• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 5th Gen. EV/IV (Training) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
So as you may or may not know, I have recently acquired a shiny Adamant-natured Intimidate Shinx. I don't think that I'll ever obtain anything this promising again, so I would like to know a good place to EV train it. Currently I'm just beating up Patrat and (sadly) Lillipup in Route 1, but I'd like to know if there's a better place.
Dragonspiral Tower has Mienfoo and Golett which give 1 Atk EVs and Druddigon which give 2 Atk EVs

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
Currently i am training a crustle in defense against durant. But the durant are super effective on crustle. Is there a better place to train?
Personally I train in Pinwheel Forest in the doubles grass (on the way to the Rumination Field) as Swadloon and Venipede gives 2 Defence EVs each and there's a 50% chance of running into them.

Basically if you run into anything else, faint any Swadloon and Venipede that are present before doing so. I find this works quite well for me

Solfatara

Forest-Dweller
Currently i am training a crustle in defense against durant. But the durant are super effective on crustle. Is there a better place to train?

I personally prefer Springwell cave, despite Roggenrola's sturdy ability. They appear fearly often, and they are at such low levels it's never really a bother to defeat them. I would use the power belt though.

~Light

I don't feel like reading through 61 pages so I'll just ask my question here :

Can someone explain how you EV/IV train ? ( is there a difference between EV and IV ? )

All I know about this is the following : If you want to train a Pokémon in special attack, you need to beat Pokémon that have Effort Values in special attack ( like litwick ). You have to beat 255 Pokémon or so, but only half if you have Pokérus ?

Can someone confirm if I'm correct ?

And can someone give an example if I like want to EV train an adamant Tepig and a Jolly Snivy ?

Thx a lot to whoever answers my question :)

Pengyzu

Can someone explain how you EV/IV train ? ( is there a difference between EV and IV ? )

All I know about this is the following : If you want to train a Pokémon in special attack, you need to beat Pokémon that have Effort Values in special attack ( like litwick ). You have to beat 255 Pokémon or so, but only half if you have Pokérus ?

And can someone give an example if I like want to EV train an adamant Tepig and a Jolly Snivy ?

As a matter of fact. Yeah! There is a difference, IVs are individual ivs that help or umm... bother a pokemon's growth. Kinda like genes or hormones. You can NEVER change them once you obtain the pokemon.

EVs are effort values earned form battling a pokemon. You have a maximum of 510 evs. Yes, the thing you said is correct. but no... Having 255 in one since that's the maximum is rather useless. Since you get one boost for every 4. SO.... you have 3 wasted evs on that.

There's an in-depth guide in serebii by the way. in the game mechanics department.

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!

This is a good basic guide for starting out with EVs, IVs and nature

manaphay

Building a team

I am currently building a EV team and need to know some places that are gud for getting Attacking for a lvl1 , for gettin speed lvl 5 and defense for lvl 12
The lvl 1 one has bold nature
The lvl5 has a jolly nature
And the the lvl 12 has a bold aswell do these matter?

Solfatara

Forest-Dweller
Uhm, the levels are not really relevant to the EV-training itself, you can always switch to another poke and the first one will still receive the EVs.
The natures matter as they determine which stats you are emphasizing on your pokémon, but you can always EV-train any poke with any nature in any stat, so they don't really affect the EVs. But you should probably never EV-train something intentionally modest in attack.
Are you doing this in Unova? If so, I would recommend route 1 for attack, only lillipups and patrats that both give 1 in atk, route 3 for speed, surf and there are only basculins, which give two in speed, and wellspring cave for defense, with roggenrola.

Beck

Soul Suckin' Jerk
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Once my Pokemon has been EV trained, can I level it with Rare Candies and still maintain the same affect as if I had leveled it manually?

King Lawliet

Cero Miedo!
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Once my Pokemon has been EV trained, can I level it with Rare Candies and still maintain the same affect as if I had leveled it manually?
Yes you can

toasterkid

Breeder
After EVing a Ferroseed/Ferrothorn I'm not sure what Pokemon to EV, but I'm looking for a lot of Health Wings and the other wings for EV training. So pm if you can offer.

I can help people EV and breed for moves if they need help, but am mainly looking for suggestions for a Blissey or Chansey.

Azumarill

baha d:
I feel so dumb!

I'm going to attempt to make my first EV'd pokemon with my Poliwag putting 252 evs in HP and SPAtk

I was going to infect with Pokerus and use Power items but I just wanted to make sure I was doing this right. Can anyone suggest the best places to train and how many EVs I'll get with both pokerus and a power item attached? I'd greatly appreciate any help.

jolteon135

I feel so dumb!

I'm going to attempt to make my first EV'd pokemon with my Poliwag putting 252 evs in HP and SPAtk

I was going to infect with Pokerus and use Power items but I just wanted to make sure I was doing this right. Can anyone suggest the best places to train and how many EVs I'll get with both pokerus and a power item attached? I'd greatly appreciate any help.
Power item bonus is +4, Pokerus bonus is *2. Pokerus is applied after power item bonus. So Stunfisk gives 2 HP EVs, with the power weight and Pokerus it gives (2+4)*2=12.

EV training spots

I have a modest litwick with 31 IVs in HP, 29 IVs in SpA, and 23 IVs in Spd. What EV spread should I use? (rest of the IVs were really low and not worth mentioning). Aside for special attack, I'm not sure if I should EV train in speed, or both speed and HP. Also, if I give the pokemon I want to EV train an exp share to hold, and have another pokemon in my team do the battling, will the pokemon holding the exp share also get the EVs from the battle? (don't have any power items yet, otherwise I would do that)

I have a modest litwick with 31 IVs in HP, 29 IVs in SpA, and 23 IVs in Spd. What EV spread should I use? (rest of the IVs were really low and not worth mentioning). Aside for special attack, I'm not sure if I should EV train in speed, or both speed and HP. Also, if I give the pokemon I want to EV train an exp share to hold, and have another pokemon in my team do the battling, will the pokemon holding the exp share also get the EVs from the battle? (don't have any power items yet, otherwise I would do that)
It depends on whether you want Litwick to be a faster sweeper or a bit slower, but bulkier sweeper. Personally, I would go with maxing speed.
To your second question, yes.

PandaChef

I want the followin evs for my articuno: 248HP, 44 SpA and 216 Spe.
But i got my articuno in a trade and its lvl 50 with the following stats:
86Attack
117 Defense
104 Sp. Attack
149 Sp. Def
Speed 104
What berries and how many do i need to use so i can start training those evs?

Roxas013

Pirate King
quick question i jus made it 2 Nimbasa nd the IV checker person isnt there. wen does he appear? is it after i beat the E4 or after i beat the gym leader

Status
Not open for further replies.