• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Cyberra

pain in the ***
239 eggs into Oshawott and

View attachment 14242

It IV spread is 31/31/31/X/31/31 which considering I bred as a Physical attacker is great but....

No shell armour.... Oh well I knew my luck with Snivy and Tegig's Hidden abilites would end. So I know when MH4U comes out next month that I achived in hunting the Unova starters.

You get your shiny oshawott in 239 eggs and I'm over 800 eggs for mine... Color me jealous lol.

Was doing some chain fishing between egg batches today, at that city between route 8 and 10 (the name escapes me right now...) hoping to find a shiny horsea. I found a single shiny skrelp instead XP It was not a good day for fishing, apparently. In all my attempts, over an hour of trying, I never even reached 20 casts. I kept getting the "nothing seems to be biting" message XP Traded off the skrelp and got a HA treecko for it. That might come in handy for later MMing.

Cresselia is at 5,200 SRs (so jealous of everybody who's gotten it in under a thousand). Oshawott is at 835 eggs and counting.

Question: what's a good nature for kingdra? I'll be MMing horsea after I get oshawott

EDIT: SHINY OSHAWOTT hatched from egg 859! He's adamant, what I was everstoning for, somewhat vain, and has Torrent (I was unable to get a HA oshawott to breed). I'm going to be EV training him and then evolving him :D Will have pictures tomorrow. Which means Community hunt complete!

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/picture%207437_zpscwr2jcze.jpg[/img139]

Checked the female horsea I caught to breed, and she is modest. I'll be putting an everstone on her when I start breeding. Though I have read that Rash is another good nature for running a special set, what Smogon called a "Critdra". What do you guys think?

For people who SR a lot, how do you keep track of the number?

*waves small handheld click counter* I use this. It's only a four-digit counter and most hunts go well into five-digit numbers, so when it goes from 9999 back to 0000 I just add the extra digit and consider it 10,000. Or 20,000, or wherever I happen to be/how long I've been hunting. It works for me.

Last edited:

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
You get your shiny oshawott in 239 eggs and I'm over 800 eggs for mine... Color me jealous lol.

Was doing some chain fishing between egg batches today, at that city between route 8 and 10 (the name escapes me right now...) hoping to find a shiny horsea. I found a single shiny skrelp instead XP It was not a good day for fishing, apparently. In all my attempts, over an hour of trying, I never even reached 20 casts. I kept getting the "nothing seems to be biting" message XP Traded off the skrelp and got a HA treecko for it. That might come in handy for later MMing.

Cresselia is at 5,200 SRs (so jealous of everybody who's gotten it in under a thousand). Oshawott is at 835 eggs and counting.

Question: what's a good nature for kingdra? I'll be MMing horsea after I get oshawott

Adamant or Modest is probably the best depending on whether you want a physical or special set. Special is my preference because it gets better coverage but it's up to you :)

As for my hunts I've scrapped my Snivy hunt after hatching a 31/31/31/30/31/31 HA Timid one with HP Electric so I'm probably going to go back to my Ponyta MM soon. Still haven't gotten a 5IV female yet but, since I'm not going for its HA I don't mind which ability the shiny eventually hatches with. Easy to switch it if it gets Run Away as I have 3000+ BP to spend on Ability Capsules should I need them.

I did hatch a shiny Electrike while trying to get a regular one with HP Ice but I didn't post about it as its potential ended up being only above average when both its parents were outstanding which I was really upset about (I was having a bad day to begin with). It also had Static for its ability and HP Dragon which is completely useless so it's currently in the PC where it will probably stay. I got a decent non-shiny one with HP Ice anyway.

Congrats to everyone on their shinies and good luck in your hunts :)

TheMaster327

So I've started my 9th hunt now (the pre-E4 one - first time doing pre- and post-E4 shinies) and it's Cresselia! Now, you're all probably saying 'You got that on your Legendary Quest in Black 2!' Well you'd be right. But when you look at the first Cresselia's IVs (1 / 5 / 7 / 28 / 11 / 1), you can see why I've chosen to go for it again :) Already at 1,150 SRs for it, so comfortably quicker SRs than Tornadus was.

Wish me luck! Congrats on all recent shinies, especially Twilit Dragoon on that Heatran :)

Claus351

Shiny hunter :)

I find modest to be a better nature. I randomly got a shiny modest horsea, idk it's IVs because i never check, but yeaeh. maybe that'll be some hope for you :) As we speak i'm speed grinding it to 100.

In other news, I had a chain going for Zorua of over 100, when i broke it because I was distracted by my gf. I knew it'd happen, too, it was inevitable. Anyways, it's incredibly easy to chain in this game (i spent total like an hour and a half and got over 100) so once i'm done leveling some shinies and hatching some eggs i plan on doing that again. I'm going on a cruise soon, so i will be doing a lot there and won't have wifi to update you guys (even if 99% of you don't care xP)

Prince Umbreon

Starfish and Coffee
Been hunting Ho-oh since December, still no luck

Just started Ho-Oh about last week. Up to 2200-2300 SRs so far w/o charm (yes I know), so I'm crossing my fingers I can get it in the next thousand or so. Good luck to you too! :D

Aesnath

But Nothing Happened
After thinking about how long it took to get the Giratina, as well as my inability to effectively count SRs (I gave up on day 2), I've decided to MM Phanpy before considering another legend hunt.

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Well, I haven't posted in awhile. I've been so annoyed with my hunts lately. Granite Cave is at ~8.5k REs and Buneary is closing in on 1500 eggs soon. That's now 4 consecutive hunts that have went 2x+ over odds.. I hate my luck right now ;-; Not giving up, but my morale is pretty low and I have slowed down a bit. Hopefully something shines soon.

Gratz on all the recent shinies and good luck everyone!

Prince Umbreon

Starfish and Coffee

I would think the simplest way would be with a tally count. Just make a mark with each reset. Of course that only really works if you're not multitasking. Half the time I do SRing I'm either walking around town or busy with something else. I just keep a general rule of 1 hour ~ 100 resets. At least for the legendaries that you don't encounter while soaring. That would probably be more around 1 hour ~ 60 - 80 resets.

cryuel

I would like to participate/ join this thread. Is there a particular way to do it? Or do you just post when you have something to post about?

After thinking about how long it took to get the Giratina, as well as my inability to effectively count SRs (I gave up on day 2), I've decided to MM Phanpy before considering another legend hunt.

I've only ever really done my shiny story Latias, which fortunately for me ended after 557 SRs, but I took a tally count (an approximate one in any case if whilst multitasking I double-counted), but I find the western way of counting (4 vertical strikes and then a horizontal one for the 5th) rather boring after a while, so I do it the Japanese way. In Japanese you do the character for 正 from "tadashii" (correct) since it also has 5 strokes. It's actually a lot of fun, you start from the top left and go to the right for the first one. Then you go down the middle for the 2nd. Then you do the right horizontal one from left to right. Then you go down the vertical one on the left side as the fourth one. Then you do the last bottom horizontal from left to right.

It's a lot of fun and, at least for me, keeps me not bored from doing the same strokes while still being able to multitask. I typically count to 5 in my head and then do a 正. Anywho, give it a try, or not. ^_^

Pluski

Congratulations to everyone with new shinies!

I'm back with a new shiny! After 1296 SR's, shiny Zekrom appeared.

[img139]http://i.imgur.com/6sfq84I.jpg[/img139]

It's blue eyes are really pretty. I'm so happy Zekrom isn't shiny locked in ORAS.

[img300]http://i.imgur.com/TLsbmUi.jpg[/img300]

[img300]http://i.imgur.com/xhTdmy0.jpg[/img300]

[img300]http://i.imgur.com/2pLPyWB.jpg[/img300]

[img300]http://i.imgur.com/M4ud4Rb.jpg[/img300]

It has a Rash nature, and perfect IV's in HP, Attack and Special Attack.

Good luck to everyone! Especially those SR'ing for legendaries.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Mewtwo EX on Cresselia and Virizion and Terrakion and Uxie, Shine on Heatran, HM02gon on Skarmory, Cyberra on Shellder, dark1raven3 on Squirtle and Trapinch, *Murkrow on Tornadus, searing light dragon on Combee, Martinzqx on Zekrom, Swatski9 on Honedge, PokemonMegaBeast on Reshiram, StrongBad456 on Totodile, TheBuckeye11 on Tyrunt, Blaze. on Elekid, Manakete-Girl on Eevee, ohjeezitskim on Wurmple, Ampharos_Spark on Zekrom, Wishmaker Latias on Snivy, dark1raven3 on Trapinch, Ponymon on Swablu, Keovix on Patrat, cryuel on Latias, Manakete-Girl on Tepig and Snivy, KittyKitty3308 on Registeel and Regigigas, shinycharizard06 on Reshiram, Raicario on Zekrom, Mestear on Bulbasaur, Ampharos_Spark on Feebas and Snivy, Manakete-Girl on Oshawott, TheMaster327 on Tornadus, ohjeezitskim on Mr. Mime, Scrufox86 on Scatterbug, StrongBad456 on Tyrogue, Manakete-Girl on Gastly, Twilit_Dragoon on Heatran, Aesnath on Giratina, Cyberra on Oshawott, Greedy Chibi on Electrike, KenKong on Timburr, Pluski on Zekrom, and everyone else on your shinies!

Sorry that happened again, Maldoror :(

-----------

A bit early to be thinking ahead to next month, but considering it’s the shortest month of the year, maybe a hunt for the shortest pokemon in the game? The problem would be that it might either be too narrow of a hunt or too broad of one since there are 43 pokemon that are 1’0”. Include them and you have 57 pokemon, don’t include them and you only have 14 pokemon. Or maybe it could be part of a multi-part hunt. Just an idea, but one that really only fits for February.

You don't have to keep Exeggutor in (see my comment below) but for a situation where you did, maybe two Exeggutor would work? Or anything with Trick, really. Give Groudon the berry, bring in Exeggutor, Skill Swap and then you're done. Could even give Exeggutor Leftovers in that case for a bit more bulk.

Ah, that’s great news! Definitely not the first time Bulbapedia’s given me wrong info :x Hopefully it’s true for 4th gen as well.

-----------

There were a few days I didn’t get to hunt earlier in the week due to not having any time, but I finally got back to hunting on Wednesday! Not that I found anything :p But I’m now at 17,000 REs on Platinum, 6,000 REs on Black 2, and 13,800 HBs on HeartGold. My games are getting a little stubborn. And only 2,200 REs until my luck breaks its 3-system rule…

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, MurderofKrow, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Lorde, Keane, Shy, Ruru_star, CosmicSparkles, Crimson Penguin, and Lunafloon)!

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Shiny news this week!

While hunting outside Rustboro in OmegaRuby, I got bored and frustrated with broken chains for skitty, so I took a break and did some horde spamming between the route and the nearby cave. I ended up finding a shiny whismur in the cave. :D I've been wanting a shiny whismur for a while, they're so cute.

Then, just a half hour ago, I finally found a shiny skitty by DexNav. I'm glad I was looking down and saw the sparkles, it is NOT obvious. Even when I compared it on the pokedex, I could barely see a difference. I was expecting it to be a lot redder. At least I got it.

Next target: eevee. Hopefully I don't end up with one that's best as an espeon, because even though it's my favorite eeveelution, it has the worst shiny color.

EHAN

Shiny Hunter
Wow, for being new to the thread I sure disappeared just as quickly. Time to play catch-up here.

Congrats to Shine on Heatran, HM02gon on Skarmory (even if you did say that you didn't like its IVs), Cyberra on Shellder, dark1raven3 on Squirtle, Trapinch x2, and Ninetails, DJX on Tympole, Poochyena, Seviper, Pikachu, Zorua, Pinsir, Lotad, and Cherrim (dang, that's a lot, the DexNav really does work doesn't it?), wobbanut on Ralts, Poochyena, and Tympole (I'm sensing a theme here), *Murkrow on Tornadus, Archsage on Feebas, searing light dragon on Combee, Psychic on Whismur, Martinzqx on Zekrom, Swatski9 on Honedge, PokemonMegaBeast on Reshiram, StrongBad456 on Totodile, TheBuckeye11 on Tyrunt, Blaze. on Elekid, Manakete-Girl on Eevee, Tepig, and Snivy, Sydwinx on Phantump, Kalosian on Wingull and Throh, Jcard363 on Charizard, Gorebyss, and Shuppet, ohjeezitskim on Wurmple, Ampharos_Spark on Zekrom, Wishmaker Latias on Snivy, kirkeastment on Sandshrew, Scrufox86 on Foongus, Murkrow, Sandshrew, and Swablu, Artikia on Taillow, Ponymon on Swablu, Keovix on Patrat, Cyberra on Sneasel, cryuel on Latias, The Prince of May on Feebas, camhines4 on Flaaffy x2, KittyKitty3308 on Registeel and Regigigas, shinycharizard06 on Reshiram, Earth Wolf-Howl on Absol, Claus351 on Horsea, Raicario on Zekrom, maldoror on Machop, Mestear on Bulbasaur, Ampharos_Spark on Feebas and Snivy, maskofsanity1998 on Magby, Cyberra on Sneasel and Absol, Claus351 on Feebas, Manakete-Girl on Oshawott, AmazingChi on Ariados, Raptor737 on Hoppip, StrongBad456 on Zorua, TheMaster327 on Tornadus, Tsukuyomi56 on Pelipper, ohjeezitskim on Mr. Mime, Raptor737 on Whismur, Sydwinx on Shuppet and Phantump, Scrufox86 on Scatterbug, StrongBad456 on Tyrogue, Raptor737 on Gulpin, Manakete-Girl on Gastly, Twilit Dragoon on Heatran, Aesnath on Giratina, Cyberra on Oshawott, Greedy Chibi on Electrike, KenKong on Timburr, Pluski on Zekrom, wobbanut on Whismur and Skitty, and anyone whom I might have missed. (Remind me to just do a blanket congratulations next time I'm away for a while.)

On my end, nothing new, except that I have started hunting for Eevee with the DexNav. Originally I decided to do the Masuda Method, but the eggs take way too long to hatch for my liking, so I decided to try out the DexNav for the first time. My highest chain so far has been in the 60s, but I broke it when I got distracted by my dad telling me to eat dinner. Oh well, at least it's much easier and more entertaining than in Gen IV or V. Wish me luck guys, and good luck to all of you too!

TheGreaterLucario

Well...... I just received a Shiny Pidgey over Wonder Trade..... HOWEVER, I am sending it off because I can tell that it is hacked. Its summary says it was met at Route 2 at Lv. 3, it's Lv. 100 and in a Premier Ball holding a Master Ball. Seems like it could be legit...... except for the fact that it listed the amount of EXP needed to level up as " -190,400". .....Yeaaaaaaah.

Echo Nacyl

This hunt for Thundurus is driving me up the wall. 1810 SRs and still counting.
The 935 I did for Tornadus no longer seems like it was very many at all.

Blastonite

Dream Crusher
Welp just hit full odds for Treecko on OR which isn't too many honestly. But I had a feeling I would hit full odds. Was hoping I wouldn't lol. Now I have all the dreaded thoughts about What if I missed it on accident. Or what is I missed more than 1! Oh lawdy plz no lol. But phase 2 has just begun! Let's see what this phase brings about.

Congrats to all who have seen the Shine and to those still searching I hope you see the Shine soon :D

Aesnath

But Nothing Happened
I would think the simplest way would be with a tally count. Just make a mark with each reset. Of course that only really works if you're not multitasking. Half the time I do SRing I'm either walking around town or busy with something else. I just keep a general rule of 1 hour ~ 100 resets. At least for the legendaries that you don't encounter while soaring. That would probably be more around 1 hour ~ 60 - 80 resets.

I thought about that, but, as you said, I am typically doing other things when shiny hunting and may not have the cognitive resources or pen and paper for the task.

However, since I did have to fly and, when I did count it was about 80 SRs/hour (consistent with your estimate), I guess I was about 2000 SRs to get the Girtina, give or take.

Cryuel: that's a neat way of doing tallies, but I think it would take more effort for me to do, rather than less. Still, it does sound cool.

EDIT: Cyberra, I missed your suggestion at first, that's a pretty good idea!

Last edited: