• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Phillies

Just killed a shiny Braixen by hitting the wrong button. Wanted to hit false swipe and hit bonemerang instead.

The game has more than made up for my stupidity. I gotten a Growlithe, Spearow & Stunfisk since then.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
So late last night I hatched almost 45 eggs for my Shiny Magby Masuda Method attempt, then this morning I did 70 more soft resets for my Shiny Reshiram hunt in Omega Ruby. I also did 60 soft resets for my Shiny Rayquaza hunt this afternoon. Good luck to others on their hunts by the way.

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
I have stopped hunting Groudon for now and I'm trying to get a shiny Togepi in Pokémon Y. But while hatching them, the game suddenly crashed. "An error has occurred, forcing the software to close." Every other time my game crashed, the Pokémon I was hunting broke my record for most eggs hatched to get one shiny.

I have lost unhatched Togepi and I must start again. I wanted a change as well as breaking this shiny drought. Trying hard to get Groudon for a month and now my Pokémon Y crashing on me.

I was at probably 70 or 80 Togepi hatched, but it is down to almost 60.

I Pink Elephant

Shiny Hunter
Congratulations to all the new shiny Pokemon! Far to many to mention by name since I last posted, and for that I apologize... :(

This is my first post in quite a while. The reason? Various, but one of the main reasons is to do with my latest hunt. So, on the 10th of December last year (I know the date, as I got two beautiful kittens that day as an early x-mas present!) I caught me Kyogre on AlphaSapphire, and then discovered my first Nameless Cavern. Quite by accident ran into Mesprit and decided 'Hay, why do I not try hunting for a shiny version?' after all, its one of my favorite Pokemon. So I started my first AS/OR shiny hunt! :)

5,000+ SR's later, and I have yet to find it. Now, I do not wish to complain. I know to many, 5,000+ is nothing compared to their hunts. The problem I am having is I am not sure whether to take a brake, complete the game, get my Shiny charm, and then return to the hunt. Or, do I stand my ground and keep on hunting until it shines? I honestly do not know what to do now.

Anyway, that's just me. Good luck to all the ongoing hunts! :D

Last edited:

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Ampharos_Spark on Darkrai, Blastonite on Mankey, RazorBadger on Rattata, Phillies on Tyrunt, EdibleZebra on Mawile, wobbanut on Gurdurr and Deerling, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the congrats, Ampharos_Spark and RazorBadger :)

-----------

Ah, seems like I looked at the wrong section on Bulbapedia's page. I didn't see that Goomy can be 32 in the swamp. My bad :p

I like Bulbapedia, however when it comes to which pokemon are on certain routes and what their levels and encounter rates are, you have to use Serebii. There are too many incorrect listings on there, which gets especially annoying when you’re looking for repel trick options.

-----------

Only had time to do 100 REs yesterday, but got 500 REs done today. Platinum’s now at 1,900 REs, Black 2 is at 6,600 REs, and HeartGold is at 21,400 HBs. And so it now claims the spot of my 4th longest hunt. Medicham, your reign at 4th didn’t last long…

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Lorde, Keane, Shy, Ruru_star, CosmicSparkles, and Lunafloon)!

PKMN Trainer Gray

hi guys
i come bearing shiny news!
but first, congratz to everyone on all those shinies
being patient totally pays off

this is

[img139]http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af192/PKMNTrainerGray/20150219_203219_3_zpsffe7bf49.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af192/PKMNTrainerGray/20150219_203813_15_zpsacceccf0.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af192/PKMNTrainerGray/20150219_230222_2_zpsb3befdc8.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af192/PKMNTrainerGray/20150219_230710_8_zps91b85f00.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af192/PKMNTrainerGray/20150219_231106_11_zps7db12afb.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af192/PKMNTrainerGray/20150219_231106_15_zpsbadbe88e.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i1007.photobucket.com/albums/af192/PKMNTrainerGray/20150219_231107_17_zps0e9c415a.jpg[/img139]
WOW!! Lucario has been one of my favorite pokémon since his introduction back at the end of gen 3 and the midst of gen 4
it got my attention for being a STEEL type yet not looking like your common ordinary sturdy Steel type, so what makes Lucario an steel type? well his adamantium skeleton DUH jk, so yeah Wolverine
he is part of my flawless competitive shinies
Jolly, 31/31/31/xx/31/31
im gonna take a break from MM shinies after this one amazing shiny

good luck hunting

CH X2
Sylveon & Lucario

Last edited:

Akko

Strawberry Sunrise
Hello everyone! It's been a couple of months since my last post, so congrats on all the shinies since then!

I caught a shiny Electrike through horde hunting in Y a few hours ago! :D My shiny Chespin hunt has been slow but steady, I'm at 500 eggs now. I hope it shines soon!

Good luck to those still hunting! ^-^

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
CH completion updated.

Could somebody explain how the CH exactly works? How many of the pokes must you capture? Thanks.

You can capture as many as you want, but you only need at least one to be added to the first post :)

The Repel Trick is a technique that a one can use to look for highest-level Pokémon in a specific area. You see, when you use the Repel, Pokémon that are levels lower than the level of the current leader of your party will not show up in encounters.
Let's suppose that there's a route that contains 50% of Rattata (level 2) and 50% of Pidgey (level 2-3). If you have a level 3 Pokémon lead in your party while using a repel, the repel will make sure that you do not encounter Pokémon that are lower than level 3. In this case, since all the Rattata have to be level 2, none of them can appear if your lead is level 3. However, some Pidgey can still be level 3, and thus appear under the effect of the repel with a level 3 lead. In this case, the only Pokémon that could potentially appear using the Repel would be Pidgey. It's useful for people who wish to get a shiny Pokémon specifically without the other one appearing and having a risk of phases.

I hope you don't mind if I add your post to the first post ;)

Anyway

Ho-Oh shines last night after 14 days of hunting, exactly the same as my Latias hunt back then.

My friend pointed out that both of them are flying/levitating gold shinies xD

Jolly sync worked, and the IV spread is amazing: 12-13/31/31/31/28-29/31. Now if only that SAtk IV moves to HP IV instead :p

And oh, I caught it in my third Premier Ball......without critical capture :D

[img139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/hooh1_zpsa0e49420.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/hooh2_zps74bf4848.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll201/Aura_Sphere/hooh3_zpsa4ad736f.jpg[/img139]

darkpaladin2015

Shiny Hunter
Anyway

Ho-Oh shines last night after 14 days of hunting, exactly the same as my Latias hunt back then.

Congratulations! Suddenly my 6 day hunt for Cresselia seems very petty :p I hope it doesn't take 14 days like your Ho-oh!

I'm at around ~5500 - 6000 soft resets now, by far the longest hunt with a shiny charm I've ever done. I'm back to work on Monday, so desperately hoping it shines by then.

Edit: OMG YES!!! Literally, after just posting this she shone!!! The blue moon actually appeared!! Yawn'd her to sleep, super fanged her health twice, and caught in the 1st dive ball!! So happy! She is 'relatively superior' with perfect IVs in HP, Sp Attack and Sp Defense. Synch failed, got gentle, but could care less at this point. So relieved this is over :D

Edit 2: NO WAY!! Mere hours after Cresselia, I find a beautiful turquoise Latios at Southern Island!! :D Caught in a timer ball, timid, with 'outstanding' potential and max IVs in sp attack, sp defense, and speed! Awesome! This is actually my second Latios. I caught another one all the way back in Heart Gold but didn't want to migrate it forward (same with my other HG shinies) as I like them following me lol. In shock, 2 shiny legends in 1 day!

Edit 3: Ok, was definitely not expecting to post again today. Checked out my mirage spots for the day, found a mirage island, and decided to random encounter for a while. Had my static Manectric out in front. Low and behold, within only a few hours I get a purple Zebstrika :D Timid (lol) and fantastic stats in both defences. Seriously, my AS gives me diddly squat for 6 days and then shoots out 3 within a matter of 7 hours!?

Good luck on all your hunts, especially TheShinyLunatone, who I saw is also hunting shiny Cresselia.

Last edited:

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck on your ongoing hunts!

I am now on day 16 of soft resetting for Regice with no luck thus far. I did take a brief break to check my Mirage islands and found a shiny Forretress. I'm hoping Regice shines soon, as I really want to go after Regigigas.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Decided to start MM'ing for another Tyrunt. I really like Tyrunt's shiny and with the HA introduced, I would love to breed one. Good lucl to everyone on your hunts.

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
Sorry to report back so soon, but I have my shiny Togepi now! I am pleased that this was brief. This means that while my game crashed, I had a short hunt and this breaks the series of coincidences. This shiny was from the 119th egg, Calm with Serene Grace and IVs are 31/31/31/31/31/x. Male and hatched today, February 20th.

Demonslayer492

Got it Memorized?
Congratz to all recent shinies.

Im still in my HG resetting Zapdos. This is day 8 so I think I've done at least 6000-7000 at close to 800-1000 a day. But surprisingly, I got bored of playing SM4SH last night and decided to do Cobalion on my AS. It shined this morning after midnight in 3. On top of the 200 I did a week ago. Now since Terrakion is tomorrow im doing one of the dogs until then. Which happens to be Suicune.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Congratulations on the latest shinies everyone!
I hope you don't mind if I add your post to the first post ;)

Not at all! It makes the main post more complete and informative. :3 Congratulations on your beautiful Ho-Oh, by the way!

As for me, well I haven't been hunting since the last time I posted here. I restarted my Alpha Sapphire game because I was unsatisfied with my team, so I probably won't be hunting until I complete the main story line.

Good luck everyone!

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to all of those who have found shinies recently!

I haven't been here in a little bit because I've been swamped with school this week and haven't had a whole lot of time to hunt. Tonight, though, I had an opportunity for a break, so I started dual hunting on Y and Alpha Sapphire. Well, to my surprise, I ended up hopping on the recent Cresselia hype train with a beautiful shiny Cresselia after 573 SRs!

This is my first shiny in ORAS, my third shiny legendary, and my second shortest non-MM hunt ever (only Totodile was quicker at 244 SRs). I was really taken aback when the shiny appeared - I was expecting this hunt to take a lot longer, but I'm not complaining! The battle took a good 10-15 minutes, but I ended up catching Cresselia in a Heal Ball after ~40 tries. I gave her the very original name Luna... although I was watching a program about a couple raising an owl named Luna when Cresselia appeared, so it was fitting. : D I didn't use a Synchronizer, but I got pretty lucky with a Docile nature and perfect IVs in HP, Defense, and Speed. Not bad!

As for my other hunts, Reshiram is at 5200 SRs, Route 8 is at 3200 REs, and the Bug-Catching Contest is at 2100 REs. I'm planning to resume my Latios hunt in Alpha Sapphire as well, and I'm getting close to starting my Noibat MM in X. Hopefully I'll have enough time to work on those this week.

Good luck to all of you on your hunts!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Shiny tentacool after 304 eggs! She's Calm and capable of taking hits, with her HA, Rain Dish. I'm very pleased :D I'll be training her once I finish the daily running around the FS looking for sparkly dragons. Pictures tomorrow ^_^

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/picture%20136_zpshz5h3zpf.jpg[/img139]

Kyurem is currently at 1,700 SRs and counting. I finished classes at the EDC today so I'll have more time to hunt while I wait for them to find me a work term for the next month.

Question: what's a good nature for a flygon?

Edit: After1,014 REs in the friend safari, I find a green-shelled, yellow-eyed shelgon! He's naughty and capable of taking hits, with his HA, Overcoat. I'll be evolving him into salamence via the battle chateau :D

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/picture%20140_zpspbievtww.jpg[/img139]

@Supremacy - I'll see your 2,497 eggs for buneary and raise you 7,029 for roggenrola.

Last edited:

taufik386

Congratz everyones with your recent shinies and good luck for your hunt :D

Report from my shiny quests :

1. MM-ing Burmy
2 days ago the shiny finally hatched after 308 eggs. Timid nature with 5IV, missing Sp. Def btw.
But the things that make me happy is.... its gender is male!!! Nicknamed it Qwerty :D

2. SR-ing Kyurem
Since Tuesday, Feb 10th i started to SR Kyurem. 11 days later, which means today, i finally got it.
Catched it in repeat ball after 2 luxury ball failed. Modest sync worked. Didn't check the IV yet. And I nicknamed it Icestorm.

3. Dexnaving Krabby
Well, this one still refuse to show me its shiny. But i'm not give up.

Other shinies that i got via dexnaving, shiny corsola, wurmple and surskit.

Next shiny quest :
1. MM-ing Buizel.
2. SR-ing Mesprit. Start today.
3. Continue with dexnaving Krabby.

Last edited:

darkpaladin2015

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to recent shinies!

So after my amazing luck yesterday, I've started a MM hunt for a contrary timid Snivy. I'm really worried though it will hatch with Overgrow, because pretty much all the offspring hatch with Overgrow. In the last 5 eggs, only one Snivy has hatched with its HA. The mother has Contrary, and according to sources online, it should be an 80% chance of passing on the Hidden Ability. Am I just being extremely unlucky?

Good luck on your hunts!

Edit: Oh man....I just hatched my shiny Snivy, and true to my fears it has Overgrow :( Gutted, this is the THIRD time I've attempted to Masuda a HA, and the third time its failed. I tried twice for Eevee, and they both failed too. Snivy is male, timid, 4IV (missing attack and defense) and hatched with egg moves mirror coat, glare and iron tail (don't ask lol). I guess I'll try again in the future. Whilst I'm gutted it doesn't have Contrary, I'm super happy I have a shiny Snivy as I love its colour.

Last edited:

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Gratz to Ponymon on Shinx, Sg0 on Lugia, Echo Nacyl on Scatterbug, Phillies on Tyrunt, Cyberra on Chimchar and Tentacool, Ampharos_Spark on Darkrai, Blastonite on Mankey, Razorbadger on Rattata, EdibleZebra on Mawile, LunarDarkness2 on Tepig, wobbanaut on Gurrdurr and Deerling, PKMN Trainer Gray on Riolu, Shine on Ho-Oh, darkpaladine2015 on Cresselia, Latios, Zebstrika and Snivy, LilyValley on Togepi, Crimson Penguin on Cresselia, taufik386 on Burmy and Kyurem, and everyone else on their shinies!

Question: what's a good nature for a flygon?

Jolly.

-------

So I've been hunting on Route 117 for my OR badge quest, which is an amazing route for me. There are 7 pokemon in this route and I only have 1 shiny here and that is Surskit which has a 1% encounter rate, so its pretty likely I'll get something new on this hunt. Although, a 1% shiny Surskit would be amazing so I wouldn't be mad at all if that happened =p. I'm mostly hoping for Roselia, Oddish, or Maril so crossing my fingers for one of those to shine.

So um, can we talk about Buneary? Yep, that MM hunt I started December 21st, LAST YEAR! Today makes this hunt 2 months old! 2,497 eggs and NADA! I mean, granted, it hasn't had my main attention like my OR badge quest but this is crazy! I'm pretty sure this is my 3rd longest MM hunt and slowly closing in for 2nd place if this keeps up. Shine already you damn bunny! I already have a nickname picked out for you and it ain't nice!

Good luck everyone. :]

TheMaster327

Well, it took a while, but after 5,556 SRs, a yellow genie appeared!

[img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0032_zps80ee16cf.jpg[/img139][img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0033_zps6aa99f94.jpg[/img139][img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0034_zps6ec17229.jpg[/img139][img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0035_zps076d4fa1.jpg[/img139]

The Psycho Shifting paralysis worked, but for some reason I'd taken False Swipe off my Sceptile, so I was left lobbing Ultra Balls at something with about 40% health left. No wonder it took nearly half of my 70-odd balls.

Adamant sync worked (yay) and it has the IVs: 31 / 31 / 0 / 12, 13 / 12, 13 / 31 so it's as frail as a newborn, defensively speaking. At least the 31s are in the right places though.

This also concludes my Omega Ruby Badge Quest! :) :) :)

Last edited: