• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 6th Generation Competitive Metagame Discussion

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
One of my favorite combinations in this meta game, is a double battle team of Greninja and Agislash. I set up a mat block using Greninja's speed, changing its type using protean ability, then my Agislash uses substitute under safety of mat block, then use Greninja, holding a foucus sash, to survive get a move in, and have Agislash dominate switching from kings shield to an attack repeatedly trolling the opponent because they never catch me in my attack mode, because I am holding a full insence, so they all ways get my defensive form, with max evs in both defenses. Then just send in a mega kangaskan after Greninja to while the plate clean. Usually gets the job done.

The full incense thing is very interesting, I might play around with that later. Kudos to you for thinking of that. The one issue I've always had with Shadow Sneak is that if your opponent survives it they're going to hit your much frailer Sword form, whereas, when combined with Protect or King's Shield, this would prevent that. He'd appreciate Wish support though.

Unfortunately Kangaskhanite is banned in standard competitive play so this is only applicable on WiFi battles and VGC 2014.

Eaglehawk

Banned
Sooo....

This thread doesn't really specify which tier, so I'll just go on and talk about UU Beta.

Although it hasn't been around for very long, Smogon decided to smash the banhammer on Kyurem-B, Manaphy, and Drizzle. What trends do you think the metagame will move towards?

McDanger

atm its going to lean toward offensive and sun teams with ninetales and due to the retarded level of broken crap in UU because of how kokoko did the tier. Once its stable, UU will probably play like dpp OU

Lol, Sun teams are so insanely good right now in UU. Ninetales + Mega Houndoom puts most teams under a ton of pressure by themselves. Mega Heracross is also downright incredible. Almost nothing can beat it 1-on-1 due to its ridiculously high Atk and combination of such high base power attacks like Close Combat, Knock Off (first hit, anyway), Earthquake, and Skill Link Pin Missile/Rock Blast/Bullet Seed. It's got a pretty good amount of bulk as well. In fact, I might go as far as to call it "the Mega Kangaskhan of UU" since it has such a great combination of power and bulk and wins so many 1-on-1 matchups. Mega Gardevoir is also pretty good, especially since Pixilate Hyper Voice is just such a great weapon to throw around. Besides that, there's just a ton of other stuff being thrown around. I'm sure it'll settle down before too long, though.

Last edited:

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
Now that the Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova starters are available: I genuinely believe Infernape will drop a tier due to the presence of Talonflame (especially), Wash Rotom, Greninja, Mega Blastoise and Azumarill. All these pokemon can pretty much counter Infernape with ease because they can switch into anything that it uses and pretty much wipe Infernape out.

KillerDraco

Now that the Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh and Unova starters are available: I genuinely believe Infernape will drop a tier due to the presence of Talonflame (especially), Wash Rotom, Greninja, Mega Blastoise and Azumarill. All these pokemon can pretty much counter Infernape with ease because they can switch into anything that it uses and pretty much wipe Infernape out.

I'm not sure that Mega Blastoise would really be a factor given its usage isn't so high compared to other more prominent Megas (Lucario, 'Zard, etc.). Otherwise though, there's a chance Infernape could drop down to UU once the tiers stabilize. Infernape was falling out of favor in BW already, but that was largely due to rain. That said, its usage (at least on PS) isn't terrible right now, although it'll take some time for the tiers to become stable given all the novelty from new Pokemon getting increased usage (in before mcdanger's mention of Klefki).

That said, its still got a solid movepool that allows it to go mixed, and Talonflame, Rotom-W, and Greninja can all have difficulties switching in if it carries the right moves, given Talonflame and Greninja can be 1HKO'd by Stone Edge and Close Combat, respectively, and Rotom-W has a decent chance to be 2HKO'd by close combat. They all check Infernape, no doubt about that, but they're far from hard counters. Thunderpunch from Iron Fist variants can also threaten to 1HKO Talonflame and 2HKO several water types. But yeah, 4MSS is a huge problem for Infernape given it'll never have enough to check every relevant threat. Again, I do agree that there's a pretty good chance it'll drop down a tier, but if it does stay OU, it'll probably be bottom of the usage scale, much as it was last generation. But it would be solid in UU for sure if it does drop down.

Travisbrown

www.pwnagebureau.com
Grass types are becoming better to use due to them not being affected by powder moves which i find to be very interesting and cool. so serperior whhich is my favorite pokemon has gotten even way better. The thing I hate the most with gen 6 is that it one cannot paralyze an electric types even with GLARE which i find to be very annoying and bothersome. So having a rotom and mega venusaur makes you pretty badass in this gen

Travisbrown

www.pwnagebureau.com
Behold le dark types

Fighting types like Terrakion are also going down in the tier list. Its still OU obviously but with the rise of thse firies its not so common anymore. Even though fairies destroy dark types which is everyone running mandibuzz, crawdaunt and bisharp. Well bisharp doest take super effective hits from fairies. Well I guess mabey its just the knock off evwryone is all crazy about...

Dat double post tho...

Fighting types are still common. Mega Luke, who is seventh for usage, is pretty much OP. All dark types lost to him except Mandibuzz, which can still lose if Luke plays smart.

KillerDraco

Also grass types haven't really benefited all that much from the Powder nerf, given Powder moves are pretty rare outside of... you guessed it... other grass types. Sure some bug types carry them too, but none of the most commonly used bugs (Scizor, Genesect, Volcarona, Mega Pinsir, etc.) really carry them.

Speaking of which, it's a harsh world for Grass types with things like Talonflame, both Mega Charizards, Mega Pinsir, Aegislash, etc. running around. Only Mega Venusaur, who is pretty much the best defensive mega with its Supreme Bulk, solid offenses, good movepool, and Thick Fat, and Ferrothorn who's still a defensive stalwart, are really common. Things like Breloom and Trevenant see some usage, but they're more niche Pokemon than anything.

ChloboShoka

Writer
Grass types are one of my favourite types. I like megavenusaur, has really reliable bulk and I must admit I do get a bit scared when I see a mega venusaur on the opponents side. Ferrothorn's got a great typing and is a great entry hazzard pokemon and I've used Breloom a few times. Talonflame is it's nightmare come true, but I found him useful for it's niches.

Also does anyone play in the Little Cup tier. I've only done a few battles there and I think it's a very interesting tier because it can be really unpredictable.

CaptainSteve

On indefinite hiatus
Also grass types haven't really benefited all that much from the Powder nerf, given Powder moves are pretty rare outside of... you guessed it... other grass types. Sure some bug types carry them too, but none of the most commonly used bugs (Scizor, Genesect, Volcarona, Mega Pinsir, etc.) really carry them.

Speaking of which, it's a harsh world for Grass types with things like Talonflame, both Mega Charizards, Mega Pinsir, Aegislash, etc. running around. Only Mega Venusaur, who is pretty much the best defensive mega with its Supreme Bulk, solid offenses, good movepool, and Thick Fat, and Ferrothorn who's still a defensive stalwart, are really common. Things like Breloom and Trevenant see some usage, but they're more niche Pokemon than anything.

Grass types only suffered in OU. In UU, they are still everywhere. Roserade dropped down to UU, right? Roserade is a fantastic Pokemon outside of OU, where it's free to set up whatever it does and hurt souls.

Grass types only suffered in OU. In UU, they are still everywhere. Roserade dropped down to UU, right? Roserade is a fantastic Pokemon outside of OU, where it's free to set up whatever it does and hurt souls.

Yes, Rosersde is UU. Has been since gen 5. The only problem with what yo said is that Roserade ain't a set up sweeper...