• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Shiny Lord

Congrats on the Shiny Reshiram! It is an amazing shiny!(I have one also)

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Found one! Shiny NOT-a-mankey!

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/200_zpswoljzwox.jpg[/img139]

After 3,216 REs, hariyama finally decides to appear. He's timid and capable of taking hits, with Thick Fat. I'm gonna move over to another safari after throh, as I am sick of getting mankey. The other safari has meditite, throh, and riolu.

Heatran is at 18,100 SRs. Shelmet is at 200 eggs. Route 19 is at 400 hordes.

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Phase #2 of my Route 12 Kalos hunt completed, alas not with the result i had wanted and to make matters slightly worse, it's one of the shinies i had hoped to avoid, but that's shiny hunting via RE for ya :)

[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-06/C23BA899-EEF1-48FA-BD7E-C296B03093F9_zpso9bthjrn.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-06/913616CC-BC6D-46F2-950F-B469235430A7_zpso8emuhpg.jpg[/IMG139]

Taking a break from Route 12, as i will for each Phase of this hunt, so that i can SR for a Shiny Omanyte. I'm gathering up the necessary Fossils so i can do at least 20 at a time. :)

Hey guys... been a while, havnt been playing much pokemon, really. Anyways im thinking of doing an all shiny team for double battles but im not really feeling it right now so i might just breed whatever pokemon i feel like... My most recent shiny was a oddish from a horde in omega ruby, i plan to evolve it into a vileplume eventually and then sometime find or breed another one for bellosom.
good luck to everyone hunting and congrats on all those shiny pokemon since i last posted

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck on your ongoing hunts (especially those with long running hunts)!

It's been a pretty good week for shinies for me. Last Friday, Entei shined; completing the legendary beast trio. I want to move on to Mesprit, but for some reason it will not appear for me even though I am following the guidelines on Serebii.

Through DexNav, I found shiny Kricketune on Monday. I've wanted the golden cricket for a while, so I was pretty happy with that. Tuesday night I was hunting Zebstrika and found one after about 100 encounters. I flew via Eon Flute to another Mirage Island and decided to hunt Sunkern. It appeared in the first encounter. This is the first time I have ever had back to back shiny encounters and probably never will again.

I have been hunting in the friend safari the last couple of days to finish off some targets there. I have found two Emolgas and another Boldore thus far. I am switching between safaris for Electabuz, Rhydon, and Slugma.

PrincessPeachy

Princess in Training
New to the thread :) I just started Shiny Hunting again after a long break (last time I did it was a year ago...?). I was into competitive breeding for a while so that ate up most of my time (only about 2 shiny pokemon during that. Oh well!) but now that I've got every pokemon I want with the IVs I want, I decided to start going for Shinies! But to start, some success stories these last few days..

1. I started to look up methods on how to get shiny pokemon in Omega Ruby. While I started backtracking to pick up some items to help, a shiny zubat appeared in Meteor Falls! Managed to easily catch her and will train her to be a lovely crobat soon.

2. Jumped down to Route 101 to learn how to chain in OR. It's surprisingly simple but I do have some mishaps of moving too fast. While I was sweet scenting hordes to try and get my Zigzagoon level up, a shiny appeared! I really wasn't expecting that but had some pokeballs on me, thankfully. Little guy is now in the box with the others.

3. Couple of weeks back I started running up my Platinum again. My shiny count on there is pretty low (and all have mostly been transferred) but as I was getting rid of eggs in my boxes, a Shiny Shinx appeared! He'll be transferred soon to Omega Ruby with my living dex and levelled up to a good amount.

Right now, I'm gearing up for SRing Legendaries in Omega Ruby (so stoked when I heard you can get them by SR!) and Platinum I'm still clearing out eggs so I can attempt a shiny Purugly. Good luck to everyone else looking this weekend!

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
Hey everyone, been a couple of weeks since my last post.

I may have said this already here, but FireRed delivered a shiny a while back! My first of Safari Month was a shiny Rhyhorn. Did I catch it though? At ~1,360 REs iirc, it was very fast to appear. But yes, did I succeed?

...No. First ball shook twice, and then it fled. Later that same day, I found that my FRLG games were both fakes. Maybe it was better to lose the Rhyhorn that way after all.

However, I have more recent shiny news! After a good few hordes in AS, my target shone:

Why yes, a shiny Magnemite! I had the nickname in mind beforehand. I plan on EVing it and evolving it into Magneton at some point.

Meanwhile, my big hunt for a pre-6th Gen Magnemite / Magneton is currently at 18,130 REs or 9,065 REs on each game. I hope it shines quickly! My other hunts have slowed down though. My route 6 hunt is off for now, as my Black game is being used for a challenge playthrough. I'm using at least 40 different Pokemon in rotation, so it means I need a lot of Audino grinding to level things up. A shiny, possibly? Hopefully, as I am going to level everything up to Lv50/52 before the Elite Four.

Good luck :)

kirkeastment

Completing The Trio
Congrats AquaRegisteel on the Shiny Magnemite, that's one of the few Shinies were the slight palette changes it has from its non-shiny counterpart make it look so good. :)

I decided earlier today to ditch my attempts to obtain a 3rd Shiny Cyndaquil, or at least ditch my attempts at an increased odds(Shiny Charm on AS) Shiny Cyndaquil.

I took this step because i just couldn't stand not being able to hunt in any of my ORAS games, given the myriad of Shinies i still need to obtain i had to free up this game for shiny hunting purposes. I could have switched my OR game onto the 3DS which i was playing AS on, but i do not like switching games to different consoles.

Anyway.... lol.... after doing this, i decided to go straight after a target i had wanted for a while, which is Shiny Grimer & this is when it gets really interesting :D

I made my way to the back entrance of Fiery Path(after Eon Fluting to the wrong Route lol). Took a step inside, saved the game and proceeded to Sweet Scent.... and then WHAM!!! On the very first HE, this beauty appeared;

[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-06/4D756682-3B07-4608-93CD-548C972D5357_zps4kiueglf.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-06/7B552E20-33FE-4F1C-A213-53D910637B5D_zpsqydmw9wn.jpg[/IMG139]

It's at this stage i just played around a bit, and saved the game right after, but rather than keep going, after a further 15-20 HE's i thought to myself that that shiny appeared real quick and i decided to use a silly tactic akin to that which i used with HG/SS(wherein every 50-100 Starter SR's i would start a new file, just because it's nice to trick yourself into thinking it makes a difference).

So knowing that i had already saved the game after capturing the Shiny Slugma, i decided to SR. After around 40 HE's, this fellow appeared;

[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-06/4534D070-284B-475E-A919-13129B4AC17B_zpsbd158swk.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-06/5EC92E79-772F-4B84-BC6B-5541BA04770D_zpsnzdlqfe8.jpg[/IMG139]

So there i am 2/2 on HE Shinies, one of which i was like WOW at, since Slugma is the rarest Horde Pokemon in Fiery Path & the other, Numel, i was sort of *Really?* because i already caught one on my OR game, but this will make a nice Camerupt i guess. :D

Then i repeat the process i explained earlier and SR'd after saving. It's at this point that these sort of stories really make you believe this sort of thing actually works.... It doesn't of course, but it makes you think lol

After less than 10 HE's, i had found the target i started the hour looking for.... which is such a funny statement to make... *the hour* which resulted in 3 Shinies. :D

[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-06/0EFFB9C1-AC65-4813-B28A-CECDE441476E_zpsicyiexmn.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn62/kirkeastment/Mobile%20Uploads/2015-06/6BDF4898-490E-49AA-AF56-7842DDB29BFC_zpst2ytqpvg.jpg[/IMG139]

All in all, i am speechless.... tired too mind you, as i had spent most of the day SR'ing in Pokemon Y for a Shiny Omanyte(up to around 700+ Omanyte seen so far and probably around 50 Kabuto(a few seem to make it into each batch i gather, as i don't pay attention to when my Helix Fossils run out).

I just kept saying to myself after each Shiny appeared.... How? How is this happening? lol

So yeah, that's a heck of a great day for me and even though i don't yet have that Shiny Omanyte, i can't be disappointed after having all of these appear within an hour. :D

I am going back to SR'ing for this Shiny Omanyte, because i must own a Shiny Fossil. It's literally the only Shiny from a group.... i.e. Legends, Starters, Fossils, Stationary Pokemon that i do not yet own a Shiny from and i intend to eventually have at least one of each Shiny Fossil. :)

I'll probably spend tomorrow just focusing on that hunt, but from Sunday onwards i'll be EV training these 3 new Shinies as well as the other Shiny Pokemon i had yet to get around to EV training.... Zigzagoon & Finneon. Who knows, i may just find myself lucking into some more HE Shinies.... one can hope :D

Good luck everyone with your hunts, especially that pre 6th gen Magnemite/ton hunt AquaRegisteel, some high numbers there and they deserve some Shiny Magnets to appear. :)

Last edited:

Shiny Lord

I have done 500 soft resets for Entei so far today. Still no shiny. I have shiny charm. Hopefully it will shine before I get to 1,000.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Kalosian on Azumarill, Blasting Toise on Buneary, Paraqua on Flabebe, taufik386 on Vulpix, kirkeastment on Cyndaquil, Cyberra on Snover and Karrablast, Aesnath on Articuno, Shiny Lord on Lugia, Ampharos_Spark on Reshiram, kirkeastment on Slowpoke, maldoror on Entei, PrincessPeachy on Zubat and Shinx, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the congrats, Ampharos_Spark :)

Happy belated birthday, wobbanut!

-----------

Drilbur video is up! Possibly a FLoYT, which would be a neat little bonus, but otherwise nothing too special. I evolved Bronzor and Drilbur and now have a lovely Bronzong and Excadrill! Going to work on getting them to Lv. 100 soon, but I also want to save plenty of time to hunt. Got them both to 100 :D

I also have my Swablu video up!

And wow, I don’t even finish posting about my previous shinies when yet ANOTHER shiny appears! The June luck is real! After a mere 2,283 REs on Platinum, on the 83rd RE, I found my second Shiny Machop!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/hQtDPbr.jpg[/IMG200]

Now I have the Machop line completed as shinies! This one is male, Brave, A little quick tempered, and has the IVs: 9 – 22 – 7 – 6 – 9 – 17. And obviously, since I already have a Machamp and 4 Machoke, this one will not be evolved.

My original plan was to repel trick on Route 202 for Starly/Shinx next, but this website has lied to me once more as Bidoof show up at level 4, too…So I suppose I’ll go back to my early days on Platinum at Route 203 – historically a source of both excellent and horrific luck for me – and chance an Abra reclaim (but my targets are still 2 Starly/2 Shinx/1 Bidoof, not Abra), though this time, I’ll be leading with my Bibarel with Taunt and Yawn – which is what should have happened the first time I encountered it had I realized it could learn Taunt.

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Lorde, Shy, Ruru_star, sksilax1234, Cyberra, ChaoticInverse, AquaRegisteel, RedJirachi, and Nakashima)!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Just for the heck of it, I put my MM temporarily on pause and decided to do a little chain fishing at Parfum Palace. On my third chain, I got a gold magikarp after 28 casts. She's quirky and mischievous, with swift swim. I'm gonna keep her because I like the gold color of shiny magikarp. Gonna putter around and see what else I can catch, then run down to Glittering Cave and look for a kangaskhan for a future project.

Heatran is at 18,500 SRs. Shelmet is at 555 eggs. Route 19 is at 400 hordes (it's raining again).

Edit: Shiny seaking caught after 13 casts on the third try (not doing well with maintaining chains tonight). He's bashful and scatters things often, with water veil. Gonna trade him since I already have one. Will catch one more fishing shiny, then head over to Glittering Cave

Edit #2: Second shiny seaking caught after 23 casts. Was hoping for a gyarados... This one is serious and capable of taking hits, with water veil. Gonna trade him off, then head for the cave

Last edited:

PrincessPeachy

Princess in Training
Congrats on the new Shiny pokemon! Especially to kirkeastment for their horde ones. They look great :)

Still getting ready to try for some Shiny Legendaries. Funds a bit low and Pokemon not at the levels I wanted so training happened. While I was in the mirage forest exploiting the Audinos, I figured why not start chaining?

99 chains in, and out she came! One a three star priority one too! She was easy to catch and I gave her an Audinite for when I plan to use her as a nurse for my team.

122497_900.png

Good luck to those still trying! I hope a lot of the SRing goes well and some of them shine for you soon!

TheGiratina999

Love shiny hunting
Hey guys, it's been about 2 years since I last came here. Considering the number of shinies that must've been found since then, I can't go through it all so I guess congratulations to everyone who's found one since then :p

Due to my 10th grade national examinations, I was forced to abandon all my previous shiny hunts, so bye bye shiny Giratina and Duskull :/. I was planning on doing a Diamond/Black BQ so I was just wondering which one would be the best to do? Thanks :D

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
I am back with shiny news.

Yep, a shiny Magnemite appeared! It took a massive 20,234 REs on two games to appear, so it took its sweet time. And yes, as you can see, it is also in the Safari Zone. Did I catch it? That's the burning question. First ball went like one shake, then two, and then...

...It broke out and fled.

Looks like I'm hunting Magnemite for the 6th time.

Good luck.

umbreonfan3636

Congrats to Alexander18 on Surskit, big congrats to Phillies on Ho-oh, Magikarp, Goldeen, Trevenant, Spoint, Foongus, Slugma, Swablu, and Poliwag, Cyberra on Mankey, Snover, Karablast, Seaking and Hariyama, cpchris on Swablu and Machop!, Kalosian on Azumarill, Blasting Toise on Buneary and Hoppip, Paraqua on Flabebe, taufik386 on Vulpix, Xatu, and Camerupt, kirkeastment on Cyndaquil, Slowpoke, Slugma, Grimer, and Numel, RedJirachi on Porygon, wobbanut on Wingul, big conragts to Aesnath on Articuno (I want to do that hunt eventually), Shiny Lord on Lugia, Ampharos_Spark on Reshiram!, maskofsanity1998 on Oddish, and PrincessPeachy on Zubat, Zigzagoon, Auduino and Shinx,

Special good luck to AquaRegisteel on your Magnemite reclaim!, TVDex on Turtwig, ChaoticInverse on Torchic, TheMaster327 on the birds (that has to be a crazy long SR),

I'm back with shiny news, after a little more than 1900 REs so about 4k pokemon seen my target in Eterna, BQ#3 shiny Budew, appeared. I'm so glad that it wasn't a Bidoof as I have no idea how anyone would be able to tell if that thing was shiny. It's got a Hardy nature, with a 29 IV in Special Attach, which is pretty good. What's funny is that I has just told myself I'd stop in 5 more encounters and it shone on my 3rd to last encounter of the day.

My next target will probably be Onix/Bronzor/Gible before the 4th gym. I was debating SRing for Eevee, but I'm undecided.

[img139]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/umby_3636/IMG_1966_zpsuniroapt.jpg[/img139] [img139]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/umby_3636/IMG_1967_zpsyy3fxzzz.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e37/umby_3636/IMG_1968_zpsy3pwdq8r.jpg[/img139]

Razorbadger

Congrats to kirkeastment on Tauros, Cyndaquil and Slowpoke, SkyTheAbsol on Cleffa, wobbanut on Sandslash and Boldore, umbreonfan3636 on Chimchar, Starly and Budew, RedJirachi on Uxie, Cpchris on Drilbur, Swablu and Machop, taufik386 on Sentret, Nidoran and Vulpix, Crabthuluhu on Kyogre, Cutty on Flabebe, Alexander18 on Surskit, Philles on Ho-Oh, Kalosian on Azumarill, Blasting Toise on Buneary, Paraqua on Flabebe, Cyberra on Snover and Karrablast, Aesnath on Articuno, Shiny Lord on Lugia, Ampharos_Spark on Reshiram, maldoror on Entei, PrincessPeachy on Zubat and Shinx and everyone else on your shinies.

Sorry about Magnemite AquaRegisteel, hope your reclaim is a quick one.

Thanks to umbreonfan3636 and Tina for the luck.

I am absolutely delighted right now. After 11,276 SRs in my White 2 a shiny Oshawott appeared and I can finally put these awful minute long SRs behind me.

[IMG139]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/razorbadger/5e85eecb-6241-4a27-bfcc-f3eb2aee8bc2_zps4my3tjuk.jpg[/IMG139]
[IMG139]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/razorbadger/35df8b13-e28a-4fcc-9c7e-1b75b77b6b29_zpserggmzb9.jpg[/IMG139]

It's such a relief to have this guy, I know 11k is only a little over odds and I've had much worse hunts numerically speaking but I put nearly as many hours into this hunt as I did my 42k Rattata so it was starting to become discouraging. Oshawott is my first ever shiny in a 5th gen game and also my first of my White 2 Badge Quest but nature wise he is not that great with Impish lowering his best stat, physical Samurott it is then. Still the nature is only secondary to me and I'm thrilled to have found him regardless.

Next on this game I'll be going to Floccesy Ranch to hunt Mareep. My aforementioned 42k Rattata was intended as a hunt for Mareep in my HG BQ and whilst I will go back to that hunt later in that BQ because I love Mareep's sprite in HGSS I also want to take the opportunity to hunt it in 5th gen although I will be happy with anything shining at Floccesy Ranch to be honest. First though to Shoal Cave in my Alpha Sapphire BQ for either Snorunt or one of the Spheal line.

Good luck hunting everyone :)

Shiny Lord

I've now done 1,000 SR for Entei in Alpha Sapphire.(I have shiny charm) Hoping it shines soon and doesn't go over the shiny charm odds.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
First off, congratulations to umbreonfan3636, Cpchris, kirkeastment, and others on the new Shinies. I did 130 or so soft resets for my Shiny Rayquaza hunt on Ruby yesterday evening, plus I did horde encounters as well in Y for the past few days. I've tried consecutive fishing for a Shiny Octillery as well, but no luck thus far.

Pigeon Mitch

Eraser Rain
I'm sorry about all the shinies, AquaRegisteel. I know the feels. I've been hunting for months now, still no shiny. I'll play for a few hours every day, random spots, just trying my luck at everything. Still nothing. I don't want to chain fish or use the FS to break my drought, but I'm getting to the end of my tether here. Thoughts?

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to umbreonfan3636 on Budew, Razorbadger on Oshawott, and everyone else on your shinies!

Too bad about Magnemite, AquaRegisteel >.<

Thanks for the congrats, umbreonfan3636, Razorbadger, and Lorde :)

-----------

Machop video is up! Got it ready faster than I anticipated :p

I’m moving my HeartGold hunt…Still hunting Caterpie, but I’m hunting it in Ilex Forest now. I originally picked Viridian because of the slightly faster encounters, but this is the 2nd Kricketot Swarm in less than a week…And I can always use more Oddish when I’m hunting at night (I’ll need 3 more if I want to complete the evos ;) )

OMG. AGAIN. This is fantastic. And so insane. Just 267 REs on my Platinum game and on the 167th RE for the day, I find a Shiny Bidoof!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/5uTkOVf.jpg[/IMG200]

I wasn’t even sure if it was shiny at first simply due to how quick it was. I saw it appearing and thought it looked shiny, then I tried to tell myself I was just imagining it (it already happened once or twice this hunt where I thought a Bidoof might have been shiny), but once it settled in, I knew it was shiny, and the sparkles confirmed it. I can’t even believe my luck lately! And another line of shinies completed as I have my Bibarel from my BQ (that I found on this route as Bidoof). Now I just need two Starly and two Shinx…I do really hope that this luck isn’t replicating itself from before and I’m destined for a 40k+ long hunt after 2 more shinies…

I'm so glad that it wasn't a Bidoof as I have no idea how anyone would be able to tell if that thing was shiny.

Funny you should say that :D

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Lorde, Shy, Ruru_star, sksilax1234, Cyberra, ChaoticInverse, AquaRegisteel, RedJirachi, and Nakashima)!