• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 5th Gen. EV/IV (Training) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

ok, sorry for the double post, but i have another question; i read that facing a pokemon and switching out for another to faint it will award both pokes with EVs; to clarifiy, EVs go to all pokemon in your party who have faced a fainted pokemon and not been fainted themselves before the target was. any pokes holding an EXP share also get EVs, right. so, my question is, do the EVs get divided up among your pokes, or the same number distributed to each one?

so, i face a swanna, which gives 2 speed EVs, with my spiritomb, i switch out for an eelektross to finish it, and i also have metagross holding an EXP share. do they get 0.67 speed EVs each, or 2 each?

The same number would be distributed to each one.

willsgb

WEE HUGHIE SAYS ****
The same number would be distributed to each one.

so you can do your EV training in batches once you figure out the spreads you want. excellent, cheers!

celestial phantom

Originally Posted by willsgb
any pokes holding an EXP share also get EVs, right. so, my question is, do the EVs get divided up among your pokes, or the same number distributed to each one?

They each will recieve the same number. However, the exp share thing is only if the pokemon that did the battle has the effort ribbon on it and the evs will get passed to the pokemon with the exp share who did not participate in the battle. However, I'm not sure how it works that way in gen 5 without the effort ribbon and the exp. share method.

Larry

They each will recieve the same number. However, the exp share thing is only if the pokemon that did the battle has the effort ribbon on it and the evs will get passed to the pokemon with the exp share who did not participate in the battle. However, I'm not sure how it works that way in gen 5 without the effort ribbon and the exp. share method.

It works no matter what the EVs are of the Pokemon fighting. Even if they're max.

celestial phantom

hmm...weird, so my magnezone which i leveled up using the exp share before ev training it with a sp. att boosting nature 27 iv and maxed ev in special attack which resulted in it having a sp. att stat that is four short of its possible max which is in accordance with all i have done, but raised by defeating pokemon that don't give sp. att ev's defies this logic, so it must not have gotten the memo.

Larry

hmm...weird, so my magnezone which i leveled up using the exp share before ev training it with a sp. att boosting nature 27 iv and maxed ev in special attack which resulted in it having a sp. att stat that is four short of its possible max which is in accordance with all i have done, but raised by defeating pokemon that don't give sp. att ev's defies this logic, so it must not have gotten the memo.

If you levelled it up then it was getting EVs.

Last edited:

celestial phantom

again that is weird since i battled all sorts of pokemon that gave different ev's and checking the spread that i gave it, the final stats with the what i believe correct ivs seem to fit in with its final stats even though by what your saying it should have some attack evs although it has a minimum in that stat with like an iv of 10 it fits in with what the stat is meaning that its attack is 21 under the min - with a perfect iv as set by smogon which would place it 137 which it is and most of the pokemon i faced while it had the exp share gave attack evs and no i did not use any of the ev reducing items. So, maybe i just got lucky and something happened to fit with what i wanted.

Pokemom

TCG Gym Leader, Ret.
I just did a pair of hatched gastly's in White with exp shares and let my Aggron do all the work...

both ghosts were fully EV'd by lvl25 and neither one saw any actual action.

Course now I need to decide which one I should take to VGC or if I should breed them to each other in the hopes of something better ::sigh::

Ziga

Ok this time I need help with breeding :/ ..

So what I want is a 31 IV Attack, Speed (if I could have 31 IVs in HP.. would be like a dream come true lol..) Mienfoo..
I checked trade forum but nobody giving any for trade so I guess i will need to breed one on my own...

I dont know how to start tho.. Today I decided to go catch some and gotten a male with 31 Attack IVs .. I mean i could keep on trying to catch one with the IVs i want but thats probably really rare to get two 31 IVs..
And to get one with the right Nature and Abillity... yeah...

So what should I do ): ?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Get Power items and an Everstone, and use those to pass the nature and an IV. Breed with a Ditto of the right nature.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Ok this time I need help with breeding :/ ..

So what I want is a 31 IV Attack, Speed (if I could have 31 IVs in HP.. would be like a dream come true lol..) Mienfoo..
I checked trade forum but nobody giving any for trade so I guess i will need to breed one on my own...

I dont know how to start tho.. Today I decided to go catch some and gotten a male with 31 Attack IVs .. I mean i could keep on trying to catch one with the IVs i want but thats probably really rare to get two 31 IVs..
And to get one with the right Nature and Abillity... yeah...

So what should I do ): ?

Don't limit yourself to Mienfoo, use anyone in it's egg group as a parent.

Pokemom

TCG Gym Leader, Ret.
Cross generational question...

if I EV train in Gen 4 does that affect the Gear Guy rating upon import to 5th gen or does he overlook those EV's and give the raw number?

By extension, after EV'ing/levelling in Gen4 can the berries be used in Gen5?

I'm asking because I have a '4th Generation required' issue in raising my VGC team and I want to make sure I don't screw it up somewhere :p

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Don't limit yourself to Mienfoo, use anyone in it's egg group as a parent.

Not if his 31 IV Mienfoo is male, he can't.

if I EV train in Gen 4 does that affect the Gear Guy rating upon import to 5th gen or does he overlook those EV's and give the raw number?

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but EVs are EVs, no matter what generation they're earned in. Your EVs from 4th Gen will still be the same, so the guy in the Gear Station will say the same thing he would have said had you EV'd it on a 5th Gen game.

Yes, though you may want to take into account that the EV reduction berries reduce 10 EVs from however many EVs you have in 5th Gen, whereas the first Berry will drop you to 100 if you have more than that in 4th Gen.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero

I'm asking because I have a '4th Generation required' issue in raising my VGC team and I want to make sure I don't screw it up somewhere :p

What 'Gear Guy' are you reffering to?

If a Pokemon is EV trained in Gen III, it will keep it's stats, EVs, and IVs intact upon Pal Parking/Poke Transferring. My x/x/x/31/x/31 Starmie will attest to that, IV bred and EV trained on Pokemon Emerald nearly 5 years ago, cloned, and spread across every game in each generation.

Not if his 31 IV Mienfoo is male, he can't.

What I meant was that if there is a better parent for Mienfoo that he has already caught unknowlingly, just because it's not Mienfoo doesn't mean it will not pass down IVs.

Berries can be used on anyone, the generation of games where it was created has no effect on their use.

Chandelure, apparently it has the highest special attack in the game, and i caught my first Litwick and unknowingly it had an adamant nature....time to head to Celestail Tower and kill its bretheren haha, but in all seriousness im halfway done EV training it

Pokemom

TCG Gym Leader, Ret.
What 'Gear Guy' are you reffering to?

Berries can be used on anyone, the generation of games where it was created has no effect on their use.

They guy in the Gear Station in Nimbasa that tells you how good it is. He rates IV's and I was a bit worried that EV'ing in a previous Generation might throw him off.

Very sweet on the berries, that will actually help me quite a bit - and I knew about the G4-5 differential on that, but thanks for the reminder :D

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
Chandelure, apparently it has the highest special attack in the game, and i caught my first Litwick and unknowingly it had an adamant nature....time to head to Celestail Tower and kill its bretheren haha, but in all seriousness im halfway done EV training it

You're wasting your time EV training a Litwick in Special Attack when it's nature lowers it.

Schautzie

I just hatched a snivy and an oshawott and want to properly ev train them. What stat should i focus on for each of them? Thanks

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I just hatched a snivy and an oshawott and want to properly ev train them. What stat should i focus on for each of them? Thanks

Before you EV train something, you need to decide the moveset. Not every pokemon has just ONE EV spread that works for everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.