• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 5th Gen. EV/IV (Training) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Head Honchkrow

I've just read up on IV breeding and it sounds really confusing, so I just wanna run it by you guys, just so I know I've got it right:

Let's say I have two Shelmet parents. One has 31 HP IVs and the other has 31 in Speed. They're both holding the respective Power Items for those stats and I breed them until I have a male Shelmet with both 31 IVs in HP & Speed.
Now, if I were to then breed that male (while he holds the Power Anklet) with another female (who has 31 HP & Sp. Atk IVs and hold the Power Lens), would I be able to hatch a Shelmet with 31 IVs in HP, Sp. Atk & Speed?

Also, do you really need to raise the Pokemon to Lv. 50 to get an accurate IV reading?
I read on another site that you only need to raise them to Lv. 15...

~The Head Honchkrow~

Aenea

Creator Of Victory
I've just read up on IV breeding and it sounds really confusing, so I just wanna run it by you guys, just so I know I've got it right:

Let's say I have two Shelmet parents. One has 31 HP IVs and the other has 31 in Speed. They're both holding the respective Power Items for those stats and I breed them until I have a male Shelmet with both 31 IVs in HP & Speed.
Now, if I were to then breed that male (while he holds the Power Anklet) with another female (who has 31 HP & Sp. Atk IVs and hold the Power Lens), would I be able to hatch a Shelmet with 31 IVs in HP, Sp. Atk & Speed?

Also, do you really need to raise the Pokemon to Lv. 50 to get an accurate IV reading?
I read on another site that you only need to raise them to Lv. 15...

~The Head Honchkrow~

As to the first question, no. It would only have IV's in the item you gave it to pass on, the rest would be random even if the parents had 31 IV's in the other stats.

As to the second question, you can raise them to whatever level you like, but you'll find out the higher the level the more accurate the IV calvulator will be.

The easiest way to do this is via rare candy leveling, and then reset your game so you still have them after you have calculated your IV's.

The Head Honchkrow

As to the first question, no. It would only have IV's in the item you gave it to pass on, the rest would be random even if the parents had 31 IV's in the other stats.

:( I knew I'd gone wrong somewhere...
So how would you go about it then? Would it be easier to pass down just the IVs for Sp. Atk & Speed?

~The Head Honchkrow~

Aenea

Creator Of Victory
So how would you go about it then? Would it be easier to pass down just the IVs for Sp. Atk & Speed?

~The Head Honchkrow~

It depends what IV's you want, but potentially yes.

bippacooleth

Quiver Dance=Success

~The Head Honchkrow~

For Accelgor, I would just go for those two, as they're all he really needs as he isn't going to be taking many hits either way. In some cases its better to try for more, and it isn't actually too difficult, if you work out a system. Most of my EV trained 'mons have three 31IVs, although having a ditto for every IV does help speed this process along.

The Head Honchkrow

OK. Going by what you've said, here's my revised method:

I have two Shelmet parents (denoted M1 & F1) and their IV spreads are as such (HP/Atk/Def/Sp.Atk/Sp.Def/Spd):

M1: X/X/X/X/X/31 (equipped w/ Power Anklet)
F1: X/X/X/31/X/X (Modest & equipped w/ Everstone)

I breed them until I get a male (denoted M2) and a female (denoted F2).
Their IV spreads are:

M2: X/X/X/31/X/31 (equipped w/ Power Anklet)
F2: X/X/X/31/X/31 (Modest & equipped w/ Everstone)

Breeding these two, would the resulting offspring have a good chance of inheriting both of the perfect IVs?

~The Head Honchkrow~

Aenea

Creator Of Victory
OK. Going by what you've said, here's my revised method:

I have two Shelmet parents (denoted M1 & F1) and their IV spreads are as such (HP/Atk/Def/Sp.Atk/Sp.Def/Spd):

M1: X/X/X/X/X/31 (equipped w/ Power Anklet)
F1: X/X/X/31/X/X (Modest & equipped w/ Everstone)

I breed them until I get a male (denoted M2) and a female (denoted F2).
Their IV spreads are:

M2: X/X/X/31/X/31 (equipped w/ Power Anklet)
F2: X/X/X/31/X/31 (Modest & equipped w/ Everstone)

Breeding these two, would the resulting offspring have a good chance of inheriting both of the perfect IVs?

~The Head Honchkrow~

They would have a 1 in 6 chance of inheriting them, so yes.

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
What is better for Mandibuzz

Bold or Impish?

I want to hear opinions, both can be used well.. but though his movepool is more Special based.. while his stats are more attack based

Aenea

Creator Of Victory
What is better for Mandibuzz

Bold or Impish?

I want to hear opinions, both can be used well.. but though his movepool is more Special based.. while his stats are more attack based

I'd go with the sp. attack lowering nature.

Moves could be: Aerial Ace, U-Turn, Brave Bird, Faint Attack.

I don't actually have a Mandibuzz so there might be better suggestions, though.

Ballistic Buizel

caught shiny lati@s
What is the best EV spread for a gliscor?

VolcaronaZero

Claydol User
Alright, my TRU Axew was just hatched. I have some questions, however.

-What should I EV it in? (He has PKRS)
-What Pokemon are good for training him?
-Can I EV train him via Exp. Share?

Please answer!

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Alright, my TRU Axew was just hatched. I have some questions, however.

-What should I EV it in? (He has PKRS)
-What Pokemon are good for training him?
-Can I EV train him via Exp. Share?

Please answer!
I'd personally go for Atk and Speed if it's a good nature. For Atk you can train on Route 1 as they all give 1 Atk EV each (Dragonspiral Tower is the same except for Druddigon as that gives 2 Atk EVs)

As for Speed, Basculin. That's all you need, 2 Speed EVs every time you beat one.

You can train using the Exp Share yes

FlaylexFayte

Oh HERE'S the IV Training thread :\ I was looking it up under "Breeding..."

... Alright, here's the question that I tried to make a thread about, not knowing that this was here:

If I have two flawless parents, will their offspring be flawless or is it still a guessing game? Is it possible to breed Pokemon repeatedly and make my way up to a flawless Pokemon or is it still a huge guessing game?

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Oh HERE'S the IV Training thread :\ I was looking it up under "Breeding..."

... Alright, here's the question that I tried to make a thread about, not knowing that this was here:

If I have two flawless parents, will their offspring be flawless or is it still a guessing game? Is it possible to breed Pokemon repeatedly and make my way up to a flawless Pokemon or is it still a huge guessing game?
The offspring inherits 3 IVs from its parents and the rest are random. You can use a Power item on one of the parents to always force that particular IV on the offspring

nunzio722

levitating fetus
i am ev training my adamant axew, and am planning to give it 252 ev's in attack. but it's only level 1 so the patrat on route 1 keep killing it, so is their a way to give it ev's without putting it at risk of being fainted. also, it has pokerus, and currently is untouched.

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
i am ev training my adamant axew, and am planning to give it 252 ev's in attack. but it's only level 1 so the patrat on route 1 keep killing it, so is their a way to give it ev's without putting it at risk of being fainted. also, it has pokerus, and currently is untouched.
Exp Share or if you just want to level it up without giving it EVs then Rare Candy or the Daycare Centre works

Skandy

Hi, I am new to EV training, I have read the guide and still have a couple of questions...

First: Is there a guide that tells you the EV points given by various Pokemon?
e.g. If I want to EV train in speed could I find a list of all Pokemon that give a point in speed?

Second: Which Pokemon give EV points and how?
e.g. Do you only get EV points from wild Pokemon encounters, or does it apply to trainer battles as well?

Thanks for this, I am a bit of a noob :p

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Hi, I am new to EV training, I have read the guide and still have a couple of questions...

First: Is there a guide that tells you the EV points given by various Pokemon?
e.g. If I want to EV train in speed could I find a list of all Pokemon that give a point in speed?

Second: Which Pokemon give EV points and how?
e.g. Do you only get EV points from wild Pokemon encounters, or does it apply to trainer battles as well?

Thanks for this, I am a bit of a noob :p
On here you can click on By Effort Values and it should give you what you want

All Pokémon that you beat gives EVs, if a Pokémon gets exp from the battle then it also gets EVs. Both trainer battles and wild

Donovansrb10

Dream World Hunter
I've never IV Trained so help me out. I heard that Japanese flawless dittos of each nature are good for IV training and, when breeded, a good chance of a shiny. I've also heard that if you have rare candies, up your pokèmon to level 50, check its IVs and reset, you can find out if its flawless. But the IV calculator looks so confusing and it would be a pain to get 2,400 battle points for rare candies. I also heard of the everstone + power item thing. Can someone please help me out?

Status
Not open for further replies.