• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Danisher

*raises hand* I've never gotten the shiny charm in any of my games, and I have successfully SRed ledyba in Y (27,800-something SRs), regice in Black 2 (10,964 SRs), and registeel and virizion in White 2 (46 SRs and 23,972 SRs respectively). Currently working on cresselia in White 2. After her will be kyurem, then terrakion, then latias.

Yeah so I guess there is no excuse, you just have to show some willpower and keep on trying! :)
Hopefully I'll post some good news on this thread soon!:)

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Oh and do we have a CH yet for January?

Nope, not yet. Any ideas? :p

EDIT#2: Since i haven't seen any posts about a CH yet, what does everyone think of an easy but corny CH, wherein since we're starting over a new year, would be to just locate at least 1 NEW shiny during the month of January? A Shiny Pokemon that you don't yet own.

That way most everyone should be able to start the new year off with a win :D

Hmm, anyone here agree with that?

------------------

Finally completed my living Dex sometime last week, and got the Shiny Charm. Immediately, I went to get my Synchronize Adamant Kirlia, and flew to the Fabled Cave ASAP! There was my journey of Zekrom shiny hunt. Thinking it would take forever, unbeknownst to me, the Thunder God has blessed unto me eternal luck! In under 100 Soft Resets and under 2 hours (I started sometime last week, but gave it another try tonight), the Zekrom shone a lustrous green! Turn after turn of no luck, I finally decided to use my one and only Master Ball before the beautiful black giant kills itself with Struggle. Hooray! Shiny Zekrom get! I call him Raijin in the name of the Japanese Thunder God. Look at the nature AND... Synchronize didn't work. I got a Mild (+SpAtk,-Defense), which undoubtedly SUUUUCKED, and has four 31 IVs (HP, SpAtk, SpDef, and Spe). Nevertheless, a shiny is a shiny, and I love my shiny green Zekrom!

Shiny Zekrom!

Unlucky, if that was a kyyurem that would be a perfect nature for kyyurem-B anyway I have started a hunt for a shiny heatran on the scorched slab and have reached 500 SRS so far. Good luck to everyone on their shiny hunts and congrats to everyone else on their recent shines.

........Zekrom can run a Mixed set, actually. Its base SAtk stat is not as low as people thought, it's actually only 30 points lower than its base Attack.

I got a Shiny Clamperl and a Shiny Steelix through GTS, but they are hacked :( I didn't know we could upload hacked Pokémon to the GTS.

How did you find out they were hacked?

------------------

anyway

My first 2015 shiny is.......this thing :p

[img139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/pory1_zpsb2cfc42f.jpg[/img139]

Shiny Porygon shows up on the 260th dexnav encounters. And of course it just has to be 1IV with no HA that shows up after 2 3IV HA Porygon :p

Caught it in a Dive Ball.

[img139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/pory2_zps0590e17f.jpg[/img139]

And my dexnav after that, showing the search level xD

[img139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/pory3_zps8ce28cf5.jpg[/img139]

Mestear

Shiny Hunter
Goddamit, i were Soft Resetting Articuno almost all day, and now he is shiny! Only 1 day of soft resets, this is my 3 shiny in this year!
[img139]http://s27.postimg.org/53fma2v43/goeye.png[/img139]
Yeah the nature not that cool, but he got perfect IV in def stats! Yay, im so happy, much luck

TheMaster327

Would have to be really honest about it being something you haven't caught before, as you'd need proof of all other shinies owned...

I was thinking about maybe a New Year = New Year Resolutions, where you hunt Pokémon that resolve conflict. Now, someone will have to compile a list of all of those, and probably we'll have to include the conflicting Pokémon as well to make up numbers. An example would be Lugia resolving conflict between Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres. Anyone willing to compile a list of this sort of thing?

No shiny news for me. Approaching 1k for Tornadus now :/

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
I don't know if I like the CH idea since it would be the most broad CH in awhile, I was thinking along the lines of either starter pokemon to represent the start of the year, or maybe catching a pokemon from the first route of any game.

EDIT: I completely agree with TheMaster327, but maybe to include pokemon that also create conflict or are associated with it like Absol, other legends like Tornadus and Thundurus. I would gladly look for any pokemon that apply.

Last edited:

Twilit Dragoon

*omnious thunderstorm*

I'm not overly fond of this idea, mostly because I already have so many shinies that I don't even know what I have and what I don't. If it involved getting new Hoenn shiny then I wouldn't mind this idea.

If you do go this route, I won't participate I guess.

I was thinking about maybe a New Year = New Year Resolutions, where you hunt Pokémon that resolve conflict. Now, someone will have to compile a list of all of those, and probably we'll have to include the conflicting Pokémon as well to make up numbers. An example would be Lugia resolving conflict between Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres. Anyone willing to compile a list of this sort of thing.

I like this idea, but the only Pokemon I can think of stopping a conflict are all legendary Pokemon, as they are the ones that tend to be more well known at causing/ending conflict.

~

Well this is the first time I've been able to get onto the computer since New Years Day. My flu got so bad that the only thing I've done lately is eat, bathroom breaks and sleep. Today is the first day that I've been feeling well enough that I'm able to hunt.

I've been randomly SRing for different legends most of the day, as well as dabbling about with Skitty on the DexNav, but no good attempts worth note(barring one attempt that I broke on 140 due to being a fail).

Right now I'm SRing for a shiny Uxie in Omega Ruby. So far, this is the only legend that I can currently get that I haven't hunted yet. I'm currently at 34 SRs for it, I'm actually debating on staying here until it shines. I'm still trying to recover from this nasty flu, so I'm not SRing at my usual speed, so its frustrating :p.

Congrats to new shinies guys, I'd name you individually but I'm already feeling my energy dropping :p.

Sydwinx

Queen of Hoopla
Well, I haven't posted here in a while. o3o Not much news with me..I did find a shiny reshiram a few weeks ago, with a timid nature. I'm really thrilled about that. o3o

Also, I noticed you guys were posting CH ideas...mind if I suggest one?

Well, I was thinking, the new year represents a new beginning. For pokemon, a new year can represent a new region....and for pokemon, a new year came in the form of Jhoto. And with this, came baby pokemon, a new twist to evolving pokemon. Maybe perhaps do a CH hunt that involves hunting the baby forms of pokemon? Or perhaps pokemon that you need a lisence to breeed their first evolution? I hope that makes some sort of sense. qq

Echo Nacyl

Congrats to everyone with new shinies!
So I just got my Shiny Charm on Sapphire, decided to DexNav for a few Synchronize Elgyem in hopes I'd get some useful natures for SRing Thundurus and Zekrom. About 47 into the chain, I was greeted with my first shiny of the year (as well as my first shiny on Sapphire). Not sure how I feel about Elgyem, but it's still a new shiny for my collection~

Bonus: I just checked and the shiny Elgyem will double as a Jolly Synchronizer. Woo!

Edit: Just got a shiny Zigzagoon while training up a Breloom in Ruby. Another new shiny for my collection.

Last edited:

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Shiny Lord on Turtwig and Chimchar, Jurpassic on Phanpy, Paraqua on Ponyta, HM02gon on Mienfoo, AvemFlamma on Chikorita, Psynergy on Bagon, Void Ventus on Zekrom, Blastonite on Suicune and Elgyem, Miguelostos on Giratina, Razorbadger on Baltoy, brunocosta1 on Combee, kirkeastment on Tentacool, DTentacle on Lotad, LilyValley on Swablu, ThEliteEmpoleon on Regirock, Swatski9 on Castform, Keane on Budew, KittyKitty3308 on Regirock, Lorde on Ariados, ohjeezitskim on Omanyte, brunocosta1 on Torchic, Nack Firestorm on Latias, Razorbadger on Treecko, razor fire on Foongus, Blasting Toise on Froakie, eiger on Electrike, Mestear on Articuno, Sydwinx on Reshiram, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the good luck, The Prince of May and Keane!

Better luck with the next Registeel, TheEliteEmpoleon :[

-----------

Since my last post, I’ve done 1k REs, 500 of those from today. My Black 2 is at 3,000 REs, Platinum at 14,000 REs, and HeartGold at 10,800 HBs. I keep wanting to see some shinies appear since it’s been almost 3 weeks since my last one, but then I remember I’ve only done 3k REs in that time >_> But at the very least, my Platinum and HG could shine :x

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, cocoadragon, MurderofKrow, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Lorde, Keane, Shy, Ruru_star, CosmicSparkles, Supremacy, Crimson Penguin, and Lunafloon)!

Jurpassic

The Site Jurpassic
Congrats to everyone on the new shinies!

I actually got another shiny today. I was doing my Y Wonderlocke and someone sent out a Level 100 Shiny Bellossom. It even has Pokerus. I was so shocked when I got it that all I said was "what" and then proceeded to silently stare for a minute. (and from what I can tell it's legit too!)

Last edited:

Iwanuq

Iwan
Congrats to everyone since my last post! I haven't been able to do much hunting these past couple of days but tonight I decided to do some hunting before going to bed well lo and behold my first shiny of the year decided to make its entrance which I am super excited for, after 539 run away encounters Shiny Latias decided to shine for me! Good luck to all those hunting!

Blackkyurem

First of all, Congrads to all the AWESOME Shinies (Shine on a beautiful Porygon and Mestear on the Articuno)

So, no shiny news for me, but bad news all around, firstly I lost my Pokemon X somewhere and I'm Pretty sure my SSB for the 3DS fell out of my pocket at a dollar store(Or it's under the couch).
I JUST GOT THAT FOR CHRISTMAS :(

Because of this, I've only been playing OR, Soo (For the 15th time)
I might restart my dreaded SS BQ?

Idk man, Idk.
Best of luck to everyone on their shinies, and plz give me luck on my finding!
(I really loved my lvl.100 Talonflame and how OP Link Was)

Edit: My brother has believed to have found SSb, so im good, Pokemon X plz return!

Last edited:

Zero1999

Congratz on your shinies guys! I have a little question, does Synchronize works on legends in Leaf Green/Fire Red?

No it doesn't work . Synchronize in 3rd Gen works on emerald with only wild pokemon but Legendaries nit

IndigoTribesman

Compassion Warrior
I haven't been on this thread in ages, congrats to everyone who has gotten a shiny recently.

Well, with SR'ing for shiny legendaries in OR/AS being an option, I have started a Legendary hunt for every possible shiny legendary in either game. This will take a while, but I really want to give this a try.

My first hunt was Cobalion, being one of the earliest Mirage Spot encounters. It only took me 614 resets. http://i.imgur.com/oGU2moN.jpg

Next, I went to get Terrakion which ended up taking me 1,296 resets with a Timid Nature -.- I still like it. http://imgur.com/a/xIlXl

I don't have a picture of this one, but after getting Terrakion, I went to explore the Mirage Islands that I had for the day and my first encounter was a Shiny Venomoth.

While waiting for Virizion to appear, I decided to hunt Heatran which I found in a miniscule 201 resets. It was a Calm nature. http://imgur.com/a/KBYrl

Currently, I am at 1,050 for Lugia.

Tagi

Well I'm slowly going crazy.
I have been hunting Shuppet in X FS from before Christmas. I have been trying to MM shiny Greninja before Christmas. I have been trying to SR Spiritomb in Pearl since before Christmas (expected this one to take a while).
I started to SR for Mudkip in OR since just after Christmas.
Finally just last Sunday in AS I happened upon crescent island so now I'm stuck SR there too.

I was doing counts with everything but it got depressing watching all the numbers go up so I stopped. Shiny drought making me crazy lol.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Yesterday evening I did about 75 more soft resets for my Shiny Rayquaza hunt on Ruby and another 65 or so soft resets for my Shiny Reshiram hunt as well last night. Then this morning I hatched two dozen Magby eggs for my Masuda Method hunt too. Good luck to everyone else on their Shiny hunts as well.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I just found a shiny female sneasel in the dark fs. She's mild and alert to sounds, with max IVs in HP and SPD but abysmal IVs in ATK and the ability Inner Focus. What do you guys think, is she worth training? I do want a shiny weavile for my dex, so I probably will be evolving her.

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/picture087_zps4e55a8ae.jpg[/img139]

This fs also has absol and vullaby, so I will be staying there and seeing what else will shine for me.

Cresselia is at 1,600 SRs so far. The hunt is young and I'm expecting her to play coy with me for the next month or so.

Staryu is being a pain in the butt at 925 eggs. I've already gone out and caught a normal female shellder in a dive ball for my next breeding project, one with Skill Link. Yes, I'm going to be evil and breed for a shiny Skill Link cloyster. After shellder I think I might go after oshawott instead of horsea.

Edit: Shiny staryu hatched at 1,059 eggs. Timid nature (I think that's good...) and takes plenty of siestas, with the ability Natural Cure. I'm very offensive-based so I'll be training it in SPD and SpATK. Will not be evolving it, as I'm not particularly fond of shiny starmie's colors.

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/picture089_zps33a15e14.jpg[/img139]

Last edited:

||Caboose||

Precision.
I've seen some people relate their trainer ID number to luck finding shinies. Are certain numbers better, and if so which ones?
There is such a rumour, but it's not proved to be so. According to what people say, you should go for a numbers like 75257 or simple numbers like 00016, i got ID 64246 but i don't think that helped me much. I have reseted for a shiny charmander over 15 000 times, for aerodactyl almost 4000 times, and only lapras took me 26 resets. Maybe ID does something in that field, but in a pair with Secret ID, which you won't know untill you catch a shiny.
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/6963/t1814284-science-mechanics-of-shiny-pokemon/ - read this article, that is the most interesting thing which you can find about Shinies and TIDs. Still, got early shiny with pretty sheatty ID XD

It's not a rumor, it's actually something that does exist, but isn't based on random numbers that look nice. Your ID along with something else called a secret ID are just a part that go into determining shininess. There's also the seed (which is found out by the date, time started down to the nanosecond in 6th gen, button presses, etc.), the encounter frame, and more, but you can go read smogon's RNG guide or project pokemon's RNG research if you want to know more about the topic.

I've recently finished the pokedex in Alpha Sapphire (my first time in any pokemon game) and got the shiny charm. On Thursday I decided to breed a shiny competitive team. I don't know how many eggs for each one since I never count, but when I battled someone, the stat counter said I had around 1600 eggs hatched.
The reason they're leveled so fast is because I fought the E4 to get them all to around 30 then I fought against lv 100 Blissey secret bases. I haven't checked the exact IV's either but they're all at least 5 perfect IVs. Lopunny was the only one I nicknamed because I'm bad at being creative. I RNG'd the Landorus in Black a while ago.

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/ppSPZzM.png[/img139]
[img139]http://i.imgur.com/wd06NG0.png[/img139]
[img139]http://i.imgur.com/f0C29v1.png[/img139]
[img139]http://i.imgur.com/KnXT5Nf.png[/img139]
[img139]http://i.imgur.com/9GLtZ7x.png[/img139]
[img139]http://i.imgur.com/k6e43a6.png[/img139]

I also started SRing the legends today and it only took around 20-30 minutes before Zekrom popped up!
I was watching Game Grumps when it appeared. The synch worked, so it's lonely with 3 perfect IVs. I don't count SR's either... I forgot how it feels to see a shiny pop up since I usually just RNG'd everything in 4th and 5th gen. It's a good feeling.

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/xWPQf6l.png[/img139]
[img139]http://i.imgur.com/Sg5ZsbX.png[/img139]

I've moved onto Giratina next. I've been SRing for at least two hours now.

ohjeezitskim

I did about 140 SRs today for Suicune. I wanted to do more, but I'm feeling sick still.
I started getting sick yesterday and barely did anything. Laid in my bed and bred some
pokes, but then fell asleep for a few hours. Feeling a little bit better than yesterday
but I'm still sick. My throat is what is mostly bothering me now - along with lady cramps -.-

I think to mix it up a bit, I may end up getting to 1,000 SRs for Suicune and then
maybe head over to Latios and do 1,000 RAs and just see who shines first?
It's a bit annoying with Suicune since it only appears after :40 minutes on the clock
to about :00, kinda a hassle when it's 1:10 and I want to start SRing but I have to
wait... Then usually forget and have to wait all over again lol

So total stands at 750 SRs for Suicune. Expecting this one to be the same or more
as Lugia ;-;