• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Colosseum and XD Help Thread - Small questions go here!

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
-It's a long time after the game ends for Agate.
-You can't trade til you've beaten the main "boss." Though it's not really the end of the story since the story still keeps going.
-Only one of the Dogs is in Mt. Battle. Dakim owns Entei, Venus owns Suicune, and Ein owns Raikou. Whenever you face them, you will have a chance to capture them.
-Mm, I'd suggest a little higher if they're purified.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
where can i buy the colognes, and what do they do?

why is the time flute so special?

if i beat all the Mt Battle trainers before i beat "the boss" at realgam tower, will i still win Ho-oh?

Last edited:

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
- You can buy them in the shop in Agate Village. But first you need a cologne case - a girl by the Pokemon centre in Agate gives one to you after the events in Mt Battle I believe?

- Time flute is special as it instantly purifies a Pokemon, no matter how full their shadow metre is. I'd hang on to it and use it for the harder-to-purify ones. In total you can find three of them.

- No. FIRSTLY - you won't get Ho-oh at all in the storymode Mt Battle (only a lot of coupons, a Time Flute and a small feeling of satisfaction?) - you need to do in in Colosseum mode (Check Colosseum FAQ for more info - better read that just in case). But the main thing is you need to have had purified all 48 Shadow Pokemon - which is impossible to do before Regleam Tower.

What's the name of the Hero is Colosseum? It's Wes, right?

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Wes and Rui if I remember right.
Correct. The name that the hero is most known as is Wes - one of the default names. Occassionally known as Seth as well, but primarily Wes.

And the girl is also known as Rui. :)

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
would it be a good idea to use my two only Time Flutes on Tyranitar and Metagross?

Also the vivid scent doesnt do anything to metagross and tyranitar.. it says it got a lot happier but it will drop about 1/6 of one section of the shadow bar

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
You can get 3 Flutes in the game. If you're having trouble with them it might not be a bad idea. And it does do something, it's just not as effective since they're harder Pokemon.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
would it be a good idea to use my two only Time Flutes on Tyranitar and Metagross?

Also the vivid scent doesnt do anything to metagross and tyranitar.. it says it got a lot happier but it will drop about 1/6 of one section of the shadow bar
Adding to Chaos Emerald's reply - yes, it would a decent idea - as Metagross and Tyranitar are the hardest ones to purify, I'd suggest you do. Them being hard to purify is shown by the fact that the scents don't do much to them at all. Of course, purifying methods also depends on the nature of the Pokemon so maybe it's being quite slow due to their natures... I should do that purification guide soon.

For the heck of it - one Time flute is given to you after Mt Battle, one is at the top of Mt Battle (battle 100) in storymode, and one can be obtained via the U-disk on the UFO in the Under.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm assuming you mean what happens when you use another Time Flute ingame after getting Celebi via the Japanese bonus disk...

Well, the thing is you can only get Celebi after you have purified all 48 Shadow Pokemon. So if you had a spare Time flute then, you wouldn't be able to use it anyway as all Shadow Pokemon would be purified.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Well, a message would pop up, but not one saying 'Celebi ain't here go away' or soemthing like that, for you wouldn't even be able to try and call Celebi up, as you would not be able to use the Time Flute properly. In using a Time Flute you need to select the Pokemon you want to purify in your party - I imagine that it would say something along the lines of 'That Pokemon ain't Shadow' or something like that - basically the generic message for if you tried to purify a non-shadow Pokemon. But I'm not quite sure as I haven't tried it yet... but an educated guess.

Anyways, also according to serebii.net on getting Celebi after you get it Eagun mentions that although Celebi has gone, its power to purify shadow Pokemon remains.

pkmnhippy

Banned
your probably right, but the power stays in the rock (that's how it was usable in xd) but celebi goes away so you can't summon it

new question: in xd what happens after you beat the last colosseum (i forgot its name)

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes, the power stays in the Shrine - similar to how it was there when you purified Pokemon without using the Time Flute anyway.

For the Orre Colosseum, you get some Pokecoupons and a TM, as well as a 'Title'. The very last one you get a TM02... go here - has the whole list of what you get for each 'level'. Also the Orre Colosseum thread (main section - is stickyed) is helpful on all aspects of the Orre Colosseum. :)

DarkDragon

Hasta pasta
Hi, all. OK, I know that there are sites and threads dedicated specifically to shinies, but I wanted to know if anyone could direct me to details about how the Random Number Generators work in Colo and XD, so that I might maximize my chances of finding a shiny (in particular, I'd like Lugia, which doesn't even indicate its shininess until after you purify it!). I've played Colo through 3 times (well, I got 3 Ho-oh, at least) and XD twice (including lots of time with random Pokemon such as Trapinch and Zubat on that game!). I have never, ever seen a shiny on these games yet. I think that it is a bit odd, that I've seen thousands of Pokemon (including the non-catchables generated to my in-game "enemies") but haven't seen a single shiny. I know that the chance of finding a shiny is 1/8192 per Pokemon generated, so that I could easily not see any shinies in playing through 5 games, but still...

Where is information about the RNG (please link me up!)? And please give any possible advice about how to maximize my chances with the RNG in Colo/XD in order to obtain some nice shinies!

Thanks!

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
I would assume the RNG works in a similar way to Ruby/Sapphire, but I don't think anyone's done any extensive research on these games' RNGs because it's much harder to look at a Gamecube game in-depth than a GBA game. Also, the in-game enemies can't be shiny unless they're the catchable Pokemon.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
Where is information about the RNG (please link me up!)? And please give any possible advice about how to maximize my chances with the RNG in Colo/XD in order to obtain some nice shinies!
Yep, the chance a Pokemon is a shiny Pokemon works the same way as 3rd and 4th gen games - here's a link.
And there are no ways to increase your chances with finding a shiny Pokemon, unless you use the Pokeradar for Diamond and Pearl.

Also - there's nothing odd about the fact that you haven't encountered a shiny Pokemon thus far. In Colosseum only 'gettable' Pokemon can be shiny - in fact that's for basically every game bar for two trainers in FR/LG, and the possibility of 'renting' a shiny in Emeralds Battle Frontier.

So in Colosseum, there's 48 Shadow Pokemon + Espeon/Umbreon + Plusle + Ho-oh makes 52 pokes that could be shiny. In XD, well, let's be rather generous in your wild Pokemon encounters and say you see 200 Pokemon that you can get per run-through. Three Colo run-throughs and two XD run-throughs makes for 556 Pokes that could be shiny - around a 6.8% chance. You'll need to repeat that more than 14 times by that chance...

And that's assuming that your luck is dead-on average. Heck, there's a chance you'll never see a shiny. There's nothing to it but good old random luck. So just have paitence, and you might just get one. :) You could always go for the soft-reseting option, but for Lugia it's timely and for Ho-oh nigh impossible without losing your sanity, methinks. (Saves after you get it, not when you actually can tell for sure if it's shiny).

Or if you don't care where you get a shiny Pokemon from or which one and have Diamond and Pearl, (or are getting Platinum), there's an easier method via 'chaining' by using the Pokeradar - look in the 4th gen sections or do a google search. Basically it's a technique that if honed allows you a far greater chance at finding a shiny Pokemon. :)

DarkDragon

Hasta pasta
Yep, the chance a Pokemon is a shiny Pokemon works the same way as 3rd and 4th gen games - here's a link.
And there are no ways to increase your chances with finding a shiny Pokemon, unless you use the Pokeradar for Diamond and Pearl.

Also - there's nothing odd about the fact that you haven't encountered a shiny Pokemon thus far. In Colosseum only 'gettable' Pokemon can be shiny - in fact that's for basically every game bar for two trainers in FR/LG, and the possibility of 'renting' a shiny in Emeralds Battle Frontier.

So in Colosseum, there's 48 Shadow Pokemon + Espeon/Umbreon + Plusle + Ho-oh makes 52 pokes that could be shiny. In XD, well, let's be rather generous in your wild Pokemon encounters and say you see 200 Pokemon that you can get per run-through. Three Colo run-throughs and two XD run-throughs makes for 556 Pokes that could be shiny - around a 6.8% chance. You'll need to repeat that more than 14 times by that chance...

And that's assuming that your luck is dead-on average. Heck, there's a chance you'll never see a shiny. There's nothing to it but good old random luck. So just have paitence, and you might just get one. :) You could always go for the soft-reseting option, but for Lugia it's timely and for Ho-oh nigh impossible without losing your sanity, methinks. (Saves after you get it, not when you actually can tell for sure if it's shiny).

Or if you don't care where you get a shiny Pokemon from or which one and have Diamond and Pearl, (or are getting Platinum), there's an easier method via 'chaining' by using the Pokeradar - look in the 4th gen sections or do a google search. Basically it's a technique that if honed allows you a far greater chance at finding a shiny Pokemon. :)

It's pretty insulting when the SPPF staff doesn't bother to read your question before they post a respose. I asked if you could direct me to information about how the Random Number Generator works on Colo and XD. I didn't ask you about how to find a shiny. Your colleague, Chaos Emerald, answered the question I asked; you didn't.

I understand a lot about the probabilities of generating shinies (two raised to the third power chance of shininess out of a random number generated from zero to two raised to the sixteenth minus one, often abbreviated as two to the thirteenth power or 1/8192), and have chained over 500 shinies so far. I also have caught or hatched 52 shinies myself on the third gen games.

However, I've encountered more than 10,000 catch-able Pokemon in Colo and XD - I've done a lot of resetting. I was asking about how the RNG is programmed. For example, on FR/LG/R/S, each time you save your game you reset the RNG. On Emerald, the RNG is related to time elapsed since starting or SRing the game. Thus, on the previous games, if you do a few hundred resets (for an SR-able shiny, like the Legendaries and starters) and don't find a shiny, you should re-save and then keep resetting. On Emerald, if you do a few hundred resets and don't find a shiny, you should either vary the time before you trigger the Pokemon generation, or re-start the game from the beginning.

Please don't assume that everyone who posts on Serebii is an eight-year-old or doesn't do some research before posting a question. I have studied probability in both college and grad school, and have two post-doctoral degrees (though neither one is in probability, both of my undergrad degrees are in engineering).

I know that you're SPPF staff; please read the question before you post a condescending answer in the future.

Last edited:

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
*headdesks* Bah, my bad. Apologies for that - I probably shouldn't reply to posts when half asleep. Hence the post more on the probabilty as opposed to RNG's... but I certainly wasn't trying to be condescending towards you in any way there. Understand the frustration, but try to keep some steam under your hat.

ANYWAYS... RNG's. Well, knowing Genius Sorinty and their ways of simply reusing the same system of R/S/FR/LG, then Colosseum would have it the same way as Ruby, Sapphire, etc. And as they would have reused the same system for XD again as well... That's only an educated guess though. I can't find any definite answer, sorry.

Again, sorry for my misunderstanding there.