• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Favorite Series Thread

Which series do you like more?

• Kanto

Votes: 43 29.5%
  • Orange Islands

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Johto

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • Hoenn

Votes: 32 21.9%
  • Sinnoh

Votes: 34 23.3%
  • Unova/BW

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We see TRio finally send a pokemon to him sucesfully. He doesn't even remember their names XD

Another hilarious moment:

Giovanni: "Though your plans won't buy me a cup of coffee, I have wanted to set up shop there! Do your best!"
Jessie: "Don't we always?"
Giovanni: "THAT's what I'm AFRAID of!"

Gotta admit, this was epic win in DP (from EP002/EP470 IIRC). :D

LizardonX

Banned
Remind me who those losers were again?

That was funny XD

That was back when they were losers and proud of it rather than trying to be something they're not XD

I mean I like how they are a little more evil and such but damn.

But that's a different story. Yeah DP is my favorite series.

It's personally my least favorite, BUT a lot of it has to do with how mature all the protagonists are, Ash and Brock's DP dub voices (I don't even feel like they're the same characters anymore half the time: they just sound so damn deep, and it gives off a nasty vibe for me as it feels really wrong to hear them like this). I know this is an extremely unpopular opinion, but as I started since EP001 and unlike a lot of people I never really left the series until that arc for a multitude of reasons, I have a real grudge with it. TRio doesn't even bug me that much in the dub or in DP in general. Yeah, I don't like their dub dialogue, but they're still funny most of the time. It's the protagonists I had an issue with (much more in the dub). XD.

Last edited:

LizardonX

Banned
I mean I like how they are a little more evil and such but damn.

But that's a different story. Yeah DP is my favorite series.

They might as well be robots, or maybe Giovanni lobotomized them and put in a new brain.

It's personally my least favorite, BUT a lot of it has to do with how mature all the protagonists are, Ash and Brock's DP dub voices (I don't even feel like they're the same characters anymore half the time: they just sound so damn deep, and it gives off a nasty vibe for me as it feels really wrong to hear them like this). I know this is an extremely unpopular opinion, but as I started since EP001 and unlike a lot of people I never really left the series until that arc for a multitude of reasons, I have a real grudge with it. TRio doesn't even bug me that much in the dub or in DP in general. Yeah, I don't like their dub dialogue, but they're still funny most of the time. It's the protagonists I had an issue with (much more in the dub). XD.

Why would they watch BF and then quit in DP because of the voices.

sandy ketchum

It's personally my least favorite, BUT a lot of it has to do with how mature all the protagonists are, Ash and Brock's DP dub voices (I don't even feel like they're the same characters anymore half the time: they just sound so damn deep, and it gives off a nasty vibe for me as it feels really wrong to hear them like this). I know this is an extremely unpopular opinion
i felt the same about DP

Aside from Ash, the voices in BF actually sound a bit closer to their 4kids incarnations than in DP. Especially May, Brock and Team Rocket.

Exactly. And Max left after BF, so we didn't have to deal with his current voice for any longer. We only had to hear May's DP voice for a few eps, so while it did bug me in comparison to her later BF and M09 voice, it was still alright. Not horrific like listening to DP Brock and BW Meowth's voices. *sigh*

Why would they watch BF and then quit in DP because of the voices.

Mainly Ash (the first two seasons of DP in his case) and Brock. Their voices are so deep...it's just wrong. I mean, Ash is just a kid and Brock is just a teenager. There's no need to make them sound so old and inappropriate for their characters ages. BW just confirmed Ash is 10, and he still sounds a bit too old in BW (like he's 12 or 13): granted it's not bad anymore, but I still feel it's not the right voice but I can deal with this one. In DP, Ash sounded like he was 17 in its first two seasons, and Brock like he was 25. Those are all wrong for the characters to me, I guess. *shrugs*

The BF voices for Ash and Max were utterly horrific, I agree, but everyone else was actually tolerable in that saga in terms of sounding somewhat like they used to. In DP, Ash (for the first half of DP, specifically- he's fine in the second), Brock, and May are just so far off from their 4Kids voices it makes me feel like they're totally different people. Not in a good way, either. :/

My point is, the voice acting in BF is the worst in TPCi's dub, no question about that. The voices themselves, however, are the worst in TPCi's DP dub in my eyes. The acting drastically improved, though, I'm not denying that.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Mainly Ash (the first two seasons of DP in his case) and Brock. Their voices are so deep...it's just wrong. I mean, Ash is just a kid and Brock is just a teenager. There's no need to make them sound so old.

The BF voices for Ash and Max were utterly horrific, I agree, but everyone else was actually tolerable in that saga in terms of sounding somewhat like they used to. In DP, Ash (for the first half of DP, specifically- he's fine in the second), Brock, and May are just so far off from their 4Kids voices it makes me feel like they're totally different people. Not in a good way, either. :/

My point is, the voice acting in BF is the worst in TPCi's dub, no question about that. The voices themselves, however, are the worst in TPCi's DP dub in my eyes. The acting drastically improved, though, I'm not denying that.

Well if you recall the PUSA voices were told to imitate the 4kids voices when they first started.

By the time we got into DP it had been a few years since the 4kids dub ended, so they started putting their own spin on things.

Well if you recall the PUSA voices were told to imitate the 4kids voices when they first started.

By the time we got into DP it had been a few years since the 4kids dub ended, so they started putting their own spin on things.

Yeah, I just don't like their spin on things when it comes to the voices they came up with in DP. I was fine with their imitation voices since they still sounded like they used to (except Ash and Max). I'd rather they kept on doing what they were doing while merely improving their acting. I dunno, it's just disappointing because I don't like how old some of the characters sound now.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Yeah, I just don't like their spin on things when it comes to the voices they came up with in DP. I was fine with their imitation voices since they still sounded like they used to (except Ash and Max). I'd rather they kept on doing what they were doing while merely improving their acting. I dunno, it's just disappointing because I don't like how old some of the characters sound now.

Agreed. And it still makes you wonder how the few lines of dialogue Misty/Brock will have in the Charizard episode will sound like. Makes you wish they just re-used the old sound clips from the other episodes...not to mention Sarah voicing the Kanto/Johto incarnation of Ash in those.

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!
I personally like sinnoh the best because i really enjoyed the dub. I do have a few japanese episodes on DVD but the 6 episode boxset was really just a treat for me since I had no japanese stuff officially at the time and really wanted something since I had every other language and the mini movies because TPCI never dubbed them..........

Personally I've always preferred the dub. Just feels so homely to me.=3

I have the whole of DP on DVD.=D

I love the story and really like ash in this series aswell as the trio and everything. I never get bored of it.^-^

I personally like sinnoh the best because i really enjoyed the dub. I do have a few japanese episodes on DVD but the 6 episode boxset was really just a treat for me since I had no japanese stuff officially at the time and really wanted something since I had every other language and the mini movies because TPCI never dubbed them..........

Personally I've always preferred the dub. Just feels so homely to me.=3

I have the whole of DP on DVD.=D

I love the story and really like ash in this series aswell as the trio and everything. I never get bored of it.^-^

The DP dub is definitely different from the other dubs for me. I'll definitely say it's unique and gives you a different taste for a more mature feel on the series. It's mainly the first half of the DP dub that's tough for me to acclimatize myself to. The second half is actually pretty decent from Galactic Battles to the end of Sinnoh. I do like that part of the DP dub. I will praise it for that much at the least. It's when I feel the voices settled in (at least for Ash, Dawn, and TRio). I like Bill's Brock a lot more in S9-11, though, for some reason. He sounded a lot lighter and more like Eric Stuart and Yuji Ueda did back then. I hope he uses that voice in the BW116 flashback myself. :D

At least someone here isn't a strict purist who feels the dub must strictly adhere to the JPN version. Thank the lord someone here still exists who does not care for that so much, as they enjoy the show more. I applaud you for it. Can't tell you how much of a relief it is to see someone who does not think it's wrong to like either dub more.

Agreed. And it still makes you wonder how the few lines of dialogue Misty/Brock will have in the Charizard episode will sound like. Makes you wish they just re-used the old sound clips from the other episodes...not to mention Sarah voicing the Kanto/Johto incarnation of Ash in those.

Agreed. I don't mind Sarah's Unova Ash myself: I actually really like her voice now for the character. It's mainly that he's going to sound as old as he does now in the flashbacks, which feels kind of inappropriate to me as Taylor's Ash is honestly more appropriate for younger Ash to me. Hopefully Bill goes back to his earlier Brock voice he used in BF and the first half of DP for the flashbacks, since that would be most appropriate for Kanto Brock. Best thing would just be to re-use the old sound clips like you said, but I have a feeling they'll just re-dub the whole thing.

Last edited:

Cresselia92

SM Ash = New Ash
Ok, here's my ranking:

1) Advance Generation
I find this series the most balanced of the bunch. It has Ash as a quite competent trainer and with a bit of personality (he was shown as cocky since he acknowledged his past achievements and I liked that), May is my favorite girl since she had great dynamics with her brother Max and introduced Contests and Brock had still a good role in the group. I loved the League and the pacing was good. Also, it has one of the most epic matches ever (at least to me): Charizard vs. Articuno.

2) Diamond and Pearl
I simply loved how Ash was shown as a competent trainer. He seemed to really know what he was doing. I really enjoyed his rivalry with Paul and the battles were excellent and full of strategies. What I didn't like was that Brock seemed almost non-existent and I wasn't really fond with Dawn and Piplup at the beginning of the series.

3) Kanto
I began with the beginning, so I'm quite fond with that series. It was quite humorous and had a lot of interesting stories. Also, the characters had a lot of... character. XD The battles weren't great, but I don't complain. They had just started after all, so I forgive them for that.

4) Orange Island
I liked the originality of the series, since it wasn't based on any game and I liked the original Gym matches and the champion Drake. But other than that, I don't remember much about this series. It simply didn't stick much for me.

5) Best Wishes
I like the animation and the personalities of the characters. However, I'm not too fond to the rest. I find the series quite messy and too fast-paced, in all honesty.

6) Johto
You may say that kids follow the show because we can see monsters fighting. Well, I was a kid back then and I grew bored fast with a lot of episodes. Also the fights weren't that great, even if they significantly improved from Kanto (the League was really good, though).

karczx

DP, then Kanto.

It was DP afterall that brought me back into watching Pokemon again. Loved the interaction between Satoshi and Hikari and Hikari is an awesome Pokegirl, my most favorite by far. The DP movies were great too. Keep in mind that I didn't watch the dub because at that point I disliked dubbed anime.

Flame_22

I like Hoenn and also Sinnoh but well I only can vote for one, so I voted for Hoenn..
Hoenn being that it's the starting point of something new, namely contest were being introduced which was really cool and Sinnoh due to the great rivalry between ash and Paul. Also in my opinion the characters in Hoenn and Sinnoh are more well developed plus the great storyline.

Geki

I watched every single episode of the Indigo League all the way through the end of the Hoenn saga. I stopped watching at ''The Scheme Teem'' and have never watched any episodes since, so I cannot judge the other arcs, although, they do look a bit worse than the ones I have seen. My favorite would have to be the Indigo League.

1. I grew up with this season, as well as all the original 150 Pokemon. I got a Gameboy Pocket and Blue Version, as well as some packs of Pokemon Cards when I was 8 years old. I started watching the anime ever since the first episodes in America, and I was hooked.

2. I love the trio of Ash, Misty and Brock. I don't like how they switched up the group almost every season, but did not replace Ash or Brock (he was only absent for Orange Islands and Unova). I would have rather had them replace all main characters every time or just keep the original trio, exploring each new region together.

3. I loved how the episodes in the first season had a LOT of Japanese references and the animation was basic, yet very good IMO. I don't like how Pokemon has become overly Americanized with the anime. The games have essentially stayed the same, not sure about the TCG because does that still exist?, and the anime has just changed a lot.

4. The raw emotion of the characters and Pokemon were incredible, which was lost in later seasons.

Honestly, I though the Orange Islands arc was pointless and I did not enjoy really any of it, except for maybe a few episodes. It was basically an entire filler season, while waiting for G/S/C to be properly introduced. It's evident even more so because there have never been a mention of The Orange Islands in anywhere else except for the anime, which bugs me.

The Johto arc had it's ups and downs. At first, I thought it was going to be awesome, but there were SO many fillers, and pointless fillers at that, that it kept be very bored and uninterested. It dragged out way to long honestly. I did like some of the battles and Johto Pokemon, and the Silver Conference was pretty cool as well. Charizard VS Blaziken was epic. Overall though, too many fillers and the character and plot development was very poor. If there was ever a stale point in the anime, it was Johto.

The Hoenn arc was actually awesome IMO. I loved the R/S games, and I thought it was awesome that Ash basically started over and left all his Pokemon from Kanto/Orange Islands/Johto with Oak, and started fresh with only his starter Pokemon, Pikachu. It felt like the very first time Ash left Kanto with only Pikachu. I liked how he had to capture all new Pokemon and build and raise a team. I loved the clothes of Ash and Brock in Hoenn as well. Brock returning after only a few episodes into the arc was a good move, and I loved how he left all his Pokemon from Kanto/Johto behind and only took Forretress. Max was kind of annoying and pointless most of the arc, but he didn't bother me that much. May was cool, and I loved how Ash fried her bike in the first episode, like he did with Misty in the first episode of Pokemon. The battles were awesome, and I loved Ash's team this season, which may have been the only time I ever liked his team. I think it's lame to have Ash always get all 3 starters, and Hoenn was the only time that he didn't. The gym battles were all good except for Roxanne, IMO. The Hoenn League was decent.

Overall, I think the Anime's biggest downfall is that it is never-ending, because with each new Pokemon region introduced in each new game, the anime will follow. I feel like they need to get rid of Team Rocket completely, I cannot believe how they never have been replaced, and I can't believe how no one is sick of them. I don't like how Ash apparently does not age at all, he was 10 during the very first episode where he left Pallet with Pikachu, and he is 10 during the Unova saga too, apparently. It just makes it seems that the anime has no real story, like it's just there to make money or they are afraid to cancel it, ever since the start of Advanced Generation, it just seems like they are wiping the slate clean with each new region and forgetting everything from past seasons. I also refuse to watch the horrible English dub for Pokemon, so I am sure it's even worse in America nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.