• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official Metagame Updates and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
nah they're just a bunch of simpleminded noobs
Not really they're just really strict when it comes down to it and they cuss a lot.

all people gotta learn is get out of smogon's narrow vision and try to make their own sets
That's what custom sets are for.

I got banned from Smogon forums today.

hmm, as i said its a question of knowing how to use him, i'd never stay in front of a gengar, knowing the danger it becomes, gyarados activates defiant and he cant OHKO bisharp with one waterfall unless it has at least one boost, of course, normally i'd setup two swords dances on teams with fighting types, but it all depends on knowing how to use anything, scizor also hasnt lost its shine, only losing to volcarona and other rare sweepers

Okay, let me first say that I LOVE Bisharp. I've been very succesful with Bisharp, and he's easily one of my favorite pokemon. Almost every time I use him, I am able to put a significant dent into the foes team...

However..

Bisharp does have serious flaws. He's got only average speed, a very poor typing for today's metagame, and his movepool is full of weak-ish moves. Theres a reason he's UU and not OU, and it's because of those critical factors.
Can he be used well? Absolutely.
Can everyone use him well? No.
Is he easy to find synergy with? Not really.

Case by case examples prove very little. I, myself, have a lot of success using Bisharp, but more often than not, I see Bisharp fall quickly in OU matches. Being able to use a Pokemon well only matters in the majority, not in the minority.

As for Bisharp, He COULD be decent as a scarfed revenge killer, But even then he's outclassed by other mons like Heracross. Also, he's 4x weak to the omnipresent Fighting type, which really hurts him. Tyranitar, the only OU pokemon that has this handicap, is really only used to set up sand. I suppose he could be used in LU, but he's outclassed by just about everything in OU.

Yeah, he'd be way better as a Scarfer if he got Hi Jump Kick or Close Combat. To be honest, I'm not too sure why he DOESNT get those..

bugcatchersdream

is not a moron
Can he be used well? Absolutely.
Can everyone use him well? No.
Is he easy to find synergy with? Not really.
I don't mean to insult your logic, which is completely correct, but this can be said for just about any Pokemon not already in OU or Ubers. Just look at any warstory. For example, I've managed to sweep an OU team with a Chatot. Of course, I was battling a real noob, but you get the point. Any Pokemon can be used effectively in standard play if you know how to use it correctly.

artbomber_97

Ultimate Aritist
I think lapras is a beast of a pokemon. Like he has boltbeam surf and ice shard and 2 good abilties. Shell armour is an anti hax beast. Lapras is also ok in trick room and has good bulk. People should use him more. His cry is awesome too its like laaaaaa
I don't think it's that much of a beast, since ICE type -> Stealth Rock weak. Besides, its stats, aside from HP, are kinda subpar. But still, it has Water Absorb, BoltBeam and OK bulk, it can sometimes be useful in the lower tiers.

hmm regardless of how smogon is totally made of noobs who want to control wifi, i'd like to know your opinion about some pokémon who are underestimated, my example being bisharp, no one sees him as an epic sweeper and potential revenge killer?
You may think Smogon is made of noobs, fine, if that's your opinion. But don't go around posting stuff that will annoy other people. I've stated in the first post of this thread, you shouldn't turn this into an argue on whether Smogon is good or not. Because good or bad, they've contributed a lot to the Competitive Battling society since the early days of 1st generation, and there are many passionate and Pokemon-loving people there. We, as fellow Pokemon lovers, shouldn't judge them, because like I said, good or bad, they've contributed more than enough, don't you think?

In case anyone didn't see, it was announced earlier today on Smogon that the current OU suspect round will end two weeks from today, and suspect nomination will begin. A week after that will be the official vote, and we'll finally be able to see the much anticipated decision on the fate of Thundurus (and perhaps others).

Generic User Name

In case anyone didn't see, it was announced earlier today on Smogon that the current OU suspect round will end two weeks from today, and suspect nomination will begin. A week after that will be the official vote, and we'll finally be able to see the much anticipated decision on the fate of Thundurus (and perhaps others).

I can't wait for this. I haven't used Thunderus yet, but I was planning to...

Cometk

west side

I can't ****ing wait. I've been over 1400 twice at the end of two suspect rounds but never over 1450. I'm currently sitting at 1371, and I swear to god this is the round I get over the hump.

AudinoGlitch

Weird Person

I hope they consider banning the Toad so non-rain teams can win, although sand teams will then have their run of the place.

windsong

WEST SIDE
I hope they consider banning the Toad so non-rain teams can win, although sand teams will then have their run of the place.

Why would they ban Politoed???????

They already have Drizzle + SS banned, and without Swift Swim, Drizzle isn't particularly broken.

AudinoGlitch

Weird Person
Why would they ban Politoed???????

They already have Drizzle + SS banned, and without Swift Swim, Drizzle isn't particularly broken.

Let me list the non-water Pokemon that abuse rain to death.
Ferrothorn
Thunderous
Tornadous
Dragonite
Scizor
Forrtress
Breloom

and then there's the water types, which are over a fifth of the Pokedex.

Let me list the non-water Pokemon that abuse rain to death.
Ferrothorn
Thunderous
Tornadous
Dragonite
Scizor
Forrtress
Breloom

and then there's the water types, which are over a fifth of the Pokedex.

What, no Latios or Jirachi?

Ferrothorn gets a smaller Fire weakness. Not near enough to be broken.

Thundurus is the closest thing to being banned now, and he's honestly broken even without Rain.

Tornadus gets a boost to Hurricane's accuracy. Yay...

Dragonite's main Rain abusing set is walled by various special walls.

Scizor and Forretress get a smaller Fire weakness, but are still beaten by about the same things as in non-Rain.

Breloom doesn't abuse Rain...

None of those things you mentioned (besides Thundurus) are broken in Rain. Drizzle + Swift Swim was the main problem, and it's not even an issue now.

AudinoGlitch

Weird Person
Rain itself is broken.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Rain itself is broken.
And without a doubt Sand would own OU if Drizzle was eliminated. Just stick more Grass and Electric pokemon, or better yet a Swift Swimmer, and Rain will stop being a problem for you.

How does Breloom abuse rain?

It removes it's Fire weakness sure, but it's got several others. :/
The best way Breloom can abuse Rain is by abusing other Rain team Water pokemon.

windsong

WEST SIDE
Rain itself is broken.

r o f l

just because none of your teams can handle rain doesn't make it broken.

And with that list of Rain abusers you posted? Fun fact, I can slap together a list of sun abusers in literally 30 seconds that's twice as long and other than that list all you've done is post "rain is broken!1!1!" basically.

(ps here's the list in case you were wondering)

chandelure
heatran
venusaur
infernape
darmanitan
tangrowth
lilligant
sawsbuck
victreebell
shiftry
volcarona
most stuff weak to water also abuse sun to the same degree scizor, ferro, and forry abuse rain

multi-scale

For those who claim Scizor, Ferrorthorn, and Forretress abuse rain, that is not true. They don't have anything to abuse rain, they just are less weak to fire, and frankly, if you can't OHKO them with a 2x effective, you should probably change your team a little. Timid Genesect with flamethrower and 252 Sp. Attack Evs OHKos all three in rain, which means Salamence, Chandelure, and tons of other things can still OHKO. Breloom is more of a rain counter than abuser. The only way Dragonite can abuse rain is a special set, and Blissey and Chansey troll all over it, not to mention the fact that it's pretty slow. Thundurus is amazing without rain anyway. Thundurus still gets walled by the pink blobs, and even if it kills Hammer Arm, it's almost asking to be outsped and killed. Rain is the only thing from keeping sand from dominating the metagame, and no sand abusers have been banned. Rain is not broken. The huge amount of water pokemon can basically be killed with TBolt and Grass Knot.

BugZ

Look Left------>
i just found out about the zoroark event with snarl and i plan on getting it, are there any sets that i could use it with?

R4GEKILL!!!

Me So Thorny
I speak for everyone who dosen't run rain when I say Thundurus can eat a dick. Easily counterable? Sure. Broken? I'd say yes to that.

GOLDENCRS

I'm a f***** Ponyta
I speak for everyone who dosen't run rain when I say Thundurus can eat a dick. Easily counterable? Sure. Broken? I'd say yes to that.

But it's so fun sweeping noobs with him :(

Status
Not open for further replies.