• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Black & White Help thread (Ask your questions here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone try to trade with me?
I just want to know if the Error 86420 problem is fixed.

Are Pokecheck Pokemon hacks (or considered hacks by VGC checkers)?

ROFL, VGC checkers... that's a good one! You should've seen the rampant cheating going on at these things last year. Over half the teams at the DC event last year had Thunderus who just happened to have perfect IVs for 70-power HP Ice, and by some "miracle" nearly half of those also happened to be shiny... Not a single person was taken out of the tournament other than through a loss to another player. So I doubt you'll have issues with something you take off Pokecheck. Just make sure it has strong IVs, because you have to expect to face teams with all 6 pokes having 31s in all their stats.

mia100

Hi guys, is there any way to get a light ball in black/ white? I wanted to bring my EV trained Pika over from the 4th gen but there's no point without the light ball! Serebii info says you can get them from pikachu's from the dream world but it doesn't seem there is any. Does anyone know if there is a way to get one?

dewey911p

primus inter pares
Hi guys, is there any way to get a light ball in black/ white? I wanted to bring my EV trained Pika over from the 4th gen but there's no point without the light ball! Serebii info says you can get them from pikachu's from the dream world but it doesn't seem there is any. Does anyone know if there is a way to get one?

no clue about the DW, but there was a few event pikachu's given out in B/W with the light ball. you could always try the item trading thread if you dont have access to any of those

TDawg

ROFL, VGC checkers... that's a good one! You should've seen the rampant cheating going on at these things last year. Over half the teams at the DC event last year had Thunderus who just happened to have perfect IVs for 70-power HP Ice, and by some "miracle" nearly half of those also happened to be shiny... Not a single person was taken out of the tournament other than through a loss to another player. So I doubt you'll have issues with something you take off Pokecheck. Just make sure it has strong IVs, because you have to expect to face teams with all 6 pokes having 31s in all their stats.

Most of them probably RNGed. Which isn't hacking or cheating in any way, shape, or form. The Pokemon Company itself said it was completely legal, just beats the spirit of Pokemon, if you know what I mean.

Japanese Event and Japanese DW.

Most of them probably RNGed. Which isn't hacking or cheating in any way, shape, or form. The Pokemon Company itself said it was completely legal, just beats the spirit of Pokemon, if you know what I mean.

Considering the Smogon thread I found in advance of that tournament where a guy called Muffinhead was using AR to clone RNG'd pokes for other Smogon users to use in the tournaments, a fair number of them went against the official policy you cited. And as per the head judge I spoke to at the event, Pokemon isn't doing anything about RNG because they don't have an efficient way of checking for it due to the nature of the manipulation.

And besides 'legality', when you go into a tournament where you should be expecting your opponents to be legitimately catching/breeding and training their pokemon, RNGing yours is definitely taking an unfair advantage. RNG isn't any different than using Acekards or R4s, it just gets around the definition of hacking. So it destroys the spirit of fair play to use such pokes against someone who isn't also using them. I myself almost considered using it last year when I found out others were, but then I though about what I would be doing if paired against someone who hadn't done the same, and so I decided not to participate at all.

Aegon

And besides 'legality', when you go into a tournament where you should be expecting your opponents to be legitimately catching/breeding and training their pokemon, RNGing yours is definitely taking an unfair advantage. RNG isn't any different than using Acekards or R4s, it just gets around the definition of hacking. So it destroys the spirit of fair play to use such pokes against someone who isn't also using them. I myself almost considered using it last year when I found out others were, but then I though about what I would be doing if paired against someone who hadn't done the same, and so I decided not to participate at all.
Oh dear. RNGing and using R4s and such devices are not alike. It's quite a laughable comparison.

I decided not to participate at all.
Good for you. :)

TDawg

You are legitimately catching your Pokemon though. It's something your game can produce all by its lonesome. So I have no clue how the Pokemon Company can justify them as hacks or anything close to that. It is completely different, just like Speed said, and again it isn't hacking if it's something the game can do in the first place. That's their loss and your gain, as it's a competition. You're not cheating in any way.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Comparing ARs and R4s to RNGing is so completely wrong. That's like saying you discover a faster method to, say, improve your running. By your logic using this method to to make yourself a better runner makes you a cheater for entering competitions where the other runners used a longer method.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
My personal rule of is it hack or not, which is more or less the official Serebii forum Staff stance.

HACKs: If the device/system allows the user DIRECTLY alter the data which you can not do in game. This includes the AR and Game Sharks, and Dream World "hack" program. Save Editors do this while the games are not running, but still, hacking. ROM Cartages, and Emulators, like R4 and VGBA and practically illegal to get games for, and make it easy to get the Save file for.

NOT hacks: If you can obtain this information, or alter the info just using the game and console. If you can technically do the task using a pen and paper and a stopwatch, it's not hacking. Mind you, finding the info on RNG is hard via Pen and Paper alone, it's technically possible. The Pokémon produced are almost impossible to tell if they're used using the RNG method or by random chance. Impossible if you some how have date between the release of the games and today. Both RNG abuse and IV checking are not hacking.

shaymin63

Trainer
I have a question and not sure where is should go so im going to post it here.
I was going to help someone fill there dex with legendaries they didn't have so i traded my first pokemon for there Slowpoke. After the Slowpoke turned into a Slowking we went back to trade and i ended up with my pokemon and they ended up with there Slowpoke. What caused this to happen?

I have the slowking's data in my Dex.

Last edited:
Oh dear. RNGing and using R4s and such devices are not alike. It's quite a laughable comparison.

Good for you. :)

And good for you adding your nice little snark at the end of your post. You disagree with someone and you can't help but talk down to them. So since you find yourself unable to have a reasonable conversation about this, I will not respond to you further on the issue :)

You are legitimately catching your Pokemon though. It's something your game can produce all by its lonesome. So I have no clue how the Pokemon Company can justify them as hacks or anything close to that. It is completely different, just like Speed said, and again it isn't hacking if it's something the game can do in the first place. That's their loss and your gain, as it's a competition. You're not cheating in any way.

No, RNG isn't directly hacking, but it is achieving the same result by using a similar shortcut, rather than taking the time and effort required by someone using the games as they're intended. It could take thousands of SRs to get that Thunderus that RNG abuse calculated for you in what, a matter of minutes? As for "their loss and your gain, as it's a competition", it' not necessarily a competition, because you're not competing. You're using pokemon that essentially were given to you with flawless IVs to battle others who worked hard to get whatever result they had the time and patience to achieve.

Comparing ARs and R4s to RNGing is so completely wrong. That's like saying you discover a faster method to, say, improve your running. By your logic using this method to to make yourself a better runner makes you a cheater for entering competitions where the other runners used a longer method.

Poor analogy. It would take much hard work and practice to become a 'flawless' runner. Taking shortcuts would only hinder your end result. RNG abuse is more like being dropped into the body of an athelete and then being asked to prepare for a marathon. And in the case of these events, you're given that athletic body while your opponents were given the bodies of obese couch potatoes and asked to be just as prepared as you in the same amount of time.

My personal rule of is it hack or not, which is more or less the official Serebii forum Staff stance.

HACKs: If the device/system allows the user DIRECTLY alter the data which you can not do in game. This includes the AR and Game Sharks, and Dream World "hack" program. Save Editors do this while the games are not running, but still, hacking. ROM Cartages, and Emulators, like R4 and VGBA and practically illegal to get games for, and make it easy to get the Save file for.

NOT hacks: If you can obtain this information, or alter the info just using the game and console. If you can technically do the task using a pen and paper and a stopwatch, it's not hacking. Mind you, finding the info on RNG is hard via Pen and Paper alone, it's technically possible. The Pokémon produced are almost impossible to tell if they're used using the RNG method or by random chance. Impossible if you some how have date between the release of the games and today. Both RNG abuse and IV checking are not hacking.

Again, I didn't say RNG abuse is hacking. I said it's achieving the same result as those particular hacking methods are, while not directly manipulating the game data. It still absolves the player from the burden of breeding or SRing for what they want. Maybe I should've been more specific there, since I did kind of anticipate the pile-on I'm getting here. But either way, I never said no one should use RNG abuse, nor do I believe they necessarily shouldn't. It's just a matter of proper discipline that you would only use such pokemon against someone that has also obtained theirs the same way, or that has no problem battling against them anyway. But in the spirit of these competitions, you're meant to catch your legendaries and breed your other pokemon to be what you want in your tournament team. Using an outside program to effectively generate 80% of the results for you so you have to put in very little work yourself, knowing that those who followed the rules -as it were- would have to dedicate hours upon hours to obtain the same results, is dishonest and dishonorable in my book.

I would also like to point out that none of the responses to my post have said anything about the kid with the AR cloning his pokemon for a bunch of people so they could all go and dominate the tournament with his pokemon, especially since that post was a response to a challenge about cheating at the events. It would seem to be more about arguing semantics so that one can justify their own use of RNG abuse at this point instead of going back to the original issue.

Last edited:

Vendidurt

« Breeder »
look - point is, unless you really care about hidden power, you only need to breed for ability, nature, 2 (MAYBE 3) IV's, and thats about it. your opponents arent likely to survive your attack with 1hp, or outspeed you by 1, unless YOU do something about it.

i wound up with a ninetales that is 31/17/30/31/30/31, my nature, and ability. shes even a girl. and i hatched it without computer, pen and paper, or anything besides the game data and my very own DS.
it's not shiny either. i am VERY proud of getting this one.

i also have a pokemon that has about 4 in defense.

and i use them both. look, individuality gives your team personality. if you arent satisfied until everything is 31, then you will either hatch eggs left and right and have no life and get bored, or you will find a way to do it.
i agree that seeing a million shinies all over makes them less desired, but either like it or lump it. and assume that every pokemon runs hidden power ice or otherwise max coverage, assume that all pokemon run 31 in everything, and you wont be surprised.

also, the only stat that gets really particular is speed, in most cases. just decide the 2 or 3 most important stats. they will ACT as if they are flawless.

if you need to have cloned and hacked pokemon to win, you must not have a strong opinion on yourself. food for thought.

(BUT VENDIDERT YOU SHOULDNT CARE IF YOURE NINETAILS IS A GIRL IT HAS NO DIFFERANCE!!!!!!!!!!!1!LOLOL)
that's my business.

TDawg

And good for you adding your nice little snark at the end of your post. You disagree with someone and you can't help but talk down to them. So since you find yourself unable to have a reasonable conversation about this, I will not respond to you further on the issue :)

No, RNG isn't directly hacking, but it is achieving the same result by using a similar shortcut, rather than taking the time and effort required by someone using the games as they're intended. It could take thousands of SRs to get that Thunderus that RNG abuse calculated for you in what, a matter of minutes? As for "their loss and your gain, as it's a competition", it' not necessarily a competition, because you're not competing. You're using pokemon that essentially were given to you with flawless IVs to battle others who worked hard to get whatever result they had the time and patience to achieve.

Poor analogy. It would take much hard work and practice to become a 'flawless' runner. Taking shortcuts would only hinder your end result. RNG abuse is more like being dropped into the body of an athelete and then being asked to prepare for a marathon. And in the case of these events, you're given that athletic body while your opponents were given the bodies of obese couch potatoes and asked to be just as prepared as you in the same amount of time.

Again, I didn't say RNG abuse is hacking. I said it's achieving the same result as those particular hacking methods are, while not directly manipulating the game data. It still absolves the player from the burden of breeding or SRing for what they want. Maybe I should've been more specific there, since I did kind of anticipate the pile-on I'm getting here. But either way, I never said no one should use RNG abuse, nor do I believe they necessarily shouldn't. It's just a matter of proper discipline that you would only use such pokemon against someone that has also obtained theirs the same way, or that has no problem battling against them anyway. But in the spirit of these competitions, you're meant to catch your legendaries and breed your other pokemon to be what you want in your tournament team. Using an outside program to effectively generate 80% of the results for you so you have to put in very little work yourself, knowing that those who followed the rules -as it were- would have to dedicate hours upon hours to obtain the same results, is dishonest and dishonorable in my book.

I would also like to point out that none of the responses to my post have said anything about the kid with the AR cloning his pokemon for a bunch of people so they could all go and dominate the tournament with his pokemon, especially since that post was a response to a challenge about cheating at the events. It would seem to be more about arguing semantics so that one can justify their own use of RNG abuse at this point instead of going back to the original issue.

You do make very good argument, but while RNG shows you what you're end result will be, it can be extremely hard and if not harder to RNG a Pokemon rather than just hatching them.

When you're just hatching a Pokemon you are just holding down buttons and letting the game take it course naturally.

With RNG you have to hit a seed that appears at 1/60th of second. In some cases RNG can take hours of waiting time to get the perfect Pokemon strive for.

I am not trying to ultimately change your opinion, but just think, that RNGing can be just as tedious. I consider myself pretty good at RNG, but yesterday I had to spend all day gettting one Pokemon that I found desirable.

Either way it should be whatever floats your boat, but RNG and Non-RNG can be just as tedious, annoying, and hard.

You do make very good argument, but while RNG shows you what you're end result will be, it can be extremely hard and if not harder to RNG a Pokemon rather than just hatching them.

When you're just hatching a Pokemon you are just holding down buttons and letting the game take it course naturally.

With RNG you have to hit a seed that appears at 1/60th of second. In some cases RNG can take hours of waiting time to get the perfect Pokemon strive for.

I am not trying to ultimately change your opinion, but just think, that RNGing can be just as tedious. I consider myself pretty good at RNG, but yesterday I had to spend all day gettting one Pokemon that I found desirable.

Either way it should be whatever floats your boat, but RNG and Non-RNG can be just as tedious, annoying, and hard.

I suppose we can amicably agree to disagree on the issue then. I just think RNG abuse gives an unfair advantage when used in formats like the VGCs, where players are expected to have obtained their pokemon through breeding or regular capture methods.

IVs do make the games a lot more tedious when you want to play them competitively. But I can say this for Gamefreak, they continually add elements to breeding in the games to streamline the process and make it more tolerable for players to do it the way they set it up to work.

TDawg

I suppose we can amicably agree to disagree on the issue then. I just think RNG abuse gives an unfair advantage when used in formats like the VGCs, where players are expected to have obtained their pokemon through breeding or regular capture methods.

IVs do make the games a lot more tedious when you want to play them competitively. But I can say this for Gamefreak, they continually add elements to breeding in the games to streamline the process and make it more tolerable for players to do it the way they set it up to work.

Seems fair, but I gotta ask... how is RNGing not breeding or capturing when in fact you are? I am not trying to prolong the argument, it's just where does Game Freak or The Pokemon Company say players are expected not to RNG (pretty much what you're saying)?

Hey, just a question. If I breed a male Pokemon with Ditto, will the result be Ditto or the Male Pokemon?

Thanks! People here can really be counted on.

Status
Not open for further replies.