• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Favorite "Series" Thread 2.0

Which is your favorite "series"?

• Gen I - Kanto/OI

Votes: 50 22.6%
  • Gen II - Johto

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • Gen III - Hoenn/BF

Votes: 40 18.1%
  • Gen IV - Sinnoh

Votes: 101 45.7%
  • Gen V - Unova/Ep N/DA!

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • A specific sub-series within the above.

Votes: 11 5.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I can't judge XY yet. It feels like, "AG-lite" so far.

Serena needs to actually do something than crush on Ash before she even compares to past female companions.

Benny™

Best Wishes Do Come True Under The Sun & Moon
He wasn't denying the fact that pikachu gets reset every region, but the severity of the drop-off was what he was getting on. Even with pikachu's electric attacks out of commission thanks to zekrom, a quick attack-iron tail combo should've at least tied against a trainer's beginner snivy.

I still think the OI > Johto transition was worse.

"Chimchar wasn't really compatible with Paul's training style, with Ash its a perfect fit. Simple as that. Just as some Pokemon have compatibility issues, there can be the same issues between Pokemon and trainers. And Chimchar's evolution is a great example of that. Its not a matter of right or wrong."

Its mostly just Ash being treated with more respect, using more strategy in battles, etc.

But the continuity still felt better back then. Ash didn't bank his stronger Pokemon like he does now, and the continued development with Charizard after the Orange League made it feel like he was growing up too.

Plus, Gary had been ahead of Ash since the beginning of the show, and they always made note of his skill in training Pokemon. Him winning isn't as jarring as it is for someone like Trip, who had just begun his journey on the start of Ash's 5th.

Compatibility doesn't excuse any of his actions throughout the show. Damien's other Pokemon were probably compatible with his style, but that does not change how he treated his Pokemon.

I can see the being treated with respect part, but Ash used strategy in BW as well, like in the 7th gym battle.

What has banking your stronger Pokemon have to do with continuity from a story stand point?

That's true, but Ash's Pikachu still beat a near-legendary, only to lose to Gary's Evoli (Eevee). And let's not forget, in Johto, he struggled with some COTD's Voltilamm (Mareep).

There was only one occasion where Paul acted even remotely like Damien and not only was everyone fully against him for it, but he ended up giving Ash the Pokemon that would eventually go on to end Paul's hopes for the Sinnoh League.

My point is that his training method isn't right like the episodes want you to believe. Everyone was against him, yet they did little about it.

Last edited:

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Compatibility doesn't excuse any of his actions throughout the show. Damien's other Pokemon were probably compatible with his style, but that does not change how he treated his Pokemon.
His actions weren't totally excused, since Ash still fought to try and prove his own point. Its just that he could learn to respect and understand him anyway.

What has banking your stronger Pokemon have to do with continuity from a story stand point?
His old Pokemon still had growth and battles on the team after Gen 1 was over, so it felt more like a continuation of Kanto/Orange League events. Hoenn, Sinnoh, etc. give him whole new teams with different stories.

That's true, but Ash's Pikachu still beat a near-legendary, only to lose to Gary's Evoli (Eevee). And let's not forget, in Johto, he struggled with some COTD's Voltilamm (Mareep).
Pikachu didn't win that alone tho. Squirtle, Tauros and Charizard fought/damaged Dragonite too.

He wasn't denying the fact that pikachu gets reset every region, but the severity of the drop-off was what he was getting on.
Also this. Ash & his Pokemon had even more hype than before in Sinnoh, so the reset becomes that much more glaring/apparent.

Last edited:

Benny™

His actions weren't totally excused, since Ash still fought to try and prove his own point. Its just that he could learn to respect and understand him anyway.

Ash fought hard to prove his point, but the rest of the characters kinda just stood there. Let's make a comparison.

In Ep011, everyone was angry at Damien when they found out what he did. Rocko (Brock) even wanted to fight him!
In the Tag Battle 3 parter, Rocko doesn't show most of that anger like he did with Damien, he just has a talk with him.
I hope I've made my point now.

Pikachu didn't win that alone tho. Squirtle, Tauros and Charizard fought/damaged Dragonite too.

True, but Pikachu still did most of the work. Also, I don't think Gary could have took it on with his Evoli (Eevee).

Also this. Ash & his Pokemon had even more hype than before in Sinnoh, so the reset becomes that much more glaring/apparent.

What about when he beat the Battle Frontier?

Last edited:

chalkus

For me it's Sinnoh all the way. It had the best pokemon battles, best contest battles, best rival, best contest rivals, best villains, best Pokemon team, best gym leaders, best league champion and the best female lead who, at times, even overshadowed Ash. The anime should have kept this formula moving ahead instead of changing things up in BW.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
True, but Pikachu still did most of the work. Also, I don't think Gary could have took it on with his Evoli (Eevee).
Charizard and Tauros defo did most of the hard hitting. Pikachu delivered the final blow. Ash couldn't have taken that Dragonite on with his strongest Pokemon in Charizard so of course Gary's Eevee wouldn't beat it either.

HoundoomFan

shy shipper
OS defiantly. Liked Ash most back then, since he seemed more real and has more of a character than later on, Jessie, James, Meowth, & Brock had more personality & sympathy than later on(& even now with TR more serious), had more touching & funny moments & the fillers don't feel like such a drag like they do later on. The problems with it is that it had a lot of fillers like with all the series, Misty (I'm sorry but how she was so self-centered & bossy really irked me, also she really didn't do anything for the most part but critize Ash and get angry), how Ash didn't really earn like half of his badges, and AJ wasn't shown in the Pokemon League >C

Benny™

Charizard and Tauros defo did most of the hard hitting. Pikachu delivered the final blow. Ash couldn't have taken that Dragonite on with his strongest Pokemon in Charizard so of course Gary's Eevee wouldn't beat it either.

I'll give you that, but how do you explain him losing to various characters of the day he should be able to beat?

I'll give you that, but how do you explain him losing to various characters of the day he should be able to beat?

Personally, I always take COtD trainers with a grain of salt. For the most part, they're just plot device that take up x-amount of time during fillers and whatnot. I mean recently in XY, he lost against dax, premiere, and sanpai; the fights weren't the overarching plot of each episode though.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
For me it's Sinnoh all the way. It had the best pokemon battles, best contest battles, best rival, best contest rivals, best villains, best Pokemon team, best gym leaders, best league champion and the best female lead who, at times, even overshadowed Ash. The anime should have kept this formula moving ahead instead of changing things up in BW.

Best contest rivals? Kenny was one of the worst recurring rivals in the history of the entire series. And Nando just appeared too little to really count as much more than a "league" type rival. Zoey might have been interesting if the writers didn't make her into a Mary-sue god mode trainer by the end of the saga.

chalkus

Best contest rivals? Kenny was one of the worst recurring rivals in the history of the entire series. And Nando just appeared too little to really count as much more than a "league" type rival. Zoey might have been interesting if the writers didn't make her into a Mary-sue god mode trainer by the end of the saga.

Yeah, Kenny sucked, but Nando, Zoey and Ursula were all really strong trainers. Forget just looking at them as contest battles, Dawn vs Ursula 2 & 3, Nando vs Zoey and Dawn vs Zoey were some of the best pokemon battles in the show's history. I just couldn't take the AG rivals seriously. Drew was egotistical and thought he was way better than he was, Harley was a cowardly villain whose schemes could be seen miles away, and you want to talk about God trainers. What was Soledad? She might as well have descended from heaven the way she was toward the end.

pokemon fan 132

OS defiantly. Liked Ash most back then, since he seemed more real and has more of a character than later on, Jessie, James, Meowth, & Brock had more personality & sympathy than later on(& even now with TR more serious), had more touching & funny moments & the fillers don't feel like such a drag like they do later on. The problems with it is that it had a lot of fillers like with all the series, Misty (I'm sorry but how she was so self-centered & bossy really irked me, also she really didn't do anything for the most part but critize Ash and get angry), how Ash didn't really earn like half of his badges, and AJ wasn't shown in the Pokemon League >C

I agreed, those are some of reasons i really liked Original eries the best too.

I liked how there was more comedy,passion and originality pit in pokemon story treating itn like anbime which doesmnpt stagnae but further things forward. I enjoyed more in character interaction,anime sticked less with games having unpredictable anime exclusive plots not adding so many game elements like later sagas did.
Group of Ash,Misty and Brock played out very well having good dynamic and worth of gold(in my opinion) interaction.Battles were good though not to same level like they were later on (understandable considering animation and writing has changed) and i liked in this anime early days how there was more Japanese culture added into this anime with anime having that feeliong of pokemon(magic) it started losing later on.

About Misty i don't think she was selfcentered and selfish though. Maybe abrasive and rough in her exterior, but that was mostly because of negative experiences in her childhood. She and older siblings were abandoned by parents at very young age. Misty was constantly bellitled and degraded by others around her, especially her sisters like she is "useless runt which has no qualities". Someone who is "uglier, less skilled in battling, elegant and successful than they are". Being often understimated and questioned about her talent, skills in battling or resolving various dangerous situations by others.

This left negative infliuence on Misty character feeling need to build tough, robust exterior front to hide her scared, insecure side of character. Not wanting to show dependance on others or that she needs anyone help growing up fastl Because of having to learn how to take care of herself and be selfreliant.
But with time after growing attached to Ash and Brock gaining more faith in them, she started to gradually open sharing her fears and dreams with Ash and Brock. Became more compassionate and understanding for her friends often supporting Ash, helping him to get out of his depression streak and through criticism and questioning of his ego helped him to become stronger person and trainer. Which Ash started to appreciate. Helped Brock about his love problems, comforted him aboiut being rejected by other girls or leaving pokemon behind like Vulpix. Taking care of him when he was sick,when Ash and Tracey got poisoned.Etc.

Or understanding others like Sakura knowing hows to like to live in shadow of your older siblings.
Maturing and becoming more confident over time gaining faith in her qualities as person and becoming highly attached to her friends, Being very upset in having to leave them by end of Johto developing in more patient, responsible and independent person.

Yes she can be abrasive, hotheaded and sometime rude but thats part of her personality being strongwilled person which is tough and dont let others to put her down, outspoken not being afraid to act when its needed and competitive, selfsufficient encouraging others to do same dealing with problems rather than curling up in corner and selfpity themselves(which imo is positive side to her).But she is also very loyal, caring and imo unselfish as person being very good friend.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Yeah, Kenny sucked, but Nando, Zoey and Ursula were all really strong trainers. Forget just looking at them as contest battles, Dawn vs Ursula 2 & 3, Nando vs Zoey and Dawn vs Zoey were some of the best pokemon battles in the show's history. I just couldn't take the AG rivals seriously. Drew was egotistical and thought he was way better than he was, Harley was a cowardly villain whose schemes could be seen miles away, and you want to talk about God trainers. What was Soledad? She might as well have descended from heaven the way she was toward the end.

Harley was just one of the most memorable rivals of the entire series as well as the funniest. The fact that he could double as a villain made him more entertaining. Lastly the May/Drew rivalry was just handled better than the Dawn/Zoey one. Zoey starts off as a mentor for Dawn but then she just does nothing much for the rest of the saga but tell Ash and Dawn what to do and then she just becomes godly by the end. I think its especially notable the only time we see Zoey beaten on-screen is by May in the Wallace Cup. At least Zoey seemed, "normal" in early DP and May beating her made sense, but as DP progressed the writers turned her into a god-mode trainer for no reason.

I won't deny the Contest battles got a lot better in DP and you're right that Zoey Vs. Nando is probably the best Contest battle of the entire series, but character wise they were very flat. That's why Nando barely appeared in DP at all, after his first 3 episodes he completely disappears for the next 100 episodes until the leagues. I will give you Ursula though, she wasn't much more than Harley as a little girl, but I guess that's why she was the most memorable of Dawn's rivals.

Benny™

Personally, I always take COtD trainers with a grain of salt. For the most part, they're just plot device that take up x-amount of time during fillers and whatnot. I mean recently in XY, he lost against dax, premiere, and sanpai; the fights weren't the overarching plot of each episode though.

That really doesn't excuse them, though. No one did for BW.

And even not including COTD, he lost to Misty in Johto even though he really should have won.

Last edited:

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
wow what is this for a forum that hates on gen IV a lot we finally get sinnoh winning at something :) it's nice to see that as I absolutely loved fourth generation and everything about it. I'm gonna assume it's because he was the closest to winning a league to this day.

chalkus

wow what is this for a forum that hates on gen IV a lot we finally get sinnoh winning at something :) it's nice to see that as I absolutely loved fourth generation and everything about it. I'm gonna assume it's because he was the closest to winning a league to this day.
I'm surprised by that too. I guess now that BW has ended people are focusing their hatred on that instead.

@CyberCubed: How could you take Harley seriously. He was a grown man in his twenties who dressed up as pokemon and also crossdressed as a 10 year old girl. He was also so petty, hating on a 10 year old because she didn't know much about his pokemon. He was too absurd to be believable. Ursula was a much better antagonist because she never tried nor wanted to be Dawn's friend. She wouldn't even admit Dawn was better. Harley did everything he could to ingratiate himself to May just like the coward he is.

Zoey did not often lose onscreen. She lost to both May and Fantina. But we know she also lost a bunch of contests off screen so she wasn't portrayed as being all powerful. And if you want to talk about godlike Mary Sues, what about Solidad? She came in knowing everybody, she was friends with everybody, and then went on to lay a beat down on May before claiming the championship. Can't get any more Mary Sue than that.

Maybe it's because Ash actually won the Orange Islands in the OS and the Battle Frontier in the AG, and only improved 1 rank during the Sinnoh League getting owned in a pathetic 6 vs. 2 battle where Ash was demolished by Tobias that has some of us not singing the hymns and praises of Gen IV's Anime, among a host of other things that happened to Brock and Team Rocket during that time period. Believe me, you guys aren't alone in loving DP, though: go to Bulbagarden-- you'll feel right at home there, and if not, there are several other DP Anime fans I can introduce you to here.

Gen V's League is by far the worst, though, no doubt: I'm not going to deny that.

Last edited:

DedicatedFan

I'm surprised by that too. I guess now that BW has ended people are focusing their hatred on that instead.

@CyberCubed: How could you take Harley seriously. He was a grown man in his twenties who dressed up as pokemon and also crossdressed as a 10 year old girl. He was also so petty, hating on a 10 year old because she didn't know much about his pokemon. He was too absurd to be believable. Ursula was a much better antagonist because she never tried nor wanted to be Dawn's friend. She wouldn't even admit Dawn was better. Harley did everything he could to ingratiate himself to May just like the coward he is.

Zoey did not often lose onscreen. She lost to both May and Fantina. But we know she also lost a bunch of contests off screen so she wasn't portrayed as being all powerful. And if you want to talk about godlike Mary Sues, what about Solidad? She came in knowing everybody, she was friends with everybody, and then went on to lay a beat down on May before claiming the championship. Can't get any more Mary Sue than that.

I couldn't agree with you more about Harley. Why was he in the anime? He's way to creepy.

I couldn't agree with you more about Harley. Why was he in the anime he's way to creepy.

I thought he was very funny, but yeah, he was definitely creepy.

Status
Not open for further replies.