• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 5th Gen. EV/IV (Training) Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I also have a careful one with perfect defense, special attack and special defense. Should I go espeon on the calm one and vaporeon on the careful one?

Careful isn't a good idea in Vaporeon, since it need Scald to Burn foes. Careful is a good idea for Umbreon, which will apreciate the boost in your high defenses.

Aegon

Today, I EV trained my flawless Metagross and Porygon-Z. I maxed out Porygon-Z's Special Attack and Speed, while I maxed Metagross' Attack, dividing the remaining EVs between HP and Speed.

CoachGump

Careful isn't a good idea in Vaporeon, since it need Scald to Burn foes. Careful is a good idea for Umbreon, which will apreciate the boost in your high defenses.

Okay, thanks, now I just need one with perfect defenses and at least a neutral nature for my vaporeon

Alaka-zam

just finished training my timid mewtwo, 385 speed, 384 SpAt along with my 401 attack groudon, 407 SpAt kyogre, 372 SpAt palkia with 309 speed, and 410 attack rayquayza

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
I got a pretty neat Deino yesterday:

30|24/25|30|31|31|31 Naive Nature

What do you think? Should I continue breeding or not? (Consider the fact I didn't use two flawless parents, and didn't use an Everstone :D )

AmbipomMaster

#TeamInstinct
Trying to IV my Scraggy in Atk, HP, and Sp. Defense. I keep getting the stats to "fantastic" level, so I'm singling out every stat and refining them before combining them again.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Yeah, it is a god darn amazing breed for me. Can't get the hang of RNG yet, so IV breeding is a good way for me to go if I can get those sort of things. Happens to have HP Ice 68, the third time I've bred something with HP Ice 68/70. Thanks guys, I should be breeding more like that soon. P.S Anyone who doubts me, It isn't RNG'd :D

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
Hello again. You see, I like to EV/ IV train my pokemon in the correct way in order to win the online pokemon battles. I have a few questions that I like to ask of you. If a pokemon has an outstanding overall, or above average overall, or a pokemon who has a relatively superior potential overall, was it worth keeping it? I have a Macho Brace, it claims that it will help a pokemon grow stronger. If I plan to run 252 at Speed, how many Basculin I have to defeat in order to run 252? If I plan to run 52 at Special Attack, how many Litwick/Elgyem I have to beat? And if I plan to run 204 on HP, how many Audino/Ducklett/Stunfish I have to defeat? The point is that I want to do this right. Please and thank you.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Hello again. You see, I like to EV/ IV train my pokemon in the correct way in order to win the online pokemon battles. I have a few questions that I like to ask of you. If a pokemon has an outstanding overall, or above average overall, or a pokemon who has a relatively superior potential overall, was it worth keeping it? I have a Macho Brace, it claims that it will help a pokemon grow stronger. If I plan to run 252 at Speed, how many Basculin I have to defeat in order to run 252? If I plan to run 52 at Special Attack, how many Litwick/Elgyem I have to beat? And if I plan to run 204 on HP, how many Audino/Ducklett/Stunfish I have to defeat? The point is that I want to do this right. Please and thank you.

Pokemon that are "outstanding" or "relatively superior" are pretty good - it refers to the sum of all their IVs. Outstanding or superior Pokemon are much better IV-wise than those that are "above average" or "decent."

The Macho Brace doubles the amount of EVs you get from beating a Pokemon. Basculin normally gives 2 Speed EVs, so when you beat one while using the Macho Brace, you get 4 Speed EVs. So you would need to beat 252/4 = 63 of them to max out Speed. Litwick/Elgyem both give 1 Special Attack EV, so with the Macho Brace they give 2, which means you have to beat 52/2 = 26 of them. Audino and Stunfisk give 2 HP EVs (Ducklett only give one, so I wouldn't use it), which would be 4 with the Macho Brace meaning that you have to beat 204/4 = 51 of them.

Of course, you can make the whole EV training process faster by giving your Pokemon Vitamins. You can give a Pokemon a max of 10 Vitamins in any stat, for a total of 100 EVs in that stat. So if you gave your Pokemon 10 Carbos, 10 HP up, and 5 Calcium, you would only have 152 Speed EVs, 104 HP EVs, and 2 Special Attack EVs to get from wild Pokemon.

Also, using Power Items is better than using the Macho Brace. A power item will give you an extra 4 EVs in a certain stat after you beat a Pokemon. So if you give your Pokemon a Power Weight and beat a Stunfisk, you would get 2 + 4 = 6 HP EVs.

Getting the Pokerus will also double the amount of EVs you gain from battle.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Right, I am considering breeding for a Jolly Axew next.

I think that I should go for: 31/31/20+/x/20+/31

When I EV it, should I run the normal 252/252 spread, or put 32 or so EVs into HP?

Question for EV Training, I'm currently training my Munchlax (who miraculously evolved into a Snorlax at level 7; no Soothe Bell), and I'm doing his HP EV's right now. Main problem being the Pokemon I wanted him to train against is much higher then his. Is it possible for Snorlax to get the EV's if I just switch him out for another Pokemon?

blackmeadow

Coolio Julio
Question for EV Training, I'm currently training my Munchlax (who miraculously evolved into a Snorlax at level 7; no Soothe Bell), and I'm doing his HP EV's right now. Main problem being the Pokemon I wanted him to train against is much higher then his. Is it possible for Snorlax to get the EV's if I just switch him out for another Pokemon?

Yup, that's what I usually do for lower leveled Pokemon. Just don't use a Pokemon that you don't want getting those HP EVs, because they end up getting them too.

Yup, that's what I usually do for lower leveled Pokemon. Just don't use a Pokemon that you don't want getting those HP EVs, because they end up getting them too.

So, say I I switch out my Snorlax (Who has a Power Band) for a Salamence, and I'm facing a Stunfisk, who gives 1 HP EV. Will Snorlax and Salamence each get 1 HP EV? By which I mean, the EV's aren't like divided evenly amongst the Pokemon fought

Last edited:

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
Pokemon that are "outstanding" or "relatively superior" are pretty good - it refers to the sum of all their IVs. Outstanding or superior Pokemon are much better IV-wise than those that are "above average" or "decent."

The Macho Brace doubles the amount of EVs you get from beating a Pokemon. Basculin normally gives 2 Speed EVs, so when you beat one while using the Macho Brace, you get 4 Speed EVs. So you would need to beat 252/4 = 63 of them to max out Speed. Litwick/Elgyem both give 1 Special Attack EV, so with the Macho Brace they give 2, which means you have to beat 52/2 = 26 of them. Audino and Stunfisk give 2 HP EVs (Ducklett only give one, so I wouldn't use it), which would be 4 with the Macho Brace meaning that you have to beat 204/4 = 51 of them.

Of course, you can make the whole EV training process faster by giving your Pokemon Vitamins. You can give a Pokemon a max of 10 Vitamins in any stat, for a total of 100 EVs in that stat. So if you gave your Pokemon 10 Carbos, 10 HP up, and 5 Calcium, you would only have 152 Speed EVs, 104 HP EVs, and 2 Special Attack EVs to get from wild Pokemon.

Also, using Power Items is better than using the Macho Brace. A power item will give you an extra 4 EVs in a certain stat after you beat a Pokemon. So if you give your Pokemon a Power Weight and beat a Stunfisk, you would get 2 + 4 = 6 HP EVs.

Getting the Pokerus will also double the amount of EVs you gain from battle.

Ok. But importantly, what is the best nature for Mewtwo? If I get a Mew, I hope that I can get the Jolly nature since Mew seems to be a playful pokemon. Then I'll probably run 252 Spd/4 Def/ 252 Sp.Atk.

Aegon

Ok. But importantly, what is the best nature for Mewtwo? If I get a Mew, I hope that I can get the Jolly nature since Mew seems to be a playful pokemon. Then I'll probably run 252 Spd/4 Def/ 252 Sp.Atk.
The best nature for Mewtwo is Timid, while Mew has many options. Take a look here for some useful ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.