• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Meowth City

Staff member
Well, I called it. I've been trying to find a Carbink with Sturdy and the only way to get one in-game is in hordes, but the chances of finding a single Carbink in a Roggenrola horde is so abysmally low, let alone one with the right ability. I had a feeling that I would find a shiny before I get it and after many, many Sweet Scents later, I found a shiny Mime Jr. AND a shiny Roggenrola almost back to back.

I saw the green Mime Jr. immediately when it appeared, but since Roggenrola appeared so soon after the Mime Jr. (around 10 encounters later), I completely missed the sparkles and the sound was down. I was watching some YouTube videos at the time and was about to run away from the encounter, but luckily when I looked down, I noticed the purple shiny.

So, I still don't have my HA Carbink, but I did manage to get two shiny Pokemon instead. Not bad. Not bad at all. I think I'll stay in the Reflection Cave until I get that Carbink. Who knows, I might get lucky and find another shiny or two before I do.

Edit: Yay, finally got that elusive Sturdy Carbink, but not before I found yet another shiny Roggenrola and shiny Mime Jr. Oddly enough, this pair were the opposite genders of the first pair, so that's pretty sweet. I'm very happy that I continued my hunt. The result was worth it.

Last edited:

Ampharos_Spark

Gen 6 = <3
Congrats to Cyberra on Oddish x2 & Sawsbuck & Trevanent & Quilladin & Vivillon & Paras & Shuppet & Dusclops, Blasting Toise on Nidoran M, Alexander18 on Shuppet & Carvanha & Doduo & Psyduck & Girafarig, Crimson Penguin on Shroomish and Lapras, ShiningKnightXY on Kyurem & Mesprit, Red Jirachi on Wingull & Audino, gerehead on Whismur, razor fire on Reshiram & Ho-oh & Latias, BenYS on Zigzagoon, Cpchris on Heracross, F.Fayth on Feebas & Clauncher & Absol, serpent222 on Tyrunt & Cranidos, Phillies on Combee & Makuhita & Aron x2 & Ferroseed & Pyroar & Fraxure & Mankey & Shelgon & Misdreavus & Cherrim & Vanillite, SkyMew on Groudon & Kyogre, Greedy Chibi on Croagunk, Cheeze IOW on Suicune, Twilit Dragoon on Paras, taufik386 on Noibat & Stunky & Foongus & Hoppip & Crawdaunt & Sharpedo & Bagon & Excadrill & Cacnea & Whiscash & Tynamo & Trapinch & Claydol & Snorunt & Sealeo & Timburr & Lotad & Mankey & Pelipper & Chinchou & Sandshrew & Axew & Ditto & Golbat & Abra & Regirock & Karrablast, Shabadoo on Latias, Wobbanut on Pikachu & Minccino, MultiDarkShadow777 on Trapinch, umbreonfan3636 on Abra, TheMaster327 on Munna x2, ChaoticInverse on Drifloon, Steelcry on Tranquil, Raptor737 on Latios, Meoth City on Mime.Jr & Roggenrola and anyone else I may have missed since my last post.

So, I still don't have my HA Carbink, but I did manage to get two shiny Pokemon instead. Not bad. Not bad at all. I think I'll stay in the Reflection Cave until I get that Carbink. Who knows, I might get lucky and find another shiny or two before I do.

If you're not too hard set on getting a sturdy Carbink in Reflecting Cave, I could give you one of the flawless ones I hatched during my own MM hunt if you want.

Anyway, I come bearing shiny news once again! So last week I stock piled up some eggs in my PC on Thursday and Friday and was hatching them yesterday after work. after about three hours, while watching some YouTube videos, I saw one of my eggs hatch and was like "oh red... RED!" and thus this lovely red shrimp... lobster... thing hatched!
[IMG139]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/DarkSuicune/100-IMGA0923_zpsbigvrqtk.jpg[/IMG139]
Shiny Clawitzer is so awesome so I can't wait to EV train her and evolve her! Her IVs are 31/31/31/31/31/11. More pictures OT/ID, Summary, Pokemon-Amie and Video.

Good luck to everyone hunting, especially those with stubborn targets!

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Well, I will begin hunting Uxie later tonight when it appears seeing as it is the only Lake Trio member I am missing. I know beggers can't be choosers, but I would greatly appreciate a successful sync after how my last 5 SRs all failed to sync. After Uxie I may continue MM'ing my Quick Feet Teddiursa or I might choose to hunt something for the CH. Good luck on your hunts everybody, especially Meowth City with those low odds.

StrongBad456

Beginning Trainer
Over the past couple weeks, I've hatched 3 shiny Pokemon. First was a Shiny Miltank that I thought would never hatch, then a shiny Mareep that I hatched in very little time(the 9th egg of that day), and today, a shiny Swirlix after very few eggs. Now I'm going for a shiny Combee. These have been some of the fastest MM successes I've ever had and I'm very happy. Good Luck everyone hunting and congratulations on obtained shinies.

taufik386

congrats meowth city on your mime jr and rogenrolla, strongbad on your miltank, mareep and swirlix, ampharos shark on your clauncher ( i love clauncher :D ) and everyone else since my last post.

and good luck to tina (thanks too :D), shiningknight and strongbad

well, i hached a shiny too. it's a shiny castform after 580 eggs. it's female and has modest nature, IV spread missing in speed.
other shinies, silcoon and cascoon via dexnav, pumpkaboo and charmeleon from friend safari.

on going hunting, tornadus reached 350 SRs. drowzee and houndour at 90 eggs, and nodoran at 240 eggs.
as the replacement for castform, i'll go for vulpix.

good luck everyones on your current hunting.

Last edited:

Aesnath

But Nothing Happened
Hello again everyone! As always, congrats to those who were successful (Cyberra x2, taufik386 x2, TheMaster327 [they’re adorable!], ShiningKnightXY, ChaoticInverse, piemaster924000 [I’ve gotten to where I try not to encounter pokes other than the target on a shiny hunt for just that reason], Steelcry, Alexander18, Phillies, Raptor737 [that was fast!], Meowth City [sort of], Ampharos Spark, ) and good hunting to those still on hunts (Lorde [mixed hostile hordes suck], AquaRegisteel [you’re braver than I am], Cpchris, Tina [God at the Archen SRs!]).

So, after about a month solid of trying to get a shiny Kyogre on HeartGold, it happened on Saturday afternoon. I nearly had a heart attack. I had given into despair and, really, was starting to hate SRing. Anyway, it popped up and I spore’d and false swipe’d it until it was asleep at one. I had a whole gameplan going in to try and ensure that it would go into a Johoto ball, in that I was going to start with loveballs (which I think look neat with the shiny) and then, after a fashion, work into level balls (which I figured would have a 4x catch rate due to a level 100 parasect on my end), finishing with a masterball only if necessary. At any rate, I got lucky again and it went in on about the 10th loveball. This is my first (nonscripted) shiny in a non-gen 6 game. It’s naïve natured (not so bad) and I’m pretty happy about the experience overall. I was surprised to learn that shiny pokes are colored correctly when following you in the overworld (I sort of thought it was something special they did for Gyarados).

I also wanted to comment that, if not for the encouragement of this thread (by having seen others succeed in older games despite long hunts) I would have never even thought it possible to catch the pink whale. So thanks everyone!

Now I’m thinking about what to do next. I sort of feel like taking a break from HG SRing and to go for something easier. However, I am thinking about my next HG shiny legend run. Articuno will probably be next, and depending on how that goes, maybe mewtwo.

Also, and maybe someone can help me with this, does anyone know if a Shaymin caught via the surf glitch on Japanese Diamond/Pearl can be shiny? If so, will there be any problems transferring it to gen 6? I think I saw someone catch a shiny Shaymin in this thread, so I know it is possible in some context, I’m just not sure which.

TheEliteEmpoleon

Wow: A lot of recent shinies! Congrats to all of them. My hunting has been at a standstill recently, as my brother somehow kinda broke my 3ds. Good luck to all of you guys though!

tomatohater

Golden Sun 4?
Gawd, I haven't posted in what, like 8 months :/

Eh, I don't know if I posted this, but about 3 months ago, I got my Shiny Vulpix. Took 19 boxes if I remember correctly, and I luckily got Drought :) Has perfect IV's in HP, Sp.Attack, Sp.Defence and Speed, so I am pleased! I will definitely EV train her up and use her competitively, but I want to try and think of a good nickname. I was thinking of Hi-Kitsune (I have used that one before on a Ninetales), but I am not too sure. Any thoughts?

Good luck on all of your hunts!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
The Shiny gods have smiled upon me: Late last night I was fishing in Cyllage City on my main Y version and I randomly encountered a Shiny Horsea! I caught it in a Quick Ball and was really pleased since I love the species. Then this morning as I fished like crazy at Route 8 for a Shellder, I encountered a Shiny Skrelp which I caught too. That's two Shinies within 10 hours, a first for me. I guess consecutive fishing does work. :p

Twilit Dragoon

*omnious thunderstorm*
Congrats on your new shinies everyone. Generic congrats because I'm too lazy :p.

The other day I got bored of my other targets in LeafGreen, so I decided to spend some time SRing for the Johto starters in HeartGold. I wasn't really expecting much out of it, but merely 2 hours later I got my favorite one:

[img139]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t237/Storm_Dragoon/IMG_0361_zpscdy9ejsa.jpg[/img139]

Shiny Totodile! I don't think I had more than 500 SRs for it when it showed up :). I wasn't really expecting to get shiny Totodile, as the other two were more prone to shining :p. After taking that picture, I checked my new shiny Totodile and it was Jolly, a perfect nature for it! I already have it EV trained and am now leveling it up to evolve into Croconaw.

More pics:

Jolly nature!
Trainer ID

~

Now this next shiny means Community Hunt Complete!

Yesterday there was a power outage to do some maintenance with the service around here, so I didn't have much to do other than shiny hunt. I was SRing for a secret target I have, but I got bored of that, so I decided to SR for Omanyte. That got boring very quickly, so I grabbed my other FireRed and started hunting. I left Diglett's Cave, my original hunting spot, and decided to do a few REs on route 11. Surprisingly, only FOUR REs into the hunt:

[img139]http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t237/Storm_Dragoon/IMG_0365_zpsz3zd9jhb.jpg[/img139]

Shiny freaking Drowzee appeared :D. I knew it was shiny in the shadow, so I blasted the DS volume to hear the sparkles. I was out in the kitchen at the time, and dad shook his head at me when I got up to do a dance XD.

It was a pretty easy capture, after paralyzing it with Thunder Wave, two Pokeballs later and it was mine.

More pics:

DS shot
Impish nature
Stats

~

I probably won't get much chance to shiny hunt, as I have recently started a new job :). It is going to be busy for the next few months, so hunting will be limited until my days off, which will be few and far between for a while.

I am hunting another target in my Japanese LeafGreen. I decided to scrap the hunt for a second Lucky Egg, I already have 2 shinies from the Safari Zone, and don't want to push my luck :p. I'm currently REing in the Power Plant for now, not bothering to keep track of the REs again this time. I'm hoping for a shiny Pikachu out of the 4 available Pokemon, but will be happy with whatever I get.

Hopefully work won't cut into my hunting time too much, but we'll see. See you guys next time :).

Last edited:

Tina

Boy Skylark
Also, and maybe someone can help me with this, does anyone know if a Shaymin caught via the surf glitch on Japanese Diamond/Pearl can be shiny? If so, will there be any problems transferring it to gen 6? I think I saw someone catch a shiny Shaymin in this thread, so I know it is possible in some context, I’m just not sure which.

Nothing in gen 4 is shiny locked, so you can hunt for it, but wether it'll get through bank is another thing... The event was never released for Daimond and Pearl (including Japan) so it's unlikely Pokebank will let it through, but I'm not too sure, if you have a Platinum then hunt it on Platinum instead, since the event was released on that game. Pokebank's flag raising system is pretty unreliable, I transferred quite a few shiny competitive Shaymins when Pokebank was just released in Japan and a bunch more stuff too, everything went through a legality check beforehand and the only thing that didn't make it through bank was a event Pikachu with fly (though I did manage to get it transferred in the end haha).
I'm not too familiar with the surfing glitch, was it the thing with the elite four? I assume it has something to do with tweaking. :p Good luck with your hunt!

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Ugh, finally! After 6,131 hordes/30,655 pokemon seen, I finally get a blue 'shroom!

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/180_zpsphhrijkm.jpg[/img139]

He's hardy and likes to fight, with Effect Spore. I'm gonna evolve him, then resume my snover MM. Next horde hunt will be Route 21. Hoping for scyther but likely to get spinda

Heatran is at 15,300 SRs. Snover is at 1,340 eggs.

ShiningKnightXY

<----Newest Shiny
Well, I did not expect this so soon, but I have already completed another Soft Reset hunt. I forgot to save in front of Uxie within the one-hour timeframe so I decided to try for Suicune last night. After a little over 100 srs this morning, I got Suicune almost as fast as I did Raikou. Named Kami-no-Kaze after the Japanese god of wind, this Suicune also failed to sync correctly with an Impish nature rather than Modest. It's strongest IVs are HP, Defense, and Sp.Def so I can at least use it as a wall. Tonight I plan on actually reaching Uxie for my full hunt. Good luck everybody.

SkyMew

Congratulations to everyone above!

About 30 minutes ago... I managed to get a Modest Shiny Rayquaza in my Sapphire version.

That means, I now have the whole weather trio Shiny.

Besides the Rayquaza, I have been trying for a Shiny starter in Soul Silver.

No luck yet, but again, I'm glad I got the Rayquaza sooner than I thought.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
Hey guys! Congratulations on the latest shinies! :D

I managed to hatch 150 eggs for Audino, with no shiny in the end. I'm not surprised, and I probably won't stop now. Hopefully I can get it under 1000 eggs.

Good luck everyone!

TheMaster327

Yay! After 717 eggs, a sword bathed in blood hatches!
[img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0070_zpsys5psrwf.jpg[/img139][img139]http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/TheMaster327/HNI_0071_zpszs3ntaoe.jpg[/img139]

Shiny Honedge! She's Quiet, with IVs: 31 / 15 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 and three egg moves including Shadow Sneak :) Overall not bad at all!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Currently at 2100 w/shiny Charm for Uxie, and have been doing so for at least 1400 tries. You know, I thought that i with a mere 1 in 1400 or so chance, this'd be a lot easier. Then again, I'm over double the 8192 chance for my shiny Mewtwo in FR. In order, my shiny hunts will involve: Uxie, Regice, Azelf, Registeel, Mesprit, Kyurem and Lugia

Cyberra

pain in the ***
The friend safaris really seem to be cooperating with me (even if the MMs aren't...). My last couple of fs hunts I've gotten my targets without getting the ones I didn't want, and this hunt was no exception.

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/186_zps5hdisoep.jpg[/img139]

Shiny female machoke after 1,433 REs. She's hasty and likes to thrash about, with No Guard. Once I find a trade partner I'll get her evolved. Will be moving to another fighting safari after throh and hariyama.

Heatran is at 15,700 SRs. Snover is at 1,520 eggs.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Ampharos_Spark on Clawitzer, StrongBad456 on Miltank and Mareep and Swirlix, taufik386 on Castform, Aesnath on Kyogre, tomatohater on Vulpix, Twilit Dragoon on Totodile and Drowzee, ShiningKnightXY on Suicune, SkyMew on Rayquaza, TheMaster327 on Honedge, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the congrats, Ampharos_Spark! And thank you for the luck, Tina and Aesnath :)

-----------

Did 300 SRs for Johto starters today and 100 SRs for Chimchar, but still nothing shines, leaving the Johto starters at 4,600 SRs and Chimchar at 2,500 SRs.

But something DID shine for me today! On the 91st SR for the day and after a total of 7,091 SRs, shiny Palkia appeared!

[IMG200] http://i.imgur.com/WCwukps.jpg[/IMG200][IMG200] http://i.imgur.com/gAN47El.jpg[/IMG200]

I was in the SHU chat when it appeared, and had just responded to TheMaster327 about his future hunt when I saw it appearing! Battle took a little longer than it should have, mainly because I didn’t bother getting the last 1/3 of its health down until 10 pokeballs later…

Naïve, Highly Persistent, and IVs are: 12 – 17 – 27 – 19 – 19 – 5. Could be better, could be worse. Now I have the trio – and my first legendary trio at that! Far more meaningful and special to me than the two sets of the (meaningless/worthless) GameStop version of the trio. And alas, the easiest legends to catch in a pokeball are out of the way…I think my next toughest legendary will be Moltres since it has Safeguard, but that’s a long while away (Mewtwo, Articuno, Zapdos all probably before Moltres).

I decided on my next hunt…A repel trick for Machop. I decided I really did want to just finish up this evolutionary line and get it out of the way. A level 8 repel trick on Route 207 means I’ll only find Machop…Sadly, it also means it could take around 20 seconds to get an encounter (even with a fainted illuminator)…So this is a hunt that I’ll be hoping doesn’t take too long, moreso than with other hunts. Wasn’t originally planning on going right back to a repel trick so soon after my 10 months for Scyther, either!

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Lorde, Shy, Ruru_star, sksilax1234, Cyberra, ChaoticInverse, and Nakashima)!

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I apologize for not mentioning this sooner, but can someone please give me a list of all of Byron & Giovanni's Pokemon across all media? :p

I decided to just count fathers instead of including grandfathers as well, since 5 father characters (Byron, Giovanni, Birch, Norman, and Koga) gives us plenty of Pokemon already.