• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official 6th Generation Competitive Metagame Discussion

Ace Trainer Riana

I found a nice way to prevent entry hazards. A fast pokemon with Taunt will outspeed most that can set them up.

KillerDraco

I found a nice way to prevent entry hazards. A fast pokemon with Taunt will outspeed most that can set them up.

...Yeah, that's been around since Gen 4. Unfortunately, the pure suicide lead entry hazard setters have sort of fallen out of favor since Defog means that Spinblocking is no longer as reliable, making it a bit more situational. You tend to see hazard setters who aren't quite so one-dimensional nowadays, who aren't always used as the leads. Results may vary.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan

That was most of the reason why Lead Aerodactyl was a thing back in DPPt, being the only thing that can outspeed and Taunt Azelf before it does the same bar Deoxys.

Cashtrion

Just A Breeder
I am sure this topic may have been addressed earlier in the posting... but I feel it may be okay to bring it again here...

First... for example, if a Tyranitar causes a Sandstorm with sand Stream, would Mega evolving reset the 5 turn count?

If not, could a sandstorm be simply helped by having a Bulky Tyranitar that survives for 6 turns, Mega evolving on the sixth, only to extend the use of sandstorm?

I am sure this topic may have been addressed earlier in the posting... but I feel it may be okay to bring it again here...

First... for example, if a Tyranitar causes a Sandstorm with sand Stream, would Mega evolving reset the 5 turn count?

If not, could a sandstorm be simply helped by having a Bulky Tyranitar that survives for 6 turns, Mega evolving on the sixth, only to extend the use of sandstorm?

It does not reset the counter. However, if Sandstorm has already run out, I do believe that Mega Evolving would re-activate the ability, similar to how Mega Evolving Manectric lowers the foe's Attack.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
...Yeah, that's been around since Gen 4. Unfortunately, the pure suicide lead entry hazard setters have sort of fallen out of favor since Defog means that Spinblocking is no longer as reliable, making it a bit more situational. You tend to see hazard setters who aren't quite so one-dimensional nowadays, who aren't always used as the leads. Results may vary.

This. In addition, there's also the possibility that the opponent can see the Taunt coming and act accordingly. I've gotten used to the fact that if I'm fighting an opposing Deoxys-S lead, they'll likely Taunt me, and if not, set their own hazards. Attacking them usually ends up being the best option at that point. Come to think of it, though, I haven't seen many Taunt users anyway.

KillerDraco

This. In addition, there's also the possibility that the opponent can see the Taunt coming and act accordingly. I've gotten used to the fact that if I'm fighting an opposing Deoxys-S lead, they'll likely Taunt me, and if not, set their own hazards. Attacking them usually ends up being the best option at that point. Come to think of it, though, I haven't seen many Taunt users anyway.

Yeah, there are very few Pokemon who run taunt, aside from as a surprise move. Deoxys-D and Deoxys-S are pretty much the only ones I'd expect to see carrying it, and Manibuzz or Skarmory might carry it, and I'm probably forgetting a few, but as a whole it's not something that's overwhelmingly common by any means.

It does give the move solid surprise value, admittedly. Albeit a situational one.

shadowF

I thought all legendaries were banned from competitive play?

NightFire7

legendaries are not banned from competitive play. Never have been.

Anyway I have noticed that not a lot of 6th gen pokemon are actually being used in uu. Its mostly people abusing stuff like kyurem black, latias, keldeo and thundurus therian. Or even just standard 5th gen uu teams. I think its a shame if most 6th gen pokes end up being RU because there are some really cool pokemon that would do just fine in the tier. Hawlucha is actually a really cool pokemon especially with unburden and abusing the power herb sky attack combo. There are other 6th gen pokes as well that I feel do well in the tier but just dont get used. I mean I guess it will make RU a really strong tier.

KillerDraco

legendaries are not banned from competitive play. Never have been.

Anyway I have noticed that not a lot of 6th gen pokemon are actually being used in uu. Its mostly people abusing stuff like kyurem black, latias, keldeo and thundurus therian. Or even just standard 5th gen uu teams. I think its a shame if most 6th gen pokes end up being RU because there are some really cool pokemon that would do just fine in the tier. Hawlucha is actually a really cool pokemon especially with unburden and abusing the power herb sky attack combo. There are other 6th gen pokes as well that I feel do well in the tier but just dont get used. I mean I guess it will make RU a really strong tier.

As mcdanger had mentioned earlier, part of the issue is that a lot of the older Pokemon are being overlooked in favor of the new Pokemon, which led to some really powerful Pokemon being allowed in UU, hence seeing them be so popular. The tiers are really unstable right now, so it'll probably take a while before any of the tiers really stabilize and we see consistent placement.

Buttons

Mountain Trainer
As mcdanger had mentioned earlier, part of the issue is that a lot of the older Pokemon are being overlooked in favor of the new Pokemon, which led to some really powerful Pokemon being allowed in UU, hence seeing them be so popular. The tiers are really unstable right now, so it'll probably take a while before any of the tiers really stabilize and we see consistent placement.
Without access to some older Pokemon players are forced to use new ones. Things should balance out a bit when Pokebank comes out for real and we can have access to more Pokemon.

KillerDraco

Without access to some older Pokemon players are forced to use new ones. Things should balance out a bit when Pokebank comes out for real and we can have access to more Pokemon.

...I think you're a little mixed up here. Smogon tiers operate on simulators such as PS. I.e., PokeBank doesn't actually factor into this at all.

Buttons

Mountain Trainer
...I think you're a little mixed up here. Smogon tiers operate on simulators such as PS. I.e., PokeBank doesn't actually factor into this at all.
Isnt the point of Smogon to pracitce avaliable teams so you can know what you want to breed/train in game? I was thinking the available pokemon would skew the used pokemon on that site so people could find teh best tems to use until Pokebank came out.

Especially when you include that the competition for wifi battling this year will use kalos only pokemon with kalos only HA, moves, and all. Or am I missing the point of Smogon and Showdown exsisting?

KillerDraco

Isnt the point of Smogon to pracitce avaliable teams so you can know what you want to breed/train in game? I was thinking the available pokemon would skew the used pokemon on that site so people could find teh best tems to use until Pokebank came out.

Especially when you include that the competition for wifi battling this year will use kalos only pokemon with kalos only HA, moves, and all. Or am I missing the point of Smogon and Showdown exsisting?

...No, Smogon operates entirely independently of in-game. Simulators came about due to the fact that breeding perfect IV'ed Pokemon in generations past was almost impossible without hacking or hundreds upon hundreds of eggs. By all means it can be used for people who want to try things out for in-game, so that they don't have to waste the time/effort in breeding a Pokemon only to find out that Pokemon doesn't work so well, but the bulk of competitive battling as most people will define it nowadays is done entirely on simulators.

Also, wifi battling/VGC is independent of Smogon as well. They have entirely different sets of rules (things like Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause, etc. exist only on Smogon, along with tiers), and thus are treated differently. So the Kalos-only thing has nothing to do with Smogon.

Buttons

Mountain Trainer
So the sleep rules, the anti-minimize, and the tier system all came from Smogon? Doesnt seem like a site that is accurate to how we used to battle back in gen 1-3. .-.
But then I'm old and junk. I built a Clefable with Sing, Minimize, Calm Mind, and Stored Power just from knowing how Clefable had been used from forever ago.

/dinosaur ftl.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor

Most simulators will use friendly WiFi battling rules, which don't have the restriction of using Kalos-only stuff; you can play Battle Spot battles on simulators, but they're not the main tier.

If Kalos-only was enforced throughout XY WiFi, then that would be the rule on simulators as well.

So the sleep rules, the anti-minimize, and the tier system all came from Smogon? Doesnt seem like a site that is accurate to how we used to battle back in gen 1-3. .-.

Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause, and tiering are all enforced if you play Gen I matches on simulators.

It's basically just to keep matches fun and competitive instead of boiling down to who can keep their Mewtwo alive the longest or who can hit through Double Team first or can get lucky with Hypnosis or whatever.

Last edited:

Buttons

Mountain Trainer
If Kalos-only was enforced throughout XY WiFi, then that would be the rule on simulators as well.
For the Nintendo official junk on wifi battles this year it is supposed to be Kalos only. Thats what I thought all the simulators were supposed to be gearing players to practice for. But then I'm just getting into the competitive stuff myself so all this is kinda new to me anyway. All I have done so far is put together ~3 teams and looked up the rules and all for the official stuff.

Sparkbeat

FLASH! AAAHHHAAA!
For the Nintendo official junk on wifi battles this year it is supposed to be Kalos only. Thats what I thought all the simulators were supposed to be gearing players to practice for. But then I'm just getting into the competitive stuff myself so all this is kinda new to me anyway. All I have done so far is put together ~3 teams and looked up the rules and all for the official stuff.

For the official ruleset this year, Smogon has a VGC 2014 ladder that contains all the restrictions of official competition.

Schmmidtty

Schmmidtty
One of my favorite combinations in this meta game, is a double battle team of Greninja and Agislash. I set up a mat block using Greninja's speed, changing its type using protean ability, then my Agislash uses substitute under safety of mat block, then use Greninja, holding a foucus sash, to survive get a move in, and have Agislash dominate switching from kings shield to an attack repeatedly trolling the opponent because they never catch me in my attack mode, because I am holding a full insence, so they all ways get my defensive form, with max evs in both defenses. Then just send in a mega kangaskan after Greninja to while the plate clean. Usually gets the job done.