• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Black 2 & White 2 Help thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Okay im seriously struggling to form a well balanced team.
Ive got Scizor with EV training in ATK and SPD plus the technician ability
Leafeon Same as scizor.
Milotic trained in special defense and defense. Or my Lapras in more or less the same manner.

But then im stumped i wanted to use some of my other favorites like Arbok or tyranitar. Maybe even Pidgeot or Manectric. But everyone tells me they are extremely bad and definately would not last long in an online fight.

Are they really that bad and if i use them how can i make them up to the best standard they can be at?

You need to discuss this in the Competitive subforum, on this thread. But here's the general idea of what you need to do.

You may already know this, but competitively, there are "tiers" of Pokemon of different strengths, because Pokemon all have different Base Stat Totals, which is the sum of each of the Pokemon's base stats. You can find a list of Pokemon by base stat total here. If it isn't already, you can organize that list by total base stat by clicking on that column heading. Arceus has the highest Base Stat Total, at 720.

Now, this is important competitively because Pokemon with higher BSTs have higher stats than ones with lower BST, obviously. This is where tiers come into play. In order for players to be able to use their favorite Pokemon competitively, "tiers" have been established that group Pokemon based on their overall power, moveset, and BST. Manectric is in RU, for "Rarely Used", and Arbok is in NU, for "Never Used". Very powerful Pokemon, like Garchomp and Infernape, are in OU, for "Overused". Most legendary Pokemon are in Uber. Because most Uber legendary Pokemon are banned in the Wifi battles, 99% of the time, when you log on to Nintendo Wifi to battle people, you will find people using Pokemon in the OU (and sometimes UU) tier because they are the strongest allowed. In addition to this, most people on Wifi battles have IV-bred and EV-trained their Pokemon to max out their stats even further, as well as breeding for the perfect nature and ability. You can find a list of which Pokemon are in which tiers here.

Because of this, the Pokemon you want to use - Manectric and Arbok - will have lower speed, attack, HP, everything - than almost ANY Pokemon that you will be fighting online. You can use these Pokemon if you want to, but because they have such low stats compared to things in the OU tier, you will most likely not win any battles, even if you breed for IVs, nature, and ability, and EV-train, because these Pokemon just naturally are unable to take hits from 31-IV, fully EV-trained OU Pokemon. Each of these Pokemon have counterparts who can do their job better - Manectric with Magnezone and Arbok with Toxicroak.

Scizor and Tyranitar, on the other hand, are competitively viable. I use a Scizor online sometimes. Tyranitar is only really useful if you're going to make a Sandstorm team because of his many weaknesses. Milotic isn't actually too bad either; she's in UU (underused) rather than OU, but UU Pokemon are often seen in the Wifi battles as well. I sometimes use Milotic, too :)

To answer your question, you can use RU and NU Pokemon online, but even at their best, they won't be able to stand up to the hordes of Garchomp, Latios, and Infernape that rule the online Wifi battles. If you want to use them, you will have to make sure that they have halfway decent IVs, are fully EV-trained, are using their abilities correctly, and have a wide range of coverage moves. It's best if you put together a team that works in sync, rather than a conglomeration of your favorite Pokemon that can't help each other. That's the best way to win these battles. If you want to use RU and NU Pokemon competitively, you can look on the Competitive Forums or put in your signature that you are looking for battles in those tiers. People around here will happily battle you!

B-Rabbit

Abyssal
You need to discuss this in the Competitive subforum, on this thread. But here's the general idea of what you need to do.

You may already know this, but competitively, there are "tiers" of Pokemon of different strengths, because Pokemon all have different Base Stat Totals, which is the sum of each of the Pokemon's base stats. You can find a list of Pokemon by base stat total here. If it isn't already, you can organize that list by total base stat by clicking on that column heading. Arceus has the highest Base Stat Total, at 720.

Now, this is important competitively because Pokemon with higher BSTs have higher stats than ones with lower BST, obviously. This is where tiers come into play. In order for players to be able to use their favorite Pokemon competitively, "tiers" have been established that group Pokemon based on their overall power, moveset, and BST. Manectric is in RU, for "Rarely Used", and Arbok is in NU, for "Never Used". Very powerful Pokemon, like Garchomp and Infernape, are in OU, for "Overused". Most legendary Pokemon are in Uber. Because most Uber legendary Pokemon are banned in the Wifi battles, 99% of the time, when you log on to Nintendo Wifi to battle people, you will find people using Pokemon in the OU (and sometimes UU) tier because they are the strongest allowed. In addition to this, most people on Wifi battles have IV-bred and EV-trained their Pokemon to max out their stats even further, as well as breeding for the perfect nature and ability. You can find a list of which Pokemon are in which tiers here.

Because of this, the Pokemon you want to use - Manectric and Arbok - will have lower speed, attack, HP, everything - than almost ANY Pokemon that you will be fighting online. You can use these Pokemon if you want to, but because they have such low stats compared to things in the OU tier, you will most likely not win any battles, even if you breed for IVs, nature, and ability, and EV-train, because these Pokemon just naturally are unable to take hits from 31-IV, fully EV-trained OU Pokemon. Each of these Pokemon have counterparts who can do their job better - Manectric with Magnezone and Arbok with Toxicroak.

Scizor and Tyranitar, on the other hand, are competitively viable. I use a Scizor online sometimes. Tyranitar is only really useful if you're going to make a Sandstorm team because of his many weaknesses. Milotic isn't actually too bad either; she's in UU (underused) rather than OU, but UU Pokemon are often seen in the Wifi battles as well. I sometimes use Milotic, too :)

To answer your question, you can use RU and NU Pokemon online, but even at their best, they won't be able to stand up to the hordes of Garchomp, Latios, and Infernape that rule the online Wifi battles. If you want to use them, you will have to make sure that they have halfway decent IVs, are fully EV-trained, are using their abilities correctly, and have a wide range of coverage moves. It's best if you put together a team that works in sync, rather than a conglomeration of your favorite Pokemon that can't help each other. That's the best way to win these battles. If you want to use RU and NU Pokemon competitively, you can look on the Competitive Forums or put in your signature that you are looking for battles in those tiers. People around here will happily battle you!

To be honest i didnt know any of this. I apologise for the out of place topic and thank you for the information provided. I know how to EV train i just dont really know much about IV's there is an explanation on this site i know but it kind of goes over my head.
It's a shame that Arbok especially cant match up to much i do very much like him.
But i have others that i would use. As for OU pokemon i think i would really rather not. No real value in winning with something everyone uses.
More so of an achievement winning with something no one expects. I hope in X and Y pokemon are a little more balanced and some lower tier pokemon are given some boosts highly doubtful though

johnyboy169

Dragon Master
I am currently trying to EV train my level 5 Pikachu, it is currently holding a power bracer.

Where are all the spots/best spots in the game where i can EV train my Pikachu in attack?

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I am currently trying to EV train my level 5 Pikachu, it is currently holding a power bracer.

Where are all the spots/best spots in the game where i can EV train my Pikachu in attack?

In B2/W2, here are the best EV-training spots:

HP: Route 8
Palpitoad and Stunfisk
2 HP each
100% encounter rate
Surfing

Attack: Victory Road 1F
Banette and Golurk
100% encounter rate (combined)

Route 19
Patrat
1 Atk
50% encounter rate; 100% rustling grass

Defense
: Relic Castle 1F
Sandshrew and Yamask
1 Def each
60% encounter rate

Sp. Atk: Celestial Tower 1F
Litwick
100% encounter rate
1 SpA

Sp. Def: Verbank City
Frillish
1 SpD
100% encounter rate
Surfing

Speed: Route 1, Route 19
Basculin
100% encounter rate
2 Spe
Surfing

Also, keep in mind that if you give your Pikachu Pokerus, you will double the number of EVs it gets, stacked with the Power Bracer. It will cut your training time in half.

Last edited:

johnyboy169

Dragon Master
Thanks for the reply, what about when it gets to a much higher level? it will take ages to train against level 1-4 patrat :/.

Also how can I give it pokerus?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Thanks for the reply, what about when it gets to a much higher level? it will take ages to train against level 1-4 patrat :/.

Also how can I give it pokerus?

The only way to get PokeRus is from another Pokemon, so you'll have to find a Pokemon with it first.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
Yeah i thought so :/

I just figured out that if you've gotten to Victory Road, you can EV-train for Attack on 1F. Banette and Golurk give 2 Atk each and you have a 100% encounter rate for them combined. I'll edit my previous post to say that.

Also, I have Pokerus if you'd like it. I'll give it to you fo' free; just PM me.

johnyboy169

Dragon Master
I just figured out that if you've gotten to Victory Road, you can EV-train for Attack on 1F. Banette and Golurk give 2 Atk each and you have a 100% encounter rate for them combined. I'll edit my previous post to say that.

Also, I have Pokerus if you'd like it. I'll give it to you fo' free; just PM me.

Sent you a PM (before i read this.)

PS. thanks for the help, appreciate it

Haruhi112

Dream2Reality Girl
Has this happened to you? You run into a wild pokemon and it appears to have the ability Illusion. You catch it and the game tells you that it already has an OT. You investigate and find that the pokemon's OT was N.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Has this happened to you? You run into a wild pokemon and it appears to have the ability Illusion. You catch it and the game tells you that it already has an OT. You investigate and find that the pokemon's OT was N.
It's one of N's Pokemon. There are more in the game.

Tobinian

Hey everyone
I have Black 2, and am currently on floor 8 of Black Tower. My brother who has White 2 is also on floor 8 of White Tree hollow, and later today we plan on swapping keys so we can access each others areas.
So I was told that the reward for beating these areas was A shiny Gible in Black 2 and a shiny Dratini in White 2. Now, I've never liked the Garchomp line as I don't think it's design is particularly good, not to mention the fact that It's shiny might aswell not even exist it's so similar to the normal colour scheme. So, I'm just wondering how this reward system works. Once you clear White tree hollow, do you always get a shiny Dratini, regardless of wether you cleared it on Black 2/ White 2, similarly, will clearing Black Tower always give you a shiny Gible? Is it like how I just described, but you can only get one shiny (So I would want to clear White tree hollow first) or am I out of luck and there's no way I can get the Shiny Dratini?
Thanks for any help in advanced

Myrrh

The Pokemon are game dependent and not area dependent, so you are stuck with the dragon your version gives you.

Mera

I've got a question when it comes to the move assurance. Its power doubles when the target already took damage, would that include damage from being either poisoned or burned?

Myrrh

I've got a question when it comes to the move assurance. Its power doubles when the target already took damage, would that include damage from being either poisoned or burned?

No, since Burn and Poison damage all take place after all attacks have been dealt. Assurance is best used in Doubles/Triples, or if you have hazards up (Spikes or Stealth Rock) and you know the opponent will switch.

Greekboy

Hi, I'm getting White 2 tomorrow :)

I'm just wondering if you can get a pokemon in the Roselia line and the Swinub line before the E4?

ebevan91

Hi, I'm getting White 2 tomorrow :)

I'm just wondering if you can get a pokemon in the Roselia line and the Swinub line before the E4?

Yes. You can get Roselia in the Lostlorn Forest east of Nimbasa City.

As for Swinub, you actually have to get Piloswine. It appears at the Giant Chasm which is before the E4.

Mera

Too bad. OK thanks Myrrh

Ok if you were to use clear smog on a steel type it wouldn't take damage, however would its effect of reversing all stat changes still work?

Last edited:

telivisionhead

It's one of N's Pokemon. There are more in the game.

Yes. If you memory link with a completed pokemon black or white game into a pokemon black 2 or white 2 game you can see random flashbacks,catch some of N's pokemon and battle Bianca when you go to route 1 after beating the game. You can also get the same items you have from your prop case you had from pokemon black and white (not that many people even did the musical so it's not really a biggy for the music case prop thingy) But that just about explains it.

varanus_komodoensis

they call me Varanus
I have a question about changing the date and time.

I just called Curtis (Yancy if you play as a guy) 50 times, and I believe that after that, you have to wait a day before you can trade with him. I set the date on my DS ahead by one day and called him again, but he didn't offer to trade with me. I guess you have to wait an actual 24 hours, and not just tell the game that it's the next day?

My other question about this is now do I still have to wait 24 hours for Curtis and the Dream World since I changed the date on the DS, or is there some sort of time penalty for my doing that?

Status
Not open for further replies.