• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 6th Generation Competitive Metagame Discussion

So, how about Aegislash? He's on my current OU team and King's Shield shenanigans make this thing the MVP of my team. Swords Dance l King's Shield l Shadow Sneak l Sacred Sword/Iron Head makes this thing an amazing Pokemon in general.

Puma Italia

I know how much of a pain Defog will be for Stall teams. They'll have to adjust and rely less heavily on hazards and more on other ways of stalling such as burn/toxic, leech seed, etc. I could see teams sticking with Stealth Rock even if Defog becomes popular considering it only takes a turn to set up. I think Spikes will take the biggest hit. Even Toxic Spikes had issues before Defog, but with some teams, it may still be worth setting up.

So, how about Aegislash? He's on my current OU team and King's Shield shenanigans make this thing the MVP of my team. Swords Dance l King's Shield l Shadow Sneak l Sacred Sword/Iron Head makes this thing an amazing Pokemon in general.

I, too, really like Aegislash. I don't know about that moveset, though; I had the exact same moveset on mine, and it couldn't really do much to other water or steel types. I'm considering swapping shadow sneak for sacred sword and iron head, as that (to me) feels like a little better type coverage, but losing that priority hurts...

Just remember that king shield, unlike other protect-style moves, does not protect against status moves. It pretty much only blocks damage, but it's really good at dealing with attackers that can only make physical contact.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Aegislash is great. Unfortunately, it has only four move slots for a loadout with five great moves. It's kind of a tough call as to whether Sacred Sword or Iron Head is better. We may need to wait to see how the meta shakes out.

Zachmac

I'm really liking Mega Manetric as a Volt Turner. Intimidate really comes in handy when keeping up the offensive pressure, and it actually makes a decent late game cleaner.

Kitsuneko

Tyrantitar is still going to be a beast in this generation, despite all the weaknesses and new fairy type threats. The assault vest gave it more options and less predictability to go with it.

I see it as an effective check or counter to MegaGengar where he can potentially KO with pursuit, crunch, or EQ since it lost its levitate. According to calculations, with careful nature, sandstream, and assault vest, it can reach up to 738 sp. def. So yeah, it's more specially tanky than Blissey. From other sources, it's able to survive a focus blast or two from MegaGengar, as well as about 5-6 hydro pumps from Rotom Wash which makes it a bit ridiculous. Though with that setup, it leaves it a bit weak on the physical defense side, where bullet punch from Scizor can give it trouble.

Anyway, at the very least, without frisk, you'd think it could be running a choice band/scarf set. MegaTTar is also something else as dragon dance is an option for it once again in this generation, but it'll at least tell you what item it has.

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
Tyrantitar is still going to be a beast in this generation, despite all the weaknesses and new fairy type threats. The assault vest gave it more options and less predictability to go with it.

I see it as an effective check or counter to MegaGengar where he can potentially KO with pursuit, crunch, or EQ since it lost its levitate. According to calculations, with careful nature, sandstream, and assault vest, it can reach up to 738 sp. def. So yeah, it's more specially tanky than Blissey. From other sources, it's able to survive a focus blast or two from MegaGengar, as well as about 5-6 hydro pumps from Rotom Wash which makes it a bit ridiculous. Though with that setup, it leaves it a bit weak on the physical defense side, where bullet punch from Scizor can give it trouble.

Anyway, at the very least, without frisk, you'd think it could be running a choice band/scarf set. MegaTTar is also something else as dragon dance is an option for it once again in this generation, but it'll at least tell you what item it has.

Without a doubt, fighting types are not going to be anywhere as common because of the Fairy types which makes Tyranitar much safer to use because Sand Stream can give it a 1.5 Special Defense Boost to protect itself from a 1 Hit KO from a Fairy Type attack. My biggest wonder is whether Blissey is going to be Normal/Fairy. I mean just because Chansey is not a Fairy doesn't necessarily mean that Blissey cannot be one. I mean, Chansey overshadowed Blissey completely with Evolite but if Blissey gains the Fairy typing then it'll give it a niche over its younger sister: although, the thought of Blissey being part Fairy makes me wonder whether it will be Banished to Ubers because it has more than one resistance with its herculean HP and Special Defense...

MedievalMovies

Absolute Power
With the defog buff, Crobat will probably be used even more now as it's so much faster than lots of other pokemon and can Taunt+Defog and U-Turn out if necessary. Not sure if this will make it rise up to OU, but it's definitely looking very promising right now.

For Mega Evolutions, Mega Garchomp and Mega Gengar are extremely good right now. Mega Garchomp is the ultimate wallbreaker. He hits so hard not many pokemon can take just one of his hits (save for Mega Aggron) and Mega Gengar is just so good as a revenge killer right now. Shadow Tag works so well on him and makes me love Mega Gengar so much more.

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
For Mega Evolutions, Mega Garchomp and Mega Gengar are extremely good right now. Mega Garchomp is the ultimate wallbreaker. He hits so hard not many pokemon can take just one of his hits (save for Mega Aggron) and Mega Gengar is just so good as a revenge killer right now. Shadow Tag works so well on him and makes me love Mega Gengar so much more.

Mega Garchomp does the most damage only in Sand though, and its lowered speed leaves it susceptible to ice beam users and other Dragon types. Mega Lucario is IMO, either the best or second best Mega right now. Lucario was a great Late game sweeper before, and with Adaptability and being a speed tier above even Lati@s in Mega form, it's an even better sweeper now! Even Skarmory is easily 2HKOed by a +2 close combat.

Without a doubt, fighting types are not going to be anywhere as common because of the Fairy types which makes Tyranitar much safer to use because Sand Stream can give it a 1.5 Special Defense Boost to protect itself from a 1 Hit KO from a Fairy Type attack. My biggest wonder is whether Blissey is going to be Normal/Fairy. I mean just because Chansey is not a Fairy doesn't necessarily mean that Blissey cannot be one. I mean, Chansey overshadowed Blissey completely with Evolite but if Blissey gains the Fairy typing then it'll give it a niche over its younger sister: although, the thought of Blissey being part Fairy makes me wonder whether it will be Banished to Ubers because it has more than one resistance with its herculean HP and Special Defense...

OH MY GOD DO NOT LET BLISSEY BE FAIRY. FIGHTING WAS THE ONLY WAY TO GET PAST BLISSEY WITH SPECIAL ATTACKS. NOW THEY CAN'T.

IMO, the best item for Tyranitar is Assault Vest. My Mega Gengar did ~70% to one with Focus Blast, which is a testament to Tyranitar's bulk with Assault Vest on.

MedievalMovies

Absolute Power
Avalugg is really something special. It's sad they gave him such a crappy type for 184 Defense, but that's what helps cover up his weaknesses. Fighting, Rock and Steel are usually all physical. To prove my point, did you know that if you had a CB Technician Scizor with Bullet Punch, it would 3HKO Avalugg? It's amazing how bulky this Iceberg is, although it's let down by it's special defense. However, it can still take a non SE special hit and live, as in-game against Wulfric, my Yveltal was lvl 63 with max EVs in SpAtk and I could not one-shot Wulfric's Avalugg with Oblivion Wing. It's sad people were writing him off as NU tier, because he can truly pull a team out of a crazy spot, together with Florges or Sylveon.

He also gets Rapid Spin, which is a gigantic plus since Sticky Web doesn't affect his already terrible speed.

Vis_Mage

PokeGyms Creator
I have to ask, what cores have you all seen as especially effective so far in the metagame?

So far, I have seen a lot of success with KeyBlade (Klefki+Agislash), Magic Keys (Klefki+Mega Alakazam), and Spooky Keys (Klefki+Mega Gengar).

As of so far, Klefki has been my bread and butter this gen, being a key part (No pun intended) in pretty much all my team's cores. With prankster and duel screens, I almost always get both screens up, which net me 8 turns of defense boost with light clay. I usually get off a Spikes or two, or a T-wave as well before either setting up with Agislash, or sweeping with Alakazam/Gengar. I've mainly used this in singles, but KeyBlade especially seems to work well in doubles! Not to mention, it's not everyday that you can say you swept your opponate with your "Spooky Keys"! :)

ajgrocks100

The Loomer
Has anyone noticed this: walls are now becoming more potent stat wise than type wise.

Before, steels like skarmory, ferrothorn, heatran, and bronzong ruled.
But now, with the decreasing popularity in dragons, stats are becoming more important.
I can now see ferro becoming BL, and walls like avalugg and goodra taking over OU.

and before i hear raves about aegislash, because that cheap sucker has stats and type. :p

BTW Has anyone noticed fact a all the kalos special sweepers (delphox, greninja, heliolisk, etc.) carry grass knot?..

ajgrocks100

The Loomer
victini is screwed lol

unresponsive

still in a dream, skin eater
I don't know if I missed any discussion on Noivern but I'm seeing a lot of that guy lately. I am lovin' the fact that both its Abilities +Boomburst are starting to make people think twice about throwing up Subs everywhere. It's pretty fragile and offensively ok, but scouting is where I've really seen it shine. You'd think with the new Fairy typing most Dragons would be scarce. I'm wondering if Noivern will soon be replaced with Crobat though.

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
I don't know if I missed any discussion on Noivern but I'm seeing a lot of that guy lately. I am lovin' the fact that both its Abilities +Boomburst are starting to make people think twice about throwing up Subs everywhere. It's pretty fragile and offensively ok, but scouting is where I've really seen it shine. You'd think with the new Fairy typing most Dragons would be scarce. I'm wondering if Noivern will soon be replaced with Crobat though.

Well, noivern will always have the niche of frisk, so you can scout leads better. And it has a great special movepool, I assume.

The Master Chief

Has anyone noticed this: walls are now becoming more potent stat wise than type wise.

Before, steels like skarmory, ferrothorn, heatran, and bronzong ruled.
But now, with the decreasing popularity in dragons, stats are becoming more important.
I can now see ferro becoming BL, and walls like avalugg and goodra taking over OU.

Well stats were important in 5th gen as well as typing but now stats are really important than typing. I seen some steel-fairy-dragon type cores lately though.

I wouldn't say they're scarce, they're just played with more carefully. I still see em quite often. I don't know how something new can get replaced though. Crobat might see some rise in usage while noivern might not be used as much as expected.

Avalugg would make an amazing pokemon with an assault vest. It can at least somewhat help with the horrible base sp.def

Talonflame should be uu. Even with Gale Wings it doesn't have the base attack to effectively abuse it plus it's walled heatran.

Kitsuneko

I suppose it's better like that, so it's not solely based on stats. Taking typing, ability, stats, and movepool into consideration when building a team and a strategy around it.

In a generalized way, both physical and special sweepers will have a hard time without support in this generation. Large amount of special walls, and more moves to hinder/annoy/lower opponent's attack stats. I can think of something that can really annoy a physical setup sweeper, intimidate + prankster will-o-wisp + baby doll eyes. Baby doll eyes being a priority move that lowers the opponent's attack stat. I know you can sort of just straight out burn/cripple something, but on top of this, it would make Umbreon more of a stalling tank for an example.