• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Hokker

Caught a shiny cubchoo this morning. Now trying for vanillite.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
Alright, last Shiny I filled you guys in on was... Escavalier. Alrighty. Here we go!

First off, I got the fool idea into my head that I should try chain-fishing for Staryu. In Omega Ruby. In Lilycove City. Yeah. As one could reasonably expect, my efforts were rewarded by a pair of Shiny Wailmer. Both of them are now Wailord, and if I ever decide to go for a Shiny Staryu again, I'm gonna find a different way to go about it.

Secondly, after I caught that second Shiny Wailmer, I decided to change my approach to chain fishing, try somewhere where I had better odds of fishing up something I didn't already have. So, it was off to Route 119. Made sure I wasn't fishing in a Feebas spot, and went for it. Sure enough, not too long into it, BAM! Shiny Sharpedo!

Finally, my latest Shiny didn't come nearly as easily as the trio of aquatic Shinies what that precede it. It all started last week. Wednesday, December 23rd. A Festivus like any other. With Christmas approaching fast, I decided I would try for a Shiny that would be fitting for the time of year. Delibird came to mind at first, as did Snover, Stantler, and Kingler, but in the end, I decided I'd go for Cryogonal. And so the MMing began. Skip ahead to six friggin' days and Arceus knows how many hundreds of Eggs later, to just earlier today, to when the sight of a Cryogonal with blue eyes and a blue mustache was actually starting to sicken me... BAM. Shiny Cryogonal! My longest hunt in a long time- hell, my second-longest successful hunt to date! Oh, I was beyond thrilled. I actually kissed my New 3DS XL. Timid nature (as per the Everstone), Levitate (obviously), and perfect HP, Defense, Special Attack, and Speed! Only complaint I could possibly have is that I couldn't hatch it on Christmas like I'd have liked to, but in the long run, I'm just happy I got the thing! And this is far from the first time I've sought out a Shiny Cryogonal, too. I have tried and failed many times before, in both Generations V and VI. So yeah, this is a pretty big deal for me.

Congrats on all recent Shinies, and good luck on all your hunts! :)

Cyberra

pain in the ***
After catching forretress I moved over to a steel safari that had magneton, metang, and excadrill and resumed my magneton hunt. After 1,107 REs I find instead a shiny metang. I knew a friend of mine wanted one in a quick ball, so I set down to catching this elusive quarry. On about the 40th quick ball it finally stuck. Metang is gentle nature and mischievous with max IVs in ATK and SpATK, and has the ability Clear Body. I will be holding him until my friend is able to trade for him.

Route 216 is at 1,900 REs. Not expecting to get anything before the end of the month, but I will stick around till I catch something.

Woobat has decided to be a real pain and is at 3,510 eggs, just shy of 7x the Gen VI odds for a shiny charm MM.

Djura

99% chance to hit
So I SR'd a 31/31/18/31/30/31 Hasty shiny Diancie. And I own a Japanese 3DS. Oh, and here's proof to back up the fact that I was at a Pokémon Store in Japan.

DJX

Shiny hunter
Hey guys , Been a while congratulations on all shinies

So yesterday I hatched a Shiny gollet after 600ish eggs , it came out with jolly KLUTZ and 31 31x 31 31 31 I was Pretty disappointed.....

BUT THE NEXT EGG was a shiny gollet too! Jolly with Iron first with 31 31 31 x 31 31 perfect spread! can you believe it?

Has this happened to anyone else? I've looked on the interent and cant find any haha!

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Continued my Shiny Altaria hunt in White, which didn't work really well today. No shiny appeared. Luck shall come soon.

LePetitMeow

I've never really been into the Shiny hunting, but decided to try it out for a while and managed to get a Shiny Mareep egg after 700 or so hatches in SS, and SR'd a shiny Cyndaquil in HG after only 22 attempts!! Pretty happy with them!

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Also continued my Altaria hunt in White today and still no luck. I really want a golden one now.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
I've decided to MM in OR for a shiny male Ralts with a hidden ability in a dream ball. Before that though, I need to breed a Modest female for him. >_<

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
while waiting for next year.......Voting time :D

As usual, PM me your choice.

I have an idea for the January CH. New year, new pokemon :D Baby pokemon that is~

Pichu
Cleffa
Igglybuff
Togepi
Tyrogue
Smoochum
Elekid
Magby
Azurill
Wynaut
Budew
Chingling
Bonsly
Mime Jr.
Happiny
Munchlax
Riolu
Mantyke

Pokemon from gen 1 because january is the first month.

Pokemon that can learn any of the three kiss moves(draining,lovely,sweet), because couples kiss when the ball drops.

Also, I completely forgot to upload the pics for my Christmas shiny. Whoops. Next year, then xD

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to taufik386 on Snivy and Seviper, Cyberra on Forretress and Metang, Supremacy on Lunatone, Phillies on Rufflet, Wartortle x2, Frogadier, Bergmite, Unown K, and Ivysaur, Paraqua on Eevee and Skitty x2, kirkeastment on Zapdos, Dangertrout on Regice and your FS shinies, Martinzqx on Registeel, Hokker on Cubchoo, Missingno. Master on Wailmer x2, Sharpedo, and Cryogonal, Creyk on Poochyena, DJX on Golett x2, LePetitMeow on Mareep and Cyndaquil, and anyone else I may have missed on your shinies!

Thanks to taufik386, Supremacy, Paraqua, Cpchris, and umbreonfan3636 for the congrats!

So I guess I'll be the first to do my shiny year-in-review. Overall it was a pretty good year for me - I averaged slightly over 2 shinies a month and nearly equaled my total from last year, which isn't bad considering how busy I ended up getting in the second half of the year. It was also a historic year, as I broke records for both my shortest and longest hunts. Here's the full breakdown:

January: Eevee (SoulSilver, 10,711 SRs)
February: Cresselia (Alpha Sapphire, 573 SRs); Venonat (SoulSilver, 2,138 REs)
March: Reshiram (Omega Ruby, 7,727 SRs)
April: Noibat (X, 590 eggs); Gliscor (Black 2, random encounter)
May: Treecko (Omega Ruby, 1,294 SRs); Drifloon (Y, 6,912 REs); Shroomish (Omega Ruby, 519 REs); Lapras (SoulSilver, 3,047 SRs)
June: Tepig (White 2, 566 SRs); Patrat (White 2, 1,177 REs); Spritzee (X, 131 eggs); Skarmory (SoulSilver, 836 REs)
July: Charmander (X, 69 eggs)
August: Aron (Omega Ruby, 6,662 REs); Eevee (White 2, 3,396 REs)
September: Deino (X, 992 eggs); Bulbasaur (Y, 5,958 SRs); Eevee (X, 285 eggs)
October: Braviary (White 2, 1,003 SRs); Mareep (Y, 854 REs); Amaura (Y, 51 SRs)
November: Axew (White 2, 602 REs); Lugia (SoulSilver, 9,823 SRs)
December: Swablu (Omega Ruby, 15,943 REs)

2015 total: 26 shinies
Grand total: 68 shinies

So all in all, I'm happy with how 2015 turned out. Here's hoping for even more luck in 2016! (Also I still have half a day before the New Year kicks in where I live, so maybe one last shiny will sneak in somehow XD).

Good luck to all of you on your hunts, especially Cyberra on that horribly stubborn Woobat and umbreonfan3636 on Aron! And may everyone have a very happy and prosperous New Year!

Shiny Lord

Uxie continues to refuse to shine. Hope it decides to soon.

TheMaster327

Congrats on the recent sparkles everyone!

Well, well. It's about time I posted some more sparkles. After a LONG 2,204 egg hunt, a blue ghost emerged!

[img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXmHo-nWsAAOb2j.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXmOlqXWYAI6ez8.jpg[/img139]

She's Timid because of Everstone, got the rare egg move of Reflect Type and three other nice moves, and has IVs: 31/31/31/0/31/31. Not great, but base 170 should break most things anyway :)

As for what's next, I have decided I'll restart my Platinum and do a badge quest on it, starting with Piplup! And what better time to start it with it being 1/1/16! Happy new year, guys!

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Whoa last night as I was collecting berries from trees via Air Cutter I found a shiny Psyduck in a horde encounter at Route 7! I'm so excited cuz I collect water type shinies and now that I've caught this one I have a dozen shinies as part of my X/Y collection. ^^

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Well, I had a better week this week, all on AlphaSapphire, and I might yet get one before the night is over, if I get time to play before the ball drops in Chicago.

First, I tried fishing again on Christmas Day, and got another shiny magickarp. :p It's hanging out in my box for the moment, I'll WT it later.

Then just a short time later, while trying to fill my pokedex at Mt. Pyre, I randomly found a shiny male vulpix. Merry Christmas to me. :D

Then a few days later while working on my pokedex at Shoal Cave, and while doing horde spams in the frosty cavern, I got a shiny spheal. :) Since it was in a frozen area, Community Hunt complete!, and just barely in time. It was good luck, too, since I got it at 2 AM and I dropped the game while nodding off, shutting it off. The shiny appeared after I turned the game back on.

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Congrats to everyone since I last posted!

Well, I got what I am sure is my final Shiny of the year. After 144 DexNav encounters, a Shiny Ditto appeared.

Well, 2015 was a good year for me Shiny-wise:

May: Tynamo (DexNav), Zebstrika (Random)
July: Wurmple (Random), Abra (Random)
August: Reshiram (SR), Zorua (DexNav), Eevee X9 (DexNav)
September: Zorua (DexNav), Latias (RA), Zubat (Hordes), Goomy (MM), Ho-Oh (SR), Entei (SR), Cubchoo (Hordes), Stunky X2 (Hordes), Roggenrola (Hordes), Foongus (SR), Helioptile (Friend Safari), Panpour (Friend Safari), Electrode (Friend Safari)
October: Sewaddle X3 (DexNav), Ralts (DexNav), Raikou (SR), Suicune (SR), Quagsire (Random), Seaking (Chain Fish), Elekid X3 (DexNav), Audino (Random), Zigzagoon (Horde), Poochyena (Horde)
December: Ditto (DexNav)

Final count: 42

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Missingno. Master on Cryogonal, Creyk on Poochyena, Djura on Diancie, DJX on both Golett, LePetitMeow on Mareep and Cyndaquil, TheMaster327 on Gastly, and everyone else on your shinies!

-----------

In an attempt to make my hunts a little more undecided, I’m trying to decide on a plan. Basically, I’m thinking if I find Lapras over odds, then I go right back to Voltorb and decide what I want to do from there. If I get Lapras under odds, then maybe I’ll take an SR break to hunt another Magikarp to complete that line, then SR for Mewtwo. I’d like to get some of these SR hunts on this game out of the way, seeing as I have Lapras, Mewtwo, Lugia, Kanto starter, Hoenn starter, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Suicune, and possibly Entei/Raikou if I ever get to that.

I’d like to get the more ‘individual’ targets first. Those being single-stage pokemon and ones that aren’t part of a duo (unable to get Mew with regards to Mewtwo)/trio, hence why my plan is to get Lapras and Mewtwo first. I’d like to go for Lugia sometime after that, but that’s going to require a particular team that I need to prepare if I’m going to try to catch it in a Pokeball while only paralyzing it (as opposed to putting it to sleep, due to Safeguard). And going back to my plan to SR the Kanto starters once I get Cyndaquil, I’d like to get my first Kanto starter on my main file, which means I may move that ahead of Lugia. I decided back around the time I was SRing for my HG BQ starter that I’d probably hunt Charmander on this file, since I was going to start my BQ with Chikorita, and the Hoenn starter I like the most is Mudkip. I figured going for my favorite Kanto starter works out well, as the starters I’ll end up with on this file are a Grass type, Fire type, and Water type.

I’m also a bit scared these SR hunts could take a while. I still have so many RE hunts to get to that I don’t want these SR hunts to throw me completely off…

Apparently I was right to question whether or not I’d have time to hunt starters a few days ago…I ended up seeing Star Wars with some friends at 3, but then another friend wanted to hang out after I got out of the movies, so the two of us went shopping for a bit, then decided to meet up with her co-worker for dinner, and then decided to go to a bar to meet up with some other people…And suddenly it was 11:30! I’d only gotten half-way through my starters >.< And I only had enough time to finish the starters the next day, so my main hunts have suffered.

I only did 200 REs/SRs today though, putting Black 2 at 1,400 REs, Platinum at 1,800 REs, and HeartGold at 3,500 SRs.

Well, I had been typing up something for each shiny as I found it starting sometime in the summer (doing the same for the shinies I found in 2015 before then as well) so that I’d have a “shiny year in review” type thing ready to go, but now that I see it’s 5 pages…Better not :p I suppose if anyone really cares to see which shinies I found and when, you can always click the picture in my sig to see my full shiny card.

I’m ending this year having found a total of 38 shinies, which is a record for me! I found 1 shiny in 2012, 27 in 2013 (but failed one), 27 in 2014 (but failed none ;) ), and now I’ve quite surpassed those amounts! Out of the 38 this year, only 4 were useless duplicates. I completed 18 evolution lines (only 4 of which were single-stage pokemon). I ended one of my tougher hunts in the form of Scyther (8 phases and 64k REs), found a shiny that I didn’t expect would take so long for me to start hunting (Heracross), found yet another shaking-patch pokemon unintentionally (Drilbur), and found a shiny that I really wanted but didn’t think I would get without repel tricking for it (Vulpix).

I had some long hunts – 36,071 for Nosepass; 29,331 for Aipom/Ambipom; 29,082 for a third Bidoof; 21,406 for Horsea/Kingdra; and 21,040 for Meditite/Medicham. I also had some short hunts – 94 for Horsea/Seadra; 98 for Tentacruel; 141 for Swablu; 267 for a second Bidoof; and 594 for Horsea. I also had my luckiest month of hunting this year, with 8 shinies found in June, and September gave me my first 3-in-1-day. Shoutout to this final month of December, which tied with October 2013 as my 2nd-luckiest month with 6 shinies, despite not really hunting this last third of the month :p

And the average number of encounters per shiny (excluding any Johto starters) for all my shinies of 2015 is…8,879! A little over the odds, but not by a whole lot. (Factoring in the number of SRs for Johto starters, the number becomes 8,326; factoring in the number of Johto starters seen, the number becomes 9,090). My total number of encounters for the year is…302,593! (This number is using the total number of REs/SRs done just in this year including current hunts, rather than using the number of REs/SRs for the shinies I found during the year like I do for the average # of encounters). That ends up being about 829 REs per day, and since I usually use 3 systems when I hunt except for my side hunts, it ends up being a mere 276 REs per day :p

To conclude, I end 2015 and begin 2016 with a total of 92 shinies…100 is approaching :D

I’m thinking I might make a video collage of my shinies appearing just for fun :eek: I'm also eager to try to beat my number of shinies this year from 2015, mainly because I feel like I can start out ahead since my first shiny of 2015 didn't appear until January 30...So as long as I find a shiny before that same date this year, I'll be ahead of myself last year :p

Good luck, everyone (especially Cyberra, umbreonfan3636, Keane, SheroGH, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, jrmftw, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, ChaoticInverse, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

Cyberra

pain in the ***
And my first shiny of 2016 is...

*drumroll*

...another metang XD After 1,635 encounters in the steel safari, metang shines again. This one is relaxed and mischievous, with its HA, Light Metal. Artnerd was asking if I had any spare duplicate shinies so I'm gonna hold onto him until she gets online and see if she wants him.

Route 216 is at 2,100 REs (relatives visiting/holiday chaos taking up hunting time).

Woobat is at 3,710 eggs, over 7x odds and working its way up to 8x odds.

ShinyStarKnight

Hey everyone, been reading in the shadows for awhile but decided to make an account to do something while I hunt for a shiny zorua

Currently at over 300 eggs hatched and slowly hatching some more.

Also thought I might mention my double random shiny azumarills I got while trying to dexnav for a aqua jet and belly drummer for competive. With in 10 encounters of each other lol.

No shiny charm tho )=

Last edited: