• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

HootingLilligant

<-MM Hunt (483, X)
Wow! An amazing number of Shinies here! Congrats to everyone!

I'm up to almost 500 Poliwag hatched, but I need confirmation on a mathematical/logical question I have relating to Shininess.

A. Personality Value affects IVs and Nature
B. Everstone/Power item breeding affects Nature/IVs
C. Shininess is determined by original Trainer ID/SID and Personality Value

Therefore, Everstone/Power item breeding may affect Shininess, am I right? Just wanted to clarify, since I'm not using MM.

As usual, good luck to everyone!

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
I also have a question.

Is it fine to RE in a dead battery Sapphire, and would it be like REing on a normal game?

supersmew

Let me heal your ⓗ♈ʒ
I'm deciding onece I've done 90 eggs of my Secret target, I'll do some hatching for...

*Belly Drum roll*

CHINGLING!

For the CH... I like choosing Pokémon that haven't been done for the CH. And I always liked Chimecho.

it just feels incomplete if I don't have a Shiny Seviper as well

It feels hollow...

Last edited:

HootingLilligant

<-MM Hunt (483, X)

HootingLilligant

<-MM Hunt (483, X)
That's all right, I answered my own question. Power items do not affect the Shininess of a hatched Pokemon. However, by using the Everstone to set the Nature of a hatched Pokemon (assuming 100% chance in B2/W2), if that Pokemon has its Hidden Ability, you are reducing the odds of it hatching Shiny by one-fourth. Because Shiny odds are 8/65536 instead of 1/65536, what your Trainer ID/SID is has no real bearing on Shininess.

So, essentially, my odds of hatching a Shiny Poliwag with its Hidden Ability, and without the Masuda Method, are 1/8192 (base Shiny odds) * 60% (Hidden Ability chance) * 75% (offset for Hidden Ability from Everstone) = 1/8192 * 45% = 1/18204 (rounded to the nearest whole number).

Source: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Personality_value

Last edited:

EmiiLava

Joltik Queen <3
That's all right, I answered my own question. Power items do not affect the Shininess of a hatched Pokemon. However, by using the Everstone to set the Nature of a hatched Pokemon (assuming 100% chance in B2/W2), if that Pokemon has its Hidden Ability, you are reducing the odds of it hatching Shiny by one-fourth. Because Shiny odds are 8/65536 instead of 1/65536, what your Trainer ID/SID is has no real bearing on Shininess.

So, essentially, my odds of hatching a Shiny Poliwag with its Hidden Ability, and without the Masuda Method, are 1/8192 (base Shiny odds) * 60% (Hidden Ability chance) * 75% (offset for Hidden Ability from Everstone) = 1/8192 * 45% = 1/18204 (rounded to the nearest whole number).

You gotta be kidding me. 970+ eggs i've been breeding my DW Jolteon, Scout, and Rodney my non-DW ability Jolteon for and I everstoned Rodney the Non-DW Jolteon. Does that still mean i'm lowering my chances by one-fourth?Gosh this sux if this is true... T_T I swapped parent eeveelutions to my non-DW umbreons, everstoned the quiet natured umbreon, and power item'd the 22 sp.atk IV on the other umbreon just incase.

Congratiez on the recent shinies, and GL to all~!

Dylz

Trainer since 1997

Wait... I'm hatching with the everstone in B2W2 & With the Masuda Method. Are the chances still 1/1,024? I'm not using any ability or power items.

cocoadragon

Shiny Hunter
Last edited:

HootingLilligant

<-MM Hunt (483, X)
Actually, disregard that. It does not lower Shiny odds at all, because the DW Ability may always take up the 1st ability slot, but that has no bearing on whether the personality value is even or odd, much like when a Pokemon can only have one non-DW Ability.

Actually, as a matter of fact, since the DW ability uses up as many even PV possibilities as odd PV possibilities, the DW Ability is unaffected, while each of the non-DW Abilities is equally odds-reduced by one-fourth, due to the even PV requirement for the first Ability, and the odd PV requirement for the second Ability. This only applies when DW-Ability breeding for a Shiny with 2 non-DW Abilities.

One more thing: Everstone has no bearing on this, since the last bit of the PV would be fixed regardless for non-DW Abilities.

Last edited:

TheMaster327

Well, this was always a risk with Lucky Power... Have run into a male shiny Watchog... It appeared 436 encounters into the hunt. Will have another chance at Seviper later on, but damn that sucks! Well, better catch it then... Yay, I guess...

Quirky nature, I'll have pics in a bit...

EDIT: IVs...
HP: 31
Att: 22-24
Def: 24-26
S.Atk: 7-9
S.Def: 21-23
Spd: 23-25

WHY OH WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE WATCHOG WHO GETS DECENT IVS...?

EDIT2: PICS!
171248.jpg

171252.jpg

171304.jpg

171308.jpg

Stats are a bit blurry, so...
HP: 95/95
Att: 70
Def: 60
S.Atk: 48
S.Def: 59
Spd: 65

Yeah, I turned it into the one I had on my team anyway, but this one has Illuminate!

Last edited:

Dangertrout

Guys, there is a question thread to ask these things, so plz don't fill up this thread with questions. thank you

Actually, look at the second line of the OP:
"This is the place to discuss shinies you obtained in any generation, ask questions regarding shinies or participate in the community shiny hunt!"

I also have a question.

Is it fine to RE in a dead battery Sapphire, and would it be like REing on a normal game?

It depends on where your shiny frames are. If they're about 3-4 hours in the game, then it's fine, but if it's 24 hours into the game it would be more annoying, because everytime you boot up the game it would restart your RNG at the beginning point.

Last edited:

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Congrats for anyone already getting a new shiny :)

Looks like I won't do this month's CH, I still haven't got that Shiny Cresselia and I didn't even do any SR today due to being busy....I'm already curious what the next CH will be :p

Well, this was always a risk with Lucky Power... Have run into a male shiny Watchog... It appeared 436 encounters into the hunt. Will have another chance at Seviper later on, but damn that sucks! Well, better catch it then... Yay, I guess...

Quirky nature, I'll have pics in a bit...

Looking at your sig....well, at least it's a shiny you don't have, and the best part is, you now can challenge the next Gym before continuing with your BQ :p

And it has a neutral nature too, which is good enough for an RE shiny.

FINALLY AFTER 9222 REs IN ETERNA FOREST A PINK EAR BUNNY DECIDES TO SPARKLE
its hardy nature
http://i45.*******.com/32zow9u.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ61WETRWXc

eww, male Buneary XD

Heliotrope

it shone! ^_^
eww, male Buneary XD

I love male Buneary - they're the only kind I want. I delighted when my shiny Buneary turned out to be male. ^_^

Now at 28,300 encounters in my Heart Gold BQ. Over 5200 encounters in my White 2 BQ. 3450 SR for shiny Thundrurus, and 90 Solosis eggs hatched.

Good luck everybody.

supersmew

Let me heal your ⓗ♈ʒ
I wanted to ask, hwo do you guys hatch eggs so fast? I can barely hatch 30 per day.

O.T: Preparing for that moment when I hit 90 eggs of my secret target and begin Chingling. I'm still keeping my hunt secret >w<.

EDIT: @master of murkrow Pass Powers?

Last edited:

master of murkrow

Shiny Hunter
I wanted to ask, hwo do you guys hatch eggs so fast? I can barely hatch 30 per day.

O.T: Preparing for that moment when I hit 90 eggs of my secret target and begin Chingling. I'm still keeping my hunt secret >w<.

I use a pokemon with the flae body ability so it cuts the steps needed in half. and pass powers are also nice solutions to reduce the steps

Terra Force

<-- Current Hunt
Congrats on shinies recently everybody, like cocoadragon and TheMaster. Personally I like shiny watchog. Also there are much worse shinies.

Currently at 3,030 REs in my SS BQ. Hoping to get it before 5K since I don't have much hunting inspiration.

Good luck all!

It is I-

Well, I have now hit 1070 eggs in my Budew Odyssey. If I hit 1400 then I'll have to take a break and do other things which leads to my question. If you turn off battle animations is the shiny animation still played, or do I have to memorize the shiny sprites for every pokemon in the area that I am hunting in?

Congratulations and good luck to all.

MuseHarmonia

~♥Raichu♥~
I am currently trying to get at least 5 shiny Gothitas. I have 3, two more. I have ran into 1,534 random encouters and still going. It's going to be a long day. On the bright side I, hatched a Trapinch that was shiny on my first try! New record for me. xD

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
I'm currently having an internal struggle :x Getting really eager to start my Platinum BQ, but at the same time, I'd really like my shiny Umbreon...About half an hour ago, I decided I'd hit the next hundred RE mark and then start my Platinum BQ (and RE Eevee anytime I need a break from that), but now I'm going to try to stick with REing Eevee...I know it's a real struggle when I keep changing my mind so quickly >.<

I also had a dream last night that I found 2 shiny Eevee's in a row, then a non-shiny, and then a third shiny...Oh, this hunt!

Congrats on all the recent shinies...Sorry to hear about that Watchog...While a shiny is a shiny, it's DEFINITELY one I hope never to encounter unless it's by complete chance and not while I'm hunting for something else.

Good luck, everyone!

EDIT: Well, I've changed my mind again. I'm going to start hunting on Platinum! Eevee won't be forgotten though, because I'll still switch between these hunts. I really wanted to find Eevee before starting my Platinum BQ so that I could put all my focus into it, rather than switch between hunts, but I think Eevee is slowing down for a couple reasons...For one, I'm getting really tired of the time it's taking to even encounter an Eevee, with probably a third of them taking over 45 seconds, and 45 seconds of incessant back-and-forth button pushing trying to move spots as little as possible to save on repels gets tiring fast...And then I end up getting distracted and doing NO hunting. Plus, I hunt sitting on my bed since I can't change directions if I'm lying down, and sitting like that for too long can get annoying. So Eevee is far from forgotten, but the time spent hunting won't just be on Eevee anymore...Now to begin Platinum...

Last edited: