• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Favorite Series Thread

Which series do you like more?

• Kanto

Votes: 43 29.5%
  • Orange Islands

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Johto

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 32 21.9%
  • Sinnoh

Votes: 34 23.3%
  • Unova/BW

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnbelievableUrsula

Cute and Creepy!
Galactic Battles and Advanced challenged are my favorites.

Bluelatios*

Well, I'm definitely going to go with season 1 for several reasons. Such as how well the original character trio came together and enjoyed much interaction and daring adventures. In my opinion, the key to a good story is good characters and they certainly pulled it off well.

Another reason is how well they balanced action and comedy. Throughout the season, the battles usually aren't too focused on, yet there are plenty of other chaotic events that are as humorous as they are exciting. This also ties in with the characters in a sense that they intertwined the humor into the characters personalities in addition to giving them great lines. I suppose that having been given good characters and amazing dialogue is what compels me to support the original voice cast.

But possibly the best reason is the virtues in the anime back then. There was always a huge focus on friendship, following dreams and adventures, helping one another in a difficult situation, and caring for other Pokemon and people, exploring and appreciating the world together. Not to say that's entirely gone today, but it still feels greatly overshadowed by the battling, rivalries, stereotypical villians, etc. I don't think TPC knows hardly at all what they are doing with their characters or dialogue either. The times have changed; Pokemon doesn't feel like it has much of a soul anymore. It doesn't feel passionately crafted to carve its own niche in the television industry today. I'm not going to call it horrible, but I feel that it should be something more and someday live up to the standards set in earlier seasons.

*Sighs* no one likes Hoenn but me?? Really??

I haven't finished Houen. Satoshi just got his 4th badge. But until now... I really can't think of a reason not to say this hasn't been the best league ever in the anime. (I didn't watch DP or BW yet)

In fact I'm really confuse with the whole 'original was the best' statements. The pacing of the original made me quit the anime when I was younger. The pacing of AG made me start watching it again recently.
I skip filler episodes (by filler I mean episodes that add virtually nothing to the overall plot/character development/team) and this is why I will never agree with the original lovers:

KANTO:
-Satoshi wins 6 out of 8 badges without finishing a battle.
-Kasumi: Constantly fought with Satoshi. Like the main post's example says she had virtually no development, not ever since she got Togepi. Except for her farewell and the 2-part Advanced Generations episode. She also had no goal at all. Unless you count the 'trainer beauty' talk she would pull off to justify battling someone once in a while and stalking Satoshi to get her bike back as goals.
-Skipping the fillers there were less than 10 pokemon battles (not counting sending rokketto-dan to the skies in 1 move or fighting their mechas) before the championship. Everything else has been pure randomness. Gyms included.
-Silph Co. doesn't even gets a mention.
-The Satoshi clone (Forgot his name) was a terrible excuse for a rival in my opinion. But I don't know how to explain what I didn't like about him. Probably because I felt like they tried to hard to make him friendly and kind just to push the idea of him becoming a great friend of Satoshi in few episodes. I for one was glad he was never seen again. (Up to where I watched)

+The Pokemon League itself was nice. The opening ceremony up to Satoshi's defeat made it very exciting. Back when I watched when I was younger I remember people were almost as excited about it as the World Cup.
+A lot of places/events based on the game weren't ignored. I know the anime and the game have their own plots but I like to see them sticking to the refferences since it's still the same world.
+Rokketto-dan was given some importance, even though it was quickly dropped.
+The final episodes were very well done. I doubt AG will do better, honestly.

ORANGE LEAGUE:

-Gyms basically consisted on 'minigames'.
-Kenji is... well I don't know how to put this either. But I guess since he didn't last long as Takeshi's replacement I wasn't the only one who didn't like him. Kenji had a few moments where he showed us he wasn't just a 'robot' who could make sandwiches and draw Pokemon. But oftentimes I asked myself why he was still following the team.
-Even if this part is short, half the orange league is made of fillers. It becomes surprisingly short when you skip them.
-Because the champion was a nobody that looked like a Wataru-wannabe Satoshi's victory felt a little empty. But I admit I might be exhagerating here.
-Even less battles than Kanto. Until I wrote this I was asking myself if that was even possible, but it is. I mean, it was.

+It was good to see Kenji wasn't just a Takeshi replacement until the end. He stickied in the series as Ookido's assistant and his goal became clear near the end. He's became even more bland than before since then, but I don't think his current role demands much of it anyway.
+Even if the gyms were lackluster the final battle was great. Kairyuu going against Rizadon was predictable but it wasn't bad at all. Altogether it's one of the most memorable battles.
+It was good seeing Satoshi win his first big victory. Even if by the time Joutou started it could be taken as an empty one.

JOUTO:
-I think everyone knows this. But this has arguably the worst pacing in the series history. If I remember well, more than half of Joutou's episodes are fillers. And most of the non-fillers are simply fillers with an evolution or new move tackled in to save it from the filler status.
-Kasumi loses all the little character development she had from the Kanto days. And to make things worse, Takeshi too becomes stale.
-I like Rokketo-Dan but Joutou has got to be the greatest overdose of Rokketto-Dan attacks in the entire series. Often there would be non-filler episodes with 3 attacks. Plus the writers were clearly trying to make them more of serious villains oftentimes, even though they work best as comic-relief. This contributed to making the Joutou's pacing worse.
-I found this very strange, but Joutou also happens to be (again, up to where I've watched) the season that deviated from the game, as far as important areas go, the most. I don't mind that they take a different approach in the anime, but ignoring or giving so little atention to certain little plots/areas from the game was inexcusable since Kanto (and AG) didn't deviate that much.
-Shigeru never used his Burekki against Satoshi. (Don't spoil to me in case he gets to use it latter in the series)

+Rokketto-dan was once again given some significant importance in two story arcs.
+This is when they finally start to give more focus to pokemon battles. I wasn't able to count the number of battles before the League this time! And the animation for some of the battles were great.
+I'm sorry that this doesn't contributes to anything but: I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE SHIGERU'S BUREKKI!
+Shigeru stops being a typical jerk of every cartoon show and shows he's actually maturing. Unfortunately if you only watch the 4kids version you may have a hard time realising this, since they believed for whatever reason that changing the dialogues so Gary could keep being the arrogant jerk from Kanto up til the last Joutou episodes would be better than letting him have his share of character development.
+Yogirasu turned out to be very cute. And I didn't mind that he took so many episodes for his story arc.

HOUEN:
(Note: I didn't finish the Houen league yet. Satoshi just obtained his fourth badge.)

-Masato. I don't dislike the character but one can't just ignore the fact he's sort of... he's sort of just there. He joined as the navigator but oftentimes the team leaves the navigation job to Takeshi. (Funny how that seems to always lead them to the wrong/longer road too...)
-The Muro Island episodes were very tiring. And I'm talking about the non-filler ones. (Although ONE particular Muro Isle episode was very funny)
-Satoshi somewhat seems to forget basic things he learned in the past. (I know this is a trend he will keep in future seasons)

+Even though they pretty much ditched Rokketto-Dan and ignored Silph Co. in the past, they went as far as including Magma/Aqua Dan and the Devon Corporation in the anime.
+Even if it feels like an afterthough, they come up with Nyasu's fantasies to explain why Rokketto-Dan will go after random pokemon that are featured in each episode. I picked this as a con because it adds nicely to the humor. Specially with Rokketto-Dan going back to the comic-relief seat in Houen. You know none of Nyasu's fantasies make sense but that's precisely the point.
+Masato. Why I'm including him as both con and pro? Because even if he's 'just there' as I said, he breaks the trend of the 3-man team. And I personally though it was nice to have an even younger character in the team to see things differently. He's not stealing anyone's spot (unlike Kenji tried to) either.
+Takeshi gets some active roles in certain episodes. This hasn't been done since the end of Kanto.
+Haruka. Well, I admit I'm a bit biased towards Haruka. But I'm gonna explain why:
First, I fell in love with her when she pretty much served Kasumi at her first episode. (If you don't remember/know: Satoshi accidently crisps her bike, but unlike Kasumi, Haruka gives up on scolding him about it as soon as she sees him taking care of Pikachu. And this is where she showed to be more mature and less picky than Kasumi) Second, she actually has a goal that is relevant to the watchers. And we see her actively battle for it during the entire series. (Kanto/Orange/Jouto=Series; AG/Battle Frontier=Another series) Third, she doesn't behaves like a tomboy, nor does she picks fight with Satoshi every 3 episodes. She doesn't acts like a know-it-all either. In fact we see she's a newbie and she knows it. But we also see her growing better as a coordinator, and gaining more confidence. And you know what that means right? ->Character development.
+There is absolutely no reason to complain about lack of battles. But I guess that's irrelevant by now.
+A lot of areas are featured in the anime. Even those roads from the game. And I guess that must be why they make sure to exhibit Satoshi-tachi's path in the map during the title introduction. Which makes the geography/environment less incosistant than back on the Jouto/Kanto days.
+A lot less fillers than Jouto and Kanto. (There are still some semifillers though)
+More subplots/characters from the game are featured in this series. And I'm not bringing Magma/Aqua/Devon up again. More often so than Kanto did with Red/Blue.
+While I won't lie there are some plots that feel like repeatition of certain past series' episodes, the episodes all in all had a little more variance. You didn't get a bunch of episodes in a row that was basically about Satoshi-tachi finding a stray pokemon and a random person turns out to be desperately looking/hunting/trying to catch it. I really can't see it differently: The writing has definately improved in Advanced Generation. The humour scenes included.

Last edited:

pokemon fan 132

KANTO:
-Satoshi wins 6 out of 8 badges without finishing a battle.

Actually Ash defeated Koga, Blain and lt. Surge(in rematch) and TR pokemon(Kingler, Rhydon and Machamp) in Viridian city so it was more that four badges were won properly and other four through alternative ways.

-Kasumi: Constantly fought with Satoshi. Like the main post's example says she had virtually no development, not ever since she got Togepi. Except for her farewell and the 2-part Advanced Generations episode. She also had no goal at all. Unless you count the 'trainer beauty' talk she would pull off to justify battling someone once in a while and stalking Satoshi to get her bike back as goals.

Except she became more confident and secure in her abilities as person, learned how to be more patient and became more self critic. In start she always wanted to prove being right to Ash arguing over it, with time being willing to acknowledge her own flaws and accept responsibility behind her actions. Which can be noticed in way she bond with Poliwhirl or Staryu in Johto blaming herself for forcing them too much, or when blaming herself for Gyarados going on rampage in chronicles not being sure if she is cut out for this task for example. She also became more playful and out going which can be noticed in hosos and Hoenn cameos having to grow up fast due to obligations she was given.

Got over complex of feeling less worthy which was forced on her by older sisters, became more opened to Ash and Brock starting to open herself as person and grew as trainer becoming better trainer with coming top 8 in Whirl Cup, winning Seaking contest and Alto mare race, bonding with water types like Marill, Poliwhirl, Horsea etc reflecting her improvement.
If that isn't development, i don't know what is it?

She had goal too, it was to become water pokemon master.

JOUTO:
-I think everyone knows this. But this has arguably the worst pacing in the series history. If I remember well, more than half of Joutou's episodes are fillers. And most of the non-fillers are simply fillers with an evolution or new move tackled in to save it from the filler status.

Im pretty sure Sinnoh had just as bad pacing with story being stretched out for four full years. Which resulted in rushed DP league, dragged out contest arc,along with too many episodes being wasted on pokemon training which was more negative than positive thing.

-Kasumi loses all the little character development she had from the Kanto days. And to make things worse, Takeshi too becomes stale.

Not true at all.
She received her own arc Whirl Cup, making steps forward to her goal of becoming water master, battling more frequent compared to Kanto. Whether it was against trainers like Sumomo,Harrison, with Poliwrath or assisting Ash in battling TR. She got some cool pokemon like Poliwhirl ending as her most reliable partner, or Corsola which added diversity to her team being half rock and proving to be one tough cookie hiding big power inside itself.

She also started to grow as person becoming more level headed and independent not needing to rely on Ash or Brock so much anymore, more self confident getting over complex of feeling less worthy compared to sisters, learned how to apply new strategy and develop skills as trainer still bringing comedy, fun interaction and conflict in main cast having her self doubts and problems making you feel that character is actually going somewhere.

Brock had several memorable moments where he could dusplay skills as beeder, like when taking care of young Stantler, learning how to prepare new potions in "Old Man Schukle" ,entered breeder convention meeting up with Suzy and returning Vulpix back to its original owner, got some cool pokemon like Pineco, as well his Zubat evolving all the way to Crobat. Brock didnt got a lot, but it ewas a hell lot more than he received in Kanto.

As for Hoenn i will agree how introduction of contests was nice and fresh thing to include in anime with May rivals being some of best we ever had(like Harley). I liked Ash maturity starting to take on mentors role to May and it was nice seeing group pokemon receive more screen time.
Brock got some nice focus there as well. He interacted well with May and Max, got his own starter, some really cool and funny pokemon like Ludicolo and had several noteworthy accomplishments. Like learning how to prepare different kind of food like pokeblocks, fighting TR with Steelix in gym,battling may in contest, starting to be interested in doctor calling, helped in solving several crisis like whole trouble with Spinda or Shiftry displaying his experience and knowledge as breeder etc.

Though lack of rivals for Ash, Max which seemed at times pointless, lack of comedy , villains being treated horribly(like Team Aqua and Magma) and some of May fluke wins in contests lacking believable development later down the road were series down point.

Last edited:
I did say I didn't get to the DP series yet.

And you're right. I forgot about Matis.
I don't count the victory against Takeshi as a real victory though.

Last edited:

RealRaymon

Good series at last!
The OS are the best. I enjoyed watching them back then, it brings me good memories, it`s classic...Ash`s original team... then butterfree left, primeape, pidgeot, charizard, squirtle and bulbasaur(I know that he used them but it was never the same)
johto series were not good for me(except the silver conference championship)

Liked Hoenn because of May, really)
Sinnoh were too long and I didn`t like seein Darkrai and Latios in battle
Black and white ruined all...no Brock, others...new attacks(for example pikachu`s quick attack, iron tail and thunderbolt look awful)
and I am sure(unfortunately)that ash won`t recall his old pokemon in championship

So...OS and AG

Black and white ruined all...no Brock, others...new attacks(for example pikachu`s quick attack, iron tail and thunderbolt look awful)

Let me guess, they look awful to you because they don't glow white and end in an explosion anymore?

RealRaymon

Good series at last!
Let me guess, they look awful to you because they don't glow white and end in an explosion anymore?
Yes, because it looks like steel, and when tail glowed white it was better
and Quick attack before was better. Pikachu used it not by not moving and then suddenly moving very fast
and now Thunderbolt looks worse then it was before

before:
http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy146/TheAwesomePikachu/Pikachu Pwns All/040.jpg
now:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-neXfHJw_8...PfqfWZw/s1600/800px-Ash_Pikachu_Iron_Tail.png

before:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...N1nhFP-mSXT8R4OBaU6ZQLX8eIDgBuFlPIVG4N-QdisUA
now:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-J93-r9irc...kE9tY/s1600/800px-Ash_Pikachu_Thunderbolt.png
I don`t like the effect

Besides the whole "it started everything" I don't find Kanto all that great.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
My favorite saga so far is Pokemon Best Wishes and Pokemon Advanced Generation.
BW:
- No Brock
-Better handeled characters and TRio
-Funny and unique plots and storylines. You never know what would happen in BW
-Funny and sweet interactions between the BW Trio. It's no longer Ash and the new main girl having a cool relationship while Brock gets ignored
- The animation's better
- Team Rocket are getting a bigger role in the anime unlike them bring the punchbag and clown of the show
- So many other awesome reasons :)

LadyTriox

I have a boyfriend now; I am his princess❤️
I think I like Best Wishes best now. :D The new characters are really entertaining to me. XD

Even if i'll never get to see Team Plasma :)

Iris and Cilan...lol, that Cilan is soo random~

And they work soo well together. XD Cilan act's random, Iris comment's on his randomness.

Never a dull moment for me with that~^^

Pokeshipper:)

I like both series for different reasons..

I like the original season mainly because of nolagstia. and because my favorite female companion, Misty, is in it. And, also, because of the theme songs, because they capture the real feeling of the show, not focusing on friendship the whole time like in D/P.

I like Hoenn onward because of mang things. I like the character development in general in AG and the human-pokemon relationship development in DP and BW. I like the plot in general in Sinnoh, the Team Galactic arc was epic! And, I like the battles from Hoenn onward.

Also, in the OS, it was all about Ash, but in Hoenn onwards, they focused more on May, Dawn, Iris, and Cilan more. Poor Brock, he really dosen't get focused on until Sinnoh, but very little...

So, if I was forced to choose, I would choose Hoenn onwards because of plot and character improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.