1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Official 5th Gen. EV/IV (Training) Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation V Discussion' started by master of murkrow, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwnswitchclik

pwnswitchclik Alakazaminator

Well that bummed me, because I didn't fed him any EV feathers and the only pokemon I had him face was a litwick.

2. It really doesn't matter, those extra two EVs are irrelevant.

3. TRIFORCEJAY88

TRIFORCEJAY88 New Member

Hey guys im new to this ev training I researched a bit but not very sure if im doing this right! I have collected the wings and tried ev training a hitmonlee with vitamins and wings I just randomly seen someone say to use vitamins and wings!? any advice? also im wanting to train a Haxorus in attack and speed!

4. Arlo

Arlo ...and so on...

Here's my sincere and well-meaning advice - follow this link and read everything. Come back when you have a better understanding of how it works and can ask more specific questions. We'll be more than happy to help you out with specific things, but first you need to understand the basic principles, and they've already been written out.

5. TRIFORCEJAY88

TRIFORCEJAY88 New Member

Thank you Arlo I get it a little better now. Forgive me if this is a dumb question but I believe if I lets say i raise a haxorus in attack and speed I could use 10 protein 10 carbos. Also possibly 152 of both muscle and swift wings I believe it would max out the attack and speed!?.One more question please if you don't mind? Would it be best to to hatch a axew with Adamant and a characyeristic to increase speed but when hatched then proceed to give it the ev supplements to max out its ev's, then lvl it up with random battles. or is it more effective to evolve into haxorus then use ev's then lvl?

6. Arlo

Arlo ...and so on...

Yes it would, though finding 152 of each of those wings is probably more hassle than it's worth. It's easier to take your Haxorus after giving it 10 proteins (which'll give it 100 Attack EVs) and go fight some things that give out Attack EVs. Route 1 is the easiest place, since it's just Lillipups and Patrats, and they both give out 1 Attack EV each, so all you have to do is fight and faint 152 of them, and you've got the same EVs without having to slog up and down the Bridge hunting for feathers. PLUS - when you get EVs from battles, you can use items to speed the process up. The Macho Brace doubles whatever EVs you gain, so each Lillipup or Patrat will give you 2 instead of just 1, and the Power Bracer (buy it in the Battle Subway for 16bp) adds 4 Attack points to whatever you get, so you get 5 total from each Lillipup or Patrat. So put the Macho Brace on your Haxorus and you only need to faint 76 of them, or put the Power Bracer on it and you only need to faint 30 (plus 1 more with the Macho Brace on, to equal 152) You can do the same with Speed. Instead of gathering all those wings, just Surf alongside Route 1 and fight Basculin. Each one of them gives out 2 Speed EVs, so you only need to faint 76 of them. Or 38 of them if you put the Macho Brace on Haxorus, since that'll double it to 4 EVs each. Or you can get the Power Anklet from the Battle Subway (another 16bp), which gives out 4 Speed EVs per battle, regardless of what you fight.

A good FAQ for EV training, and a list of good spots to train for specific things, is here

Well - first - the characteristic doesn't enhance anything - it's just an indicator of the existing IVs. The only thing that enhances anything is the nature - like Adamant, which adds 10% to Attack and subtracts 10% from Special Attack. The characteristic is just whichever stat is highest, and it varies according to exactly what it is. There are only five of them per stat, so they repeat, so for instance, if you get a Haxorus that says "Alert to sounds," that means that its other stats are lower than its speed, but its speed could be 31 or 26 or 21 or 16 or 11 or even 6 or 1. It sort of implies that that number is high, since all the rest are lower, but it doesn't necessarily mean it is. There's some more detail about it in the FAQ I linked.

Regarding when to do EV training, it doesn't really matter from a technical standpoint - the points add in the right way no matter when you gain them - but practically it's best to do it as soon as possible, just because pokemon gain EVs after every battle they participate in, and if you're not careful, they'll end up with EVs you don't want them to have. Have a Haxorus fight a Lilligant, for instance, and it'll gain Special Attack EVs, and then you're stuck with Special Attack EVs you don't want or need. So it's just easier to do all the EV training first, then go work on leveling up after the EVs are maxed and it doesn't matter what you fight.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  7. TRIFORCEJAY88

TRIFORCEJAY88 New Member

Thank you so much Arlo! I will get to my ev training a studys right away and train up the haxorus attack and speed! Ill message you again in the future if i need your help again! And again THANK YOU! (^_^)

8. ludiloco

ludiloco Well-Known Member

I don't get it.

My Archepos has jolly nature and a decent base speed, why is it getting outsped in the PWT/Battle Subway by pokemon with less base speed?

I tried to raise its speed in the join avenue, but it's said that it's already strong.

Do I have to train another one since the begining or is there a way to fix its speed?

9. Thowra

Thowra The Silver Brumby

Is there a way to find out the EVs of your pokemon? I wanted to give my latias 180 evs in sp def, and I gave her the power item while fighting frillish to speed up her training. But what I didn't realise was that pokerus doubled ALL gained evs, and not just evs from a wild pokemon, so essentially my latias got 10 evs rather than the 8 evs I predicted everytime she killed a frillish. I realised this too late, and now I'm not sure what EVs she has. Sp def isn't maximised though as Bianca only commented on my latias' defense. I'd hate to have to erase everything to start all over again...

Those pokemon outspeeding you are holding choice scarves, I believe.

10. You could use Pokecheck to figure out the EVs. Alternately, if you know the exact IVs of your Latias, you can calculate the EVs.

11. Lt. BLEU™

Lt. BLEU™ Top Class Lieutenant

hey there.....i've been ev trainin my blissey in hp
    i know it's already got 252-hp 252-sp def 4-sp atk
    and right now it's at lvl 34......so now that i'm done accumalating evs can i put it away into the day care?and still end up with the expected result......!!

12. ludiloco

ludiloco Well-Known Member

Not really. My Archeops always gets outsped by Lance dragons even when they have less base speed than him and only his Haxorus uses choice scarf, why the others outsped him too?

13. pwnswitchclik

pwnswitchclik Alakazaminator

For EV training purposes, what are Shiftry's, Exeggutor's and Salamence's best "assets"? And Nature-wise, what suits them?

Like, I know Alakazam's main one is Sp.Attack, or an Aggron's is (or could be, not sure) Defense, and someone sometime ago said Gyarados has an awful Sp.Attack, but great physical Attacker nonetheless.

14. Thowra

Thowra The Silver Brumby

Oh lol I just ended up erasing her sp attack, maxing sp defense, then reducing the sp. def to the desired EVs XD

Also, just a question, less to do with actually training but an IV question - I know that wurmple evolves into either silcoon or cascoon depending on its IVs, and that nature is also determined by IVs...Does that mean if I make one of the parents hold an everstone for a specific nature, and the other parent to hold a power item for a specific IV, I can force the baby wurmple to later evolve into either beautifly or dustox? I'm only asking because I want to MM a shiny dustox and beautifly, and I simply don't want double-ups of one or the other, the entire process takes too long anyway.

15. IVs have absolutely nothing to do with Cascoon/Silcoon (nature doesn't have anything to do with IVs either, at least in Gen 5), it's all dependent on the PID. Simply put, without RNG abuse, it'll be entirely random.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  16. Thowra

Thowra The Silver Brumby

Oh, bummer. I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope I get lucky then...

17. Shego

Shego 90% Kissshipper

Excuse me guys. If I were to EV train my soon to be Leavanny, then give 10 Carbos, equipped with Macho Brace,and have the pokerus, how many Basclins do I have to take down to reach the EV of 152? I know that each vitamins worth +10, Basclins worth +2 for speed. Swift Feathers worth +2, pokerus doubles the points of EV,same thing goes for Macho Brace. According to my calculations, the number for the effort values is 6.5 after I gave it 10 carbos, it have the pokerus,and equipped with Macho Brace. Any ideas how to reach the EV to 152 of Speed? Let me know when you have the chance. Please and thank you.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  18. Arlo

Arlo ...and so on...

This is the order in which the game calculates EVs - base EVs, then item bonuses, then pokerus. So you start with the base EVs - each Basculin provides 2. Then add in the effect from any EV-enhancing item (Macho Brace or power item) - the Macho Brace doubles EV gain, so at that point, each Basculin counts for 4 Speed EVs. Then add in the effect from Pokerus, which doubles EV gain WITH the effect of any EV enhancing item, so that's 8 Speed EVs from each Basculin. And that's your total. 152 divided by 8 is 19, so you'd need to faint 19 Basculin.

By the way - Swift Feathers are always worth +1. EV enhancements only apply to EVs gained through battle - vitamins are always worth 10 and feathers are always worth 1.

19. Shego

Shego 90% Kissshipper

Sorry about my slight miscalutions of Swift Feathers. I already knew that each feather worth +1. And I already know that vitamins worth 10+ each. But what's trying to ask you is how many Basculins can I take on after gave him 10 carbos, then give him pokerus,then equipped him with Macho Brace? You see, according to my calculations, if he got 100EVs due to the 10 Carbos, then give him pokerus,then equipped him with Macho Brace, the amount of Bascilns will be 6.5. You see, I've already got plans for 104 HP,and 152 ATK. The real and most important question is how can I reach its 152 EV Speed after all of this? Should I battle 19 Basclins while have a pokerus and wearing Macho Brace without giving vitamins? Or anything else? Sorry about the vitamins, it just that I want to get this job done quickly as possible. Is there's something wrong of using the vitamins? If so, then I got the EV reducing berries as the back up plan in case there's something wrong.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  20. Arlo

Arlo ...and so on...

I have absolutely no idea what "the amount of Bascilns will be 6.5" even means.

Again - each Basculin gives 2 speed EVs. The macho brace doubles the EVs to 4 each. Pokerus doubles THAT to 8 each. 152 divided by 8 equals 19.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.