• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 5th Gen. EV/IV (Training) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Oncoming Storm

I went to jared
im training a valcorona up to be a sp. sweeper. it has 31 speed ivs but only 6spattck ivs. it also has a sp attack boosting nature. should i continue to ev train it.

Aenea

Creator Of Victory
im training a valcorona up to be a sp. sweeper. it has 31 speed ivs but only 6spattck ivs. it also has a sp attack boosting nature. should i continue to ev train it.

It can still be perfectally good but if you want it to be the best it can be, no.

Redphienix

41 Days of Black
It can still be perfectally good but if you want it to be the best it can be, no.

While I more then prefer good IVs I am occasionally tempted to ignore em, having a great SPat rather than a perfect SPat sometimes seems fine to me :p

Depends on this and that, you won't be 100% awful by any means :p

legendary pkm master

Water Pokemon Master
I have a silly question. I'm training a Shellder and it has pkrs as well as the power anklet(speed). I battle about 2 Basculin. How many EV's in speed is that. Does the pkrs double the power anklet?

The Oncoming Storm

I went to jared
pkrs doubles the combined total of evs. so if u beat one basculine thats a speed ev and then its 4 evs in speed for the anklet. then add and double so 10 speed evs per basculin.

Last edited:

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
pkrs doubles the combined total of evs. so if u beat one basculine thats a speed ev and then its 4 evs in speed for the anklet. then add and double so 10 speed evs per basculin.
Except Basculins give 2 Speed Evs so the final the total would be 12 Speed EVs in the end
Do Pokerus still double your EVs even if it goes away?
Pokérus never goes away, you just lose the ability to spread it to other Pokémon

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
hey guys got a question...I just want to make sure im correct on this...Does the nature have more effect on the pokemon then the personality?....for example, I want to ev train my shiny charizard all over again cuaz i found out i messed up the ev training due to i was trying to ev train the wrong places...its a brave nature but has a sterdy body...so the brave nature would be more effect on the pokemon's attack, and the defense would be second or won't effect that much at all or what?...Also, I heard that there are berries that decrease the certian areas of hp,sp. def., and etc...I just want to make sure my logic is correct can some help please...

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
hey guys got a question...I just want to make sure im correct on this...Does the nature have more effect on the pokemon then the personality?....for example, I want to ev train my shiny charizard all over again cuaz i found out i messed up the ev training due to i was trying to ev train the wrong places...its a brave nature but has a sterdy body...so the brave nature would be more effect on the pokemon's attack, and the defense would be second or won't effect that much at all or what?...Also, I heard that there are berries that decrease the certian areas of hp,sp. def., and etc...I just want to make sure my logic is correct can some help please...
Nature and Characteristics are two separate things

The nature means that for certain natures a boost will be given to a stat while decreasing another.

The Brave nature means your Charizard will have a boost in Atk while its Speed will be decreased

For the Characteristics, those relate to the Pokémon's IVs and don't really serve a purpose other than telling you what your Pokémon's highest IV is. Preferably you'd want good IVs in the stat that gains a boost by the nature.

The berries you're referring to are EV reducing berries which simply reduces EVs of Pokémon and aren't affected or can affect natures or IVs

FairyWitch

Metroid Hunter
Nature and Characteristics are two separate things

The nature means that for certain natures a boost will be given to a stat while decreasing another.

The Brave nature means your Charizard will have a boost in Atk while its Speed will be decreased

For the Characteristics, those relate to the Pokémon's IVs and don't really serve a purpose other than telling you what your Pokémon's highest IV is. Preferably you'd want good IVs in the stat that gains a boost by the nature.

The berries you're referring to are EV reducing berries which simply reduces EVs of Pokémon and aren't affected or can affect natures or IVs

so are you trying to say that the nature needs to match the characteristics?...I new about the attack gain and speed gain but thank you for explaining indeep though....So highest Iv what do you mean by this?...still a beginner on ev train so just grasping the concept thats all....

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
This is a very handy guide explaining EVs, IVs and natures

Pikawho?

(five15)
C+P-ed from the previous page cause I was ignored:

Quick question regarding ev-training:

So I've been ev-training a few pokes in Special Defense and I decided to take the route of killing Gothitas. Things were going swell until it used embargo (which nullifies the macho brace).

My question is: since the macho brace is rendered useless, does that mean that the evs gained from the battle are affected? The battle is over, so I'm assuming that it would still double the evs, but I'd rather know for sure. Out of paranoia, I've done this leg of the training last.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

tl;dr: Will embargo ruin the evs gained at the end of the battle since it negates the macho brace during the battle?

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
It shouldn't affect the EVs at all, but how come you're battling Gothitas for Special Defence EVs?

Pikawho?

(five15)
Because he hasn't realized that Frillish gives Sp.Def EVs and appears 100% of the time on certain routes?

Don't have anything that can surf around that I wouldn't mind giving pokerus. But yeah, that's prolly the better route. I'll try it next time. Don't judge me. =P

Vendidurt

« Breeder »
Don't have anything that can surf around that I wouldn't mind giving pokerus. But yeah, that's prolly the better route. I'll try it next time. Don't judge me. =P

nothing that can surf? dont feel bad about spreading pokerus to anyone on your team. theres no penalty. is it a personal choice to not pass pokerus on?

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
An even better route if you can get there is Volcarona's Chambers where you'll run into Claydols 100% of the time and they give 2 SpDef EVs and a decent amount of exp

So as you may or may not know, I have recently acquired a shiny Adamant-natured Intimidate Shinx. I don't think that I'll ever obtain anything this promising again, so I would like to know a good place to EV train it. Currently I'm just beating up Patrat and (sadly) Lillipup in Route 1, but I'd like to know if there's a better place.

Status
Not open for further replies.