• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 5th Gen. EV/IV (Training) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beck

Soul Suckin' Jerk
I have a question concerning EVs. So here goes: I transfered from my HG 3 EVed trained pokemon (none of them were lvl 100 yet), so my question is: Trough the generation shift, the method of EV calculation changed, so does that mean the EV they gained aren't good anymore?

They're fine. The EVs invested won't move around or disappear on you.

MidnightMag

Burning Star
Okay, thank you very much for the help.

wearjo

Pokemon Trader
Hmmmmm.... guyz, i wanna breed a good marvel scale dratini but i wanna know wut kind of moveset so i can mould my team around it, help is appreciated :)

AlexKZ

Yesterday I finished EV training a Healer Bellossom for my triples team.
Bold: 252 HP, 6 Def, 252 SpDef.
Moves: Gigadrain, Teeter Dance, Ingrain, Protect.

I'm happy with it. Now I need to work on the Own Tempo Ludicolo.

BabyZero

What exactly does the lady in Opelucid City tell you when the pokemon's EVs are maxed?

Azn_Blues

question about EV training

Hey guys I have a lvl 1 deino with Bashful nature. I gave it 10 calciums and 10 carbos to increase the sp. atk and speed up to 100 evs each.
Now I was wondering if this would work:
Lets say I equipped deino with exp share. Then I equipped my lvl 70 liligant with a power lens and fought basculins. After each battle, 4evs in sp. atk and 2evs in speed would be gained making a total of 6 evs. Finally, would these 6 evs be transferred to my deino? or will only the 2evs in speed be transferred to the deino?

If the above is a wrong method, would it be better to equip deino with the power lens, and then when i encounter a basculin, switch out to my liligant? Would deino still get the same 6 evs?

PokemonOwn

I think I've been doing EV Training correctly for years, but just to be sure:

If I fight one Basculin, with the Macho Brace, and with Pokerus, would my Pokemon gain 8 Speed EVs? Also, when I'm fighting with the Power Item, (For Attack), and Pokerus, would I gain 10 Attack EVs from making a Lillipup faint?

Example:

Macho Brace = X 2
Pokerus = X 2
Basculin = B = 2

(B X 2) X 2 = 8

Thanks!

bippacooleth

Quiver Dance=Success

If I fight one Basculin, with the Macho Brace, and with Pokerus, would my Pokemon gain 8 Speed EVs? Also, when I'm fighting with the Power Item, (For Attack), and Pokerus, would I gain 10 Attack EVs from making a Lillipup faint?

Example:

Macho Brace = X 2
Pokerus = X 2
Basculin = B = 2

(B X 2) X 2 = 8

Thanks!

That's right for the Power Item, but I've never used the Macho Brace so I'm not sure...

Basically, with Pokerus and the correct Power Item:

Pokemon gives 1EV = 10EVs
2EVs = 12EVs
3EVs - 14EVs

PokemonOwn

It's just because I'm not sure, as Golbat is getting a +1 in his Stat for every Lillipup.

Ratio:

EVs : Stat Gains

4 : 1
8 : 2

I really aren't sure. ):

Shockking

i dont know anymore
When Breeding: If I could get my hands on a perfect IV Ditto (or a perfect Speed one at least) and I gave it the Power Item (+Speed) would the gender of the other Pokemon matter for the baby Pokemon to get that perfect Speed IV?

Beck

Soul Suckin' Jerk

Example:

Macho Brace = X 2
Pokerus = X 2
Basculin = B = 2

(B X 2) X 2 = 8

Thanks!

Pokerus comes into account after the respected Item. You are correct, yes. A Basculin gives 2 Speed EVs; when holding a Macho Brace, your Pokemon's EV intake would multiply by 2 (double), and then be multiplyed by 2 again because of Pokerus (because that's what Pokerus does), making your total intake 8, just like you've done. If your Pokemon is holding a Power Anklet it gains an additional 4 EVs in Speed, on top of the 2 earned from Basculin (giving it 6 EVs). If your Pokemon also has Pokerus the EV intake is doubled, giving you 12 EVs (nice, eh?).

Just remember that Pokerus is second. Good luck.

When Breeding: If I could get my hands on a perfect IV Ditto (or a perfect Speed one at least) and I gave it the Power Item (+Speed) would the gender of the other Pokemon matter for the baby Pokemon to get that perfect Speed IV?

No, the Gender of the other Pokemon does not matter. Ditto can breed with any Pokemon other than legendaries and another Ditto. Further, the Power Item will always pass down the respective IV, regardless of the offspring or its parents.

Shockking

i dont know anymore
Thanks.
BTW can someone give me a pkmn with Pokerus? Its quite slow EV training w/o (not really)
Does anyone have a Ditto w/ perfect IVs or at least a perfect Speed IV that they'd be willing to give me?
I'm gonna redo my Infernape and I want it to be as fast as possible.

Last edited:

PokemonOwn

It's just weird. Thanks for confirming what I'm doing is right, but Golbat is still gaining 1 more Stat point after a battle with a Basculin.

4:1
8:2

Why isn't Golbat gaining 2 Speed Points?

Thanks, and thanks to Beck, too!

Shockking

i dont know anymore
It's just weird. Thanks for confirming what I'm doing is right, but Golbat is still gaining 1 more Stat point after a battle with a Basculin.

4:1
8:2

Why isn't Golbat gaining 2 Speed Points?

The EVs come gradually so you wont get them all at once, until its level 100 it wont have all the EVs. You also get them in level up gradually. I hope this makes sense

HandWashCasual

Okay so I have a quick question. Im IV breeding my petilil and the IV checker at the Subway says I have three stats that are "It can't be better in that regard". The stats are SP. Atk, speed, and defense. My pokemon's characteristics are "capable of taking hits", I was wondering if i could still max out sp. Atk, it's a modest nature, or if i should wait for a mischievous characteristic?

Ultimate Glalie

Okay so I have a quick question. Im IV breeding my petilil and the IV checker at the Subway says I have three stats that are "It can't be better in that regard". The stats are SP. Atk, speed, and defense. My pokemon's characteristics are "capable of taking hits", I was wondering if i could still max out sp. Atk, it's a modest nature, or if i should wait for a mischievous characteristic?
The fact that the IV checker says that those 3 stats can't be better means that Petilil has an IV of 31 in each of those stats. When a Pokemon has the same IV in 2 or more stats (and that IV is the highest IV it has), the characteristic displayed is chosen at random. So, even though your Petilil's characteristic is "Capable of taking hits", it still has an IV of 31 in Sp. Atk and you can max that stat out.

*IZ*

Alright so imma EV train my pokemon. It has pokerus . I want to EV train it 252 in attack and 126 in hp and 126 in speed. How much and which kind of pokemon should I kill for it to gain this? Do i still give it the medicines?

shrek

Hey guys i kinda lost track of my speed ev's on my darumaka and i brought back some speed reducing berries from the dream world, just wondered how many berries does it take to wipe the ev's and start again? ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.