• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official EV's/IV's FAQ and Discussion - Upgraded!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
foxyman1167: if you give a newly hatched Pokemon an exp. share and then battle pokemon which give you def/Sp.def EVs (tentacool, geodude, etc.) the hatched pokemon will gain the same EVs as the one who actually battled.
You can also give it a macho brace (doubles Evs), keep it first in your party, then switch out and battle it with a stronger Pokemon

I prefer using a Pokemon who has maxed EVs for the real battling

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
if in emerald in like the battle dome u put an untrained poke straight from an egg in lvl 50 category wouldnt IV calculation be easier

Last edited:

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
I don't think they actually do in any game. I'm not sure what the real purpose of them is. They don't affect EV's, though.

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
If i have a Ditto with 2 IV's for Special Attack and 3 IV's in Special Defense and breed with a Staryu with 20-21 IV's in Special Attack and 26 IV's in Special Defense, what are the chances of getting better IV's but its nature is Bold, and it was gonna be a Special Sweeper for the Battle Frontier.... how can i change the nature but keep the great IV's.... just keep trying?

also is it a dumb idea to try and get great-perfect IV's in all stats, or just stats that you are EV training in?

Last edited:
i need some help on my crobat is newly hatched with a adamant nature i made it to crobat at lv 30 and i dunno what Ev i should train him attack/hit points/speed/sp.attack/sp.def or def? can anyone giv me a advice?

VTUSH

<---Hatched
i'm confused. I'm trying to lower my grovyll's Hp and defence Evs in ruby and so i try giving it a pomeg berry but it goes 'there's a time and place for everything but not now' so how do i feed it the berry to lower HP evs?

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
i need some help on my crobat is newly hatched with a adamant nature i made it to crobat at lv 30 and i dunno what Ev i should train him attack/hit points/speed/sp.attack/sp.def or def? can anyone giv me a advice?

Go with this set, IMO
Crobat @ Adamant
Inner Focus @ item?
252 Att/252 Spd/6 Def
~Aerial Ace
~Shadow Ball
~Giga Drain/Steel Wing
~Toxic/Sludge Bomb/Poison Fang

With the Adamant nature and the fact that Crobat has a high base Speed, best bet is Physical Sweeper. Aerial Ace/Air Cutter are viable options, Aerial Ace for accuracy, and Air Cutter for critical hits. Shadow Ball is good coverage for Psychic types. Giga Drain or Steel Wing are for Rock types, the difference being that Giga Drain for Water types that might carry Ice attacks, or Steel Wing which is stronger and is super effective against Ice-types. Sludge Bomb is stronger than Poison Fang, but Poison Fang might badly poison, unlike Sludge Bomb.

-GameMaster-

→Symbol Ω Hunter←
I got a team that needs to be EV Trained aswell,
How do you think I should spread their EV's?
Swampert - Brave
Blaziken - Adamant
Sceptile - Modest

Note: I leveled them up by using Rare Candies (I'll get flamed) so their EV's are not wasted.

By the way, some of the Gym Badges affect your Pokemon stats, not all of them though.

P.s
I hope this is the right place to post o_O

Last edited:

santoroyo

s0ulOfchaos..
EV question

Just a question about EV... i have a Alakazam trained in EV for sp.atk and speed already. Currently it is lv 33. i EV trained it from lv10.. (heard that it is kinda too low) I am too lazy to train it anymore and i wan to use this Alakazam for lv50 battles.. so i feel like using rare candies to lvl it from 33 to 50.. At 50, i will try to give it iron,zinc and hp up until max.. is it advisable to use rare candy to up its level till lv50? cos i read those EV stats may not show up everyone during every level up ? And when using rare candy to lvlup the candy ignores EV.. sorry if i am abit too lengthy =x

Last edited:

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
Just a question about EV... i have a Alakazam trained in EV for sp.atk and speed already. Currently it is lv 33. i EV trained it from lv10.. (heard that it is kinda too low)

It makes no difference what level you start EV-training it, just so you know. Its stats will end up the same in the end.

I am too lazy to train it anymore and i wan to use this Alakazam for lv50 battles.. so i feel like using rare candies to lvl it from 33 to 50.. At 50, i will try to give it iron,zinc and hp up until max..

If you've already maxed out your Alakazam's sp.att/speed (ie; given it 252 EV's in those stats) then you won't be able to give it any more vitamins.

A Pokemon can only have 510 EV's in total, with a max of 255 in each stat; meaning that you can only max out two of a Pokemon's stats. But since every 4 EV's equals 1 stat point, you only need to give a Pokemon 252 EV's to max out the stat. Lots of people use an EV-spread of 252/252/4 - maxing out two stats and giving the last remaining 4 (or 6, if you feel like it) to another stat.

is it advisable to use rare candy to up its level till lv50?cos i read those EV stats may not show up everyone during every level up ? And when using rare candy to lvlup the candy ignores EV.. sorry if i am abit too lengthy =x

All a rare candy does is raise your Pokemon a level, it doesn't affect its EV's; meaning it doesn't give or take away any EV's.

You don't always get a huge stat gain when you level-up, it depends on the level of your Pokemon. If say, you caught a Groudon at lv70 and managed to give it all 252 attack EV's in one level, when it levels up to lv71 you'd see quite a big gain in its attack stat.

On the other hand if your Pokemon was only lv5 when you started EV-training it, you couldn't possibly get all 252 EV's after only one level, so its stat gains won't be as big, and will be spread out more evenly as it continues to level up. But by the time it gets to level 100, you'll noticed the difference between it and a non-EV'd Pokemon. So don't worry. ^_^

santoroyo

s0ulOfchaos..
Oh thx alot dude =D. u cleared most of my doubts... But i realised some disadvantages of EV's... those stats which are " left out" are seriously low..
EG: my alakazam which is now lv 50.. has the following stats:
Quirky Nature
HP:128
ATK: 67
DEF:60
SPA:175
SPD:102
SPEED:163.

The hp,def stat is lower by 10 compared to my normal alakazam... ><.

DarkLegend

The Grand Draconian
Not really a bad thing
Alakazam has low HP and DEF anyways
Remember it's a special sweeper
High Speed and Special Attack is all you need

santoroyo

s0ulOfchaos..
hey i jus realised that when i train ev on pokemon who gives evs for more than 1 stat, the end rsult of ev training will nt be as good as training ev on those pokemon which gives only that particular ev stat.. isit true?

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
hey i jus realised that when i train ev on pokemon who gives evs for more than 1 stat, the end rsult of ev training will nt be as good as training ev on those pokemon which gives only that particular ev stat.. isit true?

No it isn't true. It won't make any difference in the long run.

Though I usually prefer to battle Pokemon that only give EV's in one stat; for example, Unown gives you 1 EV in att/sp.att, but since most Pokemon don't need EV's in both attacking stats, it's easier to EV-train against Pokemon that only give EV's in one stat.

santoroyo

s0ulOfchaos..
i see.. thx. haiz as i usually prefer playing lv50 battles in battle frontier, those pokemon i train wun get to use all their evs..

DaMan248

Special Trainer
Macho Brace defect is lowers speed. What speed exactly? EV? or the naturally speed stat increase every level up? (EV training a Rayquaza 'perfectly')

Status
Not open for further replies.