• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 5th Gen. EV/IV (Training) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiisai-Kagami♥

Kimono Girl Chiisai
Okay, so what if you lost track/didn't calculate your ev's while training at all? I'm just casually leveling and what not just...but now I wanna properly fix stats but idk how many evs are in the stats I have already

Dangertrout

Okay, so what if you lost track/didn't calculate your ev's while training at all? I'm just casually leveling and what not just...but now I wanna properly fix stats but idk how many evs are in the stats I have already

For that sort of situation I would just get a mess of EV reducing berries and use them to make sure all the EVs were wiped back to zero.

Dangertrout

Ah, see that wouldn't work unless you know the IVs of your pokemon. And you can't calculate the IVs unless you know the EVs.
I believe that once the EVs are gone the berries stop having an effect. Give me a few minutes and I'll verify that. Or someone who knows for sure can post to confirm that's how they work.

edit - yep, once the EVs are wiped the message changes to saying "Its base *stat* can't go lower". So you may end up using more berries than necessary if you just spam A.

Last edited:

pwnswitchclik

Alakazaminator
One question: If my pokemon has pokerus and is holding a power lens and feed him 1 calcium, does it get 80 EVs?

I have to say, the most useful thing in the world for IV breeding is having Ditto with maxed stats, it just helps so much in starting out the process. I got lucky and got a japanese ditto with a maxed HP stat in a trade, and then caught a ditto with a maxed Special Attack stat by chance. Sooo helpful.

TheDarkrai

Magic Bounce Espeon!
Anyone know where one could find a Little Cup EV Training Guide? I can only find them for 4th gen, but I'm playing 5th... I get that wings are the best way, but it would be nice to have some low-level hotspot suggestions etc... Bridge drops are tedious to collect.

EDIT: This is all I could come up with, after looking at a heap of routes on Serebii Pokearth. Most of the LC EV Hotspots are bad, but it is the best I can come up with for minimizing EXP. Feel free to edit, post and improve as long as I'm referenced. Thanks.

5th Gen Little Cup EV Training by TheDarkrai

To comprehend this guide, you should already know all about regular EV Training.

The issue with EV'ing LC pokemon is that they need their EXP to be kept to a minimum, and many of the commonly used EV training hotspots are too high level for your LC competitors to stay Lv.5.

The simplest way around this is wings, but if you have rode up and down a bridge for hours searching for them, you, like me, will think there is a much easier way.

At a low-level hotspot like the ones below, take a team of 6 pokemon, including your little cup pokemon you wish to EV. Equip this pokemon with pokerus and the necessary power item, and for each battle, cycle through the whole team to minimize EXP gain. While these routes are nowhere near as effiecient as the regular EV training hotspots, they are the kinda bad low-level alternatives. I would suggest using a combination of these routes and wings so as to not go over level 5. Also, in Join Avenue in B2W2, there are services greatly beneficial to the EV system. The drawback of this is no one is actually sure of the mechanics of this, so it will stuff up your EV training unless you max out the EVs in that stat then tailor them with EV reducing berries and wings.

Attack
Route 1 BW
Route 19 B2W2 Lilipup (NOT purrloin.)

Special Attack
Floccesy Ranch B2W2 Mareep and Psyduck (quite a bad spot for it, but everywhere else is too high levelled. Avoid the Lillipup, Azurill, Patrat, Pidove and Riolu. Told you this route was bad.)

Speed
Route 2 BW Purrloin (NOT lillipup or patrat.)
Route 19 B2W2 Purrloin (NOT lillipup.)

These are all the usable LC EV hotspots, as other places all have too high levels to be viable.

Have fun tediously training your Little Cup winners!

Last edited:

pwnswitchclik

Alakazaminator
I'm trying to get myself into this EV training business because I believe that will get me far in Battle Subway or in the PWT. I want to put in my soon-to-be Alakazam (an RNG'd UT infant modest Abra at the moment) into this process, from what I hear Alakazam is one of the best SP. Attackers of all pokemon, so other than it's Sp. Attack, what is the other stat it's EVs should I max out and to where should I invest the leftover 4 EVs?

Also, is Gengar a great Sp. Attacker?

Arlo

...and so on...
I'm trying to get myself into this EV training business because I believe that will get me far in Battle Subway or in the PWT. I want to put in my soon-to-be Alakazam (an RNG'd UT infant modest Abra at the moment) into this process, from what I hear Alakazam is one of the best SP. Attackers of all pokemon, so other than it's Sp. Attack, what is the other stat it's EVs should I max out and to where should I invest the leftover 4 EVs?
You're best off putting the other EVs into speed, as Zam never will have good defenses, so it's just a waste of the EVs. For Zam, and for anything that's not getting a full 252 in hit points, I generally put the extra 4 there, just because an extra point of HP might make a difference some time.

Also, is Gengar a great Sp. Attacker?
Absolutely. Build it just like Zam - Modest or Timid with 252 in special attack and speed.

cantavanda

Blue Rose Princess
I'm now training a chandelure but EV training never works in black, it did in Diamond...

Yes it does. I assume you're talking about how you don't see large increases in its stats when it levels up? That's because EVs are applied directly after battle now.

Arlo

...and so on...
Yes it does. I assume you're talking about how you don't see large increases in its stats when it levels up? That's because EVs are applied directly after battle now.
That was a nice change in this gen, but it caught me off guard and took me a while to figure it out. I first noticed something was up when I was EV training... I don't remember what... with 252 Atk, on Route 1. It was somewhere in the mid-levels, so it made it all the way through 252 attack EVs without leveling up, so I expected a big boost at the next level up and, as has been my habit, went out of my way to get another level up just so that the new EVs would be applied, and then didn't get that big boost and didn't know what to make of that. I didn't figure it out until I was training something else that had slightly skewed defenses, and it only took a few EVs in one of them to even them, and I had a few to burn, so I went ahead and did it. At the next level up, I noticed that the current numbers were already even, and I had a moment when I thought, "Damn - I'm SURE those weren't even before," and then it came to me and I started watching and figured it out. Means I don't have to do that extra level-up just to get the EVs to apply, which is one of those little improvements that I appreciate.

pwnswitchclik

Alakazaminator
Guys, there's something going on that I can't lay my finger on:

11df625a9dd2a5a12494b4c51a9a7c91.JPG

Wasn't a pokemon supposed to have only two maxed stats (252 each) and a stat with leftover four? Can anyone explain the Defense EV's?

Status
Not open for further replies.