• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Favorite Series Thread

Which series do you like more?

• Kanto

Votes: 43 29.5%
  • Orange Islands

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Johto

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 32 21.9%
  • Sinnoh

Votes: 34 23.3%
  • Unova/BW

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rohit_1997

Wait,what!?
Os.
Reasons:
1.It made me cry (Which hardly happens),made me laugh(Which again rarely happens),got me on my nerves;Literally,it made me change emotions.
2.It had Misty and Brock in it (The very first anime characters that i'd seen).
3.It had a remarkable theme song.
4.The original trio,IMO,were much realistic.
5.The Pokemons back then actually had a thing,what we call "Intelligence".As of now,they seem to be more of emotionless robots,designed to follow the orders of a human.

Hmmm...a tough one indeed.

Last edited:
Os.
5.The Pokemons back then actually had a thing,what we call "Intelligence".As of now,they seem to be more of emotionless robots,designed to follow the orders of a human.

I agree with your other points but I don't agree with this at all. Every season had Pokemon that had emotion and intelligence.

WhyHelloThere

Sinnoh was the best IMO. The storytelling was great, but Brock always being there got old and he hardly did anything. That's really the only negative thing I can think of about Sinnoh.

Sinnoh>Kanto>Hoenn>Unova>Johto

I don't understand the poll options though. The title says favorite series, but the poll options are region names. There isn't even any option for Orange Isles, Best Wishes 2 or Battle Frontier. What the heck? It would have made more sense if the options were OS, AG, DP and BW/BW2.

Last edited:

Airi-Chan

Falling Roses
Unova Saga because

1. Chemistry. I like chemistry between Ash, Iris, and Cilan
2. Rivals are epic. All rivals can participate the tournament
3. Character of the arc. So many unique COTA , especially for Luke, Montgomery
4. Team Rocket getting more serious
5. Popular Japanese Voice Actor/Actress
6. No Brock
7. One thing for sure, It's Trip yay

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Seriously?? Johto has more votes then Hoenn?? Really??

Seriously?? Johto has more votes then Hoenn?? Really??

When the thread started, it had different options, and I had voted for Hoenn.

The options were edited later and the Hoenn option was changed to Johto. So, technically it's because the mods messed up with my vote. xD Hoenn would be ahead of Johto.

J Ken

RAVE
My favorite is Unova.
1. The main cast feels fresh and new.
2. The rivals all participate together in tournaments.
3. The fillers are slightly more interesting.
4. No rival is far superior to the others and makes the others seem like jokes minus Burgundy.

But it also has some flaws
1. The rivals rarely appear outside tournaments.
2. Ash's reserves rarely appear.
3. Trip loses in the first round too often.
4. The rivals and Ash don't use all their Pokemon enough and rely to much on one of their Pokemon.

I still like the series despite the many flaws it has.

Here are my thoughts on the pros and cons of each series. I will admit I haven't seen AG and Johto in quite some time but I'll tell you what I remember of them and then when I watch them again, I shall give you my final thoughts.

Kanto- Honestly from an entertainment perspective, this and Orange Islands were probably the best. Every episode had a unique feel to it and all the fillers were fun to watch. Ash was great here. Misty was great here. Brock was great here. Gary was great here. I loved some of Ash's Pokémon and I felt they all had good development at points in the show. They all had their unique personalities. I felt this had a lot of emotion and was actually funny. TRio was great here. The only downsides are that I felt Gary and especially Giovanni were way underused during this saga and I felt there could have been more done with them. The battles weren't the best and Ash did earn most of his badges by pity badges. I honestly didn't mind the pity badges. This saga had great arcs which were really fun. So yeah, Kanto is my favorite.

Orange Islands- A GREAT filler saga. They actually continued to develop some of the characters, Ash grew a lot here and continued to develop and the Charizard storyline was great. A lot of the episodes were still funny and emotional and some of the episodes were really really good in my opinion such as Ash vs Drake (which was probably the best battle the series has had up until that point), "Pikachu Re-Volts," "Charizard Chills," and "Pokémon Food Fight."

Johto- Honestly, I don't think it as bad as people say. Ash finally began forming strategies during his gym battles, TR was better represented as an organization even if a lot of their stories weren't connected, Mewtwo's story was brought to a satisfying conclusion and some his Pokémon were likeable. Master Quest was especially good and the League was great. Ash and Gary's rivalry came to a great conclusion and I enjoyed some of the episodes a lot. Yeah, the filler formula that we would see in AG and DP started here but there were still great episodes. Wobbuffet was a great addition and even if TRio became less intimidating here, they were still funny characters.

AG- Like I said, I don't remember much but I thought May was a great addition who went through this great, great journey. She went through actual development since she started as the girl who hated Pokémon and later became a great coordinator. Her rivals, Drew and Harley, were great and 2 of the best rivals and well handled rivals the show has had. May herself was likeable and was a good Misty replacement. I'd take May over Johto Misty anyday honestly. Contests were a great addition. TRio weren't horrible here but they started to go downward. The Gym Battles were great, I liked Ash's team. A flaw with the show was that Ash didn't have a major rival but I still thought the Hoenn League was good if you look at it from a battle perspective. A lot of enjoyable battles.

Battle Frontier- A really well done filler saga that brought back old fan favorite Pokémon and gave Ash some really good battles. May's contest journey came to a great conclusion. I actually really like Solidad. I thought she was a great rival and Drew and Harley were great as always. The filler episodes weren't all that memorable but some were enjoyable and it is a short series so it doesn't take long to watch. Ash vs May was a great way to end the series.

DP- DP is a tricky season to judge honestly. The pros are that the battles were great, the gym leaders were well developed and memorable. Paul was a great rival in my opinion. He is the sort of character who you love to hate. He was just so cruel and seeing him lose to Ash was one of the best moments in any Pokémon series. Zoey serves her role as a mentor. Kenny could be fun at times. I thought he had a great bond with Dawn and I thought his last episode was great. Nando was interesting but terribly underused. Ursula played her role as the mean girl well. Barry didn't do it for me honestly. I didn't find him engaging or funny and he could be a jerk at points. Conway was hilarious. The League was great. I love how mysterious Tobias was. While terribly underused, J and Galactic were entertaining villains for the anime. And I love Dawn and her contest arc. The bad parts are TRio were terrible and obnoxious. They were at their absolute worst in this saga. The fillers were very hit or miss because the TRio basically ruined a lot of it with their so called humor.

Best Wishes- Ash is good here. Iris is well developed and well focused on. Cilan doesn't work for me. His humor doesn't amuse me. Team Rocket as an organization is the best they have ever been. TRio are the best they've been since the OS. Team Rocket is the best handled villain team ever in the anime. Giovanni returns and Zager and Pierce are both great characters. Trip is interesting but not well handled, Stephan does well as a competitive rival but he's not very interesting and the name joke was done already. Bianca is just not funny. She is not well handled either. Burgundy was funny at first but is now treated like a joke and she is really going nowhere. Georgia is well handled and is a good rival for Iris. I really like Professor Juniper and her father. The League was one of the weaker ones

pokemon fan 132

I have to agree with poster above me about Johto.
I rewatched it few months ago and after refreshing my memory i believe many things are blown out of proportion with series not being that bad as some make it out to be at all. I mean yeah you could say there wasn't enough character development and there happened some bad plotholes like GS ball drop, but it had also many memorable moments as well.

In my opinion when we ignore some pretty bad fillers, Johto was fairly enjoyable series . Battles were a lot better compared to first 2 seasons with Ash winning badges legitimately, Misty and Brock actually battled more receiving some notable focus and growth ,we got several great arcs and memorable gym leaders, return from older characters(like Todd, Duplica, Ritchie or Aya) and there are many episodes from this region i always like to go back and watch being well written and enjoyable.

I also to this day actually find that original trio had better chemistry in Johto than any other group which came afterwards. I suppose point could be made how Ash and Misty argued less but this was rather sign of friendship growing stronger than anything else, with dynamic still being entertaining.I remember they still had comic rivalry between themselves and Misty still liked to tease him frequently making jokes while sometimes getting in clash, and while there wasn't as much fights between them compared to Kanto she often came up with snarky comments , being annoyed with Ash stupidity who always backhanded comments directed to him.

And while there could have been done i feel Brock and Misty compared to Kanto still got more. Brock had several memorable moments where he could display skills as breeder, , got some cool pokemon like Pineco, as well his Zubat evolving all the way to Crobat.

Misty received her own arc Whirl Cup making steps forward to her goal of becoming water master, battled more frequent compared to Kanto and got some cool pokemon like Poliwhirl or Corsola which added diversity to her team .
Aside from that she started to grow as person becoming more level headed and independent while keeping that tomboyish, adventurous spirit.Got over annoyance toward sisters,bonded with several characters or pokemon and learned how to apply new strategy and develop skills as trainer casting fresh, new angle to her story.

You can say Ash started to grew as trainer too becoming more caring toward his pokemon. Unlike in Kanto he was winning badges through skill and strategy in Johto gyms with most gym leaders being portrayed in interesting and unique light. Additionally he became less impulsive not being same childish kid we used to watch in Kanto days becoming more calculated and strategic which can be noticed in his battles, and he concluded rivalry with childhood rival Gary in one of most epic battles this show had.

That endgame between Charizard and Blastoise was one of most memorable battles in this show.

Not to mention departure at end of Johto was one of most memorable ones showing how strong bond original cast had concluding OS on sweet, yet sad note.
Unfortunately this was also Misty last saga as main, being pity to see one of most interesting characters go who had lot of fresh potential about dreams and past to work upon.

I also agree that Hoenn series managed to add new refreshing perspective to pokemon series. I enjoyed in May contest arc adding fresh note to character and it was intriguing to follow growth from insecure girl which didn't cared about pokemon to more self reliant coordinator which grew to appreciate pokemon setting up what she wants to do in life. Addition of rivals like peculiar, feminine Harley whose dishonesty and dirty tricks gave comedy and tension to storyline mixed with Drew arrogance which provided clash worked as extra flavor making everything all that better.

There were set higher standards in terms of battles and it was refreshing to see progressive sign of maturity Ash character went through becoming more levelheaded,calm and self-critic wanting to learn on mistakes while keeping his bratty and funny aspect of character. He also became "grown up enough"to take mentor role on someone else which portrayed Ash in different yet interesting and unique light.

Last edited:

johno1995

AG was my absolute favorite series, followed by Kanto for pure comedy and the chemistry between Ash, Misty, and Brock, and 3rd goes to DP for its great battles. DP only falls flat to me when it comes to some really jagged, uneven portions, like how off the pacing was near the middle-end of it, and the handling of Ambipom, which was really disappointing. At least Gliscor came back, Ambipom was just forgotten about and it seemed really cheap.

If there were a way to blend the character development (May's was superb imo) of AG, the humor of Kanto, and the well-structured, amazing battles of DP in future series of the show, that would just be godly.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
my favorite is AG
because may have really great development there
great rivalry ( for me is best rivalry then any other character rivalry in poke series right now) , everything handle really well ( i think in my oppinion her character got good development then any other character in poke series right now)

but i vote for bw
cause team rocket seriousness and never blast off again won my heart :p and group dynamic is better and no brock :)

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
OS. For one, it appealed to a wider age range, and wasn't dumbed down. The characters (both COTD and main) were more likable, too. It also had better humor

Brownie

Anti Drew & paul fan
Original series (OI in particular), better fillers, better humor, better dialogue (don't really like some of the new scripts), better songs (many of the new ones after OS are hit or miss), better BGM, better characters (hello, Tracey! XD), etc.

OS and AG = My favorite (I agree with RealRaymon).

BF was just alright, though.

The dub switch soured it, but the voice imitations were actually good here. The voice acting, on the other hand, was plain bad.

(Ironic that later in the season, the voices get jarring and are poor, but the voice acting becomes good).

DP was...like a trainwreck for me...I just get bored with it very quickly, and Ash and Brock's dub voices constantly annoyed me due to how deep they were.

It's really frustrating to sit through them for me...XD.

I did like Dawn, Paul, and Ash and Paul's rivalry, but other than that it just bores me.

I'd rather refrain from re-watching this arc (at least if my only option is the dub: it just doesn't work for me...everything seems so weird and off for me).

BWS1 was great. The 4th and 8th gym battles were atrocious, but I liked everything besides that.

BWS2 was terrible. The Unova League was horrible, and Dawn's return was so...blah. Boring for some reason. I liked Dawn more than usual, but this was kind of boring to me.

BWS2: N is good. Some fillers here and there, but I still enjoy it.

A lot of this has to do with my preference for the 4Kids dub, though. DAT NOSTALGIA. :D

Last edited:
D/P is my favorite. The contests were more exciting, the league battles were awesome and so were the gym quests. They had one of my favorite teams (Galactic) and my second favorite version of the TRio.

AG comes second.

Oh that is cool. XD

Oh and though I wonder. I didn't see ALL of D/P yet (but I've seen enough to say it's my favorite), but looking through all the Giovanni avatars for D/P... I am wondering if we got to see a different side to him?

We got to see him in his speedo with sweet honey, remember? Dashing through the desert, no less! Oh, Meowth's fantasies, where they take him...XD. :)

I don't remember much of DP...it's pretty vague as I didn't like it much. I don't recall Giovanni showing his less menacing half...I mean, I do recall him making fun of how Jessie sent him a Yanma among the thousands of others he received, but that's all I remember. lol.

I watched all 191 episodes, but it...oof...doesn't evoke the same feeling I had watching the earlier arcs. That sense of adventure, emotion, character chemistry...you know? Add to that the fact that I just don't like Ash and Brock's voices in Pokemon International's English dub of DP. They're not bad, but they're just so off for me. XD.

Last edited:

LizardonX

Banned
Oh that is cool. XD

Oh and though I wonder. I didn't see ALL of D/P yet (but I've seen enough to say it's my favorite), but looking through all the Giovanni avatars for D/P... I am wondering if we got to see a different side to him?

We see TRio finally send a pokemon to him sucesfully. He doesn't even remember their names XD

Status
Not open for further replies.