• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official EV's/IV's FAQ and Discussion - Upgraded!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
Macho Brace defect is lowers speed. What speed exactly? EV? or the naturally speed stat increase every level up? (EV training a Rayquaza 'perfectly')

It just means that your Pokemon's speed is slightly lowered in battle while it's holding the macho brace; as though something had used a speed-lowering attack (string shot, for example) on it.

It doesn't lower your EV's, infact that's the whole point of using the macho brace, to gain the extra EV's in battle (for example; while holding the mach brace, Wurmple will give you 2 HP EV's, Linoone will give you 4 Speed EV's, ect)

Ushio

I looked up Skarmory on Smogon, and it recommends putting Defense EVs for the "Old Standard." It already has a high Defense, lots of resistances, but his Special Defense isn't as high. Plus, Fire and Electric are the only types that it's weak against, and they're both Special Attack types. So why not add some Sp. Defense EVs as well?

I looked up Skarmory on Smogon, and it recommends putting Defense EVs for the "Old Standard." It already has a high Defense, lots of resistances, but his Special Defense isn't as high. Plus, Fire and Electric are the only types that it's weak against, and they're both Special Attack types. So why not add some Sp. Defense EVs as well?

Don't use Smogon for in-game EVs and movesets. Smogon was made for competitive battling purposes, for use on battle simulators, not for in-game use. You're absolutely right about its defense being high enough already. In-game, just max out Skarmory's Attack EVs, and mix the rest into HP, Sp.Defense, or Speed, whatever you care about the most.

Competitively, max Defense is recommended so that Skarmory can switch into a physical hit and take minimal damage from it, or perhaps no damage if it's recovered from Leftovers.

decipharr

Alright, this is my first time reading this, and I've read the passage of the IV's over and over. But, how do you put IVs on your Pokemon's stats? Do you have to train it a special way like the Evs?

Slowking[George]

#SPP-WiFi HOP
No, IVs are PRESET values on your pokemon. You cannot change them/influence them in any way, they are just there. To find out what they are use an IV calculator, like the one on serebii.net.

FastTonyDeNiro

Hey guys I'm new to EV training but I'm just about done in-game and want to EV train a team for the Battle Frontier in Emerald. I had a question for someone who knows a lot about this.

Say for example I am training a Golem. According to pokemon dungeon it's max speed rating at level 100 is 188. So if I battle Zubat's over and over which give you 1 EV in speed, by level 100 can my Golem have more than 188 in it's speed rating? Like say I put 252 EV's into speed, is it possible to have a "fast" Golem? Or will it cut off at 188?

wichu

You can't go over a Pokémon's max stats. Golem's base Speed is 45. Without any EVs, its max Speed at level 100 will be: 45(base)*2+31(IVs)+5=126. However, giving it EVs will increase that by up to 63 extra points, to 189. You can't gain any more than that through EVs. If your Golem has a Speed-increasing nature, it can have 10% more Speed (rounded down) - 189+18=207.

In short, no, you can't go over the max stat. By the way, if you're wondering why the max stat I gave you is different, it's because your one appears to be its G/S/C max stat. In G/S/C, you could only gain 30 points through IVs, and you couldn't increase it with natures.

FastTonyDeNiro

Damn I was really hoping for a Golem with like a 300 speed stat haha.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll have more questions for you guys in here at some point but I still have to beat the Elite 4 before I can even start.

FastTonyDeNiro

Damn I was really hoping for a Golem with like a 300 speed stat haha.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll have more questions for you guys in here at some point but I still have to beat the Elite 4 before I can even start.

FastTonyDeNiro

Sorry for the double post but it's been a week since my last post and I want to make sure this shows up as a new post. Feel free to merge the two if you must.

I think I made a mistake raising my Swampert. It's a female, and I used the ice beam TM on it before I fought the Elite 4 to counter the dragon-types. I just realized when you breed, any TM moves are passed down from the father, not the mother. So with my Swampert being female, the baby Mudkip won't learn ice beam, am I correct?

If so, is there any other way for the Mudkip to learn ice beam? Or am I out of luck?

FastTonyDeNiro

Buy another Ice Beam TM from the Game Corner.

Oh durr thanks haha I didn't realize you could buy ice beam at the game corner.

I now have a level 5 Mudkip with a sassy nature, with mirror coat bred into it and just waiting to learn ice beam. Don't know the IVs on it yet though.

About IVs....when you breed pokemon, 3 random IVs are taken from the parents and passed onto the offspring, right? So you want to breed pokemon with the best IVs you can? So something with a 31 in Sp. Def. for example would be a good idea to breed for a Mudkip with a Sassy nature?

roskre

I just bred my Magikarp and I got a wonderful outstanding ability:
Magikarp (Adamant)
HP: 30 - 31
Att: 30 - 31
Def: 25 - 29
SpA: 5 - 9
SpD: 25 - 29
Speed: 30 - 31

Didn't care for the SpA anyways. Flawless HP/Att/Speed.

pieman556

1525 Eggs!!
when I'm keeping track of my EV's should I put a tally mark once I battle a Zubat, or should I put one, when I defeat 4 zubats? (Without Macho Brace or Pokerus)

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
when I'm keeping track of my EV's should I put a tally mark once I battle a Zubat, or should I put one, when I defeat 4 zubats? (Without Macho Brace or Pokerus)

It doesn't really matter. Either way, whether you count every Zubat or every 4 Zubat's, as long as you battle enough for what you want, and count the same way everytime, it will end out the same. I recommend counting every 1, so that way you don't make any mistakes.

About IVs....when you breed pokemon, 3 random IVs are taken from the parents and passed onto the offspring, right? So you want to breed pokemon with the best IVs you can? So something with a 31 in Sp. Def. for example would be a good idea to breed for a Mudkip with a Sassy nature?

Yes, that would be a good idea. Just remember that its not 3 from each parent but 3 in total.

Last edited:
Okay, so I want to make sure I am EV training my pokemon in the right stats. I want to beat the battle frontier in Emerald, as it has been kicking my weeny little butt. :p
Naughty Torchic in Atk and Speed, for a fastish physical sweeper, or Atk and S. Atk, for a slower dual-sweeper?
Adamant Absol in Atk and Speed(pretty sure this is a good idea. Absol is pretty slow otherwise, and it can't take hits, so I want her to hit before the enemy.)
Modest Treeko and S. Atk and Speed-both are good stats for Treeko, so I figure this works
Impish Mudkip in Hp and Def, so I can have a tankish pokemon.

Opinions?

wichu

Yeah, that would work. Torchic should have Speed, not Special Attack, though.
As long as you have good movesets, you should be fine. Also, I see you like Hoenn starters :p

clanky4

I am assuming this is the place to ask this question.
Let's say that I have a shedinja (which I do) and I got it all of it's remaining EV points in two levels. It only increased 6 in special attack at each level up. But now it is only gaining 1 special attack each time it levels up. So I was wondering; Do the EV points only count towards the current level you are working on or do they carry over? In other words will my shedinja be doomed to only getting 1 special attack each level? (It is at level 41)

foxyman1167

From Zero To Hero
I am assuming this is the place to ask this question.
Let's say that I have a shedinja (which I do) and I got it all of it's remaining EV points in two levels. It only increased 6 in special attack at each level up. But now it is only gaining 1 special attack each time it levels up. So I was wondering; Do the EV points only count towards the current level you are working on or do they carry over? In other words will my shedinja be doomed to only getting 1 special attack each level? (It is at level 41)

Your Shedinja's Special Attack will increase more and more as you level up, because you see, when you EV train a pokemon, the stat increases are spaced out. As you reach higher levels, you may notice +5 and such, around the level 80's.

Status
Not open for further replies.