• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

searing light dragon

Dragon Trainer
Ran into a shiny Absol on a DexNav chain of 5. Well that makes three shinies on Alpha Sapphire so far. A Numel during my initial play through, a Larvesta while checking out a Mirage Spot, and now an Absol. Not bad for not having the shiny charm yet.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I have never naturally encountered a shiny before in my life :( are all of the legendaries shiny locked? I heard something about Yveltal/Xerneas being shiny locked, which would suck, since I was planning on SRing for Yveltal on my second play-through.

Poképro1992

Pokémon Pro
I have never naturally encountered a shiny before in my life :( are all of the legendaries shiny locked? I heard something about Yveltal/Xerneas being shiny locked, which would suck, since I was planning on SRing for Yveltal on my second play-through.

Depends on the game you are playing:

For X and Y Xerneas, Yveltal, Snorlax on the bridge, Mewtwo and the legendary birds are locked.

For ORAS Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza and Deoxys are locked.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
Depends on the game you are playing:

For X and Y Xerneas, Yveltal, Snorlax on the bridge, Mewtwo and the legendary birds are locked.

For ORAS Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza and Deoxys are locked.
Do you have any idea why GF does that? I really want to catch myself a shiny Yveltal/Xerneas… How do they expect us to have one legitimately? Do you think they're saving them for a possible Z version?

Zero1999

They lock them for storyline purpose

Sito

Shiny Breeder
Ok, I am being WAAAY to lucky, now I fear I may die or something horrible will happen.
Just found shiny latios, its the eon ticket one. Just caught him in a Luxury Ball, was a really easy catch xD
Its Timid, so my Synch worked. Just checked its IVs, IVs: 30, 31 / 17, 18, 19 / 30, 31 / 0 - 3 / 31 / 20 - 23. Cannot believe I found another shiny legendary today o_O!
Cannot complain about IVs because of really fast hunts!
Good luck to everyone on their hunts and gratz to all the new shinies :D

Last edited:

Zero1999

I don't understand your perspective. To the contrary, the 2015 XY movie will feature a shiny Rayquaza, which just seems to throw it in our faces...

Have you played Black/White?, I am going to explain in a simple manner

When you awaken your Dragon you see that they are in their original color, now you are probably saying" What are you meaning?" well, what i am telling you is that in that cutscene, you saw Reshiram/Zekrom color is non-shiny, but dont you think is a bit weird that in the cutscene they are in their original color, and now different color?. Thats probably why Gamefreak locked them, same for Xerneas/Yveltal

Ulicies

Mild Monk
Have you played Black/White?, I am going to explain in a simple manner

When you awaken your Dragon you see that they are in their original color, now you are probably saying" What are you meaning?" well, what i am telling you is that in that cutscene, you saw Reshiram/Zekrom color is non-shiny, but dont you think is a bit weird that in the cutscene they are in their original color, and now different color?. Thats probably why Gamefreak locked them, same for Xerneas/Yveltal
It wouldn't be the first inconsistency with coloring (chibi/mini forms of Pokemon don't show shiny colors either), but I guess that's a good point.

SurrealistSmeargle

It wouldn't be the first inconsistency with coloring (chibi/mini forms of Pokemon don't show shiny colors either), but I guess that's a good point.
I think they were aiming towards removing these inconsistencies in X&Y, which is why everything that you see in the overworld is shiny-locked. But then they backtracked (thankfully) in ORAS, even removing the lock on the Latis who you clearly see and even -ride- in the overworld.

Speaking of which, I've just gotten myself the Shiny Charm on AS (and randomly recieving a shiny Magmortar for my Stantler on the GTS), and have begun my hunt for a shiny Latios (to match my Latias from Soul Silver). I just wanted to double check, does the Run-Away method work for obtaining a shiny Latios, or will I need to soft reset?

Congratulations to everyone else with successful shiny news! And good luck to those still hunting!

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I think they were aiming towards removing these inconsistencies in X&Y, which is why everything that you see in the overworld is shiny-locked. But then they backtracked (thankfully) in ORAS, even removing the lock on the Latis who you clearly see and even -ride- in the overworld.

Speaking of which, I've just gotten myself the Shiny Charm on AS (and randomly recieving a shiny Magmortar for my Stantler on the GTS), and have begun my hunt for a shiny Latios (to match my Latias from Soul Silver). I just wanted to double check, does the Run-Away method work for obtaining a shiny Latios, or will I need to soft reset?

Congratulations to everyone else with successful shiny news! And good luck to those still hunting!

I've heard multiple people SRing at the Southern Island, but I haven't read anyone mentioning Run Away.

LucarioMan101

HGSS ftw!!!!!!
I literally just SRed over a Shiny Reshiram. I feel like such an idiot.

unicornhiccup

bye cruel people
I sr'd 5 times just because I kept killing the lugia then the 6th time it was shiny. Before I got the shiny charm. I also got a shiny lotad before the shiny charm. Then after I got the shiny charm I got a shiny plusle and zigzagoon after ten sweet scents. I dont know, my trainer id likes all the shinies that I dony try to hatch from eggs.

Cutty

Forever now
3,000 SRs later n still NO shiny Zekrom...

At some point I will stop to continue the game n start breeding for Community Hunt...

Maybe at 4k...

Congrats on new shinies~

Shiny Lord

Just got my 5th badgequest shiny for Omega Ruby. A shiny Froakie. Its male with protean ability and hasty nature. Hatched on the 91st egg. Proud of its power.

Cheeze IOW

Just caught myself a beautiful blue Ponyta after quite a few hours of using the Dexnav. Naughty nature, flame body and Thrash as her egg move, can't really ask for more than that!
P1000596.jpg

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
CH completion list updated. Tell me via VM/PM if I missed you. Don't just quote me on this thread, there's no notification for that ;)

Anyway, currently at more than 2000 encounters on my hunt for Shiny Eon Ticket Latias. And that's with Shiny Charm. I wonder if I can get her before Christmas.....

I'm using alternate method by the way, doing Run Aways then after running out of Poke Toy/Poke Doll/Fluffy Tail, I faint the Latias instead until I ran out of PP. Then get back to the city to restock and heal the PP, and then go back to Latias and do the same thing again, hoping a shiny would show up soon.

Aight WTF is going on with the Wynaut Egg from the Hot Springs old lady. The thing REFUSES to hatch. I HAVE to use hatch power for the Wynuat egg to hatch. Is this **** bugged or something? Cause if so there is no efficient way to hatch that egg cause you hatch it faster than you can regain OPowerOrbs.

Yeah, it seems that the thing has its own Egg Cycle that's about on par with Chansey eggs. I actually managed to hatch 5 starters before the thing finally hatched (this is without Hatching O-Power).

The Togepi Egg you got from her is also the same.

Hi all. No shiny news yet for me however I am trying to SR for shiny Reshiram. I have the shiny charm. I have done 6 hours worth of SRing (non-consecutive of course) but no shiny yet. I just wanted to ask if I had to complete the delta episode before shiny hunting for legendaries? As I have spent so long I was wondering if there was some sort of temporary shiny lock that would be gone once the delta episode is finished? Just a thought. I most likely am unlucky lol. Well congrats to all new shinies since my last post and good luck shiny hunters!

It's not necessary. I got my Shiny Reshiram before dealing with the E4, let alone Delta Episode :p

About the counting and stuff, I have a question: I saw someone who said an optimum would be 120 per hour, translating to 2 per minute. But I was once counting during my HG and found out I can do a RE in 15 seconds, or 4 per minute. This raised the question wether I count wrong or something. I count in my head, but I am sure not to overcount, e.g., when I forget where I was, I go down to the lowest number I can remember. So am I doing something wrong here, or am I just quick?

well, I know that at least from Gen 5 onward, it is always 2 SRs per minute.

I've heard multiple people SRing at the Southern Island, but I haven't read anyone mentioning Run Away.

Run Away method does work for the Eon Ticket Lati, someone else a few pages back did it. And even earlier than that, there's someone on reddit reporting that he got a shiny after over 700 RAs.

oarfish

#1 Lanturn Owner
So, I am currently EV training a Beedrill.
I am in Mt. Pyre, training its Attack.
....And a shiny Shuppet appeared.

I am attempting to catch it at the moment. I will edit this post soon.

Oooo. Critical capture.
I caught in in one repeat ball.

Last edited:

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
After what was a chain of 70 yesterday, and three broken chains today(kept bumping into the corners near the grass), i've managed to snag myself a most adorable Shiny Zorua

:D

[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/581E1C99-2B2C-4EC9-8785-159161A9E78F_zpsuu1o1ocg.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/179E2656-371E-4E7E-846C-A7A287034334_zpsjwehlrjn.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/99F9523E-69BA-4033-9217-EC5971CD7A1A_zps9gwyynfl.jpg[/IMG139]

I think after that i'm going to try some DexNav hunting for Shiny Shroomish. I need to get a whole host of decent sleepers+false swiper's, so am going to start with a real favourite of mine.

KzBreakdown

Tamer of Gyarados
Holy crap guys, Latios finally shone, let's see if I can catch him!

Caught it, felt too nervous not knowing how much PP he had left, so I resorted to one of my Master Balls (I managed to get a second one from wonder trade)

This also means I've completed my first ever community hunt!

Congrats on all the shinies guys!

Edit: I feel I should say that I was using the runaway method

Last edited: