• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Supremacy

Shiny Hunter
YASSSS ITS OVER!!!!@!

~39k encounters and I finally get my golden Shinx!! and I can finally make some progress on this BQ :]! Naughty nature and Intimidate which is pretty good, so really pleased with that. I've had PLENTY of time to think of my next target which will be Gastly, I think.. I was starting to lean more towards Spiritomb but I'm just now learning I'll need another copy of D/P/Pt to unlock it, so I won't be able to hunt it sadly. Shiny Gastly is amazing but Gengar is so meh which is why I'm starting to shy away from hunting it. I may still hunt it but that could very well change in the future. I'll weigh out my options after I beat the next two gym leaders, (never did beat the third gym for when I got shiny Buizel =p) so we'll see. But for now.... YAY SHINY SHINX!!! <333

Thanks to everyone who wished me luck on this hunt! Gratz on the recent shinies everyone and good luck, never give up! :]

Dangertrout

Funny story...
I gave up on shiny hunting once news of Sun & Moon came out because reasons.
So I decided to start a Nuzlocke on my Pearl file instead. I've made it to the town with the contest hall, and that hiker who makes you collect an egg...
which I did and immediately hatched for my pokemon of that town...
I hatched a SHINY happiny
Kind of neat to get a shiny as one of my nuzlocke pokemon :p

payne

Whats good Fam
Hey everyone! Good luck to all of you on the shiny hunting and I hope we can all achieve our shiny hunting goals!
So since I have found a shiny Bannette and Lotad on my Sapphire Version (not Alpha Sapphire), I've decided that I'm going to use my Sapphire Version for this month's Shiny Hunt.
The pokemon I'll be carefully hunting for is going to be Numel! I'll be hunting all day today and hopefully have my catch by or before the end of my birthday tomorrow.
Happy Hunting!!

Blasting Toise

Today it finally happened- my newest MM success is Ekans- after like 600-700 eggs or so Ekans finally shined to me :D. She was also a girl like I wanted- I named her Cleopatra and she will be part of my Ancient Egypt- themed team I decided to make just for fun. Now I just need to trade last 7 boxes of extra ekans-babies in Wonder Trade XD

I'm not sure if you're supposed to join up before posting or something, but I thought since I'm trying to get into shiny hunting I may as well post here once in a while.

I can't remember exact dates, but sometime in early 2014, I was breeding Beldums for my failed first attempt at a LiveDex. One hatched shiny, but I then traded it off for an Articuno. Other guy kinda got scammed though, considering Shiny Beldum got distributed later that year.

And in February, my friend was searching desperately for a shiny, first starting with MMing Dedenne, and then Bulbasaur after giving up. He'd got the shiny charm from my now (missing the Gen III-V mythicals, as well as Volcanion) LiveDex. He'd gotten about 300 with Dedenne, and he approached those numbers with Bulbasaur. I then decided to help him, not believing I'd contribute much.

I got a shiny Bulbasaur on my second egg ^^;

I called it Obese as per my friend's request, and now he's got the Shiny Ivysaur he's always wanted.

didnt stop him saying 'I hate you' about a million times

But I've recently been MMing with Togepi, but I gave up a while back after 350+ eggs. Do you guys think it's worth starting up again considering the minimal difference in its line's shiny palette?

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I have apparently picked a very stubborn target for my BQ #3. I just hit 6,400 REs on route 110, static-tricking for an electric-type and still nothing. That's not counting several DexNav attempts and several hundred DexNav encounters that also went nowhere (resulting in me having a lvl 45 shiny blaziken already and the rest of my team being in the 30s). I did capture a non-shiny lvl 30 3-star electrike with ice fang that I found with the dexnav, but have not yet found the elusive blue one yet.

Maniac Tunnel is at 8,700 REs. Route 110 is at 6,400 REs

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
I haven't been up with my shiny hunting since I lost my OR game ; - ;
It's been two months and I havent found it.

Though I was MMng Bulbasaur in that game. It hit about 200 eggs max :/

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
It's been a while since I caught a shiny, but in order to feel special with this community, I decided to do chain fishing.

With 136 successful lands, I happened across a shiny Staryu. This is the most amount of encounters I've had to chain fish.

Staryu's stats are crap. It's Relaxed, and Sp. Att and Speed are very abysmal. I can try again, but I'm happy to finally get one again.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
While doing some more fishing this time at Route 22 on X version, I got lucky and hooked a shiny Carvanha hee hee. :D I'm happy since I was searching for a shiny Sharpedo any ways in Omega Ruby days before this encounter, so now I'll simply evolve this shiny Carvanha and get my shiny Sharpedo this way instead. I also wanna wish every one else good luck. :3

Shraeder

It's Lit
Been running around Friend Safari for 6 hours now and haven't seen a single shiny...my luck sucks lol.

EDIT: After another 2 hours of searching, I finally found a shiny Frogadier. No protean ability but it is Timid :)

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Now I have a shiny Clauncher after the 80th catch (exactly 80). Unlike Staryu, Clauncher has very good stats. It's Quiet (which is a better buff than a nerf), and it's IVs are somewhat above average. They aren't perfect, but I'm not into getting pefect IVs. I just want to get good ones.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Well, it's been a busy week for me, with two new shinies and three repeats, and one of the repeats completely out of the blue.

First, on OmegaRuby, after spending days in a Mirage Cave with Onix and tynamo, I got... a tynamo. Thank God I looked over in time to catch the sparkles, the difference is so miniscule.

Then on AlphaSapphire, after days on a Mirage Island, I got what I was hoping for on the last Mirage Island I visited, a venomoth. The blue looks so great. :)

Then i did some simultaneous horde spams on OR and AS, and got a repeat machop (on OR) and a repeat zigzagoon (on AS), which I'm speed training because I'm bored, LOL.

After that I decided to take a break for the rest of the week, but then while I was searching for fossils in a cave on AS for a wonder trade session, I randomly found a shiny graveller. O_O Luckily I caught it at full health in an ultra ball.

Laurelai

Congrats to everyone getting shinies, and to those still working on them, good luck! Particular grats to Dangertrout for the happiny!!

CH COMPLETE with my fun little bloo cow :) Clover took me about 850-ish eggs to hatch- IV spread is great! Only missing perfect IV is in SpATK and that one is irrelevant. It has the Scrappy ability which is what I wanted, I put the move Belch on it because it amuses me and it was hatched in a "mooooooon" ball :D SO! Clover is #98, leaving me two more in my run for 100! Next is either porygon or happiny, not sure which. Looks like shiny, competitive Blissy is going to be a PITA to work on (need a bunch of oval stones) but I want one lol.

[img139]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/Laure1ai/IMG_20160324_222957.jpg_zpsbcvtwgxd.png[/img139]

Mooooo!

SkyMew

Very sorry to hear :( I would always just take the time to literally stop and think about what you’re about to press, whether it’s an attack, clicking “bag” vs “run”, etc. After spending hours upon hours trying to find a shiny, it’s absolutely worth the solid 5 seconds of extra thought to make sure you’re hitting what you actually want to hit. I’ll generally even re-read the attack I’m about to use and make sure it’s the right one and that I’m not mixing up attack names or something (I’ll look at the other moves available to make sure I didn’t go entirely crazy and start thinking “Poisonpowder” is the move to use instead of “Sleep Powder”). So many people are in a rush to capture a shiny once it appears that instead of spending an extra minute making sure everything’s done correctly, they end up having to spend more weeks on a reclaim. I’ll take extra seconds over extra weeks every time :|

Hope a reclaim comes easily!

Thank you. I'm glad you saw the post that I had deleted. =)

I'm relieved, because in fact, I just reclaimed and captured my second Shiny Mewtwo, on my birthday in Soul Silver!

According to the stat judge in Soul Silver, its stats are decent, with a fantastic Defense stat.

I've been trying to get this one for some time, and now I have a second Shiny Mewtwo.

I've now encountered 3 Shiny Mewtwo in total. One in Fire Red, and two in Soul Silver. I was kind of sure it would have taken me much longer.

maldoror

Man, it has been a loooong time since I posted here. I have been hunting off and on in the months since my last post and have recently gotten back to more regular hunting.

I was RE hunting on Route 12 in Y, hoping for Tauros, Miltank, or Chatot. I caught a shiny Chatot yesterday and then this happened this morning:

http://i.imgur.com/ytlTTpw.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/drLqh43.jpg

TWO shiny Tauros in a single horde!!

The one I caught is adamant, so I guess I picked well.

I had done some victory road hunting looking for Haunter and Lickitung. I found two Druddigons, a Zweilous, a Graveler, and a Geodude, but not my targets. I moved to route 12 because I was tired of seeing Gravelers.

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck on your ongoing hunts!

Last edited:

umbreonfan3636

Hey there y'all! It's been a while, and I have nothing to show for it right now. Currently, my Ruby game is over 100 hours of gameplay since my shiny Abra. In Platinum, I think I'm at ~4,000 REs for Swinub/Sneasel, and I am in front of the Game Corner in my Fire Red game, but haven't started SRing for Scyther yet (I think I'm going to concentrate on Ruby and Platinum first).

Major congrats to Supremacy on that Shinx, and congrats on Mewtwo SkyMew (that's a shiny I will be hunting in the future)!

Good luck everyone! Especially those doing full odds hunts!

Shraeder

It's Lit
@Laurelai, When you MM do you soft reset or just keep hatching eggs over and over?

jrmftw

Green Dragon Trainer
Congrats to everyone on their recent shinies. Especially those hunting well over odds. I'll have to give you some of my luck. :)

My Route quest is still bringing me absolutely amazing luck. I managed to get 3 shinies within 3 days, only being able to hunt in the evening after work.
Shiny Houndour F (Hel) - Route 10
Shiny Nidorino (Spike)- Route 11
Shiny Roggenrola F (Janis) - Reflection Cave
I didn't get to count how many encounters for these, as the battery in my counter has died, but i'm pretty sure everyone of them was under 1000 encounters.
And I think I accidentally completed the Community Hunt?

Anyway, I have just completed the 3rd gym and currently hunting in route 12. Hoping for anything except wingull or mareep. I'm also going to SR for the gift Lapras in this route, because why not? So I should be stuck here for a while.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
:D After a total of 8,157 REs, just under twice the odds, I get the third shiny for my badge quest: a female shiny electrike! Exactly what I was hunting for! She's bashful and hates to lose, with Lightning Rod. Her name is Eigenwijs, which according to Artnerd is Dutch for "stubborn".

I'm now going to go clear the third gym and then figure out my next target.

Edit: Eigenwijs is now a lvl 32 manectric, with her mega stone. I was thinking of hunting in the Fiery Path for numel, but instead I chose to magnet pull for skarmory on route 113. I have retrieved a magnet pull magneton from pokebank and have set up to begin.

Last edited:

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Recently caught a shiny Espurr on Route 6 in Pokemon Y, it was quite easy only needing one Sleep Powder from Venusaur and a Heal Ball. Rosella MM is currently at 321 eggs, hopefully it will shine in time for this month's CH but I will not be bummed if this does not occur.

Last edited: