• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Metagame Updates and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragrath

Dragon Onslaught
I always thought that "RU" would wind up being a ban-list from NU, not it's own tier :/ . I'm not so sure it's necessary as an entity utterly separate from NU, what purpose does it really serve? NU is kind of a basin for everything not at least UU to settle into, we really didn't need another tier except maybe to create a stable "NU metagame" (which smogon will never be able to get around to doing).

Yeah, I wish I had a picture of someone using a Gravity Hammer on Halo, and photo-shopped Kyurem into it, because that thing just got BANHAMMERED, and rightfully so. Mew and Victini possibly going BL doesn't surprise me either. I'm suspicious of anything with shadow tag, so the narrow escape for wobbuffett saddens me a little. No opinion on Starraptor, I've only seen one this generation so far. It was BL last gen though, and it's still probably one of the best Normal/Flying types around (unlike the **** that is Unpheasant...)

remember the power creep tell me how thinngs like buterfree or farfeched deal with the kind power being thrown around UU this gen(which is aproximatly as powerful as gen 4 OU)? If a tier doesn't come in between UU and NU then the power creep will hit them hard too.

RifleAvenger

See you starside
remember the power creep tell me how thinngs like buterfree or farfeched deal with the kind power being thrown around UU this gen(which is aproximatly as powerful as gen 4 OU)? If a tier doesn't come in between UU and NU then the power creep will hit them hard too.

Both were NU last gen, and that's where they were typically run. Trying to run them in UU alone took special care. As for things that were UU and no longer make the cut, well, they shouldn't be UU anymore. If the things dropping down to NU break NU, that's when a RU teir should come in. Now, however, they seem to be promoting OU (with ubers as banlist), UU (BL as the banlist), RU (with a RU banlist), and NU (with a NU banlist). That's a bit much, if you ask me, considering they never really got around to analyzing the NU metagame last generation, so there was a stupid power gap in there (Ramparados versus plusle and minun, who wins?).

vitorml

5th gen Legend
hmm regardless of how smogon is totally made of noobs who want to control wifi, i'd like to know your opinion about some pokémon who are underestimated, my example being bisharp, no one sees him as an epic sweeper and potential revenge killer?

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
hmm regardless of how smogon is totally made of noobs who want to control wifi, i'd like to know your opinion about some pokémon who are underestimated, my example being bisharp, no one sees him as an epic sweeper and potential revenge killer?
Have you ever read Smogon's mission statement?

Frankly there are several threads that already discuss what you're trying to do

vitorml

5th gen Legend
Have you ever read Smogon's mission statement?

Frankly there are several threads that already discuss what you're trying to do
hmm regardless, its still for noobs, but i still think there are various sweepers people are afraid to use because they're underrated, i'd like to know anyone's opinion about them

windsong

WEST SIDE
hmm regardless, its stillf or noobs, but i still think there re various sweepers people are afraid to use because they're underrated, i'd like to know anyone's opinion about them

My opinion about Smogon is that the players there who vote on the tiering are much better at this game than you are.

That is all.

edit: and bisharp is pretty bad in ou right now

vitorml

5th gen Legend
My opinion about Smogon is that the players there who vote on the tiering are much better at this game than you are.

That is all.

edit: and bisharp is pretty bad in ou right now

nah they're just a bunch of simpleminded noobs, but anyhow, i think bisharp pwns a lot of sweepers with correct moves, for example, mine has SD, sucker punch, brick break and iron head, he works pretty well and OHKOes a lot of counters, namely, heatran, ferrothorn, chandelure and even conkeldurr(ok, he needs 2 SDs to OHKO conkelderp, but still...)
all people gotta learn is get out of smogon's narrow vision and try to make their own sets

Vandslaux

nah they're just a bunch of simpleminded noobs, but anyhow, i think bisharp pwns a lot of sweepers with correct moves, for example, mine has SD, sucker punch, brick break and iron head, he works pretty well and OHKOes a lot of counters, namely, heatran, ferrothorn, chandelure and even conkeldurr(ok, he needs 2 SDs to OHKO conkelderp, but still...)
all people gotta learn is get out of smogon's narrow vision and try to make their own sets

Have you ever heard of Excadrill? Outclasses him as an SD sweeper. He's bad because of all the Fighting priority flying around.

Oh, and OHKOing counters? They're counters for a reason, they beat him, he doesn't beat them.

nah they're just a bunch of simpleminded noobs

Oh goodie, another one of these guys.

but anyhow, i think bisharp pwns a lot of sweepers with correct moves, for example, mine has SD, sucker punch, brick break and iron head, he works pretty well and OHKOes a lot of counters, namely, heatran, ferrothorn, chandelure and even conkeldurr(ok, he needs 2 SDs to OHKO conkelderp, but still...)

Heatran outspeeds and OHKOs with Fire Blast. Conkeldurr OHKOs easily with Mach Punch. Ferrothorn and Chandelure may be right, but no one is going to use those to counter Bisharp.

Again, another one of these guys.

windsong

WEST SIDE

Oh god, you're a random smogon hater who doesn't understand tiers. Goodie.

Let's look at the top 50 OU pokemon. Bisharp loses to some TTar, all Scizor, Politoed, Gliscor, Excadrill, Dragonite, Heatran, SKarmory, Conkeldurr, SubDisable/SubSplit Gengar, Bulky Rotom-W, Jellicent (it just Taunts then WoWs you and you can't do anything back), Gyarados, Volcarona, Infernape, Toxicroak, Terrakion, Tentacruel, Breloom, Hydreigon, Virizion, Scrafty, Lucario, Mienshao, and Machamp. Also Quagsire. Oh also pretty much anything with Substitute that outspeeds it.

That's quite the list. It's better to use something that isn't dead weight against a ton of stuff.

And you don't get it, do you. Tiers are based upon two things -- usage stats and suspect voting. PO and Smogon don't have anywhere the same memberbase, but they have pretty much the same OU tiers barring one or two changes because people soon figure out which pokemon suck and which don't, and they use the ones that don't suck. Get it?

vitorml

5th gen Legend
Oh god, you're a random smogon hater who doesn't understand tiers. Goodie.

Let's look at the top 50 OU pokemon. Bisharp loses to some TTar, all Scizor, Politoed, Gliscor, Excadrill, Dragonite, Heatran, SKarmory, Conkeldurr, SubDisable/SubSplit Gengar, Bulky Rotom-W, Jellicent (it just Taunts then WoWs you and you can't do anything back), Gyarados, Volcarona, Infernape, Toxicroak, Terrakion, Tentacruel, Breloom, Hydreigon, Virizion, Scrafty, Lucario, Mienshao, and Machamp. Also Quagsire. Oh also pretty much anything with Substitute that outspeeds it.

That's quite the list. It's better to use something that isn't dead weight against a ton of stuff.

And you don't get it, do you. Tiers are based upon two things -- usage stats and suspect voting. PO and Smogon don't have anywhere the same memberbase, but they have pretty much the same OU tiers barring one or two changes because people soon figure out which pokemon suck and which don't, and they use the ones that don't suck. Get it?

hmm, as i said its a question of knowing how to use him, i'd never stay in front of a gengar, knowing the danger it becomes, gyarados activates defiant and he cant OHKO bisharp with one waterfall unless it has at least one boost, of course, normally i'd setup two swords dances on teams with fighting types, but it all depends on knowing how to use anything, scizor also hasnt lost its shine, only losing to volcarona and other rare sweepers

windsong

WEST SIDE
hmm, as i said its a question of knowing how to use him, i'd never stay in front of a gengar, knowing the danger it becomes, gyarados activates defiant and he cant OHKO bisharp with one waterfall unless it has at least one boost, of course, normally i'd setup two swords dances on teams with fighting types, but it all depends on knowing how to use anything, scizor also hasnt lost its shine, only losing to volcarona and other rare sweepers

So basically you're saying that if you are going to get two free turns to set up then you'll be able to beat stuff with it.

lol. That can be said for pretty much anything. Literally. However those things aren't pretty much a dead weight against half the metagame.

But if you don't trust me on this, direct all your complaints to two smogon users who help with tiering -- Aeroblacktyl and Jrrrrrrr. They will listen to all of your complaints and leave responses acknowledging your thoughts. So make a smogon account and post your complaints with the tiering system on their visitor message walls!!!!

vitorml

5th gen Legend
So basically you're saying that if you are going to get two free turns to set up then you'll be able to beat stuff with it.

lol. That can be said for pretty much anything. Literally. However those things aren't pretty much a dead weight against half the metagame.

But if you don't trust me on this, direct all your complaints to two smogon users who help with tiering -- Aeroblacktyl and Jrrrrrrr. They will listen to all of your complaints and leave responses acknowledging your thoughts. So make a smogon account and post your complaints with the tiering system on their visitor message walls!!!!

i already did complain, when i used to like smogon, but i dont like for some other reasons, and i didnt say i need two turns, only one SD can OHKO most counters to it, i meant you gotta know how to use it

windsong

WEST SIDE
i already did complain, when i used to like smogon, but i dont like for some other reasons, and i didnt say i need two turns, only one SD can OHKO most counters to it, i meant you gotta know how to use it

"normally i'd set up two swords dances on teams with fighting types"

That's two turns.

And no, with one SD, you can't ohko most counters to it. All common OU fighting types beat it even at +2, Dark Types that outspeed beat it at +2, stuff with Substitute that outspeeds beats it even at +2...etc. And lol don't talk to me about not knowing how to use SD Bisharp, I've hit the top 10 and better on Smogon UU using teams with it.

vitorml

5th gen Legend
"normally i'd set up two swords dances on teams with fighting types"

That's two turns.

And no, with one SD, you can't ohko most counters to it. All common OU fighting types beat it even at +2, Dark Types that outspeed beat it at +2, stuff with Substitute that outspeeds beats it even at +2...etc. And lol don't talk to me about not knowing how to use SD Bisharp, I've hit the top 10 and better on Smogon UU using teams with it.

oooh no you're right, however i made my tests and he surely OHKOs bulky volcaronas and other stuff, but i see your point, depending on who's using it bisharp can suck a lot

girazard

IT'S A TRAP!!!
BTW...look at his sig. And he bashes Smogon.

Cometk

west side
Has Thundurus been suspected by Smogon yet?

Last round it was nominated but user Lolcat swayed the vote in favor of not ban. This round has been really hazy for the voting process because of all the server downtime. It was supposed to end July 25th, but the server was down at that time. Nobody's really taken action since then.

bugcatchersdream

is not a moron
Ah. I would have liked for it to be banned.

As for Bisharp, He COULD be decent as a scarfed revenge killer, But even then he's outclassed by other mons like Heracross. Also, he's 4x weak to the omnipresent Fighting type, which really hurts him. Tyranitar, the only OU pokemon that has this handicap, is really only used to set up sand. I suppose he could be used in LU, but he's outclassed by just about everything in OU.

Also, Smogon is NOT full of Noobs. A lott of the people there are experienced veterans of competitive battling. Just look at the Smogon League. Some of their members were in the VGC 2011 World championships. Smogon is not for noobs.

Gen1Trainer

I think lapras is a beast of a pokemon. Like he has boltbeam surf and ice shard and 2 good abilties. Shell armour is an anti hax beast. Lapras is also ok in trick room and has good bulk. People should use him more. His cry is awesome too its like laaaaaa

Status
Not open for further replies.