• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Black 2 & White 2 Help thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Hey guys, can someone trade or give to me an iceberg key ( the regi's stuff)
my version is black 2
my friend code is 094629888469
tks

Just so you're aware, you'll be hard pressed to find someone to help you out with something like this. The keys can only be transferred locally, i.e. with someone very nearby to you. Trading for the Regis can also only be done locally now, since Wi-Fi for DS games went down several months ago.

So, that means you'll have to find someone living in your area to help you, which could be difficult. Honestly, I'd say that if you really need the other keys/Regis, your best bet would be to invest in another game and system and trade with yourself. If that's not possible, then you'll probably be out of luck.

Kaiser_DR

Just so you're aware, you'll be hard pressed to find someone to help you out with something like this. The keys can only be transferred locally, i.e. with someone very nearby to you. Trading for the Regis can also only be done locally now, since Wi-Fi for DS games went down several months ago.

So, that means you'll have to find someone living in your area to help you, which could be difficult. Honestly, I'd say that if you really need the other keys/Regis, your best bet would be to invest in another game and system and trade with yourself. If that's not possible, then you'll probably be out of luck.

tks Aquarelle,actually i am trying to find someone to trade a tepig, rufflet, skitty and other to acces the nature preserve, i think it's gona be hard whith the global link out

Rainy Bluefoxie

Can anyone please tell me if you are able to get the lati twins shiny in the dream yard? I've heard from someone that you are not able to soft rest for them anymore. Did a patch come out for white 2 that prevents soft restting? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Kalosian

So long
Can anyone please tell me if you are able to get the lati twins shiny in the dream yard? I've heard from someone that you are not able to soft rest for them anymore. Did a patch come out for white 2 that prevents soft restting? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
They can be shiny, there isn't anything preventing that.

Zach96

Original
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read this.
I have spent the last few months going back over some of the games before Pokémon X and Y to bridge the gap between my FireRed with a complete Pokédex and the Y version I bought when it came out last year. After beating SoulSilver last week, I am trying to trade some of the Pokémon from it to my White 2 game by using Download Play (as I understand this to be the only way of trading from the previous generation games). I received a communication error when I attempt to do this, and I have already reset my Wi-Fi security to none and two WEP with no results.

I understand that in May of this year, Nintendo shut down DS networking services. Does this mean that I cannot trade between my own SoulSilver and White 2 games and my own DS systems? This seems ridiculous.

Thank you for your time.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Hello, and thank you for taking the time to read this.
I have spent the last few months going back over some of the games before Pokémon X and Y to bridge the gap between my FireRed with a complete Pokédex and the Y version I bought when it came out last year. After beating SoulSilver last week, I am trying to trade some of the Pokémon from it to my White 2 game by using Download Play (as I understand this to be the only way of trading from the previous generation games). I received a communication error when I attempt to do this, and I have already reset my Wi-Fi security to none and two WEP with no results.

I understand that in May of this year, Nintendo shut down DS networking services. Does this mean that I cannot trade between my own SoulSilver and White 2 games and my own DS systems? This seems ridiculous.

Thank you for your time.

You CAN still transfer Pokemon from Gen 4 to 5 as wi-fi is not required for that.

To transfer, you'll need to go to the Poke Transfer Lab on your White 2, which is located on Route 15. IIRC, you have to have beaten the main story before you can go there. Anyway, in the transfer lab you have to talk to one of the scientists at the back of the room and then go to the download play option on your *other* system (with SoulSilver in that DS). You should be able to access the Poke Transfer from there and send Pokemon over to White 2.

Last edited:

Zach96

Original
You CAN still transfer Pokemon from Gen 4 to 5 as wi-fi is not required for that.

To transfer, you'll need to go to the Poke Transfer Lab on your White 2, which is located on Route 15. IIRC, you have to have beaten the main story before you can go there. Anyway, in the transfer lab you have to talk to one of the scientists at the back of the room and then go to the download play option on your *other* system (with SoulSilver in that DS). You should be able to access the Poke Transfer from there and send Pokemon over to White 2.

I really want this to be the case, that maybe there is something wrong with one of my systems. However, I have spoken with someone at Nintendo's tech support department and they told me that even local trading was disabled when they discontinued wireless services in May.

Does Download Play not require WiFi? When I tried this with wireless disabled on both devices I was told I had to enable it.

I would really like it if someone could confirm whether or not trading can still take place between BW/B2W2 and any game from the prior generation. If so, I will happily purchase a new system to try and make this work.

Last edited:

Aquarelle

Staff member
I really want this to be the case, that maybe there is something wrong with one of my systems. However, I have spoken with someone at Nintendo's tech support department and they told me that even local trading was disabled when they discontinued wireless services in May.

Does Download Play not require WiFi? When I tried this with wireless disabled on both devices I was told I had to enable it.

I would really like it if someone could confirm whether or not trading can still take place between BW/B2W2 and any game from the prior generation. If so, I will happily purchase a new system to try and make this work.

Yes, transferring between Gen 4 & 5 games can still take place, as can local trading between games of the same generation. I have done both several times since the wi-fi shutdown.

Wi-fi and the system's wireless connection abilities are not the same. You do not need to have a wi-fi connection in order to use the local wireless features of the DS; they are completely unaffected by the shutdown.

If you cannot transfer at all, then the only reasons I can think of are that there is something wrong with one of your systems or you've made a mistake somewhere in the transfer process. Are you 100% sure you've been trying to transfer correctly?

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!

You need the "wireless" option turn on. The Wireless option will turn off ALL communication with other DS or 3DSes, not just wifi.

The DS "phat" and DS lite doesn't have the option to disable wireless. In the DSi Models, check the Setting Menu and the middle menu option on Screen 1 will be "Wireless Comunications" just make sure ON is selected. The "older" 3DS and the "older" 3DS XL, has a wireless switch on the Right side with a Yellow light near by. If it's Flashing, or on constantly, the Wirless is on. Use that switch to turn on. Due to the Way 3DS/3DS XL Wireless switch works with DS and DSi games, you need to turn it on when on the 3DS home menu. The 2DS's switch is under the spanner icon on the Main Menu.

Download play works fine, as does with All Local wireless functions with all the games. If you using one of 3DS family as the console to take Pokémon from, just remember to select DS Download play, not 3DS download play.

Local Wireless trading works.. I did it a few moments ago, with my 3ds with Heart Gold and DS "phat" with Diamond. Just check what is on those screens.

Last edited:

Zach96

Original
Yes, transferring between Gen 4 & 5 games can still take place, as can local trading between games of the same generation. I have done both several times since the wi-fi shutdown.

Wi-fi and the system's wireless connection abilities are not the same. You do not need to have a wi-fi connection in order to use the local wireless features of the DS; they are completely unaffected by the shutdown.

If you cannot transfer at all, then the only reasons I can think of are that there is something wrong with one of your systems or you've made a mistake somewhere in the transfer process. Are you 100% sure you've been trying to transfer correctly?

Ok, cautiously optimistic now.

I am going to Route 15's trade building in White 2 on my 3DS, getting to the Download Play message, opening Download Play on my DSi with SoulSilver in the cartridge slot, selecting the download play instance of the correct ID number, and then after waiting a few seconds it gives me an error that says "the data could not be read. Please turn off the system and try again" or something very close to those words.

I have never used this system to trade before, since I bought it specifically for what I am now attempting to do. I will try trading between two 3Ds systems and see if I am able to make that work.

Thank you for your help.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Ok, cautiously optimistic now.

I am going to Route 15's trade building in White 2 on my 3DS, getting to the Download Play message, opening Download Play on my DSi with SoulSilver in the cartridge slot, selecting the download play instance of the correct ID number, and then after waiting a few seconds it gives me an error that says "the data could not be read. Please turn off the system and try again" or something very close to those words.

I have never used this system to trade before, since I bought it specifically for what I am now attempting to do. I will try trading between two 3Ds systems and see if I am able to make that work.

Thank you for your help.

If it helps, I did your exact use case and had no issue. Used the 3DS as host system and downloaded the transfer program to a DSi, so it shouldn't definitely be working. It sounds like it could even be your White cartridge, since that's where the data has to originate from.

Zach96

Original
If it helps, I did your exact use case and had no issue. Used the 3DS as host system and downloaded the transfer program to a DSi, so it shouldn't definitely be working. It sounds like it could even be your White cartridge, since that's where the data has to originate from.

That does help, I was pretty disgusted last weekend when I tried all of this and couldn't get it to work. Now I (just) have to check out each part of the equation one by one until I find the problem.

Thanks everyone for confirming that it really still can be done.

Tyshadonyx

Hello World
Sorry, but I am quite new to the IV stuff, and would appreciate help with this if possible. Thank You!

Just started a new game of B2 and caught a few pokemon at the start like Riolu and Mareep all at lv 5, and my starter Oshawott(lv 7). I tried the Iv calcs on internet, the psypoke and metalkids one listed the possible Ivs of my pokes, the seribii one isnt wrking for me for some reason (maybe low levels?) My question is, how do I find exact ivs? like 30, 31,12,30,4,15 for eg? I hav seen people online stating evn low ivs unlike the 31 and 0.. I read that i should take mine to pwt or subway but thats nt possible nw. Any help? THank you.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Sorry, but I am quite new to the IV stuff, and would appreciate help with this if possible. Thank You!

Just started a new game of B2 and caught a few pokemon at the start like Riolu and Mareep all at lv 5, and my starter Oshawott(lv 7). I tried the Iv calcs on internet, the psypoke and metalkids one listed the possible Ivs of my pokes, the seribii one isnt wrking for me for some reason (maybe low levels?) My question is, how do I find exact ivs? like 30, 31,12,30,4,15 for eg? I hav seen people online stating evn low ivs unlike the 31 and 0.. I read that i should take mine to pwt or subway but thats nt possible nw. Any help? THank you.

Using an IV calculator is your best bet if you want to know your exact IV spread. However, as you've already mentioned, those calculators won't give you 100% accurate results at low levels and will often give you a range of possible IVs instead. So, you'll have to train your Pokemon to much higher levels first before IV calculators will give you accurate values. I don't know how high in level you have to be before you'll get 100% accurate results, but I know that level 100 should give you the exact spread for sure if you enter everything right.

Just make sure you're keeping track of your Pokemon's EVs, though. It will be impossible for you to calculate your IVs properly if you do not know what EVs your Pokemon have gained. If you haven't been keeping track, then you'll have to use EV reducing berries or something to reduce your EVs back to zero.

Hopefully this all makes sense. I probably shouldn't be posting at 5am

Last edited:

Tyshadonyx

Hello World
Using an IV calculator is your best bet if you want to know your exact IV spread. However, as you've already mentioned, those calculators won't give you 100% accurate results at low levels and will often give you a range of possible IVs instead. So, you'll have to train your Pokemon to much higher levels first before IV calculators will give you accurate values (e.g. inputing your stats level 100 should give you the exact spread).

Just make sure you're keeping track of your Pokemon's EVs, though. It will be impossible for you to calculate your IVs properly if you do not know what EVs your Pokemon have gained. If you haven't been keeping track, then you'll have to use EV reducing berries or something to reduce your EVs back to zero.

Hopefully this all makes sense. I probably shouldn't be posting at 5am

I hope this works, this is the first time I am quoting someone...

Hmmm, so thats the only way to go hmm? I wanted it more for the Snivy i just received from the trade. Mischevious with Modest nature, stat distribution is 14/6/7/7/7/7.. i was cautiosly happy with the 31 spA iv.. but the 11 one is quite bugging me.. anywways thank you for ur help.

and its 7 here... ;)

Aquarelle

Staff member
^A couple other things that may be helpful to you:

-There's someone at the Pokemon World Tournament area who will tell you your Pokemon's Hidden Power type
-The Battle Subway has a judge (postgame only iirc) who will tell you about the sum of your IVs (your Pokemon's "potential") and what stat(s) has the highest IV

Many IV calculators have fields asking for Hidden Power, potential, best stats, etc., so adding in this information can help provide accurate results.

Tyshadonyx

Hello World
^ I had totally forgotten 'bout that Hidden Power guy... But PWT is far, I will have to make do with the Battle Subway.

Keeping track of all EVs of all pokemon is a tall order... Wish they kept the subway like "level arrangement" near the start. I want to battle with my in-game team later on, plus I've heard that the gym trainers in pwt are quite a bunch of tough-loves. Atleast i grinded for the beneficient natures.. :D

Another Question- Are we able to get any EV reducing berries or items before the Battle Subway? Or any part if In-game for that matter?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Another Question- Are we able to get any EV reducing berries or items before the Battle Subway? Or any part if In-game for that matter?

You'll be able to pick some everyday from a NPC on Route 5, which is soon after the Battle Subway first is accessible. However, If I remember correctly, the Judge won't appear until after you beat the Elite 4.

Tyshadonyx

Hello World
^ Thanks for that. I sooo don't want the hassle of keeping the track of my EVs. Also, I think I can faintly recall from my W2 playthrough earlier this year; isn't there some drink or something in the Join Avenue Cafe stall that reduces EVs? Can anyone confirm this?

Kalosian

So long
Also, I think I can faintly recall from my W2 playthrough earlier this year; isn't there some drink or something in the Join Avenue Cafe stall that reduces EVs? Can anyone confirm this?
The Cafe doesn't have that feature, but the Beauty Salon does. A full list of what the services are named and what they do can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.