• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 5th Gen. EV/IV (Training) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vividshock

if ur intending to make metagross im sure its good

edit: also why did they take off the vs seeker rematch from the b/w? i loved that 5 bidoof trainer

Last edited:

cybra

I have a question concerning the power items. i have been EV training with just pokerus and im a little confused with the power items my question is if i was to use the power lens on route 1 killing patrats and lillipup would i still get the 1 attack EV or would i get the 4 from the lens?

vividshock

u would get +1 from the lilpup and +4 from power item (Depending which stat it gives) then pokerus doubles that =10 so.... 1+4 = 5 >>> 5 x 2 = 10. The 2x is from pokerus

ImMichael

Pop Punk, Bro.
I accidentally posted this in a separate thread because I didn't realize this thread was here, but I have a question. I'm fairly new to EV training, and I hear it's possible to EV train Pokemon in B&W that have reached level 100. I know you have to have several of the stat berries to reset the EVs on the Pokemon, and I have plenty of the berries. My issue is this: Some of the Pokemon I'm trying to train were ones that I used during the main story, so I have no idea how many EVs they have in a particular stat. I'm worried that if I give the Pokemon too many berries, the stat will just continue to lower. Is that how it works, or will the stat simply stop lowering once the EVs have been reset? If that's the case, how many berries do I have to give each Pokemon for stats to be completely reset in each stat? I'm sorry if this is confusing, but I'm trying to figure it out and I don't want to ruin my Pokemon.

cybra

So say the EV value of the pokemon for attack is 56. i believe you would have to use 6 berries to remove all of the effort values and you wont be able to use anymore because there is no more points so to remove all the stats you would need a total of 51 berries to completly remove all the effort values of a pokemon.

Miltiades

Unbeatable
I need to ask a question.I am training a modest Rotom-W in Sp.Att.I used the 10 Calciums and now I am battling wild Litwicks,but when I gain a level the Sp.Att raises by 2-3.I never had troubles in 4th gen with EV taining.I mean when I was training a Metagross in Attack back in Platinum I was getting like +13 or something high like that when I was gaining a level.And before you ask I am using the Power items and on that certain Rotom I have 31 Sp.Att IV's which really doesn't matter in this case..So any ideas?

Draco.

Dragon Master.
im training my sneasel to max attack and max speed right now, maybe w/ 4 hp too if i can :)

then ill evolve it (maybe)

and use in my wifi team :)

I need to ask a question.I am training a modest Rotom-W in Sp.Att.I used the 10 Calciums and now I am battling wild Litwicks,but when I gain a level the Sp.Att raises by 2-3.I never had troubles in 4th gen with EV taining.I mean when I was training a Metagross in Attack back in Platinum I was getting like +13 or something high like that when I was gaining a level.And before you ask I am using the Power items and on that certain Rotom I have 31 Sp.Att IV's which really doesn't matter in this case..So any ideas?
in Generation 5, EVs are added immediately after battle, not once it levels up.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
Excuse me guys. You wouldn't believe this but I got myself a Salamence as I've raised from a Bagon then evolved to Shelgon and then Salamence. I've befriends with a little Bagon from Pokemon Dream World and then I got him a poke ball. He have an adamant nature who can use Dragon Dance from the start after I caught him. In fact, I even EV trained him for his 252 ATK/252 Speed/4 Sp.Atk before he evolved into his final form. Ok, Here's how I EV train him. As a Bagon, I give him 10 Carbos, 10 Proteins, then give him 4 Clever Wings. Next I equip him with a Macro Brace. Then battle 38 Basclins for Speed, and then battle 76 Patrats/Lilpups for the Attack. After that then he evolved. He currently at LV 61. Before he leveling up and evolved into Shelgon/Salamence, I have EV trained him with the vitamins, some wings,Macho Brace,and battling Bascilins, and Lilpups/Patrats.

Here's the Salamence that I have.

Nature: Amadant
Characteristic: Often lost in thought
Ability: Moxie

EV: 252 ATK, 252 Speed, 4 Sp. Atk
Moveset:
Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw/**Outrage
Crunch/ Fire Fang/Flamethrower
Fly/ Earthquake

Of course that I will have my Salamence to learn Outrage once I get PKMN Black 2,and White 2. With the Dragon Dance move that he got from Pokemon Dream World, he sure will have his Attack ,and speed grows stronger. As for his ability, his attack will grow even stronger after defeating the opposing pokemon. I've definitely will choose the Fire-type move over Crunch. It can help him eliminate the Ice types,Steel Types,Grass Type,and Bug Type pokemon. But I was thinking if Fire Fang would be a better choice over Flamethrower. But I don't know. With the Dragon Dance move, his attack and speed grows further. As for the fourth move, I could pick Earthquake over Fly which can help me take out the Steel,Poison, Rock, Electric,and Fire type pokemon. But I like Fly because its been his dream for him to fly. And it can take out the Bug, Fighting,and Grass type. But I'm thinking that I should have him to learn the move Earthquake. Its truly one of the most powerful attacks, and it can take out more of the opposing type pokemon.

So, what do you think? Is this set will be good enough to compete the competitive pokemon? Let me know when you have the chance. Please and thank you.

Last edited:

Flash-Sama

...Nonsense
quick question about the ev wings my friend traded me his pokemon that he said he ev trained with the vitamins and wings. he did all the math correctly and gave them the specific amount of each for it to be fully ev trained that way. he talked to the opulecid lady in white and said that after he gave them the right amount of wings and vitamins the lady said oh your pokemon needs to try harder
he then gave them 2 wings of whatever and then the lady said oh they put in a great effort
he traded them to me after he figured that out (excluding the 2 wings he didnt give the pokes due to saving beforehand)
the stats look like this

Arcanine
Adamant
Somewhat vain
hp-337
atk-336
def-168
s.atk-211
s.def-198
spd-260

Salamence
Naive
Sturdy body
hp-324
atk-341
def-195
s.atk-242
s.def-170
spd-304

those pokes dont look ev trained to me
or am i looking at them wrong ?
can someone help me please

BurningWhiteKyurem

quick question about the ev wings my friend traded me his pokemon that he said he ev trained with the vitamins and wings. he did all the math correctly and gave them the specific amount of each for it to be fully ev trained that way. he talked to the opulecid lady in white and said that after he gave them the right amount of wings and vitamins the lady said oh your pokemon needs to try harder
he then gave them 2 wings of whatever and then the lady said oh they put in a great effort
he traded them to me after he figured that out (excluding the 2 wings he didnt give the pokes due to saving beforehand)
the stats look like this

Arcanine
Adamant
Somewhat vain
hp-337
atk-336 Growlithe's max value in Attack is 319 when you count 252 EV points and average IVs. If you wanted Max+ in attack to make it 350, you need 31 IVs in Attack.

def-168
s.atk-211
s.def-198
spd-260 Speed is rather below average, but that can be attributed to low IVs

Salamence
Naive
Sturdy body
hp-324
atk-341 attack is below maximum standards since Salamence gets 369 Attack, again could be issues pertaining to Pokemon's IV
def-195
s.atk-242
s.def-170
spd-304 Speed on the other hand is above average and beyond the max threshold.

those pokes dont look ev trained to me
or am i looking at them wrong ?
can someone help me please

Analysis is in quotes, also in case it's relevant to your issues, when EV training boosts your stats, it takes up 252 EV points. However, 252 EVs does not mean that you actually get +252 in one stat when you level up, instead the stat is divided by four (since it takes 4 Pokemon to get 1 EV point traditionally). Which means that you get +63 for each stat.

On top of that, A Pokemon's IV spread determines how high or how low a stat will be (after EVs, etc). To me your Pokemon look fine and ready for combat, but if you really want to get to Max and Max+ numbers, you have the option of IV breeding.

Excuse me guys. You wouldn't believe this but I got myself a Salamence as I've raised from a Bagon then evolved to Shelgon and then Salamence. I've befriends with a little Bagon from Pokemon Dream World and then I got him a poke ball. He have an adamant nature who can use Dragon Dance from the start after I caught him. In fact, I even EV trained him for his 252 ATK/252 Speed/4 Sp.Atk before he evolved into his final form. Ok, Here's how I EV train him. As a Bagon, I give him 10 Carbos, 10 Proteins, then give him 4 Clever Wings. Next I equip him with a Macro Brace. Then battle 38 Basclins for Speed, and then battle 76 Patrats/Lilpups for the Attack. After that then he evolved. He currently at LV 61. Before he leveling up and evolved into Shelgon/Salamence, I have EV trained him with the vitamins, some wings,Macho Brace,and battling Bascilins, and Lilpups/Patrats.

Here's the Salamence that I have.

Nature: Amadant
Characteristic: Often lost in thought

EV: 252 ATK, 252 Speed, 4 Sp. Atk
Moveset:
Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw/**Outrage
Crunch/ Fire Fang/Flamethrower
Fly/ Earthquake

Of course that I will have my Salamence to learn Outrage once I get PKMN Black 2,and White 2. With the Dragon Dance move that he got from Pokemon Dream World, he sure will have his Attack ,and speed grows stronger. As for his ability, his attack will grow even stronger after defeating the opposing pokemon. I've definitely will choose the Fire-type move over Crunch. It can help him eliminate the Ice types,Steel Types,Grass Type,and Bug Type pokemon. But I was thinking if Fire Fang would be a better choice over Flamethrower. But I don't know. With the Dragon Dance move, his attack and speed grows further. As for the fourth move, I could pick Earthquake over Fly which can help me take out the Steel,Poison, Rock, Electric,and Fire type pokemon. But I like Fly because its been his dream for him to fly. And it can take out the Bug, Fighting,and Grass type. But I'm thinking that I should have him to learn the move Earthquake. Its truly one of the most powerful attacks, and it can take out more of the opposing type pokemon.

So, what do you think? Is this set will be good enough to compete the competitive pokemon? Let me know when you have the chance. Please and thank you.

Fly is actually terrible for competition since there are two common moves that opponents can use to abuse, Thunder - which will double the damage of the move (keep in mind, since it is Dragon/Flying, it loses the resistance to Electric-type moves and is now neutral), and judging by how common Weather teams are in competition, Rain teams would have a field day with Salamence as it will try to defeat it before it becomes too powerful from Moxie and DDance boosts (and Thunder has 30% chance of paralysis). Secondly, opponents can abuse Whirlwind, which can be an annoying strategy as Whirlwind makes you lose your Dragon Dance and Moxie boosts. Earthquake is a good idea as you have mentioned, since it covers a lots of typings.

For the last move, you can try various amounts of moves such as: Roost (once you get BW2) as it will greatly help in keeping Salamence alive and thrashing and gives it a reliable recovery move, not to mention that removing the Flying-type for a turn at least removes Flying-type weaknesses. Aerial Ace can help since it has STAB and no evasion/accuracy modifiers needed. Brick Break for when you're facing teams that use Light Screen and Reflect.

Last edited:

Missile157

Kingdra Trainer
hi! i'm new to EV/IV training, and i was wondering, is it possible to know the IV's of a level 1 pokemon?

(the higher level your pokemon is, the easier it is to get the accurate IV, so how accurate would it be for a level 1 pokemon?)

Well, 1 IV increases the stat by 1 at level 100. So, at level 1, an IV increases the stat by 1/100 of a stat point. Therefore, at level one, it is nearly impossible to tell the IVs using a normal IV calculator.
There may be other websites which can tell you, but I don't really know about these, they involve uploading Pokemon and things like that. I don't recommend using these website as I know nothing about them.

However, an easier way to check the IVs would be to enter the Pokemon into the Battle Subway. Then it will automatically be levelled up to level 50, and much easier to check using a calc. As, at level 50, an IV increases a stat by 1/2 of a stat point.
This method generally narrows it down to one, or sometimes 2, possible values for the IV of a stat.

Furret-Luver

yummy berries
Well, 1 IV increases the stat by 1 at level 100. So, at level 1, an IV increases the stat by 1/100 of a stat point. Therefore, at level one, it is nearly impossible to tell the IVs using a normal IV calculator.
There may be other websites which can tell you, but I don't really know about these, they involve uploading Pokemon and things like that. I don't recommend using these website as I know nothing about them.

However, an easier way to check the IVs would be to enter the Pokemon into the Battle Subway. Then it will automatically be levelled up to level 50, and much easier to check using a calc. As, at level 50, an IV increases a stat by 1/2 of a stat point.
This method generally narrows it down to one, or sometimes 2, possible values for the IV of a stat.

ooooo, ok! thank you so much!

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
Analysis is in quotes, also in case it's relevant to your issues, when EV training boosts your stats, it takes up 252 EV points. However, 252 EVs does not mean that you actually get +252 in one stat when you level up, instead the stat is divided by four (since it takes 4 Pokemon to get 1 EV point traditionally). Which means that you get +63 for each stat.

On top of that, A Pokemon's IV spread determines how high or how low a stat will be (after EVs, etc). To me your Pokemon look fine and ready for combat, but if you really want to get to Max and Max+ numbers, you have the option of IV breeding.

Fly is actually terrible for competition since there are two common moves that opponents can use to abuse, Thunder - which will double the damage of the move (keep in mind, since it is Dragon/Flying, it loses the resistance to Electric-type moves and is now neutral), and judging by how common Weather teams are in competition, Rain teams would have a field day with Salamence as it will try to defeat it before it becomes too powerful from Moxie and DDance boosts (and Thunder has 30% chance of paralysis). Secondly, opponents can abuse Whirlwind, which can be an annoying strategy as Whirlwind makes you lose your Dragon Dance and Moxie boosts. Earthquake is a good idea as you have mentioned, since it covers a lots of typings.

For the last move, you can try various amounts of moves such as: Roost (once you get BW2) as it will greatly help in keeping Salamence alive and thrashing and gives it a reliable recovery move, not to mention that removing the Flying-type for a turn at least removes Flying-type weaknesses. Aerial Ace can help since it has STAB and no evasion/accuracy modifiers needed. Brick Break for when you're facing teams that use Light Screen and Reflect.

Ok. I understand. See, I knew that Fly may not be enough for the competition, but Earthquake over Fly may be able to. Once I have BW2, then I can teach him the move "Roost". So I was thinking of this kind of moveset and items...

Items: Lum Berry(Preferred)/ Leftovers (Alt)

Dragon Dance
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Fire Fang/Roost/Brick Break/Aerial Ace

So what do you think of this moveset?

Now, here's a couple of questions. I have an Onix with the ability Strudy, then I like to evolve into a Steelix. Should I EV train an Onix before evolve itno a Steelix,or not. Like this...

252 HP/220 Def/ 36 Sp.Def

and for the moveset would be like...

Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Gyro ball
Roar/Dragon Tail

Question 2. If I like to have a wonderful Milotic, should I EV train a Feebas first, or I should evolve a Feebas into Milotic, then EV train it? Are the Uber pokemon are the good things in the Wi-Fi battles,Pokemon World Tournament, Battle Subway,and Video Game Championships? If not, then I understand. Perhaps that the OU aka Overused Pokemon are the most powerful ones in the competitive battle after all.

Question 3. If I were to EV a Tyranitar, should I EV train him in the Uber category, Overused category, or something else. You see, I want to raise them right as I want to stand a chance against the online players. Winning the Pokemon World Tournament to get more TMs from BW2. And for the official matches,and Video Game Championship. the smogon website can help.

Last edited:

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
Hey guys, I have a couple of questions I like to ask you about Milotic. Should I have it EV train like this...?

Milotic

Ability: Marvel Scale
Nature: Calm
Characteristic: Good Endurance
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD

or

Milotic

Ability: Marvel Scale
Nature: Calm
Characteristic: Good Endurance
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD

As for the moveset, I thinking of having the Rest and Sleep Talk combination.

Rest
Sleep Talk
Scald
Dragon Tail

or is their anything options that is far better? You see, I like to have a pokemon who can use Sleep Talk in just its fell a sleep. And Rest will not only will allow Milotic to get rid of the condition like Poison,Burn,Parlayed,Frozen. But with the Marvel Scale ability, it defense will increase by %50 whenever it got hit by the status move. Not only that, it will also allows Milotic to access Sleep Talk. Also it will have the opponent burn when Milotic use Scald attack. And Dragon Tail will force the opposing pokemon to be switch out. So, what do you think?

Kokuei

Hi everyone.

I have a very beginner question that I'm unsure of. I'm going to try and EV train a low level Pokemon for the first time and have looked up a few guides to understand the way it works. My question is can I just keep battling the Pokemon I need to build my stats and focus on levelling after, or do I have to level up purposely every so often? e.g. if I defeat 100 Patrats in a row will my stats go up accordingly as my Pokemon grows or do I have to have balance my levelling with the EVs I'm getting?

Thanks for your help and sorry if my question is confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.