1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Official 5th Gen. EV/IV (Training) Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation V Discussion' started by master of murkrow, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. you should've clarified. At any rate, unless you've been keeping track, the only way is to either use an AR to figure it out, or upload it to Pokécheck, which will display the EVs it has.

and I'm not sure where you're getting 30 from, it has nothing to do with it unless you've given it 30 EVs.

2. poutwuw

poutwuw Toa of Bronies

I thought I was clear when I said I know how to get EVs and did not need to be told again how to get EVs.
    But thank you for your assistance.

3. Dangertrout

Dangertrout Well-Known Member

The question wasn't very clear. I also had trouble understanding if you were asking how to tell which pokemon give what EVs or if you were asking how to calculate your own pokemon's EVs.
    But, knowing that you're after your own pokemon's EVs, I can work with that. The absolutely easiest way would be using pokecheck, which I'm not going to discuss in detail, and agonist mentioned already anyways.
    The next easiest I think would be mark down your pokemons stats. save. use EV reducing berries until they stop working. compare stats. since 4 EVs = 1 point, you should be able to tell roughly how many EVs were in each stat. (it wouldn't be exact though, it would be give or take 1-3)
    But if you're concerned about properly EV training things, it may be simpler to just EV wipe completely and retrain, keeping track of it this time. When you EV wipe you might want to check the exact IVs while you're at it. Always good to know.

4. SmeargleRocks

SmeargleRocks Reputable Trader

I recently EV trained my hariyama and found out I gave it random IV's on platinum, but did a near perfect training on my sassy amoonguss its a sp. Wall

5. FireEmblemAddict

FireEmblemAddict 運命なんか死人の言い訳だ

Does anyone have any ideas for EV training for Attack in Black 2 / White 2?

In Black and White, I trained for Attack on Route 1, but now Route 1 has many more Pokemon with different EV points. Any ideas?

6. SmeargleRocks

SmeargleRocks Reputable Trader

I am not sure yet if there is one yet I haven't found one and I just searched for one

7. draco4725

draco4725 Member

Skarmory is my favorite pokemon and I wanted to raise one that would do well in competitive battling.
    How should I distribute the EVs, what nature should it have, and what should the IVs be.

8. IVs should always be flawless, nature should be either Impish or Careful, and EVs are typically 252 HP / 252 Defense / 6 Spe or 252 HP / 252 SpD / 6 Spe.

9. draco4725

draco4725 Member

Ok Thanks.

10. Akreis

Akreis New Member

Sorry if this is covered somewhere in a different thread, but I have been reading up on ev training and so far every guide says that if I swap out my lead pokemon and then ko the wild pokemon with a different pokemon in my party they both get the evs.

Like for example I send out a Jolteon, swap it for a gengar, and then it kos a Litwick and they both get 1 sp. attack ev. Correct?

Reason I ask is because I saw somewhere on a forum that someone said that this was wrong and they said their source was from this website.

Can someone help out a newbie to the ev training? And again I sincerely apologize if this has been asked before, I tried searching for this on this site and could not find an answer.

11. Akreis

Akreis New Member

Also my friend and I are trying to figure this out.

With a macho brace fighting a lilipup and having pokerus on your pokemon you get 1 attack ev multiplied by 2, and then another 2 giving you 4 attack evs.

What about with a power bracer and pokerus? Would you; a) take the 1 attack ev and add 4 to it and then multiply by 2 from pokerus giving you 10 attack evs. Or would you b) take the 1 attack ev, multiply it by 2 giving you 2 attack evs, adding 4 from power brace to give you 6 attack evs?

Trying to figure out which is best to use.

12. FireEmblemAddict

FireEmblemAddict 運命なんか死人の言い訳だ

You are correct. Both Pokemon involved in the battle get a Sp.Atk EV from the Litwick..

As for the power braces, I'm not sure how those add up. I always EV train with Pokerus + the Macho Brace personally.

13. Power Item adds +4 to whatever the Pokemon gave you. Litwick gives 1, so it'd be +5 with the Power Lens. Add in Pokerus, and it gives +10.

14. Akreis

Akreis New Member

Thank you both very much!

15. DX 2401PT

DX 2401PT Monitor

I'm not entirely sure what other people do to EV things, but personally, I always aim for targets that are in level 50s for EVing. No, the newly hatched thing isn't going to EV itself (that'd be crazy!), but after I give it PKRS, it just holds EXP Share while a previously EVed thing does the actual battling. That way, the newly hatched Pokemon is around level 30~40 by the time the EVing is done. Once it's in the 60s, it can EV the newly hatched, so the process goes on and on. But everything has to start somewhere, which is where the Legendaries come in. They're generally at high enough levels to EV themselves.

Example, in BW:
    Adamant level 40 (or 45, can't remember) flawless Virizion just captured. It's more than capable of beating level 30~50 Basculin, which gives 2 Spd EPs and level 30s Krokorok, which gives 2 Atk EPs, in order to EV itself. Virizion holds Macho Brace for this task.

Once EVing is complete, it can't gain any more, thus it's free to start EVing other things.

It then EVs a newly hatched Adamant shiny flawless Axew, which holds EXP Share. And on and on. I prefer the not-level-100-yet-EVed-thing to be able to one-hit KO the EVing targets, and the total attack move PP to be as close to 63 as possible. That way, I don't have to pay any attention while EVing and know that I won't mess it up.

16. CuteWhimsicott

CuteWhimsicott New Member

hey all, i'm new here and i have a question. i'm planning catching a Volcarona so i'll like to know wat are good natures for it? and the right way to EV train Volcarona

17. Stardastarly

Stardastarly Sylveon~ :D

Because Volcarona are best at Sp. Attack, I would personally go for a Modest nature. This way, it could work well to go for 252 EVs in Sp. Attack, 200 in Speed, and the remaining 52 in Sp. Defense.

I'm not sure if that would be the best way to run it, but it should work okay.

18. Timid is generally preferred, so you can get the speed tie with other +Spe base 100's. Modest can work, but you'd be better off running a bulkier set if you choose to run Modest.

19. CuteWhimsicott

thx everyone : ) if i need more help is it ok to come back and ask you guys?

20. CuteWhimsicott

i got a Keldeo, how do i EV train him? i don't remember his nature

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.