• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
Yes Yes!! Finally after 2132 eggs shiny Tyrogue finally hatches!! Community Hunt Completed!

tyrogue_zps63546ccb.jpg

It has Adamant and the ability is Guts, so I'll be evolving it into an Intimidate Hitmontop! I was gonna MM for 2 more but I'm just gonna put that on hold for now.. I don't wanna hatch another Tyrogue for awhile lol. So I'll be moving onto MMing for a second Shroomish, hopefully with its dream world ability. Good luck everyone and another super mega awesome gratz on that Ducklett!

Rakurai

Well, I finally managed to get my first shiny in a fifth gen game.

It was a Sableye that I unintentionally hatched while attempting to breed a decent one for battling purposes, and on the fifth hatch, no less. I was using a Japanese Sableye, so it was MM'd.

I rather like shiny Pokemon that are gold, too.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
I don't know much about shinies, but I don't really see the point. Would anyone care to enlighten me? LOL

Just for fun. They serve no other particular purpose otherwise - they're not any stronger than regular pokemon and they don't benefit you more or less than regular pokemon. Some people like them because they're rare and it gives them excitement and satisfaction when they obtain one. Other people like them because it breaks the norm of always seeing the same colored sprite of the pokemon. Others still enjoy seeing particular colors on certain pokemon. Or all 3. And more. It's just another interest that some have and others don't.

Congrats on all of your shinies, everyone. Glad to see that Ducklett finally caught, especially after other people kept finding one sooner and quicker.

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Okay, so a little over a month after my Shiny Charmander I managed to find and catch the second on my Leaf Green Badge Quest. I had been using my time at school to rack up large amounts of RE's during my waiting. Managed to get over 2000 in three days of active hunting on Route 3. Well, today I decided to take a break from hunting at school. About an hour and a half ago, I decided to begin hunting again. After only about 30 minutes of hunting, I managed to find a Shiny Jigglypuff. While it wasn't one of the two I was really hoping for (Either of the Nidorans), it was one that I'd wanted simply on the grounds I've never used one. It is male, making it almost as rare as a Shiny Nidoran M on Route 3 in LG, and Calm. I caught it at the lowest level possible, which is Lv. 3. Now I'm going to move onto Diglett's Cave after beating Misty.

While I was not able to get any pics of it in the wild, mainly due to not wanting to screw it up and accidentally run/defeat it, I do have some pics of it.

Status Screen 1
Status Screen 2
In-Battle

Congrats on all shinies since the last time I posted (I tend to lurk mostly unless I get a Shiny/decide to make a status post).

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
I don't know much about shinies, but I don't really see the point. Would anyone care to enlighten me? LOL

Finding a shiny pokémon is all about luck, if you found a shiny after days of searching your feeling would be unexplainable. :3

Well and I beat the game and got all pokémon etc so now it's time to make a IG shiny team with right natures and hopefully right EV's for Pokémon X & Y.

BenYS

Shiny Hunting!
Yeah, the feeling when you actually get a shiny certainly makes it all worthwhile!

Currently I'm hunting my shiny Horsea, only a hundred eggs in but I will make better progress soon. Congrats on all the shinies, especially that Ducklett - true commitment to the cause!

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Well, I finally managed to get my first shiny in a fifth gen game.

It was a Sableye that I unintentionally hatched while attempting to breed a decent one for battling purposes, and on the fifth hatch, no less. I was using a Japanese Sableye, so it was MM'd.

I rather like shiny Pokemon that are gold, too.

Nice, I love gold shinies too :)

And it's on the fifth egg? That's such a great luck, congrats~

Jolly nature... is that good?

Unfortunately, that's a not exactly a good Nature seeing how shallow Swanna's Physical movepool is. Swanna is better going Mixed or fully Special.

And it has very low Speed IV too....

Still, congrats for finally getting a shiny female Ducklett. Swanna just looks off as a male, considering its appearance. Besides, Shiny Ducklett is pink :p

9947 REs....hopefully your next BQ shiny won't be that long.

Anyway, the only physical set for Swanna that I can think of is

~Dive (yes, this is its ONLY physical Water move)
~Brave Bird/Aerial Ace
~Return
~any filler move (Toxic/Tailwind, maybe?)

Also, congrats for everyone else who have obtained a new shiny, as for me, I'm still stuck with SR-ing Cresselia :p

Dylz

Trainer since 1997
Finally, after 49 eggs I got a female Bulbasaur and bred a Modest one. Time to start MMing. I'm gonna try and do atleast 100 a day. That's atleast 2.8k Eggs a month, and if it goes right, I'll have my Kanto Red based team ready before Pokémon X & Y comes out which gives me enough time to complete all of my games and get a living pokédex to transfer to pokémon X & Y. I hope my hunts don't take long though. =\ It's like 10% a day.

Wish me luck!

Archstaraptor

Team Builder / RMT
Question:for legendary pokemon, can they still be shiny if you've battled them once before?
For example,Heatran & Cresselia:I didn't capture them,yet I still defeated them.When they return,is there still a chance they'll be shiny?

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
Congrats on finally getting your shiny Ducklett, Master! ^_^ That took a while (but hey, at least it didn't take over 25,000 like my current HG hunt :p ). What number was that in your badge quest - do you have any more shinies to hunt for in it?

Congrats on all the other new shinies, too.

As for me, I'm now at 27,000 encounters in my Heart Gold badge quest... 3350 soft resets for shiny Thundurus, and just over 4200 encounters in my White 2 BQ (though it may be more like 5000 - I haven't checked in a while. ^^; )

Good luck guys.

Emily101

Froakie Trainer
I remember one time I started my Diamond game and literally just bought some pokeballs and I encountered a shiny Shinx at the start of the game. So much win. I used that shiny Shinx as my starter so to speak and it currently sits in my White 2 boxes at level 87. I will bring it to level 100 soon.

I have caught many shinies by chaining. It's actually relatively easy once you know how. I haven't played Diamond in a while but there is a place to chain where you can get shiny Tyrogue and Ralts and Nosepass really easily if you have time to concentrate. I have a shiny Hitmonchan (and it's Adamant, I almost died) with blue boxing gloves. I also have Gallade, Gardevoir and Probopass all from the same day or 2 where I was chaining lol.

In another game I encountered a shiny Starly which I thought was meh until it was fully evolved into a Staraptor :O It was just my flyer for that game so I didn't ev train it and now it sits in my White 2 computer but it's so cool!

I also encountered a shiny Tangela while I was ev training for defence (just south of Pallet Town I believe?)

There are more but I can't remember right now.

And now I have the shiny charm on White 2 for completing the national dex so hopefully there are many more shinies in my future!

Last edited:

RaichuArcanine

Hunting Sparkles
First off, congrats to all new shinies, especially TheMaster327's Shiny Ducklett! Great perseverance there. As for me, no new shiny news. I switched Turtwig SRing to hatching and pausing Chimchar for now. Ughh my Flocessy Ranch hunt for my White 2 Badge Quest has now reached, 12,633 RE's. Hoping to get as many done before my operation on Tuesday as I can. At 130 Turtwig hatched. Good luck to everyone, especially Heliotrope on her very very long HG BQ hunt.
~RaichuArcanine~​

Chingchar

Question:for legendary pokemon, can they still be shiny if you've battled them once before?
For example,Heatran & Cresselia:I didn't capture them,yet I still defeated them.When they return,is there still a chance they'll be shiny?

I think so since the game will see it as a new pokemon won't it? What are you trying to get shiny?

3rd day of hunting kyurem with multiple systems nothing so far... Not too bothered though as it is only the third day.

master of murkrow

Shiny Hunter
As I read this thread I see that some people are getting a little discouraged in their longer hunts, so I decided to keep their courage up by making a special event.

If you get a shiny in the month of january I will make a special badge for the shiny you got to put in your signature. I will only make one badge per person!

this way you will always remember that one shiny you caught.

This event starts on January 18th, so earlier shiny's are not eligble

happy hunting!

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
SHINY EEVVEEE SHINY EEVEE
1137 SRs omg its so beautiful!!!!!
its naughty natured and i got it from Bill
http://i45.*******.com/245cb9i.jpg
edit - im gonna evolve it into leafeon
OMG I MUST HAVE MISSED THE POST CONGRATS ON FINALLY GETTING DUCKLETT MASTER

Last edited:

Bluemiracle

Biologist
Almost 1700 Smoochum eggs hatched and nothing :/ I admit this has been slow because of my exames but god, 1700 eggs are 1700 eggs!

congrats on all the recent shinies, especially to TheMaster327! And good luck to the other people (like me xD)

Last edited:

HootingLilligant

<-MM Hunt (483, X)
What's with the gibberish message above?

Anyway, long time no see! Congratulations to TheMaster327 on the amazing Shiny Ducklett, and to everyone else on their new Shinies! I am resuming my Hunt for a Shiny Poliwag with its Hidden Ability, and also have signed up for the January International Challenge with my Shiny team, now including my new Shiny Emolga! (I don't expect to do well, I just entered for fun. Oh, and the Jaboca Berry.) Good luck to everyone on their Hunts as usual!