• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official GSC Programming & Beta Glitch Thread

Hmm... Reminds me of the time I found a beta map for Goldenrod...

I'm gonna go dig that out.

Edit: Okay, here it is, generated with Goldmap.

http://i1.*******.com/nqz42b.png

Notice that tiles 0x08 and 0x09 (the building roof) and 0x7E and 0x7F (the train tracks) are switched around compared to the final tileset, and that there is an exit to the west.

Start offset: 0x000A9D07
End offset: 0x000A9E6E

Last edited:

Gulzar

Grass Trainer
Super cool find HexaTyphlosion! I didn’t even think to look for beta maps of cities. I wonder how many other beta maps like that there are?
;001;

There's no telling. I'm searching for more, but with little success. One impediment, of course, is the varying tilesets used in the game (some of which may not have even made it to the final!)

I'm currently trying to put together a list of address ranges for the known maps.

muckers

*yawn*
HexaTyphlosion said:
Hmm... Reminds me of the time I found a beta map for Goldenrod...

I'm gonna go dig that out.

Edit: Okay, here it is, generated with Goldmap.

http://i1.*******.com/nqz42b.png

Notice that tiles 0x08 and 0x09 (the building roof) and 0x7E and 0x7F (the train tracks) are switched around compared to the final tileset, and that there is an exit to the west.

Start offset: 0x000A9D07
End offset: 0x000A9E6E

Hmm..interesting find. :)

No department store and an exit from the left. Mabye they were using a different tileset for the tracks, but decided to go with a different design and as a result changed the 'beta' track design with that roof design, hence why you get roofs for train tracks? Just a thought.

That's a possibility.

Also notice that there is an extra route house on the south end of town (there isn't one there in the final) and that there are no entrances to the underground area.

Phreack

ph334r me!...Please?
Wow that's a good find. I think the left house was supposed to lead to Olivine city or to a path to Cianwood. But wherever it would take, why did they take it out??? ???

Last edited:

Phreack

ph334r me!...Please?
Oops too much Emerald for me. I meant the other island, Cianwood :$
Edit: Just corrected, thanks

O

Only DeoXyS

That map could easily be edited.. Because there is no Dept. Store.

Actually, a route from Goldenrod to Cianwood is a strong possibility. Look here. You can draw a straight line from Goldenrod City to the Whirl Islands.

And I assure you, this map is not a forgery.

Also, I found something interesting in the tileset used for caves:

http://i1.*******.com/nwa1d1.png

Tracks, and what looks like a mine cart. There also seems to be a block, which I don't believe appears in the game either.

Gulzar

Grass Trainer
Yeah HexaTyphlosion, I’ve seen those cave tiles before. It makes me think that they were planning on having something more in a cave (a city perhaps?). And if people believe that the beta Goldenrod isn’t real, think again. I’ve entered the offsets into my version of Goldmap and it shows up perfectly. Guys, honestly, stop looking for made-up stuff: you’re not going to find it here because I won’t allow it.
;001;

Absol!

Sea Ruby Trainer
Wow! Those are so cool. I wish Lake of Rage Town still existed. Maybe, like someone mentioned, it became Mahogony Town. I always wondered why you could fly to the Lake...

And Goldenrod City is very interesting. Awesome finds!

Gulzar

Grass Trainer
I don’t have the event offsets for any of the beta maps, unfortunately. I would especially like to find the offsets for the caves so I might have some idea as to where they were intended to go. Then again, there might not be any events programmed for the beta maps, like the beta Safari Zone (see Safari Zone map thread).
Wish I knew more.
;001;

MaskedManAbsolkid

~Imperial Stormtrooper~ said:
My guess was an unfinished Seafoam?

That's possible, actually. If it is Seafoam, then I'd check Cinnabar if I were you, for people who have the program. So can you have a check to see if Cinnabar's still there? And I'd check the routes around Cinnabar, I'd check Pallet, I'd check Viridian, and I'd check fuschia. Sorry for the overdo, but they are linked to the Islands and Cinnabar (Pallet and Fuschia are close, Viridian's leader visits Cinnabar).

Phreack

ph334r me!...Please?
Good find! Those caves look from the very very early stages of production. The second has something like a hole with water, I don't know why but it makes me think it's seafoam. Something that would be good to find is Cinnabar...