1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Dangertrout, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Alatar VGC

Alatar VGC House Greyjoy

Hi everybody! I'm back. :)

First of, congratulations to LucarioMan101 on Gastly, Wobbanut on Seviper and Thibideau on Litwick!

I am still in the process of MMing Deino. It still hasn't shined, but then I'm only up to like 98 eggs or so.
    I have finally got two 5iv non shinys. So I decided to take a break from MMing before going to sleep and decided to EV train them.

I EV train with hordes and power items. FYI. I was just finishing off one of the Deino's speed EV's. When.... you guessed it
    This lil beauty popped up!

[img139]http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr207/ckpencarrow92/Zingers2_zpsj1c5exwl.png[/img139]

[img139]http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr207/ckpencarrow92/Zingers1_zpsbqgh3flm.png?t=1444866965[/img139]

She has a Jolly Nature and she likes to relax! That gave me a lil hope. So went off to the battle resort to check her IV's and......
    She's got above average potential, with a fantastic HP stat..... but her attack is terrible! LOL.... ugh NVM.
    Can't complain too much tho! 3rd shiny this week!
    Anyway, hopefully Deino shines soon!

2. Cyberra

Cyberra pain in the ***

I think Y is sucking up to me for the long hunt that was grumpig. After only 8 REs in the steel safari...

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/554_zpscldyqxml.jpg[/img139]

...shiny excadrill. He's docile and takes plenty of siestas, with Sand Force. He's named after the male personification of the earth from Norse mythology. The actual spelling is Fjörgynn, but the "o" with two dots over it is not an option in the game keyboard, so my German friend suggested the alternate spelling.

Next safari hunt will be ground, after phanpy.

Slowpoke is being stubborn at 1,130 eggs. Unown ?/! is at 6,200 REs

3. Cpchris

Cpchris Shiny Hunter

Congrats to Laurelai on Deino, General_Ridley on Regirock, TheMaster327 on Turtwig, Cyberra on Exeggcute, Crimson Penguin on Mareep, serpent222 on Oshawott, Regi_Rocks on Bulbasaur and Bagon, Azulart on Treecko, SmartD on Marill, Cyberra on Regigigas, FairyWitch on Bulbasaur, Regi_Rocks on Rotom, Thibideau on Litwick and Aron, Azulart on Tynamo, LucarioMan101 on Riolu and Gastly, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the congrats, Crimson Penguin and TheShinyLunatone :)

-----------

Stats of my shiny Bidoof from the weekend: Female, Quirky, Strong willed, Simple ability, and IVs: 20 – 25 – 6 – 22 – 25 – 14. And the video is right here.

Also, I returned to Route 203 back in mid-late June, which means I’ve been there nearly 4 months. I’ve been hunting at Whirl Islands since the very end of June, so about 3.5 months. And I’ve been hunting in Clay Tunnel since the end of July, which is about 2.5 months. Basically, as long as my hunts have been long, and now that I’ve finally found something (albeit something worthless) on Platinum, I think I’ll take a break from Route 203. I at least found a second Bidoof (which I did want that second one) and a second Shinx, and I certainly do plan on returning sometime soon for another Shinx and Starly (and hopefully an Abra >_>).

But for now I’m moving to Eterna Forest. I’d talked earlier in the month about hunting Gastly this month, but my plan for Gastly was to repel trick in Eterna Forest first (and after finding 2 Buneary, hunt elsewhere for Gastly if I still need to). But I also need a Budew (I’m sure I’ll find a bunch of Roselia once I go for Kirlia, so I just need one Budew), which the best place to find that is in Eterna Forest which also yields a 24% chance for Buneary…So to avoid the risk of more useless duplicates (if I were to find 2 Buneary while hunting Gastly and then hunt Budew and risk useless dupes of Buneary), I’m going to hunt Budew first.

Pretty much anything from here is good. 10% Bidoof = No thank you, and 10% Hoohoot I’d rather find on HeartGold. Otherwise, everything here is good. A little iffy on the Wurmple line only because of how difficult it can be to complete the line (Wurmple’s 10% most places, and the only other option is SRing Honey Trees…), not to mention being lucky enough to end up with 1 each of Silcoon/Cascoon/Beautifly/Dustox :x

Didn’t have any time on Sunday to hunt (Work at 9 am, supposed to be done around 8 or 9, but my coworker was throwing up and had to go home, so I had to cover his shift after I finished mine and didn’t leave until 11…On 4.5 hours of sleep and with a cold -_-). Didn’t have time on Monday (Pick up car from repairs, work, kickball, drinks/hanging out). And ran out of time on Tuesday between waking up a little later, getting stuff updated from shiny Bidoof, and hanging out with a friend. But breaks are nice too. I did get to do 600 REs on Wednesday and 400 REs today though.

Black 2 is at 18,800 REs, Platinum is at 1,000 REs, and HeartGold is at 11,100 REs. I also did 100 SRs both days for Cyndaquil, so that's at 600 SRs.

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, ChaoticInverse, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, Razorbadger, and Nakashima)!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  4. PrismaticPrincessAnna

PrismaticPrincessAnna I'll do my Lilliest

So like I was RE'ing In DreamYard. Both White and W2 in my DSi and n3DS.
    then this fella appeared:

[IMG139]http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee439/PPLyra/sh_zpsnwdjjsyg.jpg[/IMG139]

I was uber HAPPY!! I've not got a shiny Watchog before :'3 This is my first RE shiny in White :D
    I knew Meowth's Night slash was weak so I was it on the left Wachog to get rid of it. Then my Altaria Ice beam to finish it off.
    But my happiness was wiped off when Meowth got a crit hit and killed it and omg my Altaria too >O<

And this happened....

[IMG139]http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee439/PPLyra/sf_zps02tvovbw.jpg[/IMG139]

MY FIRST EVER SHINY FAIL OMG!!!
    I reset my game in frustration >_<

Some day I'll reclaim you, shiny Wachog :O

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  5. serpent222

serpent222 Well-Known Member

Congrats on all the recent shinies.

Had another quick MM. Leaving me very encouraged. While waiting for an appointment, I boxed 80 eggs, after hatching 35. On the 76th boxed egg, I got my shiny. So, a total of 111 eggs. He has 5IVs, missing attack, and I'm one step closer to having all of the starters.

[img139]http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m609/serpent222/pumpkin/1016150856a_zpsg19h7do0.jpg[/img139]
    [img139]http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m609/serpent222/pumpkin/1016150857a_zpsugppzzza.jpg[/img139]

And as a poison type, I believe that also means Community Hunt complete!

6. EurekaNach

EurekaNach LFO pilot

Hey guys so i have a question about SR for shiny hunting.

I have Green Leaf, Diamond, Platinum, Soul Silver, Black 2, and Omega ruby and i want to know which game would objectively give the best soft resetting results and for which pokemon, this might seem kinda dumb at first knowing that 6 gen has a higher shiny chance, but these games also have a really long boot time compared to lets say GL, so idk, what do you guys think?

The only one i'm sure about is starter hunting in HG/SS because the selection sprites show if they're shiny or not

7. SkyMew

SkyMew Well-Known Member

I hatched a new Shiny, just a while ago in my Pokémon Y.

Unfortunately its stats are not outstanding, this time.

It's a male Amaura with Modest nature, with relatively superior potential, good IV's in Attack, Defense, Sp. Attack and Speed.

The parents both had outstanding potential. Unfortunately, the offspring didn't have the best stats, and it has the ability Snow Warning.

It's still a neat Shiny.

8. Draknir

Draknir Fear the Deer

Well, Shiny hunting is never guaranteed, so it's hard to say which has the best results. All but one have advantages. With Omega Ruby, you have the most Pokemon you can SR for of any game I believe (Four sets of starters, 23 Legendaries (Minus Groudon, Rayquaza, and Deoxys), Spiritomb, Castform), and plus the Shiny Charm if you're willing to complete the Pokedex, so arguable it's the easiest of them all and with the most variety. Soul Silver, as well as Leaf Green, give you access to the Legendary Birds and Mewtwo, which aren't obtainable as Shinies in Gen VI. Soul Silver specifically gives you access to Lugia, which isn't in Omega Ruby Both Diamond and Platinum give you access to Dialga, which isn't obtainable in Omega Ruby and is required to get Giratina in that game. Black 2 doesn't offer any advantage, as all of the Legendaries and the starters are obtainable in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire with better odds.

Well, just going to do a blanket congrats, but I especially want to say congrats to Cyberra on Regigigas! That's a ridiculous number of SR's.

Since I last posted, I decided to do a DexNav hunt on a Mirage Mountain. The reason I wanted to do it on this specific Mirage Mountain was that it's the one with Elekid, which I've been wanting to hunt for a while now. After 491 encounters, a Shiny female Elekid appeared! I decided to continue on, and at 687 encounters total (196 encounters later) a second Shiny female Elekid appeared! After that, at 852 encounters total (165 encounters later), another Shiny Elekid showed up! I kept the first as an Elekid, evolved the second once, and the third twice. That began on Friday and ended on Monday. Last night, I decided to do some grinding to get my Omega Ruby team to Lv.100, which I've been lazy about doing). Well, I got a third Shiny Audino. From the same Mirage Forest. My reaction was "Really?!" Honestly though, I expected to get another one. Today, I decided to randomly do some horde hunting, specifically to get a Shiny Zigzagoon because I felt like it. After 22 hordes, I got a Shiny Zigzagoon, right in the middle. Currently doing more hordes on Route 103.

(Wow that's a big wall of text!)

9. tui

tui moon upon a stick

Congrats to: Shiny Lord on Pumpkaboo, Jersey Jimmy on Pidgey, PrismaticPrincessAnna on Eevee (sorry about your Watchog, though :c), ShiningKnightXY on Cobalion, Thibideau on Aron, Venipede and Litwick, Azulart on Tynamo, Magikarp and Treecko, spaulcam on Furfrou, Cyberra on Excadrill, Spiritomb, Exeggcute, Grumpig and especially Regigigas, MultiDarkShadow777 on Breloom, Magikarp and Gulpin, CpChris on Bidoof (maybe... not, I know the pain of getting more of a shiny than there is evos, but not one as bad as Bidoof), Laurelai on Deino, General Ridley on the Regirock reclaim, TheMaster327 on Turtwig, Phillies on Spiritomb and Inkay, Crimson Penguin on Mareep, TheShinyLunatone on Oddish, serpent222 on Oshawott and Bulbasaur, Regi_Rocks on Zigzagoon, Bagon and Rotom, SmartD on Marill, FairyWitch on Bulbasaur, wobbanut on Seviper, LucarioMan101 on Riolu and Gasty, Skymew on Amaura, Draknir on Elekid x3, Audino and Zigzagoon, and to anybody I missed!

Thanks for the welcome backs, CpChris and TheShinyLunatone!

One thing I want to add to Draknir's post is that what game you hunt in also depends on as you mentioned, what odds/length of hunt you prefer. Gen 6's doubled odds are good for a lot of people but personally and other than not actually owning a 3ds, I feel I need the lower odds to keep me raring to hunt, because I like watching numbers build and build and reaping my reward. That's not to say for the lower odds that you might feel different, it's all subject to the hunter's personal preferences. I also heavily prefer the 2d sprites to the 3d ones, I find them much brighter, sharper and appealing to the eye so there is an aesthetic element to it. I say start a hunt in a gen 6 game and another in a game of lower odds and alternate between them in maybe 100SR bouts and see which one you prefer, it's probably the best way to test the field, if you like.

I'm now at 2500 REs in Valley Windworks, and I'm fiddling with the clock so I can have it set to the right date yet keep the Electrike hoard I'm hunting in. I managed to get 1.1k REs done on Sunday, yet over the last 5 days have only managed 500, which shows how time-strapped I am now ):

Good luck everybody!

10. Crimson Penguin

Crimson Penguin Marchin' on

Congrats to TheShinyLunatone on Oddish, serpent222 on Oshawott and Bulbasaur, Cyberra on Duosion, Regigigas, Grumpig, and Excadrill, Regi_Rocks on Bulbasaur, Bagon, Rotom, and Zigzagoon, Azulart on Treecko and Tynamo, SmartD on Marill, FairyWitch on Bulbasaur, Thibideau on Litwick and Aron, wobbanut on Seviper, LucarioMan101 on Riolu and Gastly, SkyMew on Amaura, Draknir on Elekid x3, Audino, and Zigzagoon, and anyone else I may have missed on your shinies! Sorry about that Watchog though, PrismaticPrincessAnna - good luck on the reclaim!

Thanks to FairyWitch, Thibideau, Cpchris, and Keane for the congrats!

Oh my freaking god guys. I can't believe what happened last night. So I beat the 6th gym in Y, evolved my whole BQ team, trained them up a little bit, and then headed to Ambrette Town to SR for Amaura. I did 25 SRs on Wednesday before having to stop for the night. Then last night, the most incredible thing happened - after 26 SRs for the evening and a mere 51 SRs total, I got a shiny Amaura!

I never thought I would ever have a hunt this quick, but now Totodile has officially been dethroned as my shortest non-MM hunt ever. But seriously... 51 SRs? Are you kidding me? I was completely flabbergasted when I saw the red star and then the little white dino... I felt like the luckiest person. Plus, it's my third shiny in a week (and only 4 days since my last Y BQ shiny)! My Amaura is a male named Borealis, with an Adamant nature (bleh) and Refrigerate. I'm super happy to have him on my team!

So, I'm only one shiny away from completing my second BQ! My 8th and final hunt will be in the Winding Woods, where I'm hoping to end up with a Trevenant or Zoroark. I haven't really touched my other hunts this week, so I'll focus on those over the weekend.

Good luck to all of you on your hunts!

11. Cyberra

Cyberra pain in the ***

...Well then.

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/558_zpsaajxnk7t.jpg[/img139]

After only 187 REs, the safari decides to oblige me and gives me my exact target. Shiny phanpy. She's serious and likes to thrash about, with PickUp. Her name is the result of my wise-assery kicking in again.

With the capture of phanpy, the one single pokemon that I need to complete the national dex is slowking. All further safari hunting will be suspended until after that dratted shiny slowpoke finally hatches. I will be staying in this ground safari and trying for camerupt once I obtain the shiny charm.

Slowpoke is being annoying at 1,460 eggs. Unown ?/! is at 6,900 REs.

12. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria ☆~Shiny hunter▢~

I tried hunting in hordes for a Shiny Swablu in Route 21 in Y (I have Shiny Charm already), resuming from a brief hiatus. So far, no luck, after about 50 REs in terms of horde encounters. Congrats on the recent shinies and good luck to all current and future hunts.

13. Tsukuyomi56

Tsukuyomi56 Gesshin Powered

Got my first post-Shiny Charm shiny in Pokemon Y when a shiny Sentret suddenly popped up while I was infecting my Roselia eggs with Pokerus on Route 6, a Quick Ball easily secured it. Now to hope that one of my Roselia comes out shiny.

Congrats to any one who has got a shiny and good luck to those still hunting!

14. Laurelai

Laurelai Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new shinies folks, and serpent222 Bulbasaur is one of my favorites!! Love the shiny little bulb-head! :D

My latest was not a pokemon on my target list at all until 3 days ago. I was merrily hatching eggs for my next CH target, and someone initiated a trade. "Ok, I'll trade- I generally have a few 5 IV mons sitting around after breeding- sure". Well, he didn't want to trade, he just wanted to troll me with his level 100 Japanese masterball shiny Kyurem. Shiny troll eh? Oooh! I can play that game too! Let me show you my 3 boxes of shinies!! :D After I wore him out and he canceled, I thought- "huh. I like shiny Kyurem. NEXT TARGET!!" And 550 SRs later, he popped :D Kinda scared me though, as he didn't want to stay in a ball. Struggle is a terrifying prospect when you have a 1 HP false swiped target. Anyway, he decided an ultraball was acceptable after all and he's now mine :) The name Vasavana is squished together Latin "Vasa Vana" which means "Empty Vessel". I always felt badly for Kyurem. Now he shall get lots of pokepuffs! :D

*edit* Oooh! And its my first shiny on my new 3ds! And Modest sync worked for Kyurem white!

[img139]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/Laure1ai/IMG_20151016_205216.jpg_zpsylkpz2ev.png[/img139]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  15. TheShinyLunatone

TheShinyLunatone VAMPIRE LORDS!

congrats on all these amazing shinies! i thought chain fishing was supposed to be easy :( its not. at thks rate im thinking i'd be better off MM-ing fir my next shiny7

on that note, anyone have a 6iv jp ditto for sale -_-?

16. TheMaster327

TheMaster327 Well-Known Member

So, I'm at 450 Litwick hatched now, and I've gathered 8 boxes to hatch tomorrow. Got a feeling I'll get it in one of those boxes, so I'll give you the options (closed) for my next hunt. You may notice some votes placed already, but that's because I put the poll in a stream chat. Vote for your favourite :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  17. Alexander18

Alexander18 Banned

Congratulations to everyone on new shiny pokemon. I had been soft-resitting to get shiny fossil pokemon and end up with two. I got a shiny Omanyte and a shiny Aerodactyl. Evolved Omanyte and register shiny mega evolution form of Aerodactyl in pokedex.

18. PrismaticPrincessAnna

PrismaticPrincessAnna I'll do my Lilliest

Since my Watchog failure, Ive RE for it. No appearance :'c

I did Chain for another shiny Eevee in OR for Glaceon. One more and I will have all Eeveelution shinies :D

So like while I watched Pixels and Book of life, I was REing in Safar for shinies. And wow... I found this fella :D

[IMG139]http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee439/PPLyra/pa_zpsxktqfemb.jpg[/IMG139]

YAYNESS :D 2 more shinies for my collecton <3

19. tui

tui moon upon a stick

Congrats to: Crimson Penguin on Amaura, Cyberra on Phanpy, Tsukuyomi56 on Sentret, Laurelai on Kyurem, Alexander18 on Aerodactyl and Omanyte, PrismaticPrincessAnna on Eevee and Bisharp, and to anybody else I missed!

I voted Cherubi, TheMaster327, as it's one of my absolute favourite shinies, and maybe seeing you MM it will inspire me to start SRing honey trees for it again!

No news on the Valley Windworks bar that I lost the Electrike swarm and one point and had to hunt it down again, and that sometimes I add my Diamond game on the side and dual RE there. I'm at 3,500 REs now, hoping for 4.5-5k by the end of the day as it's the weekend and I can get a lot more hunting done to make up for a slow week.

My main purpose of this post is, I wanted to know if anybody would be interested in a Shiny Circuit? I've been reading through old threads and clubs and where one was being ran, and it looked like a lot of fun, of course though nowadays the rules will have to be adapted to make sure that everyone has a fair chance, since there's all the methods of hunting that better the odds. How it works if that there are multiple 'set hunt' legs - and by set hunt I mean a set criteria you have to complete to complete that leg (for instance, if there was a leg for Honey Tree SRing/Headbutting, you'd have to find a shiny through one of those ways) obviously for each leg there will be something for each game so people can partcipate in whichever game they like. The only issue is the odds difference between gen 6 games and pre-gen 6 games, so I'll have to think of something to level out the playing field, and of course stuff like chaining/chain fishing/horde hunting/friend safari/anything else that lowers the odds (except, I'd like to incorporate MM, so possibly have it as an option for one of the legs) would be banned as that would make it too unfair,and whoever finishes all the legs first would 'win'.

It's just something I thought would be a bit of fun, if people have the time/energy to join in, so this is pretty much gauging interest in people. I'd also like to know what shiny hunting 'options' everyone has - as in, what games to people have that they can shiny hunt on/if they can MM, as I don't want to go making legs that someone who wants to join the circuit can't participate in.

Ideas for legs would be brilliant too!

Anyway, good luck everybody on your hunts!

20. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria ☆~Shiny hunter▢~

I continued my hunt for a shiny Swablu in a horde in Y. Still, no luck so far. Congrats on the recent Shinies and good luck to all current and future hunts.