• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Black 2 & White 2 Help thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

srullic

I have a bit of a weird question. What is your trainer's speed (in tiles per second) while walking, running and biking? And does this speed vary between games?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
I have a bit of a weird question. What is your trainer's speed (in tiles per second) while walking, running and biking? And does this speed vary between games?

I'm not sure where you'd be able to find this information, I did a quick Google search and found this: http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_around But I'm not sure which generation it applies to, not to mention the fact it's for making fake games. I'm confident that movement speed varies by generation though, purely from what I've observed from playing.

Navarch

What is the best ability for Accelgor? Hydration or Sticky Hold? I don't have intentions on using Rain Dance, but I'm still not sure.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
What is the best ability for Accelgor? Hydration or Sticky Hold? I don't have intentions on using Rain Dance, but I'm still not sure.

I'm assuming this is for an in-game team, judging by your sig, but either way, if you don't have any intention to use Rain Dance, Hydration is fairly useless. Sticky Hold isn't any better, since moves like Thief will never really show up in-game. I'd go with Hydration if this is for an in-game team, since you can at least take advantage of Rain in a few places, but you won't see any overwhelming benefits either way.

Navarch

I'm assuming this is for an in-game team, judging by your sig, but either way, if you don't have any intention to use Rain Dance, Hydration is fairly useless. Sticky Hold isn't any better, since moves like Thief will never really show up in-game. I'd go with Hydration if this is for an in-game team, since you can at least take advantage of Rain in a few places, but you won't see any overwhelming benefits either way.

I got a Timid one with Hydration, but I think I could use Rain Dance with Accelgor, Vaporeon, and Gothitelle for the PWT. Thanks for replying!

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I'm ****ing returning this piece of **** 3DS then. You guys said if I bought one Wifi would ****ing work.

I'm not really sure what exactly you're replying to, but Wifi DOES work with the 3DS. You just have to set it up right. 3DS is compatible with WEP, WPA, and WPA2. My 3DS is connected to my home wireless and it works flawlessly. If you're having trouble, you might need to set up a manual connection - that's what I had to do. You can get instructions on how to do that here. Also, we'll be able to help you out more if you tell us what error codes you're getting.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
I'm ****ing returning this piece of **** 3DS then. You guys said if I bought one Wifi would ****ing work.

If there is an Error Code, we can tell you exactly want need to do. Without the error code , I'm going to start to sound like a broken record as the ONLY advice I can give I've posted before in the HGSS Help thread. http://www.serebiiforums.com/showth...oulSilver-Help-Thread&p=16182614#post16182614

To be honest, I'm personally doubting you've got access to a Wifi network, which will prevent any wifi trading. If you told us the Error code I'd be able to confirm/deny that straight away.

I'm just going to say this publicly: Your usage of language is unacceptable for a Pokémon forum.

I'm not really sure what exactly you're replying to, but Wifi DOES work with the 3DS. You just have to set it up right. 3DS is compatible with WEP, WPA, and WPA2. My 3DS is connected to my home wireless and it works flawlessly. If you're having trouble, you might need to set up a manual connection - that's what I had to do. You can get instructions on how to do that here. Also, we'll be able to help you out more if you tell us what error codes you're getting.

Chances are he is replying to my comment in the HGSS help thread.

Garbodor.

I have a question which unfortunately I can't post in the general question section because I have already commented there few hours ago and I can't post there as my comment is still the last one there. My other comment was about something else.

My question is regarding volcarona. According to serebii.net if I get a level 100 volcarona at level 100 with a beneficial state I could get the following states:
Hp 230-374
sp.attck 302-405
speed 225-328

So does this mean that the maximum state volcarona can get, for example for it's sp.attack is 405? What if I use EV's? could I increase it to above 405?
My other question is, does I have to choose between which state I can max? I mean do I have to choose between speed,HP and sp.attack? This seems the case as beneficial natures only increase one states.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I have a question which unfortunately I can't post in the general question section because I have already commented there few hours ago and I can't post there as my comment is still the last one there. My other comment was about something else.

My question is regarding volcarona. According to serebii.net if I get a level 100 volcarona at level 100 with a beneficial state I could get the following states:
Hp 230-374
sp.attck 302-405
speed 225-328

So does this mean that the maximum state volcarona can get, for example for it's sp.attack is 405? What if I use EV's? could I increase it to above 405?
My other question is, does I have to choose between which state I can max? I mean do I have to choose between speed,HP and sp.attack? This seems the case as beneficial natures only increase one states.

This is actually a pretty complicated question. What you're seeing is that Volcarona can have between 302 and 405 as its maximum stats for Special Attack (SpA) with a beneficial nature. You know already that this means that it has a nature that increases SpA, such as Modest. What this range means is that Volcarona will have, at level 100, 302 as its SpA stat IF it has 0 IVs, 0 EVs, and a beneficial nature. It will have, at level 100, 405 as its SpA stat if it has 31 IVs, 256 EVs, and a beneficial nature. So 405 is the absolute maximum it can have as its SpA stat. You HAVE to EV train it in order to get that maximum - but if your Volcarona has fewer than 31 IVs, it will not reach 405 and its SpA stat will be between 342 and 404. (I'm pretty sure that 342 is the max-EV, 0-IV stat).

Unless you have a neutral nature, a nature will always favor one stat and lower another one. This is why you should always choose a nature that will lower a stat that doesn't matter on that Pokemon. For Volcarona, this stat is Attack. Volcarona never uses its Attack stat, and so you want it to have a stat that raises either SpA or Speed, and lowers Attack. So you should choose either a Modest or Timid nature for Volcarona.

The way that EVs work is that you can have a MAXIMUM of 510 EVs TOTAL, but you can only put 252 EVs maximum into a single stat. So, you can max out 2 stats of your choice, and then have 4 left over to put in another stat. (If you want to know where the other 4 goes, I can explain it, but I left it out so I wouldn't confuse you). If you have a Volcarona with a Modest nature, it would be best to max out that SpA stat, because you get the nature boost on top of the EVs. Even though you don't have a nature boost on Speed, it is still beneficial to max out the Speed stat as well, because Volcarona has naturally good Speed. So you should have 252 SpA/252Spe. The other 4, most people put in HP, but you can put it in whatever you want.

Does this help? Let me know if you have any more questions about IVs, EVs, and nature, and I can explain it more in-depth.

Garbodor.

This is actually a pretty complicated question. What you're seeing is that Volcarona can have between 302 and 405 as its maximum stats for Special Attack (SpA) with a beneficial nature. You know already that this means that it has a nature that increases SpA, such as Modest. What this range means is that Volcarona will have, at level 100, 302 as its SpA stat IF it has 0 IVs, 0 EVs, and a beneficial nature. It will have, at level 100, 405 as its SpA stat if it has 31 IVs, 256 EVs, and a beneficial nature. So 405 is the absolute maximum it can have as its SpA stat. You HAVE to EV train it in order to get that maximum - but if your Volcarona has fewer than 31 IVs, it will not reach 405 and its SpA stat will be between 342 and 404. (I'm pretty sure that 342 is the max-EV, 0-IV stat).

Unless you have a neutral nature, a nature will always favor one stat and lower another one. This is why you should always choose a nature that will lower a stat that doesn't matter on that Pokemon. For Volcarona, this stat is Attack. Volcarona never uses its Attack stat, and so you want it to have a stat that raises either SpA or Speed, and lowers Attack. So you should choose either a Modest or Timid nature for Volcarona.

The way that EVs work is that you can have a MAXIMUM of 510 EVs TOTAL, but you can only put 252 EVs maximum into a single stat. So, you can max out 2 stats of your choice, and then have 4 left over to put in another stat. (If you want to know where the other 4 goes, I can explain it, but I left it out so I wouldn't confuse you). If you have a Volcarona with a Modest nature, it would be best to max out that SpA stat, because you get the nature boost on top of the EVs. Even though you don't have a nature boost on Speed, it is still beneficial to max out the Speed stat as well, because Volcarona has naturally good Speed. So you should have 252 SpA/252Spe. The other 4, most people put in HP, but you can put it in whatever you want.

Does this help? Let me know if you have any more questions about IVs, EVs, and nature, and I can explain it more in-depth.

What an excellent reply! That was very informative. Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain.
I went and checked information on EV's and I kind of understand it now. What I am still unsure about is the IV's.
What exactly are they?

Last edited:

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
What an excellent reply! That was very informative. Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain.
I went and checked information on EV's and I kind of understand it now. What I am still unsure about is the IV's.
What exactly are they?

IVs are Individual Values.

Every single Pokémon (not species) has 1 for each stat.

They can vary between 1 and 31.

What they do is give you the amount of Stat Points at Level 100.

Say, you had 12 Attack IVs. That would mean that at Level 100, your Pokémon would have 12 extra points in Attack. (Really, it would have 11 Extra points because 1 is the minimum, not 0)

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
What exactly are they?

Dirkac isn't exactly right in his/her reply.

An IV is an "Individual Value". (EV stands for "Effort Value"). Each Pokemon has 6 stats, as you know, and it has an IV for each stat. This IV cannot be changed. It is set when you catch, hatch, or receive the Pokemon. An IV will range from 0 to 31 (not 1, as dirkac said). You want a high number as an IV - a Pokemon with a high IV in a stat will have a higher value in that stat. A Pokemon with 31 IVs in every stat (or in every stat that matters - for example, Volcarona's Attack stat doesn't matter, and therefore it doesn't matter what the IV is in Attack) is called a "perfect" Pokemon. It is VERY difficult to get high IVs in each stat, as it is completely random what you'll end up with.

Some people like to breed for IVs, which essentially means hatching a bazillion eggs until you get a good one. You can have a little bit of control over the IVs of a hatched Pokemon, though. A baby Pokemon will inherit at least 1, but up to 3, IVs from each parent. Which ones and how many from each parent are passed down is completely random, but there is one thing you can do to help get the IVs you want. If you have a parent Volcarona, for example, with 31 IVs in SpA, and you want to breed for a Larvesta that has 31 IVs in SpA and 31 in Speed, you can give the parent Volcarona the Power Item (In this case, the Power Lens) that goes with the IV you want to pass down, and that one will be guaranteed to be given to the Larvesta. You can also give the other parent a Power Item as well. So, you can control up to 2 IVs that your hatched Pokemon get.

Received and caught Pokemon, on the other hand, have completely random IVs and if you want certain ones, you'll have to SR for them.

Garbodor.

Dirkac isn't exactly right in his/her reply.

An IV is an "Individual Value". (EV stands for "Effort Value"). Each Pokemon has 6 stats, as you know, and it has an IV for each stat. This IV cannot be changed. It is set when you catch, hatch, or receive the Pokemon. An IV will range from 0 to 31 (not 1, as dirkac said). You want a high number as an IV - a Pokemon with a high IV in a stat will have a higher value in that stat. A Pokemon with 31 IVs in every stat (or in every stat that matters - for example, Volcarona's Attack stat doesn't matter, and therefore it doesn't matter what the IV is in Attack) is called a "perfect" Pokemon. It is VERY difficult to get high IVs in each stat, as it is completely random what you'll end up with.

Some people like to breed for IVs, which essentially means hatching a bazillion eggs until you get a good one. You can have a little bit of control over the IVs of a hatched Pokemon, though. A baby Pokemon will inherit at least 1, but up to 3, IVs from each parent. Which ones and how many from each parent are passed down is completely random, but there is one thing you can do to help get the IVs you want. If you have a parent Volcarona, for example, with 31 IVs in SpA, and you want to breed for a Larvesta that has 31 IVs in SpA and 31 in Speed, you can give the parent Volcarona the Power Item (In this case, the Power Lens) that goes with the IV you want to pass down, and that one will be guaranteed to be given to the Larvesta. You can also give the other parent a Power Item as well. So, you can control up to 2 IVs that your hatched Pokemon get.

Received and caught Pokemon, on the other hand, have completely random IVs and if you want certain ones, you'll have to SR for them.

Thank you for your great explanation once again.

I guess IV's are somewhat complex matter when it comes to Pokemon. I will follow what you said.
I only care about volcarona's sp.attack and speed. Hopefully I will get one with Good Iv's in those states.

Okay so i just restarted my Black 2 game and i picked Snivy. It has a modest nature, and i was wondering if that is good, and if a special attacking Serperior works in-game.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Okay so i just restarted my Black 2 game and i picked Snivy. It has a modest nature, and i was wondering if that is good, and if a special attacking Serperior works in-game.

Modest is okay, but Timid is better. Serperior can be a physical or special attacker. A Modest Serperior would be just fine in-game. :)

My team in Black 2 is:
Serperior
Arcanine
Crobat
Zoroark
Jelicent
And i don't know what else to use. I was thinks about Metagross, Aggron, or Excadrill. Which of those do you like best for my team?

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
My team in Black 2 is:
Serperior
Arcanine
Crobat
Zoroark
Jelicent
And i don't know what else to use. I was thinks about Metagross, Aggron, or Excadrill. Which of those do you like best for my team?

Metagross appears very late in the game, while Excadrill isn't the best In-Game.

I'd go for Aggron, and althout it isn't in your choices, Flygon instead possibly.

Aggron and Flygon are both about just as good In-Game.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Metagross appears very late in the game, while Excadrill isn't the best In-Game.

I'd go for Aggron, and althout it isn't in your choices, Flygon instead possibly.

Aggron and Flygon are both about just as good In-Game.

What are talking about? Go with excadrill. I beat the entire elite four with that alone. Give it swords dance, eaarthquake, x-scissor, rock slide. Done. It's amazing.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
What are talking about? Go with excadrill. I beat the entire elite four with that alone. Give it swords dance, eaarthquake, x-scissor, rock slide. Done. It's amazing.

I'm talking about persoanl preference that Marlon/Marshall can easily OHKO that thing while Aggron can actually take a hit and survive, and then retaliate harder due to better movepool.

Status
Not open for further replies.