• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck to those still hunting.

The last few days have yielded a few shinies for me. I caught a shiny Xatu in FS, which was exactly what I was looking for. I found a shiny Volbeat on route 7 while hunting Roselia and Illumise. It's my second one, but neither will be trained. And finally, last night I found another shiny Mienshao on White 2. I now have doubles of almost everything on the route where Bouffalant is found, so I am switching to another target. I am trying to MM Bouffalant on Y.

EDIT: And I just found a shiny Croagunk on route 7. Still not what I was looking for and another duplicate. Oh well, back to hunting.

Last edited:

I Pink Elephant

Shiny Hunter
Congratulations on all the wonderful shines that have been caught since I last posted! :D

I have taken a brake from my hunting for the last month or so, and have just started a new shiny hunt. This time it is for a Whismur. Exploud is a wonderful looking Pokemon. I have just managed to breed a 6IV female, which goes well with my 5IV Japanese Monferno male. Not sure how many eggs I am up to now, because instead of storing the hatched Pokemon I am letting them go as soon as they born (I still have hundreds of Goomy and Meditite stored in my Bank...)

This brings me to a little question... do you guys think it would be a viable action to try breeding a shiny Pokemon without using the Masuda method? I ask because I have decided that my next shiny hunt, after Whismur, will be a Shieldon. I really want a good IV Bastiodon that I can use in battle, but I am having a little bit of trouble finding a 5IV foreign 'Monster' Pokemon or Shieldon. I know it could be a very tedious and long hunt, but it could be worth it!

Last edited:

gamer_legend

Ha! You're like me. Hunting for Shiny Mewtwo. :) ... I'm having a tricky job of it.

Congrats to everyone on recent shinies but special shouts to Cyberra on has'ing blue spider :p and ThunderKnightSilver on what I think could be the best shiny starter sprite out of all gens.

So anyway, I have knocked off 2 birds with my latest as I had been wanting to do a horde hunt, and where I did it means I can say community hunt complete!.

After 276 HEs, a lubbly Seviper tried to bite my head off, but I was not having any antics from a snake;

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o709/stickit2themon/IMG_0995_zps2ba8d7b9.jpg

http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o709/stickit2themon/IMG_0996_zps56b38aeb.jpg

I'll probably continue with a combination of BQ hunts and Tepig SRs now, so might be a lil while till I next post (hopefully not). Good luck on all your hunts.

Last edited:
Not much shiny news from me, but I want to get something off my chest here.. I know this will likely offend a lot of people, but I've been wanting to say this for a few weeks now, and I feel I should be free to express my opinion. In no way does this apply to everyone here, so dont feel too offended if I'm obviously not talking about you. =]

Why is it that a lot of shiny hunters these days seem to think theyre entitled to shinies way below the odds? When I started hunting, the community would see anything below a 7k hunt as very quick, as a surprise, as something to celebrate! Now all I see is entitled kids thinking they deserve a shiny after a few encounters or resets.. That's just not how it works you guys!! You need to keep the odds in mind! Anything you get thats below the odds should feel like an amazing gift you're getting. You newer hunters (generalised statement, you'll know if I mean you or not, obviously not everyone is like this.) seem to want shinies handed to you on a silver platter, to the point where you get sad if you dont get something after a day of hunting. Where has the old spirit gone? Where has the idea of actually enjoying the hunt gone? If you dont enjoy the hunt, it might be a better idea to RNG your shinies to be honest. Cause having this defeatist attitude about something you should've known can take a very long while.. it's just no good really. It not good for your own peace of mind, its not good for the encouragement of others, its not good for the shiny hunting community.

Remember, if something has a chance of 1 in 8000 of being shiny, you cant expect it to shine for you at 1k encounters. If you do, you'll very likely be left disappointed and discouraged. Where if you approached your hunt expecting it to go over the odds, you'll be thrilled to bits if it does shine for you relatively quickly! Your mindset changes a lot about how your hunt will make you feel, so if you approach it with a positie attitude, and with patience, you'll end up feeling a lot more satisfaction from a completed hunt. And if your hunt does go long and over the odds, sure that is discouraging, but know you'll always end up getting it if you just dont give up. I know of someone here that didnt quit her Charmander hunt, and ended up getting it at some point after 400k SRs. That is some hardcore dedication, and I can only imagine the joy she must've felt when she finally got that to shine. Just goes to show that it does pay off in the end.

Again, I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but this seems to really be the new trend and I felt I needed to speak my mind.

I almost feel like this is directed to me lol, but yeah I feel ya. We're just a bunch of spoiled brats, it's because of the increased odds in XY especially FS/CF

And congrats to Cyberra(as well as good luck on ladyba) and ThunderKnightSilver
maybe after I get this pokemon i'll count my next hunt... it's hatching eggs so it isn't that hard to count (5,10,15...), I think I even have an empty box

Blasting Toise

Shiny Skiddo appeared from a chain of 38 or 39 or so- but she came from non-shiny patch (?). I was really surprised. Tried to find a shiny patch after her but chain lasted 56 skiddos and no shiny patch or other shiny came and then I accidentally touched the rollerskate-pad....

Still i found what I was looking for but anyone know if that was chained shiny or totally random shiny? I don't really understand how pokeradar works in this generation- like the random music change- thing. I got that upbeat music at around 23 skiddos and then it went away without shinies. Anyone know what it means when music changes?

It may be possible that in this gen long chain also increases the possibility of finding a shiny from non-shiny patch. I dunno but I'm happy to have Shiny Skiddo now- she also has 31 IV:s in speed and HP- not bad.

Still I want to see a shiny patch sometime- I think I try Slowpoke next- Always wanted shiny Slowbro.

My Pawniard-project in White 2 is not fruitfult though. Masuda-method with 700 pawniards or so and no shiny yet...

rovert

Exploding Biscuits!!
Shiny Skiddo appeared from a chain of 38 or 39 or so- but she came from non-shiny patch (?). I was really surprised. Tried to find a shiny patch after her but chain lasted 56 skiddos and no shiny patch or other shiny came and then I accidentally touched the rollerskate-pad....

Still i found what I was looking for but anyone know if that was chained shiny or totally random shiny? I don't really understand how pokeradar works in this generation- like the random music change- thing. I got that upbeat music at around 23 skiddos and then it went away without shinies. Anyone know what it means when music changes?

It may be possible that in this gen long chain also increases the possibility of finding a shiny from non-shiny patch. I dunno but I'm happy to have Shiny Skiddo now- she also has 31 IV:s in speed and HP- not bad.

Still I want to see a shiny patch sometime- I think I try Slowpoke next- Always wanted shiny Slowbro.

My Pawniard-project in White 2 is not fruitfult though. Masuda-method with 700 pawniards or so and no shiny yet...

I personally don't know much about chaining in XY, but from what I've seen and heard, having a long chain shouldn't effect the odds of finding a shiny in normal grass. Additionally, most people do not know what the special music means specifically. Finally, there seems to be agreement that the games are coded to produce one shiny patch with a special IVs per chain (with the pokemon having one, two, or three flawless IVs the longer the chain gets before the shiny patch is produced).

As for my hunt, I'm working on filling MMing 11 with my secret hunt eggs. I'm going to get all 15 of my MMing boxes full of eggs and then hatch them. Hopefully turtwig didn't use up all my luck :p

HGaddict

<--- Newest Shiny
Okay, so I don't have enough time for a thourough congratulations right now, so congratulations to all the recent shinies! (Especially Shy, who is one of the few people who knows the pure happiness I am feeling right now.)

Also a huge thank you to everyone who gave me good luck over the past few weeks. It's helped out a lot.

Now to the news. I'm kind of still freaking out right now. After well over a year of constant hunting, 6 shiny uncatchable Pooch's, and nearly going insane, and after just a few days of beggining to duel hunt betwee Ruby and Sapphire, I have FINALLY found my shiny Treecko in my Ruby version! I honestly can't stop shaking and I've never been happier for a shiny in my life. I would like to give a huge thanks to Cpchris for all the support he has given me throughout this whole hunt, right down to the very first uncatchable Pooch. Now for some pictures:

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b595/Cofife1290/20140703_134724_zps25b7f78e.jpg

http://i1293.photobucket.com/albums/b595/Cofife1290/20140703_134852_zps53f43b14.jpg

As you can see, it has a careful nature (Can someone tell me whether that is a good nature for Treecko or not?). I'm going to spend a bit of time training Treecko and I'm going to beat the first gym, then I'm off to do my second hunt in this BQ, which will probably be a Pooch reclaim. It'll be in the route with Ralts in the off-chance that I can get that as well. Thanks again for all the good luck :)

Good luck on all your hunts! May they never be as long as the one I just completed.

Edit: Oh, and also: Hoenn starters complete! I now have all three shiny :)

Last edited:

Tattooed Tooth

So many flags!
Congrats on all the shinys, specially ThunderKnightSilver; and good luck to everyone, specially Cyberra and Cpchris.

As you can see, it has a careful nature (Can someone tell me whether that is a good nature for Treecko or not?).

Sceptile is good both physically and specially, but wouldn't benefit of a +Def/Sp.Def nature.
But Swords Dance isn't a TM on gen 3... <.<
So... careful isn't good, but isn't so bad.

Small update on my Cottonee: 70 eggs hatched, and nothing yet as expected. :p
But I managed to clean some boxes, so I'm able accumulate eggs now! I'm going to hunt more seriously tomorrow while people go crazy for the world cup soccer match. >.>

professorj15

You guys, HE CAME BACK!!!!!

After Graveler blew up on me a couple of days ago, I've been training in that area getting my pokemon ready for Lugia, in what I will now refer to as the Great Graveler Massacre '14. Haha another shiny pops up, not even 1000 REs later. After snapping a pic, I got down to business. Switched into my Damp Poliwhirl. Graveler doesn't try to explode but uses Rollout. My Quick Ball doesn't work. Rollout begins to rack up some serious damage on Poliwhirl and I start to panic. Then I realize that he's trapped in using Rollout, at least for a few more turns, so I switched out to my Lantern to eat the next Rollout. I threw an ultra ball and I caught him!!!!! Here's a pic from my instagram: win.jpg

Thank you so much to everyone who offered me kind words of support throughout this week--that meant so much to me! I also feel so fortunate that my game was kind to me and rewarded me with this shiny after such a short amount of time. Next up is SR-ing for Lugia, and I am ready for the long haul on that one!! Good luck to everyone hunting, and congrats on the recent shinies (nice work, HGaddict!)

Shy

★★★★★
Hey everyone! Haven't posted in a bit. I've been breeding a lot recently. I just now reached 700 eggs hatched since my last Masuda shiny. I'm also nearly done EV training my Combusken. 1000+ RE thus far. (EV training in earlier gens is just horrible compared to the luxury of horde battles in XY!) Once I've finished EV training I will probably casually make my way over to Granite Cave where I would definitely want BQ # 2 to come from. That cave has so many amazing potential shinies. (Aron being the most common!) Lastly, Mudkip stands at SR 2,505. Actually, I think once I've finished EV training Combusken I may put that on hold till I've gotten Mudkip to shine. In the mean time I may go back to HG/SS. I haven't touched those games in awhile. This time I don't care how many phases I have to do, but I will SR my first shiny Cyndaquil starter and thus complete the trio.

A blanket congratulatory to any shinies obtained since my last post. Especially to HGaddict on Treecko (Congratulations on getting that stubborn Treecko to finally shine! You deserved it many times over. Good luck with your Pooch reclaim!), Cyberra on Spinarak (Good luck with Ledyba as well!), ThunderKnightSilver on Totodile (Aren't you glad you didn't give up on it? ;)), The Prince of May on Marill, and Storm_Dragoon on Spearow (Your luck ceases to amaze me).

Good luck with all your hunts!

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Important Note

What do you all think if I added more locations for the CH? Since there are other beach areas.......

The locations I'm thinking to add are:

* Mossdepp City (R/S/E), its beach is only place to obtain Pokemon there anyway
* Route 213 (D/P/Pt), it's also a beach
* Route 13 (B/W/B2/W2), also a beach
* Cyllage City & Ambrette Town (X/Y), for the same reason as Lilycove and Mossdepp, Fossil SR-ing in Ambrette doesn't count due to not being an actual beach hunt.
* Azure Bay (X/Y), also a beach area

If all/most of you are okay with the addition, I'll add them in. If not, then I'll keep the CH as it is right now.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member

I see, that's interesting as I've heard that during B2/W2 era the RNG abusers and the people who checked the game's internal data said it cannot be shiny.

Anyway

Weedle shines after 396 eggs, which means I now can move to my next MM target, Shiny Heatmor in a Dive Ball :D

[img139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/thebee_zps3ed43b76.jpg[/img139]

Unfortunately, just like my Shiny Wurmple, despite using a HA parent the shiny worm ends up having its normal ability.....oh well, a shiny is a shiny~

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Cyberra on Spinarak, ThunderKnightSilver on Totodile, maldoror on Volbeat and Mienfoo, Mijuwott on Oshawott, HGaddict on Treecko, professorj15 on Graveler, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks, Keyblade_Cub and Tattooed Tooth :)

------------

I've been really busy today and I haven't had much motivation to hunt, but I got a couple hundered SR's done today. But oh man, this hunt is really pushing me to my limit. 3305 SR's, with 9915 starters seem in total. By far, much more frustrating than my Chespin or Pumpkaboo hunt by far. I'm thinking that once I get to 4000 SR's i'm just going to give up. I've heard of people getting these things in under 700 SR's. So obviously i'll probably never get a shiny starter at this point. I don't even know why I ever thought it would be a good idea to start a BQ.

I'm so sorry about the rant, this hunt is just getting extremely discouraging, disappointing, sad, and I just don't know what to do. I probably really have no room to complain though, considering i'm sure that there have been SR Johto starter hunts that have gone on for much longer.

You’re right about both things: I’ve known of a couple people who have gone over 10k for a single Johto starter! And I’ve also seen someone get one of each Johto starter in under 300 combined SRs…Everyone gets lucky sometimes. But if you try and judge all your own hunts and base your expectations solely on some others’ exceptionally lucky hunts, you may as well say, “Hi, Disappointment, please join me on all my hunts!”

I mean hey, just look at some of your own successful hunts! Lots of people on this thread go over 1k or 2k or some even over 5k or 7k eggs while MMing – but they aren’t just saying “Well ThunderKnight got his Froakie in 52 eggs, so where’s my shiny?” You’ve certainly seen luck for yourself, but luck doesn’t stay forever for anyone ;) Use your own past success as motivation, including this Johto starter!

And don’t forget, there are certainly a fair few people on this very thread who currently have some hunts erring on the rough side – you’re definitely in good company with facing longer hunts :) We all know what each other is going through. Congrats again on your awesome new find!

------------

I did another 500 REs and 400 SRs today. Platinum is at 11,200 REs, Black 2 is at 2,000 REs, and HeartGold is at 12,500 SRs.

Part of me just wants to stay at Mistralton Cave for a few phases rather than switch between locations, mainly because if I get duplicates in the process, I’ll want to evolve the strongest one, and if I space the phases out longer by going to new locations in between, then I have to wait longer to see if I get duplicates which means I have to wait to evolve them into really awesome shinies =\ But I also really want to mix it up by switching around to the other places…

Anyways, I’m working a ‘double’ tomorrow…Going in at 2 to open, which’ll probably take ~1.5-2 hours, and then I go back at 5. Not sure how busy it’ll be given it’s Independence Day, so maybe I’ll have time to hunt afterwards, maybe not. And there’s always the chance I’ll have drinks with my co-workers or hang out with friends after, but I guess I still have plenty of time to hunt before work.

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, LullabyVullaby, Shadowkrow, ChaoticInverse, Roseheart95, Keane, Cyberra, and Lunafloon)!

ShinyMisty

This person is dead.
Before posting, I want to apologize for being so butt hurt lately about my Purrloin hunt. I am just a little thrown for a loop because of all the other hunts being so quick for me. I do apologize for being so harsh as of late. I will try to keep my negativity at a minimum.

Important Note

What do you all think if I added more locations for the CH? Since there are other beach areas.......

The locations I'm thinking to add are:

* Mossdepp City (R/S/E), its beach is only place to obtain Pokemon there anyway
* Route 213 (D/P/Pt), it's also a beach
* Route 13 (B/W/B2/W2), also a beach
* Cyllage City & Ambrette Town (X/Y), for the same reason as Lilycove and Mossdepp, Fossil SR-ing in Ambrette doesn't count due to not being an actual beach hunt.
* Azure Bay (X/Y), also a beach area

If all/most of you are okay with the addition, I'll add them in. If not, then I'll keep the CH as it is right now.

Sure. Why not. I might have said "I'll not be doing this CH" ...but why be so negative? I'll be hunting in X/Y, as I don't seem to have any games close enough to the locations at the moment.

So...I just got done hatching 300 eggs worth of Purrloin, making about 1,375 eggs in my belt.
Still nothing.

So I am taking a small break (once again) on Purrloin, to change the scenery and try my hand on this months CH. I am aiming heavily on Mienfoo, though Bagon, Absol, and Inkey will also be nice. I'll be alright with any hunt, though.

And I have started hunting Wumple on Route 101 in both Sapphire and Ruby. About 74 encounters in when my Ruby froze. Wonderful...
I am hunting Wumple in particular because that was the first shiny I have encountered, and I lost him as well.

I also am planning on Soft Resetting for a Shiny Squirtle on Pokemon Fire Red, along with doing a badge quest along with it.

So...off to hunting.
Congrats to everyone, good luck, and I hope everyone has a nice day. (No negative comments will keep me down!!)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I did many random encounters for Shinies on Y version this afternoon and evening; I must've encountered like around 180 to 200 wild Pokemon on Route 4, which was super tedious. I also worked on my Shiny Electrike Masuda Method hunt a little bit more, but I barely hatched 20 eggs. I flopped on that today. :c

Shido-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BWaJM3Jqu0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4Pf639Wgrg

It isn't. As for the Community Hunt I'm not participating this month so I'd leave that decision to the ones that are.

This guy also has shiny locked Kyurem. So I think its safe to say that the two jellies are still shiny locked except for hackers.

AS for me CH COMPLETE

Dragalge , shellder , quilfish and two skrelps(assuming the second skrelp counts). I would upload pics but I am getting frustrated with this image uploader serebii uses. It wont let me up pics. I resize my pics and some work others dont, then it says I can only add one pic per post even though I have seen people post multiple pics. Any suggestions are welcomed.

I also wouldnt mind adding the extra areas.

Attachments

• dragalge.jpg
    dragalge.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 7

Shy

★★★★★
This guy also has shiny locked Kyurem. So I think its safe to say that the two jellies are still shiny locked except for hackers.

Who knows. I'm not sure about the guy, but Brooke and Willow (TheShinyTwins) are pretty trustworthy in my opinion.

Anyways, I'm starting up my Soulsilver first. I'm hoping for a Chikorita or Cyndaquil (I obviously want Cyndaquil the most), but if I get another Chikorita (That would make it my 5th Chikorita!) then that just means I'll be doing phases for Cyndaquil on my Heartgold version.

All the best.