• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Homework Help v.2

Aggron95

tildes gonna tilde~
Since Babs closed the old one several minutes ago; and school is upon us once again; I decided to take the initiative and remake the Homework Help Thread! Cheers!
Topic Starter: Is the above paragraphs punctuated properly? No run-ons or anything? (I'm reviewing grammar at the moment.)

Since Babs closed the old one several minutes ago; and school is upon us once again; I decided to take the initiative and remake the Homework Help Thread! Cheers!
Topic Starter: Is the above paragraphs punctuated properly? No run-ons or anything? (I'm reviewing grammar at the moment.)
Code:
Since Babs closed the old thread several minutes ago and school is upon us once again, I decided to take the initiative and remake the Homework Help Thread! Cheers!
Changing 'one' to 'thread' depends on how picky you want to get. Pronouns should be preceded by their antecedent even if it's obvious.

Btw this is v.3, at least.

EDIT: Thank you so much for using correct punctuation in the topic title.

Last edited:

Harkett

whatisthisidonteven
Or the semi-colons could be replaced with dashes.

Since Babs closed the old thread several minutes ago- and school is upon us once again-

Could be construed as correct as well.

Or the semi-colons could be replaced with dashes.

Could be construed as correct as well.

But they'd have to be either spaced en dashes - like this - or em dashes--like this. It's hard to do an em dash in vBCode :/

I doubt any teacher could be that pedantic though.

Harkett

whatisthisidonteven
I certainly hope not.

Meticulousness is a harbinger.

BloodthirstPriest

I don't speak monkey

Well, above the last paragraph is one paragraph, so it should be "Is the above paragraph", or "are these paragraphs".

Harkett

whatisthisidonteven
I believe you mean 'paragraphi', BloodthirstPriest.

No, not really.

By tomorrow, maybe something worthwhile will finally strike this thread.

Strike it with jaundice, that is.

Last edited:

Ethan

Banned
What are the German pronouns? I had them in my notes and now I can't find them, and google is failing me. >_>;

Harkett

whatisthisidonteven
I know about 20% of those... and they appear correct.

Umbreon-dana

Phat Philanthropist
Rightoh, 18-day bump. And with school starting soon, this deserves to be up here at the top of the page.

Back on topic, this mini-essay (textual evidence on a short story, with three drafts) is due on Monday, and I want to see if there's anything else that can be fixed/added/changed before I turn it in:

The short story is titled The Landlady and is written by Roald Dahl. The hook of this book is: “Billy Weaver had traveled down from London on the slow afternoon train, with a change at Reading along the way... ” (72).

Billy Weaver, who is the main protagonist of the story, is introduced by Dahl at this time, “Billy Weaver was seventeen-years old. He was wearing a navy-blue overcoat, a new brown trilby hat, and a new brown suit, he was feeling fine... .” (73).

The author creates a new setting at this time “There were no shops on this wide street... only a tall line of houses on each side, all of them identical. They had porches and pillars and four or five steps going up to the front doors... the paint was peeling from the woodwork on their doors and windows and that the handsome white facades were cracked and blotchy from neglect.” (73).

Roald Dahl begins the rising action, “... when all at once his eye was caught and held in the most peculiar manner by the small notice that was there... and the next thing he knew he was actually moving across from the window to the front door of the house, and reaching for the bell.” (74).

The author introduces a new character at this time, “... this dame was like a jack in the box... She was about forty five or fifty years old... ” (75).

Dahl possibly foreshadows a later event, “... I see someone standing there who is exactly right.” (75).

Another instance of foreshadowing is written by the author, “Christopher Mulholland. It rings a bell. Now where had he heard that before.” (76).

Roald Dahl possibly describes the rising action into further detail, as well as reintroducing two characters, providing better details on each, “'Left?... But my dear boy, he never left. He's still here. Mr. Temple is also here. They're on the fourth floor, both of them together.'” (79).

Mr. Dahl commences the climax of the story, “'That parrot. You know something? It had me completely fooled when I first saw it through the window. I could've sworn it was alive.''Alas, no longer'... 'It's most clever the way it's been done... Who did it?''I did.'... 'Have you met my little Basil as well?' She nodded towards the dachshund... 'I stuff all my little pets myself when they pass away.'... 'Excuse my asking, but haven't there been any guests except them in the last two years... '” (79-80).

Mr. Roald Dahl has an open ended denouement that leaves the reader to predict the cruel fate of her guest, “Holding her teacup high in one hand, inclining her head slightly to the left, she looked up at him out of the corner of her eyes and gave him another gentle smile. 'No, my dear... Only you.'” (80).

Yes, there are indents, they just don't show up because the Editor Mode is on.

A ball intially at rest rolls down a hill with an acceleration of 3.3 m/s^2. If it accelerates for 8.5s, how far will it move?

Last edited:

Harkett

whatisthisidonteven
The short story is titled The Landlady and is written by Roald Dahl. The hook of this book is: “Billy Weaver had traveled down from London on the slow afternoon train, with a change at Reading along the way... ” (72).

Billy Weaver, who is the main protagonist of the story, is introduced by Dahl at this time, “Billy Weaver was seventeen-years old. He was wearing a navy-blue overcoat, a new brown trilby hat, and a new brown suit, he was feeling fine... .” (73).

The author creates a new setting at this time “There were no shops on this wide street... only a tall line of houses on each side, all of them identical. They had porches and pillars and four or five steps going up to the front doors... the paint was peeling from the woodwork on their doors and windows and that the handsome white facades were cracked and blotchy from neglect.” (73).

Roald Dahl begins the rising action, “... when all at once his eye was caught and held in the most peculiar manner by the small notice that was there... and the next thing he knew he was actually moving across from the window to the front door of the house, and reaching for the bell.” (74).

The author introduces a new character at this time, “... this dame was like a jack in the box... She was about forty five or fifty years old... ” (75).

Dahl possibly foreshadows a later event, “... I see someone standing there who is exactly right.” (75).

Another instance of foreshadowing is written by the author, “Christopher Mulholland. It rings a bell. Now where had he heard that before.” (76).

Roald Dahl possibly describes the rising action into further detail, as well as reintroducing two characters, providing better details on each, “'Left?... But my dear boy, he never left. He's still here. Mr. Temple is also here. They're on the fourth floor, both of them together.'” (79).

Mr. Dahl commences the climax of the story, “'That parrot. You know something? It had me completely fooled when I first saw it through the window. I could've sworn it was alive.''Alas, no longer'... 'It's most clever the way it's been done... Who did it?''I did.'... 'Have you met my little Basil as well?' She nodded towards the dachshund... 'I stuff all my little pets myself when they pass away.'... 'Excuse my asking, but haven't there been any guests except them in the last two years... '” (79-80).

Mr. Roald Dahl has an open ended denouement that leaves the reader to predict the cruel fate of her guest, “Holding her teacup high in one hand, inclining her head slightly to the left, she looked up at him out of the corner of her eyes and gave him another gentle smile. 'No, my dear... Only you.'” (80).

Oh, yes, I remember this story! It's about the cannibalistic old hag who eats her motel guests!

I really like our examples of foreshadowing, as they directly capture what was to happen in that story more than any other quotes I can remember...

Everything else looks fine. Great grammar, spelling, and all of your facts are straight and organized.

Good job.

Umbreon-dana

Phat Philanthropist
Oh, yes, I remember this story! It's about the cannibalistic old hag who eats her motel guests!

I really like your examples of foreshadowing, as they directly capture what was to happen in that story more than any other quotes I can remember...

Everything else looks fine. Great grammar, spelling, and all of your facts are straight and organized.

Good job.

Actually, someone in my class said that she poisoned them.

Thanks, now I know that it's ready to turn in... On Monday. XD

Edit: 555. LOL.

Khamul

Fail Meister
Can anyone here help me on a report i'm doing, i need to find info on the vincentians and NO wikipedia is not helping.

The Thrashmeister

<-- Made of awesome.
Need some help with trigonometry.

-How do you make a radical? (how do you know what numbers to put in the square root symbol?)
-How do you reduce radicals?
-How do you write negative radicals in terms of i?
-How exactly do you find the roots of an equation?

A ball intially at rest rolls down a hill with an acceleration of 3.3 m/s^2. If it accelerates for 8.5s, how far will it move?

d = 1/2at^2

Where d is distance, a is acceleration, and t is time. Try that.

Last edited:
^ I can't even remember why we did that in trig.

here is my question that is stumping me:
A tortoise can run with a speed of 0.10 m/s, and a hare can run 20 times as fast. In a race, they both start at the same time, but the hare stops to rest for 3.0 minutes. The tortoise wins by a shell (30 cm).
How long does the race take?
What is the distance of the race?

please do not just give me the answer. I would like to know how solve it. I think it has something to do with r=d/t.

EDIT: I just figured out the time. it is equal to 186 s. I am sorry for bothering anyone.
Then delete the post.o_O;;

I need some clarification with Geometry. I want to double check so I get a good grade on my test tomorrow. The Transitive Proper of Angles is:

<A = <B
<B = <C
Therefore <A=<C

Correct? I tend to mix these up. Hence the post.

The Thrashmeister

<-- Made of awesome.
Then delete the post.o_O;;

I need some clarification with Geometry. I want to double check so I get a good grade on my test tomorrow. The Transitive Proper of Angles is:

<A = <B
<B = <C
Therefore <A=<C

Correct? I tend to mix these up. Hence the post.

That's correct.

Still need clarification on my trig questions... kinda urgent. D:

And crobatman, if you know anything at all, please just post. :[