• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Ampharos_Spark

Gen 6 = <3
Congrats to Archsage on Spearow, Claus351 on Poliwag, syrrume on Audino x4, CharlieDoryRose on Vanillite and Swirlix and Doduo and Skiddo and Plusle, Iwanuq on Quilladin and Charmeleon, Echo Nacyl on Plusle and Scatterbug, Zekrommaster826 on Electrike and Magnemite, Twilit Dragoon on Poochyena and Skitty, RaichuArcanine on Riolu x2 and Treecko, Shiny Lord on Lapras, taufik386 on Lilipup and Petilil and Audino and Chatot and Skitty and Kecleon and Elgyem and Magby, Blastonite on Mankey, maskofsanity1998 on Aipom, Cyberra on Cresselia and Helioptile and Chimchar and Druddigon, Paraqua on Cresselia, Phillies on Snubbull and Togepi and Phantump and Shuppet x2 and Skitty and Persian and Koffing and Onix and Tyrunt, Cpchris on Machoke x2 (hopefully you get that darn Scyther soon), Supremacy on Zubat, DJX on Wingull and Ariados and Spheal and Numel, Ponymon on Shinx, Sg0 on Lugia, chimcharizard on Marill and Eevee. Thanks to everyone who congratulated me on my Bagon!

So... I come bearing shiny news. Not just any news but news about a shiny you don't see people getting very often anymore due to being released back in 2009. About six years ago the Oak's Letter and the Member's Card were released for Platinum version over Nintendo Wifi. After receiving both items I went and SRed for Shaymin. After two months of SRing I got my shiny Shaymin and then climbed Mt. Coronet to SPear Pillar to SR for Dialga. After a year of SRing I finally got my Dialga and in the process of that and eventually going for Palkia... I totally forgot that I had the Member's Card. Last August or September I remembered that I still had that item in my Platinum and decided to go to New Moon Island to SR for a certain target through out October for Halloween whilst hatching eggs for a shiny Pumpkaboo. Well Pumpkaboo shone but not my main Halloween target. So I kept SRing and lately have been rotating between my SoulSilver during the day and Platinum at night. Well tonight, on the night of a new moon (seriously tonight is a new moon as I'm typing this at 12:19 AM my time. I'm not kidding. talk about coincidences) and after 6429 SRs I saw this grace my screen...
[IMG139]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/DarkSuicune/100-IMGA0868_zps8e9111dd.jpg[/IMG139]
a lovely purple Darkrai sparkled before my eyes. The battle wasn't too bad as I was prepared for it's Double Team and Hypnosis attacks with my Noctowl. Eventually after about 14 minutes I caught it in a Dusk Ball. I've named him Jack for now though I might change it later. I was considering naming him Shadow after the summon spirit in Tales Of Symphonia (I love that game and I'm currently replaying it) but... I don't think that would have been the most creative name for Darkrai. It unfortunately ended up with a brave nature... but at least it's IVs aren't the worst 0-1/14-15/25/16/30/30. More pictures: OT/ID, Summary, Sparkles and Video.

Blastonite

Dream Crusher
So after 13 boxes a shiny mankey showed! Wrong ability and missing attack! DJ><HAHSPAONSCLKZN:LVN Not happy. AT ALL! Well I am. But my RNG in ORAS has be the freakin worst for having the shiny charm. I have 130 eggs left to hatch so maybe I'll get lucky. Prolly not though. After I am done hatching these eggs I am taking a break from MM. And I'll go back and rebreed for Mankey as well as my Shroomish at some other point..... maybe.

Congrats to all who have seen the Shine and to those still searching I hope you see the Shine soon :p

darkpaladin2015

Shiny Hunter
Hello, long time reader, 1st time poster :)
I'm on a quest to soft reset every legendary pokemon I can in my Alpha Sapphire. I got Regirock, Registeel, Kyurem and Zekrom really quickly. Raikou then led me on a week long hunt, and now I've been stuck in front of Cresselia for four days. The pink moon fairy refuses to turn blue!

Hope it doesn't take too much longer as I've just got the eon ticket and want to hunt Latios, but I don't want to leave cresent isle for it to disappear and maybe not return for a long time.

Good luck with all of your hunts!

razor fire

The Repel Trick is a technique that a one can use to look for highest-level Pokémon in a specific area. You see, when you use the Repel, Pokémon that are levels lower than the level of the current leader of your party will not show up in encounters.
Let's suppose that there's a route that contains 50% of Rattata (level 2) and 50% of Pidgey (level 2-3). If you have a level 3 Pokémon lead in your party while using a repel, the repel will make sure that you do not encounter Pokémon that are lower than level 3. In this case, since all the Rattata have to be level 2, none of them can appear if your lead is level 3. However, some Pidgey can still be level 3, and thus appear under the effect of the repel with a level 3 lead. In this case, the only Pokémon that could potentially appear using the Repel would be Pidgey. It's useful for people who wish to get a shiny Pokémon specifically without the other one appearing and having a risk of phases. You can read more about the repel trick here. :)

Oh, that's really cool! Thank you very much!
But seeing as Goomy is level 30 and is also the lowest levelled pokemon (not including hordes) on Route 14, wouldn't that make the Repel Trick kind of useless there then?

Sutittaja

Lightning zebra
Oh, that's really cool! Thank you very much!
But seeing as Goomy is level 30 and is also the lowest levelled pokemon (not including hordes) on Route 14, wouldn't that make the Repel Trick kind of useless there then?

In route 14, Goomy's minium level is 30 and maxium 32. So, if you use pokemon that is in level 32, you will encouter only Goomys, Weebinbells and Carnivines. So it will work

Last edited:

razor fire

In route 14, Goomy's minium level is 30 and maxium 32. So, if you use pokemon that is in level 32, you will encouter only Goomys, Weebinbells and Carnivines. So it will work

Ah, seems like I looked at the wrong section on Bulbapedia's page. I didn't see that Goomy can be 32 in the swamp. My bad :p

In other news, I've been resetting for a shiny zekrom for over a month now. I started january 3rd, and zekrom still hasn't shone for me :(

Everlasting

Everything stays.

Ah, seems like I looked at the wrong section on Bulbapedia's page. I didn't see that Goomy can be 32 in the swamp. My bad :p

Still, I am not hunting it in that section of the route. :p I'm hunting Goomy on the Surf parts, with 50% Quagsire (30), 35% Stunfisk (30-32) and 15% Goomy (30-31) with a level 31 party lead. It completely makes Quagsire, and after calculations from Brooke (from the ShinyTwins178), the Goomy encounter rate rises to about 75%. And it works, too. Most of the time I see Goomy, and a few times Stunfisk. It's pretty neat!

Typhlosion_Hunter_Mark

Galaxy Trainer
I've been away for a while because of several other things that demanded all of my time. But now I'm back and ready to hunt for some shinies in ORAS! First of all I will try Dexnaving a shiny for the first time. I've decided to go for Tailow for my first attempts. I started of doing well and reached a chain of 139, but then a random Wishmur popped up in the DexNav and I accidently broke my chain by scaring it away...

Congrats to those who caught shinies recently!

TamagoSan

Never found a shiny in any of my games and I started on Diamond. Found a Ralts shiny 10 minutes ago and it teleported. What joy.

Razorbadger

Congrats to Philles on Torchic and Tyrunt, Cyberra on Aerodactyl, Cresselia and Chimchar, Hasty Jynx on Sentret, wobbanut on Purrloin and Mareep, Echo Nacyl on Zekrom and Scatterbug, Ampharos_Spark on Bagon and Darkrai, Claus351 on Poliwag, CharlieDoryRose on Vanillite, Zekromaster826 on Magnemite and Elektrike, RaichuArcanine on both Riolu and Treecko, Blastonite on both Mankey, Paraqua on Cresselia, Cpchris on Machoke, Supremacy on Zubat, Ponymon on Shinx, Sg0 on Lugia and everyone else on your shinies.

Thanks to Cpchris for the luck.

It's over. After six-and-a-half weeks of pretty much constant hunting, over 228 in game hours, an outbreak of Pokerus amongst my team and a staggering 42,661 REs all on one system for one phase, a shiny Rattata graced my screen. It's finally over.

[IMG139]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/razorbadger/79871433-4695-49f5-8853-00182436a2e8_zpskakdtjcx.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/razorbadger/ea540ec7-4645-4d3e-b521-dd74fc6eeafb_zpsukikxdgv.jpg[/IMG139]

I was beginning to think that this hunt wouldn't end, or worse it would end as my in game clock happened to tick over to morning with a Hoppip (it happened a couple of times but fortunately they weren't shiny) but whilst it didn't end with one of my main targets Rattata is a great shiny and one that I did want during this Badge Quest to use for Endeavour against Ho-Oh so it's nice to not have to worry about potentially going through the tedious Sprout Tower hunt in the future where Rattata is 100% in the day but has an incredibly slow encounter rate. I won't be evolving her to a Raticate, aside from the fact that I prefer Rattata's shiny sprite evolving is also not really necessary as I only need her to get one hit off against SR targets anyway and seeing as her nature isn't speed inhibiting (although Calm isn't great to be fair) a bunch of speed EVs along with overlevelling will ensure she isn't outsped by my future targets.

Next in Heart Gold I'll be hunting for a long lost Shiny in Ilex Forest. I posted a few months ago about how my first shiny was a Gloom in Fire Red many years ago and due to Gloom's low encounter rate reclaiming it would be difficult (some repel tricks are possible but encounters are nightmarishly slow) so instead I'm going to hunt Oddish in Ilex which is 60% at night. As for Mareep and Wooper I'll probably return to Route 32 later in this BQ (I can do a level six repel trick to ensure I get no more Rattata) but after going over 40k there I just want to run as far away as possible. Before anything else though I'm going back to the Desert in Omega Ruby for another phase for Trapinch or Cacnea.

Good luck hunting everyone :)

Phillies

Congrats to Philles on Torchic and Tyrunt, Cyberra on Aerodactyl, Cresselia and Chimchar, Hasty Jynx on Sentret, wobbanut on Purrloin and Mareep, Echo Nacyl on Zekrom and Scatterbug, Ampharos_Spark on Bagon and Darkrai, Claus351 on Poliwag, CharlieDoryRose on Vanillite, Zekromaster826 on Magnemite and Elektrike, RaichuArcanine on both Riolu and Treecko, Blastonite on both Mankey, Paraqua on Cresselia, Cpchris on Machoke, Supremacy on Zubat, Ponymon on Shinx, Sg0 on Lugia and everyone else on your shinies.

Thanks to Cpchris for the luck.

It's over. After six-and-a-half weeks of pretty much constant hunting, over 228 in game hours, an outbreak of Pokerus amongst my team and a staggering 42,661 REs all on one system for one phase, a shiny Rattata graced my screen. It's finally over.

[IMG139]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/razorbadger/79871433-4695-49f5-8853-00182436a2e8_zpskakdtjcx.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/razorbadger/ea540ec7-4645-4d3e-b521-dd74fc6eeafb_zpsukikxdgv.jpg[/IMG139]

I was beginning to think that this hunt wouldn't end, or worse it would end as my in game clock happened to tick over to morning with a Hoppip (it happened a couple of times but fortunately they weren't shiny) but whilst it didn't end with one of my main targets Rattata is a great shiny and one that I did want during this Badge Quest to use for Endeavour against Ho-Oh so it's nice to not have to worry about potentially going through the tedious Sprout Tower hunt in the future where Rattata is 100% in the day but has an incredibly slow encounter rate. I won't be evolving her to a Raticate, aside from the fact that I prefer Rattata's shiny sprite evolving is also not really necessary as I only need her to get one hit off against SR targets anyway and seeing as her nature isn't speed inhibiting (although Calm isn't great to be fair) a bunch of speed EVs along with overlevelling will ensure she isn't outsped by my future targets.

Next in Heart Gold I'll be hunting for a long lost Shiny in Ilex Forest. I posted a few months ago about how my first shiny was a Gloom in Fire Red many years ago and due to Gloom's low encounter rate reclaiming it would be difficult (some repel tricks are possible but encounters are nightmarishly slow) so instead I'm going to hunt Oddish in Ilex which is 60% at night. As for Mareep and Wooper I'll probably return to Route 32 later in this BQ (I can do a level six repel trick to ensure I get no more Rattata) but after going over 40k there I just want to run as far away as possible. Before anything else though I'm going back to the Desert in Omega Ruby for another phase for Trapinch or Cacnea.

Good luck hunting everyone :)

Congratulations. I don't think I would have the patience to hunt that long.

Last night I tried MM another Tyrunt with no luck. This morning I started to hatch the ones that I didn't finish last night and the 1st one was shiny. I am currently doing a Phione hunt on X and A Torkoal hunt on OR.

Last edited:

Sparky Mc-S

Let the sparks fly~
Congrats all on the shinies ^.^
My AS Torchic is at 3940 SR's and my story Latios on OR is at 416 SR's (not much but killer 3min cutscene -_-) Last night, I took a break from them and started horde hunting in X to up the motivation - I've had uncanny luck with hordes. So 5mins into the hunt, shiny Wingull, now Pelipper.

[IMG139]http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag264/Sparky-McS/Wingull%201_zpsfvhzvbqt.jpg[/IMG139][IMG139]http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag264/Sparky-McS/Wingull%202_zpsap622klm.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag264/Sparky-McS/Pelipper_zpssusspqh3.jpg[/IMG139]

Then as I did my last few hordes before bed, Mareep.

[IMG139]http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag264/Sparky-McS/Mareep_zpsehnz0xkj.jpg[/IMG139][IMG139]http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag264/Sparky-McS/Mareep2_zpsp6xhgu1h.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag264/Sparky-McS/Ampharos%201_zpsxnttbt9k.jpg[/IMG139][IMG139]http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag264/Sparky-McS/Ampharos%202_zpslcaubgsz.jpg[/IMG139]

Good luck with all your shiny hunts~

EDIT: Found my third shiny in 24hrs (not Torchic or Latios saddly :() Shiny Plusle~

[IMG139]http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag264/Sparky-McS/Plusle%201_zpskowwwwyn.jpg[/IMG139][IMG139]http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag264/Sparky-McS/Plusle%202_zpsfbtwx7wg.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag264/Sparky-McS/Plusle%203_zpsyraatn5x.jpg[/IMG139]

EDIT #2: Well, just got a shiny female Aron from Wondertrade. Shiny #4 in two days... I'll put a pic up tomorrow

[IMG139]http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag264/Sparky-McS/Aron_zps5vowpqvy.jpg[/IMG139]

EDIT #3: SHINY FREAKIN' COBALION FROM WONDERTRADE! NUMBER 5 IN TWO DAYS! I'm afraid I'm using all my luck on one game :( Well, pics will be up tomorrow. Now only if I can find some who can trade me a 6IV non eng ditto?

[IMG139]http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag264/Sparky-McS/Cobalion_zpsf23tmeme.jpg[/IMG139]

EDIT #4: Last night, I went out to catch a replacement qwilfish that I traded away. First cast and I caught my replacement but when ever I fish, I always tell myself "Leave after you 'break your chain.'" even if my intention isn't to chain fish. So I reeled in my second qwilfish and as I cast out for the third, the though crossed my mind. 'How about another shiny to make my night more unbelievable.....gtfo...'

[IMG139]http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag264/Sparky-McS/Quilfish_zpsve2bte1e.jpg[/IMG139]

I'm done. All my shiny luck has been used in under 36 hours. I'll be back next year after my drought has ended.

Last edited:

EdibleZebra

Hello all! After lurking for a long while, I wanted to give shiny hunting a shot.

In Omega Ruby, I was wonder traded a Japanese Mawile with decent IVs, so I decided to try MM.

After 323 eggs, I finally hatched a shiny Mawile! It's nature is Adamant and it has decent IVs. This is my first non-event shiny that isn't a dubious one from Wonder Trade.

Good luck on your hunts, everyone! Maybe I'll try the community hunt next.

darkpaladin2015

Shiny Hunter
With over 5 days of near constant resetting, ~4000 SRs, Cresselia is refusing to shine :\ I've been duel hunting on X to keep me motivated, and have encountered 3 shinies on that game so far whilst I wait for Cresselia. I'm hunting with shiny charm, so I'm well over 3 times the odds. This shiny really is a 'once in a blue moon' shiny :p

TamagoSan

Forget what I said earlier, I got my first shiny! :D I found a nice looking Horsea after casting my rod twice, so I was pretty lucky I think. So happy! Get ready to become a Kingdra, little guy.

Sg0

Pokemon Veteran
Last night while doing some wonder trading I was traded a Zapdos, a Magmortar AND a Lopunny, all shiny and all EV trained!
Not sure if they're legit yet, but hey a shiny is a shiny.
I might use them in the Battle Maison or something, but not vs other players since I don't know how legit they are and would feel bad using them.

One time, I decided to restart my Pokemon White game, and I picked my starter. It turned out to be a shiny Tepig! It's weird, because I wasn't even trying to get shinies. I don't usually shiny hunt that much in the first place, so this was a big surprise.

TheShinyLunatone

VAMPIRE LORDS!
With over 5 days of near constant resetting, ~4000 SRs, Cresselia is refusing to shine :\ I've been duel hunting on X to keep me motivated, and have encountered 3 shinies on that game so far whilst I wait for Cresselia. I'm hunting with shiny charm, so I'm well over 3 times the odds. This shiny really is a 'once in a blue moon' shiny :p

eheheeh welcome, And i see what u did there XD i'm also hunting he blue moon, but without shiny charm....

wobbanut

Team Awesome
New shiny news this week.

First, you know how you swear you'll just do one more encounter and then you'll go to bed, but then you say just one more then I'll quit? Well, that happened to me the other day. After I swore to get off and go to bed, since I had to go to work early the next day, I decided to do just one more. And BAM, next encounter on my Black 2 game was a second shiny gurdurr. Too bad it wasn't the yanma I wanted, that would have been epic, but oh well.

Then the next day, on my White 2, at least I got a fresh shiny, a shiny summery pink-haired deer. :D

And just a short time ago, after over a week of a shiny drought on my OmegaRuby, I DexNav'd a shiny surskit.

So I didn't get any targets this week, but at least two out of three fresh ones? Not bad at all.

chimcharizardx

Could somebody explain how the CH exactly works? How many of the pokes must you capture? Thanks.

Yesterday I chain fished in evergrand city for a corsola but I got luvdisc instead ): 5% chance is a killer. Anyway, my swablu MM is at 540 eggs, still no yellow bird. It's my first MM so I'm excited for the result. Next MM targets will be ponyta, bagon, and honedge. Next DNC targets will be a competitive shuppet and shroomish. HH hunts include Spheal and Zigzagoon. Hopefully some shinies show up soon!