• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Martinzqx

Well the good news is that I've made it to 2000 sr's for shiny Zekrom. The bad news is that I have soft reset 2000 times and still no shiny! I'm hoping it shines soon!

Jeppo

Found a shiny Ralts while looking for synchronizers yesterday. Not really a good nature, but it's a shiny.

I've been looking for a shiny Eevee since then, after finding the right nature synchronizer. No luck so far.

*Murkrow

Bird trainer
I found a shiny bird while looking for a Pokémon that would help me catch another shiny that I could turn into a shiny bird!

[img139]http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff320/Hkrow/Shinies/P1040375_zpsff1432ca.jpg[/img139]

Last night I ended up booting up Y and going out to Azure Bay to find a HA Exeggcute. Probably less than 20 minutes and Wingull suddenly shined. Caught him in a Luxury Ball; he has Keen Eye and is Serious nature. I'm always happy to get another shiny bird, but part of me does wish that it could have been Slowpoke or Exeggcute that shined. :p

Finally caught my Exeggcute and today I ran him and Groudon threw my Blissey bases and the second run of the Elite 4. Desolate Land seems to boost Harvest to 100% so my new set up is: lead with Exeggutor, Skill Swap Harvest, use Bestow to give Tornadus a Leppa Berry, Stun Spore; bring in Farfetch'd, False Swipe to 1HP; bring in Groudon, Primal evolve and commence ball throwing. I've stocked up on 300 Ultra Balls, plus misc, plus the Master Ball should everything else fail.

10 hours SR'ing now, so roughly 600 SR's. No luck yet. Ah well. Hopefully he'll come before 1000 SR's.

_Edu

Shiny Hunter
Congrats on your new shinies!

I'm so jealous of everyone who has gotten a Mirage Spot shiny in less than 1,000 SR. :p

Good luck, people! Especially Martinzqk on your Zekrom and Lorde on your Reshiram.

Well the good news is that I've made it to 2000 sr's for shiny Zekrom. The bad news is that I have soft reset 2000 times and still no shiny! I'm hoping it shines soon!

I feel your pain, hope you can get it soon. I've SR around 1,100 times with no luck.

TheBuckeye11

Shiny Hunter
I only have 2 shines that are not event. Tyrunt and Kingler

ohjeezitskim

Many people must be really busy with the new year!
I noticed dramatic decrease in posts/uploads on Tumblr, YouTube, and here.
Quite boring if I do say so myself :p

I picked up a Treecko hunt. Which, I already have a shiny Treecko from
fifth gen, but of course since I wasn't into everstoning natures or
breeding parents with good egg moves... This on will be as such!
Guaranteed 5IVs w/ timid nature (EM of leaf storm and crunch but
don't plan on using them on his final moveset) I'm hoping he'll hatch
with his speed stat.

Most times when I'm breeding, my shiny always
miss out on HP or Speed. But Sceptile needs his speed!!
I'm collecting eggs and will be hatching them and I'll be at 255
by the end of the day!

Haven't progressed on Suicune though LOL.
Sorry, Suicune.

TheMaster327

Now at 4,050 SRs for Tornadus. So nearly at odds. Not really had much time to hunt recently due to high work commitment (working 4th January to 19th of January with only 11th and 12th off, so effectively 14 out of 16 days...)

Hope I get it soon... And a few days off ;)

Pluski

Thanks for the congratulations on my shiny legendaries!

Not much to report, but I've now reached 1111 SR's for Zekrom in Alpha Sapphire.

Good luck to everyone!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny zubat found while trolling hordes trying to find an Infiltrator zubat. I'm using the Substitute trick, since supposedly a zubat with Infiltrator would be able to hit my electrode (Soundproofer to avoid supersonic spam) right through the substitute. No luck so far...

Cresselia is at 3,300 SRs. Shellder is at 620 eggs.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Today I did almost 80 more SRs on my Shiny Reshiram hunt and I also did 55 soft resets for my Shiny Rayquaza hunt as well last night. I'm postponing my Shiny Magby MM hunt this week in order to do a horde hunt for a Shiny Plusle at Route 110 via Sweet Scent. Wish me luck y'all. :p

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to KittyKitty3308 on Regice, Demonslayer492 on Regirock, Regice, Registeel, and Regigigas (can I get some of that luck, please? XD), Wishmaker Latias on Goomy and Piplup (too bad about the Bellsprout though), maskofsanity1998 on Geodude and Charmeleon, Shiny Lord on Ho-Oh, eiger on Groudon, Pluski on Cresselia, Echo Nacyl on Pelipper, TheEliteEmpoleon on reclaiming Registeel, Void Ventus on Cresselia, maldoror on Kyurem, DJX on Froakie, Vanillite, Cubchoo, Rotom, and Sewaddle, kirkeastment on Cresselia and Buneary, The Prince of May on Cresselia, camhines4 on Hoppip, Kalosian on Bibarel, Jeppo on Ralts, *Murkrow on Wingull, Cyberra on Zubat, and anyone else I may have missed on your shinies!

Another update post from me. Eevee is at 10,200 SRs, Reshiram is at 4200 SRs, and Route 8 is at 2000 REs. I was hoping Reshiram wouldn't go over odds, but here I am. I don't know how so many of you are getting your Mirage Spot legends in under 1000 SRs. XP

I do have one bit of good news, though. Yesterday I decided to bring Alpha Sapphire to school in the hopes that I'd Streetpass someone and get the Eon Ticket. I've actually never used the function before so I wasn't sure what to expect, or even if I'd get a hit... but lo and behold, I stopped for lunch after walking around for a little while and found out that someone had Streetpassed me, and that someone had the Eon Ticket! Needless to say, I stocked up on some Dive Balls and immediately went off to Southern Island to start hunting Latios. XD I've done 150 RAs so far, and I'm hoping Alpha Sapphire will be kinder to me than my other hunts have been lately.

Good luck to all of you on your hunts, especially 2rsa, Cpchris, Lorde, TheMaster327, and everyone else with long and/or tedious hunts!

EHAN

Shiny Hunter
So... I'm new to these forums, I've actually been lurking this thread and its past versions for years and only just now decided to join.

Anyways, I love shiny Pokemon. They're my absolute favorite aspects of the games, and I'm not really sure why exactly. I have over 60 individual shinies currently, and if you guys are interested I'll talk about each shiny and how I got them.

How did I get interested in shinies to begin with? I couldn't tell you exactly, it's been so long since I first heard of the mechanic. But I think I knew about them at least before Platinum came out. And considering I'm fairly new to the Pokemon series compared to most people I come in contact with (I only started playing around 2007 with Ruby as my first game), I caught on to the concept fairly quickly.

Other than the shinies I saw my friend had (of course he only used cheats to get his though), I hadn't experienced them fully. Until I got Platinum, that is.

I was past Gardenia's gym, and I was taking my first steps into Mt. Coronet. Then almost immediately, I ran into it.

The red Meditite staring me in the face. The sparkles coming off of it. And the neat sound effect that accompanied it. It felt alluring.

So I caught it in a Great Ball, and that was the end of it.

Fast forward to today, and I currently have 67 shinies, including that very first Shinycham (as I've called it). Unfortunately, I don't have the patience that most of you people seem to have, and I have only gone on hunts for up to about 1000 REs at most.

So why did I join today of all times? Well, I added a new member to my collection today: a shiny Cyndaquil. Masuda Method, and in OR/AS (without the shiny charm, I haven't gotten it yet). I actually decided a while ago that I would breed a shiny Cyndaquil for a YouTuber I'm interested in, since he loves shiny Pokemon but he only has ever seen one in his entire career (and he's played since the originals too). I put the hunt down after about 100 hatched eggs, mainly because I got interested in other things than X/Y. But having completed the main story in OR/AS, I decided to transfer over and continue the hunt. Today, after 165 eggs hatched, it decided to show up.

So yeah, I can't think of anything else to say right now, but if you want to know about parts of my shiny hunting career or just about all of my shinies in general, feel free to ask!

Demonslayer492

Got it Memorized?
Demonslayer492 on Regirock, Regice, Registeel, and Regigigas (can I get some of that luck, please? XD)

Thanks and sorry but no. My luck only belongs to :p.

Gratz to all recently. I got Lugia yesterday and the count was literally 666 resets.

Also I saw someone post here something about giving a legendary unlimited PP via Exeggutor with harvest and (he said lumber Berry) but I'm assuming Leppa Berry with skill swap and Bestow? Is this true? Because I want to get everything in Luxury balls but I keep having to master ball some.

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
I'm now at 1600 eggs for the first eevee so now that I've defintely passed odds this hunt is truly becoming tedious... Congrats to everyone who got their shinies....

65 eggs later!

Shiny Eevee!.JPG

And no HA or 31 sp.actk iv.... Well I got it.... He's been called Shinkiro (Mirage) cause he made me work for him. He is going to be a Glaceon. Next I'll be hatching another Shiny Eevee to get Leafeon.

IVs: 31/31/31/30/31/31 with HP electric(HP Checked ingame)

Last edited:

Wishmaker Latias

All Bridges Burned, All Lessons Learned
Wishmaker Latias on Goomy and Piplup (too bad about the Bellsprout though)
Thanks, I did go over the sorrow after knocking it out already.

And since I've finished doing a bunch of random things that I kept forgetting to do, I am finally starting out on my shiny Snivy hunt.
Maybe I'll give a shot at it with the pokeradar every once in a while, but I'll mainly focus on Snivy.

Congrats on everyone who got what they were looking for, and especially those who got random shinies.
And good luck to everyone still hunting for their shinies.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Hi everyone! Congratulations on the latest shinies!

So yesterday I had my bottom wisdom teeth removed... It was a pretty traumatizing experience altogether. Because I was holding the cotton pieces wrong in my frozen mouth, it didn't stop the bleeding like it should've, so I went back to the dentist so he could make the wounds coagulate. Once that was done, I was in awful pain for about two hours, and then suddenly (at around 8 PM) it stopped. I woke up this morning without having my cheeks swollen, so I was pretty lucky to not have any major side effect from the operation (and even swollen cheeks is a really common side effect!). Though I'm constantly scared that it might start bleeding again if I do a harsh move...

ANYHOW, while watching my movie comfortably installed in the couch with a blanket and a few pillows, I managed to fill 5 boxes of Buneary eggs and managed to hatch about twenty. I'll try to hatch them all today, so I'll report if anything exciting happens.

Good luck everyone! :)

Last edited:

EHAN

Shiny Hunter
So just a question: what is your best method for doing the Masuda Method? I usually just get a full party of eggs and hatch them all at once, but it seems like you guys just collect the eggs and hatch them in bulk. I've really struggled to figure out a way to make the Masuda Method easier on myself, so is the bulk hatching a better method?

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to kirkeastment on Cresselia, The Prince of May on Cresselia, camhines4 on Hoppip, Kalosian on Bibarel, Jeppo on Ralts, *Murkrow on Wingull, EHAN on Cyndaquil, Demonslayer492 on Lugia, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the good luck, Crimson Penguin!

-----------

Was still wondering if I should train up a new sleep user when I happened to remember seeing something on Reddit about being able to give a wild Pokémon infinite PP. Dug some more and it's Exeggutor with it's HA (Harvest) with Skill Swap/Bestow holding a Lum Berry. So may focus on getting that instead. The weather need to be intense sunlight to get Harvest to work 100% of the time, so I need to double check if Desolate Land counts or I'll have to bring two Drought users and just switch between them. Going for paralysis is probably easier in this case.

That’s an awesome idea, one I think I’ll try to use with future legendaries, so thanks for sharing :) Wondering if it’d be too risky to use with Groudon though, given the typing and chance of crits…I guess a Lv. 100 Exeggutor could stand a crit Eruption though.

Finally caught my Exeggcute and today I ran him and Groudon threw my Blissey bases and the second run of the Elite 4. Desolate Land seems to boost Harvest to 100% so my new set up is: lead with Exeggutor, Skill Swap Harvest, use Bestow to give Tornadus a Leppa Berry, Stun Spore; bring in Farfetch'd, False Swipe to 1HP; bring in Groudon, Primal evolve and commence ball throwing. I've stocked up on 300 Ultra Balls, plus misc, plus the Master Ball should everything else fail.

Unless some of these things changed in Gen 6 (which I’m really not familiar with), I read that if the pokemon that used skill swap is switched out, the abilities of both pokemon revert back to their original ones. You might want to lower its HP first, then bring in Exeggutor and leave it in instead of Groudon. You could always boost Exeggutor’s Defenses with items (or lower Tornadus’ offenses, which would have a more permanent effect in the event Exeggutor faints), to keep from having to heal up as often, but critical hits negate all stat changes, so a crit Crunch is going to do the same damage with or without stat changes on either pokemon. However, held Leppa Berries don’t get used until a move reaches 0 PP, so even if Exeggutor faints from a crit, as long as one of Tornadus’ moves doesn’t drop to 0 in the time it takes to bring Exeggutor back in and use Skill Swap, you should be alright.

-----------

Well, unfortunately, I’ve still been too distracted with Metroid and haven’t hunted since the 11th…But I’m definitely going to try to today! I had a dream last night that I found a shiny, and I think a short break from hunting is a good thing for me. I really hope I see something awesome shine soon though!

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, MurderofKrow, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Lorde, Keane, Shy, Ruru_star, CosmicSparkles, Crimson Penguin, and Lunafloon)!

ohjeezitskim

So just a question: what is your best method for doing the Masuda Method? I usually just get a full party of eggs and hatch them all at once, but it seems like you guys just collect the eggs and hatch them in bulk. I've really struggled to figure out a way to make the Masuda Method easier on myself, so is the bulk hatching a better method?

I collect in bulk and then hatch in bulk. I just feel as it's quicker for ranking up the egg count.
I'll collect 90+ and hatch them in the center of lumiose city.
I look at it like: When you have those 5 and only eggs you are hatching, you could still be collecting
those pokemon eggs since your parents are still in the day care. So you are missing out on collecting
those eggs while you hatch the 5.

For pokemon, like Magikarp, with 1,280 base steps, they usually hatch before I'm done because of
flame body, so I'll just put away the ones that hatched and go for collecting more eggs.

--
255 eggs for Treecko still. I have a few breeding requests so I won't
be able to collect many eggs till later. So my batch will probably be
a lowly 60. I can always save them for the next day however...and
hatch 120!

Feel like making cupcakes today, so once I get one breed request done...
I'm off to make cupcakes!

Wishmaker Latias

All Bridges Burned, All Lessons Learned

Personally I think hatching in bulks is way easier.
I just usually get 5 boxes and hatch them in center lumiose with the coin in the circle pad.
You can do anything you want while hatching them like this, just that you need to take a look on your 3DS every once in a while and press B a couple of times.(And bet a new batch of eggs once you're done with the first)
This way you can multitask in any way you like(I usually just watch TV or anime online, and read a book sometimes)
As for other methods, in Platinum I like hatching in the cycling road(All you have to do is press and hold Up for a little, then do that again after a few seconds) you can also do other things while you're at it.

As for my current hunt, I'm at 150 eggs, nothing so far.