• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Laurelai

I'm looking at everyone's shiny collection and the only legitimate shiny I have is a Zweilous from my Black 2 game ;_;

Also if you have the time to answer a survey for my Pokemon research paper then I'd highly appreciate it ;_;
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MHJBNZB

If you rely on just meeting a shiny by chance, then you may very well have a long wait. I saw my first random shiny in the safari zone in Leaf Green (and since it was in the Safari Zone, I of course lost it *weep*), and didn't see my next random until Black! One day I just decided that I wanted a shiny, so I MMd for it.... and gave up. Then I happened upon this forum, and it gave me the inspiration to keep it up. Now I have close to 90, all (but one trade and it is unknown) legit! :D If you want 'em, the work is manageable.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
History has a funny way of repeating itself when I encountered a shiny Oddish on Route 119 in Alpha Sapphire (the remake of the game where I encountered my first shiny) while I was training up my Larvesta, this time however I caught the Oddish without too much fuss. I may evolve the Oddish in X into a Vileplume and the one in Alpha Sapphire into a Bellossom sometime in the future. MM hunt for Roselia in Y is currently at 252 eggs and counting.

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
At last it hatches

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/690_zpsneugdra3.jpg[/img139]

Shiny torchic after 1,925 eggs. He's adamant and somewhat vain, but he got Blaze. The other four torchic in this batch all got Speed Boost, but the shiny got Blaze XP I might try again at a later date, but for now I am DONE with torchic.

Unown-D remains at 3,800 REs for the day.

Edit: While training my shiny blaziken I found a random shiny mime jr in a horde. He's hasty and takes plenty of siestas, with Soundproof. Gonna send him into wonder trade since I have a shiny mr mime already.

Edit #2: Something I keep forgetting to comment on... A few pages back someone asked what we dislike most about shiny-hunting videos on YouTube... fake reactions, high-pitched eardrum-bursting voices, etc. My answer was the high-pitched voices. But the thing I hate the most about shiny-hunting vids is the swearing. With very few exceptions, when someone finds a shiny they're dropping f-bombs and other four-letter words left and right. Some of these hunters are only kids, and they're swearing like sailors!

Last edited:

SkyMew

Today, I got my second Shiny Kyurem in Alpha Sapphire! It took quite a while to catch.

I wonder if it has something to do with the steps that I got today as I had jogged.

It has a Jolly-nature, synchronizing worked, outstanding potential, with IV's on HP, Special Attack and Speed.

I should have synchronized for a Timid-nature!

I've been soft-resetting for a second Shiny Mewtwo in my Soul Silver and a Rayquaza in Ruby for GBA for like a week.

No luck with them yet.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Just a quick question for those who are keeping track, how exactly are you guys getting numbers for # of eggs hatched, or # of SRs? Is there some stat page in XY or ORAS that I'm not aware of, or are you guys just counting?

Just a quick question for those who are keeping track, how exactly are you guys getting numbers for # of eggs hatched, or # of SRs? Is there some stat page in XY or ORAS that I'm not aware of, or are you guys just counting?

They're likely all just counting the number themselves. For Eggs, they're probably going by the number of boxes hatched, which, when multiplied by 30, gives you an average amount. SRing is probably tallied- and the same goes with most people going with REs (though I'm personally keeping track of mine through number of hours spent x 60 x 3 to give me an average).
------------
Quick update for everyone else- I've reached 1260 encounters at Valley Windworks. Still no shine, but honestly, I'm not surprised.

EDIT: 1530 now. I'm honestly surprised I kept the hunt up for this long, considering how impatient I am.

EDIT (again): I kind of feel like a change of pace now, so I'll probably go for the community hunt on my copy of White 2. I'll be hunting in Route 20's Double Grass for whatever might decide to show itself. I'm at 180 encounters right now.

Good luck to everyone else on their hunts, and congrats to Phillies on Charmeleon, Unown Q, C, A, E, V, X, D, Pansear and Phantumps, nickM on Magnemite, Tsukiyomi on Oddish, Cyberra on Torchic, and SkyMew on Kyurem!

Last edited:

serpent222

I just count. I count eggs either by boxes. I go in batches of 100 (35 + 35 +30), with the 35's being a full box and one full team of eggs. Then I can count by 5's when I just hatch teams. You have to count every reset for SRing, but I tend to go in blocks of 10 or 25 and take breaks, so it is easier to remember where I left off. If I lose track, I estimate based on the amount of time I've been doing the hunt.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
sooooooorry for being this late ._.

I planned to update the result of December CH vote during last week, while I'm on vacation, but it turns out the connection in the area I'm vacationing in, is bad for my provider, even though I'm still in the same country lol

Anyway, let's not put too much focus on that.

The CH for December is Icy/Snowy Area Hunt

Hunt for a shiny in one of these areas:

Kanto: Seafoam Islands, Mt. Silver (Peak)
Johto: Ice Path.
Hoenn: Shoal Cave
Sinnoh: Route 216, Route 217, Acuity Lakefront, Mt. Coronet (Peak)
Unova: Cold Storage, Giant Chasm, Route 6, 7, 8, 20, Virbank Complex, Floccery Ranch and Dragonspiral Tower (Winter).
Kalos: Frost Cavern, Route 17

That means, when showing your CH completion shiny, you will have to show the Summary as well, or your shiny won't be counted because there's no way I can know where did you actually catch it.

I'll update the first post with this.

camhines4

Chained 3 shiny Larvitar today in what was probably the most impressive hunt I've had, due to the relatively small patch of grass in Route 206. Plan to evolve one into Tyranitar, may send one up to Gen 5. Noctowl is my next target

Magiclapras

Dragon Goddess Flyder
Recently caught a random shiny Abra in Emerald. I'm happy about it, but after checking it's nature, it raised some questions. For starters, it's a different nature to the the other 2 shinies of caught on this same file, which leads me the the next question. Does an Emerald with a dry battery still have it's set shiny frame?

I also got my shiny Dialga quite some time ago, at 7,167 SR's.

umbreonfan3636

Blanket congrats to everyone!

Actually, I might abandon this Ruby BQ. I'm ~135 hours into this save file, and I just received my first "this save file was corrupted" message. I was terrified that I had lost my Marshtomp and Kadabra, but it just loaded my previous save. Does anyone have experience with this? Should I be worried/Should I transfer them over to my HG now? I've had this Ruby version since it came out when I was a little kid (Changed the battery earlier this year).

I continued REing in my Ruby, and the game hasn't corrupted again. I just passed the odds in this hunt for Aron. I might try and focus on my Marill hunt though because after that I plan to hunt in Route 217/216 for Sneasel, which is a part of the community hunt.

Good luck to everyone hunting!

Paraqua

Beginning Trainer
Congrats on Phillies on Charmeleon, Unown Q, C, A, E, V, X, D, Pansear and Phantump x 2, NickM with Magnemite, Tsukuyomi56with Oddish, Cyberra with Torchic, SkyMew with Kyurem, camhines4 with Larvitar x 3 and to Pink Lapras with Abra and Dialga.

I just completed one of my longest Masuda Method hunts in quite a while. My target was Froakie and after just over a week and an excruciating 1407 eggs, a shiny male Froakie finally hatched.

I named him Black Jack (After the main character of the classic manga going by the same name by Osamu Tezuka) It has Timid nature through everstone passdowns and has outstanding potential with 5 perfect IV's (31/31/31/31/X/31), likes to thrash about and has Protean.

Good luck to all future shinies

taufik386

just started to hunt shiny in my black 2.

got this shiny altaria after 577 REs

[img139]http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h414/TR_esyam/P_20151208_223017_1_p_1.jpg[/img139]

[img139]http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h414/TR_esyam/P_20151208_223506_p_1.jpg[/img139]

next i will hunt something in giant chasm for this month's CH

congrat everyone on your recent shinies and good luck on yuor current hunting

Alatar VGC

House Greyjoy
Hey everyone!

It's been a little while, but finally got something to report.

Before I do, may I say congratulations to taufik386's on Altaria, Cyberra on Torchic, NickM on Magenemite, and everyone else currently MMing, SR'ing and RE'ing.

Now, I received from a friend on Serebii, a female Chikorita in a nest ball. I was breeding it with ditto to get a 5IV one. When you guessed it, I got a shiny ^^
Once again, I wasn't going for a shiny, but definitely happy that I have it.

I spent ages on SS trying to get a shiny one, but never managed it. This is also my first shiny on recently restarted X file :)

Only 17 eggs!!

It's female!! (Yes ^^) and has "Outstanding" potential.
She is in a nest ball, with a modest nature.
With perfect IV's in HP, Atk, Special attack, Special Defence and Speed.
Not perfect, but will certainly use it in WiFi multi battles..

[img139]http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr207/ckpencarrow92/Chiko2_zpsq8mvg256.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr207/ckpencarrow92/Chiko1_zpstevpyg8x.jpg[/img139]

Silly me, I forgot to breed the move "Leech seed" onto it. Will do that now and hopefully I get another shiny one?

Last edited:

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
So I've never done a CH before, what are you looking for in a summery? Just find one and post a pic?

Laurelai

So I've never done a CH before, what are you looking for in a summery? Just find one and post a pic?

Confirming that the shiny meets required criteria for this specific hunt, in this case that it be captured in the chosen areas :). So if you choose to participate, you need the photo showing that is was indeed caught where the CH states.

Vale_Star

Shiny Huntress
Ah, okay then a pic of the Where Met page. I can do that. I started looking in the Shoal Cave in AS but no luck. All I found was a HA Snorunt, not even female either. Oh well, back to the hunt.

taufik386

first, thanks to regi and congrats to you too.

i was hunting for CH in giant chasm, and got shiny ditto.
that was quick, only took 309 REs

[img139]http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h414/TR_esyam/P_20151209_122546_1_p_1_1-640x479.jpg[/img139]

[img139]http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h414/TR_esyam/P_20151209_123818_1_p-768x1024.jpg[/img139]

my CH is complete

now i want to hunt in other snowy place like dragonspiral tower.

congrats everyone on your recent shinies and good luck on your current hunting.

edit
wow can't believe this happen
shiny vanillish appeared after just 64 REs

my CH #2 is complete

[img139]http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h414/TR_esyam/P_20151209_133308_1_p_1-640x488.jpg[/img139]
[img139]http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h414/TR_esyam/P_20151209_134025_1_p-600x800.jpg[/img139]

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I finally hatched a lobster that was already cooked.

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/693_zpse2hpmxhc.jpg[/img139]

She's modest and somewhat vain, but got an IV spread more suitable for adamant or jolly natures than for modest. Le sigh... Oh well. Good thing I don't battle competitively ^^ Gonna get her trained and evolved.

Slightly on the fence about what to breed for next. I might try for woobat, actually. Or I might rebreed for a better shiny lucario.

Unown-D hunt is as 4,600 REs. If I get it before the end of December I'll move up to Route 216.