• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 5th Gen. EV/IV (Training) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
I've never IV Trained so help me out. I heard that Japanese flawless dittos of each nature are good for IV training and, when breeded, a good chance of a shiny. I've also heard that if you have rare candies, up your pokèmon to level 50, check its IVs and reset, you can find out if its flawless. But the IV calculator looks so confusing and it would be a pain to get 2,400 battle points for rare candies. I also heard of the everstone + power item thing. Can someone please help me out?
When Pokémon breed, the offspring inherits 3 IVs from its parents so if you have flawless parents it will have at least three 31 IV stats.

When you breed with a foreign language Pokémon the offspring has a 1/1366 chance of being a Shiny Pokémon.

You don't need to use rare candies as you can just go to the Battle Subway write down your stats and then insert them in an IV calculator and it will calculate your Pokémon's IVs

If one parent holds an everstone while breeding, the offspring has a 50% chance of sharing the same nature.

If you attach a power item to one of the parents, all offspring will share the relating IV stat of that particular parent.

I hope that helps

Donovansrb10

Dream World Hunter
^IV calculators are very confusing. Maybe I should stick with natures and EV training...
-
So, which would be better (I'm thinking the second choice, BTW)
Option 1: Breed azurimon's DW female poliwag holding power lens with rash male japanese polioted/rash japanese ditto
-
Option 2: Breed azurimon's DW poliwag holding power lens with male japanese polioted/japanese ditto to get a male modest poliwag holding a everstone to mate with azurimon's poliwag.
-
Which would get me a shiny modest faster?

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Depends if your main priority is getting a modest shiny. I've no idea what your final goal is

cannibaleyes

Holier Than Thou
^IV calculators are very confusing. Maybe I should stick with natures and EV training...
-
So, which would be better (I'm thinking the second choice, BTW)
Option 1: Breed azurimon's DW female poliwag holding power lens with rash male japanese polioted/rash japanese ditto
-
Option 2: Breed azurimon's DW poliwag holding power lens with male japanese polioted/japanese ditto to get a male modest poliwag holding a everstone to mate with azurimon's poliwag.
-
Which would get me a shiny modest faster?
If you're going for DW ability, then you won't be able to use a Ditto, unfortunately. The females only pass the DW abilities down when bred with a pokemon that is not Ditto, I believe. D=

But you could always breed for a good father with a ditto, I suppose. =)

Donovansrb10

Dream World Hunter
^I can use my Male Polioted to breed a male modest poliwag to train to learn moves to breed with DW poliwag then. =D
^^Points Below ↓
-
Father Poliwag:
Nature: Modest
Item: Everstone
OT: me
Moveset:
Hydro Pump/Surf/Scald
Hydro Pump/Surf/Scald
Ice Beam
Psychic/???
-
Mother Poliwag:
Ability: Dream World Ability
Item: Power Lens
OT: azurimon
-
I'm trying to get any Shiny Modest DW Poliwag to evolve to Polioted with drizzle. So, would this work in at least 4000 hatches? They have a 70% chance of getting a egg, and I have a flame body pokèmon.

Last edited:

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
^I can use my Male Polioted to breed a male modest poliwag to train to learn moves to breed with DW poliwag then. =D
^^Points Below ↓
-
Father Poliwag:
Nature: Modest
Item: Everstone
OT: me
Moveset:
Hydro Pump/Surf/Scald
Hydro Pump/Surf/Scald
Ice Beam
Psychic/???
-
Mother Poliwag:
Ability: Dream World Ability
Item: Power Lens
OT: azurimon
-
I'm trying to get any Shiny Modest DW Poliwag to evolve to Polioted with drizzle. So, would this work in at least 4000 hatches? They have a 70% chance of getting a egg, and I have a flame body pokèmon.
Basically you want a Shiny Modest Poliwag with Swift Swim. What do you want with IVs? What about egg moves?

To get that Shiny Modest Poliwag with Swift Swim you just need a male Poliwag with the moves you want (holding an everstone if it's a Modest one) breeding with a female Dream World Poliwag (holding an everstone if it's a Modest one)

Either the male or the female has to be a foreign language one to increase your shiny chance

Donovansrb10

Dream World Hunter
^Well, I don't know anyone that have a japanese pokemon b/w and would be nice enough to give me a modest one so, I'll just search the GTS and hope I get lucky. Oh, I wanted good IVs in Special Attack
-
EDIT: I got a modest male japanese poliwag on my 2nd trade! :D
Thanks for all your help!

Last edited:

Concordia

The Dreamwalker
I have a major question revolving passing down natures via Everstone method. Since I'm trying to get several Modest Deino's - currently breeding a
Ditto (Naive) Female and a Deino (Modest) Male would attatching the Everstone to the Male mean that the offspring had a 50% boosted chance of being Modest or would they still stay Naive?

Donovansrb10

Dream World Hunter
I have a major question revolving passing down natures via Everstone method. Since I'm trying to get several Modest Deino's - currently breeding a
Ditto (Naive) Female and a Deino (Modest) Male would attatching the Everstone to the Male mean that the offspring had a 50% boosted chance of being Modest or would they still stay Naive?

It would have a 50% chance of being the nature of the pokèmon that you gave the item to.

thatguycharizard34

so AWH-SOME /)^ɛ^(\
ferroseed = likes being every nature EXCEPT relaxed

admitted, im not using an everstone, but still :/

thatguycharizard34

so AWH-SOME /)^ɛ^(\
Im EV'ing my flawless shiny eevvee and its timid so what should i evolve it to and evs shud i use?

jolteon :) flareon is physical and espeon doesnt generally function well under the speed boost ive found

RealFlex

How do you guys ev train without kiling yourself? I was training my piplup and after killing 30 jellicent I quit cause it was boring as ****. Also, what is the difference between EV training and IV training?

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
How do you guys ev train without kiling yourself? I was training my piplup and after killing 30 jellicent I quit cause it was boring as ****. Also, what is the difference between EV training and IV training?

It's not hard if you have Pokerus, Power items, and cash to spend on steroids.

You can't train IVs. You have to breed for them.

Beck

Soul Suckin' Jerk

It takes patience. Use the Power Items found in the Battle Subway, and Pokerus to speed up the proccess. If you want a Pokemon to be trained properly, as far as competitive battles go, then learn to have patience.

IVs are like the Pokemon's DNA, more or less. They are set - and can not be changed - upon meeting or hatching the Pokemon. They determine the way the Pokemon gains stat points. In essence, you can not "IV train."

EVs can be added to your Pokemon by battling other Pokemon in-game. Any Pokemon can have the same EV distribution (unlike IVs - though, there are some methods to obtain amazing IVs ;)), despite its species, or any other factor such as gender or level, when manipulated properly. Certain Pokemon give your Pokemon certain EVs when defeated, in addition to EXP points.

Check out the IVs and EVs pages here at Serebii for a more in-depth explanation of how both work, and what they do.

toasterkid

Breeder
If you already have a Pokemon with the natures and iv you think you want, the best way to start out is by buying Proteins, Calcium, etc. and giving them to your Pokemon. They can be found at Mall Nine and you can give your pokemon ten of each.
Example: You could give ten proteins to an Adamant natured Pokemon, to increase its attack, and ten carbos to increase speed. You cannot give more than ten of any "drug" to a Pokemon however.

RealFlex

another dumb question lol. When you're ev training, when lets say a chimchar evolves do the ev's reset or the count of pokemon it has killed?

Status
Not open for further replies.