1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Dangertrout, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Crimson Penguin

Crimson Penguin Marchin' on

Congrats to TheShinyLunatone on Oddish, serpent222 on Oshawott and Bulbasaur, Cyberra on Duosion, Regigigas, Grumpig, and Excadrill, Regi_Rocks on Bulbasaur, Bagon, Rotom, and Zigzagoon, Azulart on Treecko and Tynamo, SmartD on Marill, FairyWitch on Bulbasaur, Thibideau on Litwick and Aron, wobbanut on Seviper, LucarioMan101 on Riolu and Gastly, SkyMew on Amaura, Draknir on Elekid x3, Audino, and Zigzagoon, and anyone else I may have missed on your shinies! Sorry about that Watchog though, PrismaticPrincessAnna - good luck on the reclaim!

Thanks to FairyWitch, Thibideau, Cpchris, and Keane for the congrats!

Oh my freaking god guys. I can't believe what happened last night. So I beat the 6th gym in Y, evolved my whole BQ team, trained them up a little bit, and then headed to Ambrette Town to SR for Amaura. I did 25 SRs on Wednesday before having to stop for the night. Then last night, the most incredible thing happened - after 26 SRs for the evening and a mere 51 SRs total, I got a shiny Amaura!

I never thought I would ever have a hunt this quick, but now Totodile has officially been dethroned as my shortest non-MM hunt ever. But seriously... 51 SRs? Are you kidding me? I was completely flabbergasted when I saw the red star and then the little white dino... I felt like the luckiest person. Plus, it's my third shiny in a week (and only 4 days since my last Y BQ shiny)! My Amaura is a male named Borealis, with an Adamant nature (bleh) and Refrigerate. I'm super happy to have him on my team!

So, I'm only one shiny away from completing my second BQ! My 8th and final hunt will be in the Winding Woods, where I'm hoping to end up with a Trevenant or Zoroark. I haven't really touched my other hunts this week, so I'll focus on those over the weekend.

Good luck to all of you on your hunts!

2. Cyberra

Cyberra pain in the ***

...Well then.

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/558_zpsaajxnk7t.jpg[/img139]

After only 187 REs, the safari decides to oblige me and gives me my exact target. Shiny phanpy. She's serious and likes to thrash about, with PickUp. Her name is the result of my wise-assery kicking in again.

With the capture of phanpy, the one single pokemon that I need to complete the national dex is slowking. All further safari hunting will be suspended until after that dratted shiny slowpoke finally hatches. I will be staying in this ground safari and trying for camerupt once I obtain the shiny charm.

Slowpoke is being annoying at 1,460 eggs. Unown ?/! is at 6,900 REs.

3. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria ☆~Shiny hunter▢~ and Animal Crossing

I tried hunting in hordes for a Shiny Swablu in Route 21 in Y (I have Shiny Charm already), resuming from a brief hiatus. So far, no luck, after about 50 REs in terms of horde encounters. Congrats on the recent shinies and good luck to all current and future hunts.

4. Tsukuyomi56

Tsukuyomi56 Gesshin Powered

Got my first post-Shiny Charm shiny in Pokemon Y when a shiny Sentret suddenly popped up while I was infecting my Roselia eggs with Pokerus on Route 6, a Quick Ball easily secured it. Now to hope that one of my Roselia comes out shiny.

Congrats to any one who has got a shiny and good luck to those still hunting!

5. Laurelai

Laurelai Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new shinies folks, and serpent222 Bulbasaur is one of my favorites!! Love the shiny little bulb-head! :D

My latest was not a pokemon on my target list at all until 3 days ago. I was merrily hatching eggs for my next CH target, and someone initiated a trade. "Ok, I'll trade- I generally have a few 5 IV mons sitting around after breeding- sure". Well, he didn't want to trade, he just wanted to troll me with his level 100 Japanese masterball shiny Kyurem. Shiny troll eh? Oooh! I can play that game too! Let me show you my 3 boxes of shinies!! :D After I wore him out and he canceled, I thought- "huh. I like shiny Kyurem. NEXT TARGET!!" And 550 SRs later, he popped :D Kinda scared me though, as he didn't want to stay in a ball. Struggle is a terrifying prospect when you have a 1 HP false swiped target. Anyway, he decided an ultraball was acceptable after all and he's now mine :) The name Vasavana is squished together Latin "Vasa Vana" which means "Empty Vessel". I always felt badly for Kyurem. Now he shall get lots of pokepuffs! :D

*edit* Oooh! And its my first shiny on my new 3ds! And Modest sync worked for Kyurem white!

[img139]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/Laure1ai/IMG_20151016_205216.jpg_zpsylkpz2ev.png[/img139]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  6. TheShinyLunatone

TheShinyLunatone VAMPIRE LORDS!

congrats on all these amazing shinies! i thought chain fishing was supposed to be easy :( its not. at thks rate im thinking i'd be better off MM-ing fir my next shiny7

on that note, anyone have a 6iv jp ditto for sale -_-?

7. TheMaster327

TheMaster327 Well-Known Member

So, I'm at 450 Litwick hatched now, and I've gathered 8 boxes to hatch tomorrow. Got a feeling I'll get it in one of those boxes, so I'll give you the options (closed) for my next hunt. You may notice some votes placed already, but that's because I put the poll in a stream chat. Vote for your favourite :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  8. Alexander18

Alexander18 Banned

Congratulations to everyone on new shiny pokemon. I had been soft-resitting to get shiny fossil pokemon and end up with two. I got a shiny Omanyte and a shiny Aerodactyl. Evolved Omanyte and register shiny mega evolution form of Aerodactyl in pokedex.

9. PrismaticPrincessAnna

PrismaticPrincessAnna I'll do my Lilliest

Since my Watchog failure, Ive RE for it. No appearance :'c

I did Chain for another shiny Eevee in OR for Glaceon. One more and I will have all Eeveelution shinies :D

So like while I watched Pixels and Book of life, I was REing in Safar for shinies. And wow... I found this fella :D

[IMG139]http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee439/PPLyra/pa_zpsxktqfemb.jpg[/IMG139]

YAYNESS :D 2 more shinies for my collecton <3

10. tui

tui moon upon a stick

Congrats to: Crimson Penguin on Amaura, Cyberra on Phanpy, Tsukuyomi56 on Sentret, Laurelai on Kyurem, Alexander18 on Aerodactyl and Omanyte, PrismaticPrincessAnna on Eevee and Bisharp, and to anybody else I missed!

I voted Cherubi, TheMaster327, as it's one of my absolute favourite shinies, and maybe seeing you MM it will inspire me to start SRing honey trees for it again!

No news on the Valley Windworks bar that I lost the Electrike swarm and one point and had to hunt it down again, and that sometimes I add my Diamond game on the side and dual RE there. I'm at 3,500 REs now, hoping for 4.5-5k by the end of the day as it's the weekend and I can get a lot more hunting done to make up for a slow week.

My main purpose of this post is, I wanted to know if anybody would be interested in a Shiny Circuit? I've been reading through old threads and clubs and where one was being ran, and it looked like a lot of fun, of course though nowadays the rules will have to be adapted to make sure that everyone has a fair chance, since there's all the methods of hunting that better the odds. How it works if that there are multiple 'set hunt' legs - and by set hunt I mean a set criteria you have to complete to complete that leg (for instance, if there was a leg for Honey Tree SRing/Headbutting, you'd have to find a shiny through one of those ways) obviously for each leg there will be something for each game so people can partcipate in whichever game they like. The only issue is the odds difference between gen 6 games and pre-gen 6 games, so I'll have to think of something to level out the playing field, and of course stuff like chaining/chain fishing/horde hunting/friend safari/anything else that lowers the odds (except, I'd like to incorporate MM, so possibly have it as an option for one of the legs) would be banned as that would make it too unfair,and whoever finishes all the legs first would 'win'.

It's just something I thought would be a bit of fun, if people have the time/energy to join in, so this is pretty much gauging interest in people. I'd also like to know what shiny hunting 'options' everyone has - as in, what games to people have that they can shiny hunt on/if they can MM, as I don't want to go making legs that someone who wants to join the circuit can't participate in.

Ideas for legs would be brilliant too!

Anyway, good luck everybody on your hunts!

11. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria ☆~Shiny hunter▢~ and Animal Crossing

I continued my hunt for a shiny Swablu in a horde in Y. Still, no luck so far. Congrats on the recent Shinies and good luck to all current and future hunts.

12. Louise955

Louise955 Member

Congrats to everyone on their shinies. Sorry I haven't posted in a while.

So on Tuesday I decided to masuda method for a shiny Zorua dedicated to my boyfriend and after only 45 eggs I got it xD
    Then I decided to get it to level 100 so I beat the elite four a few times and it got to like level 50. After that I just decided to go to victory road and kill hordes for exp there.
    On Thursday, I did some horde encounters and I ended up finding a shiny Geodude (a reclaim!) I had to switch out to Gothorita which had telekinesis and luckily it didn't die in that time.
    Then on Friday I was doing more hordes. At this point Zorua was level 90 so I didn't have much training to do. I ended up getting ANOTHER shiny Geodude xD Luckily this one didn't die either. Then later on (about an hour later) I did some more hordes and then I found A THIRD shiny Geodude. I was really happy since I could get the full Geodude line shiny because that one didn't die either. So I put that Geodude away and I did another horde encounter and ended up getting a shiny Floatzel STRAIGHT AFTER the 3rd Geodude. First time I ever got back to back shinies lol. THE LUCK HAS BEEN REAL. My game is probably being lucky after that Treecko hunt and my current Ralts hunt.

Good luck to everyone on their hunts

13. AquaRegisteel

AquaRegisteel Face Oblivion

The CH was created to cover the idea of a Shiny Circuit. In fact, I believe I've brought this up before in the thread, and it was pretty much debated until it became clear there's no real point of it when the CH exists. And there was the issue of an SC making this thread become like a Shiny Club...seeing as you've read older threads, you'll know that Shiny Clubs got themselves a 'reputation' for spam and such.

If you were to organize it away from the thread and not have it taking over the thread, then it'd be doable. That way, the only thing that the thread is involved in is who gets interested in doing it :p

14. Phillies

Phillies Well-Known Member

Congratulations to everyone who got new shinies this weed.

I caught the following shines this week. Manectric, Palpitoad, Sawsbuck, Woobat, Aipom, Spritzee, Nuzleaf, Trapinch & Magmar.

Good luck to everyone on there current and future luck.

15. TheMaster327

TheMaster327 Well-Known Member

742 eggs, and finally a blue flame!

[img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRo0tx0WoAA4fM_.jpg[/img139]

Shiny Litwick :) It's male, Modest from Everstone, with IVs: xx/31/31/31/31/31. Not bad for a Scarfer!

Oh, and COMMUNITY HUNT COMPLETE!!!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  16. MDS777

MDS777 The name's Riley

Congrats to everyone on their recent shinies. Last night (or shall I say early this morning), I hatched my beautiful shiny Torchic at exactly 400 eggs. It's actually my first MM in OR that's actually under the odds, as all of my others in OR have been over the odds. It's Adamant and his IVs are xx/31/31/xx/31/31.

Not sure what I want to hunt for next but I imagine it'll probably be Halloween/spooky related.

17. Cpchris

Cpchris Shiny Hunter

Congrats to serpent222 on Bulbasaur, SkyMew on Amaura, Crimson Penguin on Amaura, Tsukuyomi56 on Sentret, Laurelai on Kyurem, Alexander18 on Omanyte and Aerodactyl, Louise955 on Zorua, Phillies, TheMaster327 on Litwick, MultiDarkShadow777 on Torchic, and everyone else on your shinies!

Sorry about your Watchog, PrismaticPrincessAnna :(

Thank you for the congrats, Keane :)

-----------

I’ve seen quite a lot of people lately (relatively speaking) losing shinies to surprise crits, and it sucks to see >.< Guys, DON’T RISK IT. There is NO point in risking crits, especially when there are moves available to prevent this very situation! False Swipe, Super Fang…Hell, even moves like Dragon Rage (does only 40 damage) and Night Shade (damage = user’s level). Is it really worth losing shinies just to use dangerous moves =\?

The last time I used non-set-damage moves when I was hunting Dialga and Palkia, and I wanted to use my newly-acquired shiny Scizor to do it. False Swipe would have taken many tries to lower it, so I used moves like Iron Head/X-Scissor to do a bit more damage at first. But the ONLY reason I used those moves was because I used a damage calculator to find out how much damage a crit would do from one of these moves and GUARANTEE a crit wouldn’t kill them, assuming the lowest possible HP and defense for my targets, and then using False Swipe once their health got to a point where I could no longer GUARANTEE that a crit wouldn’t kill it.

Shinies are hard to come by! Plenty of pokemon can learn False Swipe/Super Fang, so there’s really no point in not bringing a pokemon who can use them. If you REALLY want to use your other moves, then do what I did and use a damage calculator (under the assumption that your target has the lowest possible HP and def/sp. Def) and make sure a crit won’t kill your target – just google for them and you should be able to find one.

And in the case of double battles like the most recent unfortunate fail, if the second pokemon doesn’t have a set-damage move to use, either use a non-damaging move (it’s the perfect time to inflict a status on the shiny), or even waste that turn giving it an item to use (such as a berry). Again, it’s not worth it to assume a fatal crit won’t happen unless you KNOW it won’t.

And as always, know ahead of time if your target has self-damaging moves. You don’t want to False Swipe something to 1 HP and then be surprised when it uses Take Down! For all the time we spend hunting shinies, it seems pointless to not take a mere 30 seconds just to look up something like that! Accidents happen, of course, but may as well try to minimize them!

Been able to hunt every day since my last post, but so far all attempts have yielded nothing :x Black 2 has now hit 20,100 REs, Platinum is at 2,300 REs, and HeartGold is at 12,400 REs. I suppose on the bright side, unlike my most recent Platinum find, Black 2 is highly unlikely to give a useless duplicate (the only possible one being a shaking spot Excadrill) as its reward, so…Hopefully however long this hunt goes it’ll at least be more fruitful than a 3rd Bidoof.

Good luck, everyone (especially markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, ChaoticInverse, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, Razorbadger, and Nakashima)!

18. Thibideau

Thibideau Beautiful Midnight

Congrats to Azulart on Tynamo, Wobbanut on Seviper, Lucarioman101 on Lucario and Gastly,Regi_Rocks on Zigagoon, Cyberra on Excadrill and Phanpy, serpent222 on Bulbasaur, SkyMew on Amaura, Draknir on all 3 Elekid's, Zigzagoon, and Audino Crimson Penguin on Amaura, Tsukuyomi56 on Sentret, Laurelai on Kyurem, Alexander18 on Omantye and Aerodactyl, PrismaticPrincessAnna on Pawniard (and sorry about Watchog =/ ) Louise955 on Zorua, the Geodude trip and Floatzel, Phillies on your massive haul, TheMaster327 on Litwick, MultiDarkShadow777 on Torchic, and to anyone else I may have missed!

Well I don't have much to report so far this week except for hatching this little guy tonight. Again sorry if the picture doesn't work or is poor quality.

[IMG139]http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv30/trepie4/c6e81d35-a64b-443a-a5ea-3050195e5d82_zpsoopyhsw0.jpg[/IMG139]

She hatched tonight while I was watching The Walking Dead actually :p The show cut to commercial and there she was 731 eggs in. My next MM hunt is Petilil so I've started working on getting it some egg moves. Hopefully my luck holds and it shines before I get to 1,000 eggs.

Good luck to everyone on their hunts!

19. Cyberra

Cyberra pain in the ***

Ugh, finally.

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/560_zpsch92tp6z.jpg[/img139]

After 2,046 eggs, slowpoke finally concedes defeat. I didn't think I'd be able to spot the shiny since the color difference is only minor, but after 2,045 pink slowpokes the pale purple one stood out like a sore thumb. She's bold and mischievous and she got her HA, Regenerator. I already got someone to help me evolve her. I have now completed the National Pokedex, which means...

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/562_zpsuzoabgel.jpg[/img139]

Normal hunts will be resuming now. I will be returning to the ground safari to hunt camerupt, and my next MM will be rotom. Will be aiming for a timid nature.

Unown ?/! are at 7,700 REs

20. serpent222

serpent222 Well-Known Member

Congrats on all the recent shinies. And a big congrats to Cyberra on the shiny charm. I had a good stroke of luck last night. I didn't get one, but THREE shinies.

Starting with my least impressive, and my second shiny of the night. I was horde hunting for a shiny ralts or seedot. I ended up with Zigzagoon. I already have one, so I figure I'll evolved this one. Better than nothing. I got it in about 20 hordes.
    [img139]http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m609/serpent222/Drafta/1018151809b_zpsnynbz18j.jpg[/img139]

My third of the night and second best, a chain fishing shiny I've wanted for a while, Corphish. I got it in less than 40 total casts. Since I was rusty, it was not a continual chain, either. Got him as the 6th bite in a chain. Hard to tell it's shiny by the colors of the photos.
    [img139]http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m609/serpent222/Drafta/1018151839a_zpsdisepsml.jpg[/img139]
    [img139]http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m609/serpent222/Drafta/1018151839c_zpssjbjcfgi.jpg[/img139]

And my crowning achievement of the night! I decided on a whim to do some soft resets for a legendary. I have a good 6 or 7 still floating around in ORAS, so I figured I'd do 100 resets in front of each and see which may shine first. Imagine my surprise when I got this on the 37th reset of the first legendary I tried for.
    [img139]http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m609/serpent222/Drafta/1018151746b_zpsqvvtrnxb.jpg[/img139]
    [img139]http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m609/serpent222/Drafta/1018151752_zpstvlxxa5z.jpg[/img139]
    [img139]http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m609/serpent222/Drafta/1018151752b_zpscab6zpci.jpg[/img139]

My goal was to try and get a shiny from all the different hunting methods in one night. So I was gonna dexnav and then MM, hoping for more success. But when 8pm rolled around, I tried soft resetting for an hour for Uxie. I thought that when 9pm hit, I couldn't encounter it anymore. I didn't know that it goes based only on when you enter the cave and that you can keep trying for it. So my other hunts are on hold until I get the Uxie. I reset for about 4 hours, probably hitting around 300 resets without a shiny so far.

Good luck on all the current hunts. I hope my luck is contagious.