• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Narshen

Rocket Grunt
While EV training my Zekrom in White, I encountered a shiny Basculin!

It was Careful natured, though I'm not too concerned about that. Finding a full-odds shiny is always exciting, especially when you weren't expecting it.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I just hit 27,000 soft resets for dialga. Is this thing actually obtainable, or did it lock itself again in my AS? Seriously. If it reaches 27,850 it will have taken over the title of my longest SR hunt ever from ledyba. I swear that's what this thing is actually trying to do.

To anyone who thinks Gen VI is all easy shinies, I can tell you from personal experience that no it ain't

Edit: FINALLY!!!

[img139]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s225/Primus001/Shiny%20Pokemon/dialga_zpsjvwxxqyr.png[/img139]

After 27,153 soft resets, the stubbornnest blue dragon ever finally decides to shine. Sync worked and he is modest, and somewhat vain, with three max IVs. I refuse to translate his name; suffice to say it is Dutch and very rude. This bugger had it coming after the hunt it put me through.

Gonna move my hunting breloom and some appropriately-natured sycners to the bank for transfer to OR. There I will begin hunting reshiram.

Last edited:

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to Samayouru on Patrat, Kalosian on Tentacruel, Alexander18 on Xatu, Gwabatim on Spearow, Dangertrout on Smoochum, Squirtle, Munna, Elekid, and Sunkern, Erron Black on Larvesta and all your other shinies, Mrs. Oreo on Finneon and Lampent, Shinyhunter1990 on Zigzagoon, Whismur, Zubat, Poliwag, Stunky, and Roggenrola, Laurelai on Nidorina, Spearow, and Mewtwo, FairyWitch on Hoothoot, TheBuckeye11 on Fraxure, Cpchris on Starly, Magikarp, Zubat, and Lairon, Pluski on Charmander and your other shinies, Lucy Suzunia on Noibat, Braixen, Amaura, and Eevee, SebastiaanZ on Magnemite, Claus351 on Tentacruel and Shuppet, Scherzando on Gastly, Gabriel Faria on Zigzagoon x3, FawfulFury on Giratina, wobbanut on Clefairy, Team Volt Grunt on Yanma and Skrelp, Paraqua on Rhyhorn, Zenn of Ascension on Cubone, Akko on Latias, SheroGH on Latias, Gastly, and Hitmonlee, TheMaster327 on Electabuzz and completing your BQ, Doomdour on Sandshrew, MechanisticMoth on Wurmple, Narshen on Basculin, and finally, HUGE congrats to Cyberra on that ultra-stubborn Dialga!

Thanks to Kalosian and Cpchris for the congrats, and thanks also to Cpchris for the luck!

So in my month-long absence from the thread, I started a few new projects. One is probably the most ambitious quest I've ever undertaken, which is a Route Quest in Y version. I'll be hunting in every location in the game where Pokemon can be found, which comes out to 31 hunts on the same game. I'm doing this on the same file as my Y BQ (didn't want to restart and have to transfer all my shinies over), which was a mixed bag in terms of hunt length, so hopefully this quest will be kind to me. So far I'm at 400 REs on Route 2, hoping to find a Caterpie or Scatterbug.

The second one is a Pawniard repel trick/Magnet Pull hunt in White, which I haven't visited since completing my BQ almost three years ago. I've always loved shiny Pawniard and Bisharp, and never got around to hunting it during my BQ, so I'm glad to start this little side hunt for a dream shiny. It's nice because with the repel trick up and Magnet Pull active, I get Pawniard about 90-95% of the time, and the only other option is Duosion, which I also like in its shiny form, and it's the only other thing I don't have from this route. I'm up to 1200 REs so far.

Finally, the last project was a Chespin MM hunt, which was intended to replace the starter hunt on the Route Quest since I'm not starting from scratch (and tbh, I don't know if I could bring myself to do another 6th gen starter hunt after Fennekin took me nearly 7 months). Two nights ago, after a couple weeks of hatching and 480 eggs total, I found my shiny Chespin! It's interesting - I thought the red color on him was a little deeper judging from Youtube videos, but it's actually a little more of a brownish-red. I still love it though, and he's adorable ^_^ I named him Kenny Chespy, and he has an Adamant nature from Everstone, perfect Attack and Sp. Def, and the Overgrow ability (even though both parents had Bulletproof... I actually hatched tons of female Bulletproof Chespin during this hunt, but of course no suck luck when it comes to the shiny >_<). He'll be staying as a Chespin, because I find Quilladin and Chesnaught hideous.

Meanwhile, in White 2 land... Volcarona is still as stubborn as ever, hitting 22,000 SRs last night. It's now over three times the combined length of my other 5 hunts on the same file, and getting close to 3x the odds. It's also coming up on a full year since I started this hunt, by far the longest span of time I've ever spent on one Pokemon. At this point I'm just curious as to how many other shinies I can get before it. As for my other hunts, Route 48 is at 6800 REs, and I'm slowly making progress on Chimchar at 2500 SRs.

Good luck to all of you on your hunts, especially Zenn of Ascension on Larvitar!

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I did some more chain fishing for shinies this afternoon, although I didn't succeed in snagging anything while working on that in Alpha Sapphire version unfortunately. I did do some extra shiny Uxie soft resets in my Pearl version yesterday however since I had free time and all, but I still need to try harder on that hunt cuz I've fallen behind schedule. ^^;

Phillies

Congratulations to everyone who have gotten new shinies since I last posted.

In the last month I managed to catch 2 Lotad, 2 Inkay, 2 Nuzleaf, Numel, Woobat, Grimer, Girafarig, Sliggoo, Torkoal, Minccino, Delibird, Sigilyph, 5 Vanillite, Cubchoo, Cacnea & Lunatone.

Good luck to everyone on their current and future hunts.

Anyone ever not realize they caught a shiny? I was going back through my boxes while working on my living Pokedex and just so happened to notice I had a shiny Dragalge that I evolved from a Skrelp. I even used it for surf/waterfall, so it was in my party for a while. I'm excited and happy, but I also feel kind of dumb!

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
......I forgot to log in for some reason -_-

Anyway, CH choices are:

Hello, With all the recent tech release and news my suggestion for this months CH is an electronic theme where we catch electric-type , steel-type and Porygon.

Starter pokemon for the start of school.

Please PM/VM me your choice before the 15th

As usual, after the CH is chosen, any eligible Pokemon caught before the date the CH is chosen but is still within the same month, will be counted, so don't worry ;)

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
I've hatched 20 full boxes of Eevee and no shiny. 600 Eevee! I'm almost over the odds for the first hunt of this badge quest. I want this Eevee to show up so I can move farther in the game and start a different hunting method again.

Good luck on your hunts!

SheroGH

Hi, congrats to Cpchris on Lairon, Cyberra on Dialga (that's a lot of SRs o.o) and everyone else on their shinies!!

YES!!! YES!! Finally Lapras decided to shine!! After 2494 SRs:

[spoil][img139]http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/rr319/sheroo1992/Shiny%20Lapras_zpsrq0aoqgd.jpg[/img139][/spoil]

I was so bored with this hunt because the Lapras sprite always had to move and I was hoping that it would end quickly :) Now I finally have one of my favorite shinies!

Now I'm hunting Groudon on this game.

Good luck on all your hunts!

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Was busy EV training a Jigglypuff in Heartgold for my mono-Normal type run in Kanto when another particular Jigglypuff decided to drop by...

Shiny Puff.jpg

Can't wait to get this one transferred to Gen VI so I can see the 3D model!

Last edited:

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
I'm back and focusing extra on hatching some Eevee! I managed to get a shiny Eevee, however it is missing the hidden ability. I found it from the 684th egg (and the odds are one in 683), I think I'll leave this one unevolved, so I'll have the shiny form in the Pokedex when moving to future games. I'll start over the count and try again, but good luck to those that have yet to find their target! And, congrats on those shinies since I was gone!

shiny_hunter5

Congrats all especially that SS HG Lapras :)

Question for you guys what is a good SR and or RE count per sitting? I'm currently getting in 200-300 in per night but feel that is't enough for some reason.

Laurelai

Good luck! I was aiming for a HA shiny Espeon, and before I got it, I got (due to lack of HA) shiny Jolteon (and its quite an effective little guy), Glaceon (also quite effective), Umbreon (wrong nature), Vaporeon (again, wrong nature), and Sylveon (haven't really tried it) before my lovely green alien espeon was hatched.

I'm back and focusing extra on hatching some Eevee! I managed to get a shiny Eevee, however it is missing the hidden ability. I found it from the 684th egg (and the odds are one in 683), I think I'll leave this one unevolved, so I'll have the shiny form in the Pokedex when moving to future games. I'll start over the count and try again, but good luck to those that have yet to find their target! And, congrats on those shinies since I was gone!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Anyone got some guesses as to what the shiny forms of Alolan Pokemon will be? Besides Exeggcutor of course

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Well, I finally got some more shinies this week, plus I accomplished a lot by finishing the National Dex in AlphaSapphire and getting the shiny charm, and I advanced in my replay of 3rd gen Ruby, earning the first two badges.

Anyway, on AS I managed to encounter a shiny marill by RE after doing a horde encounter, then on OmegaRuby I found another shiny aron in a horde.

Team Volt Grunt

Pokémon Collector
Hatched box 21 and currently working on 22 and 23. I might put breeding on hold and try again for Honedge or Houndour once I'm over the odds. I'm tired of going back and forth in front of the daycare and around in circles at Lumiose.

Congrats on the recent shinies and good luck with current hunts!

I wish you luck! A green Espeon with Magic Bounce is my target. I've already got names planned out for either gender. I don't know what I'll do if it doesn't have its hidden ability when it finally shines. I'll either evolve it into Espeon anyway or go with Jolteon, but I'm definitely not going to continue MM'ing once I have that shiny. MM takes way too long compared to Horde hunts or RE.

Edit: I'm officially over the odds now with 23 boxes (690 eggs) completely hatched. I think I'll fill boxes 24 and 25 and see what happens, but I haven't progressed in my badge quest in almost 2 weeks and I'm ready to put breeding on hold and try another method of shiny hunting. Congrats to Erron Black for the Porygon and TheMaster327 for the Suicune!

Last edited:

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Got shiny Porygon #2! Nicknamed this one Roboduck.

Just one more and I can get off the god awful Mirage Island!!!

Also: Huge congrats to Cyberra on that hella stubborn Dialga!!! 27,000+ SRs?! I would be banging my head against a wall and going insane!

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Speculation on shiny forms

Alolan forms
* Sandshrew line-Honestly not expected much more than a deeper shade of blue
* Vulpix line-Don't expect much change
* Exeggcutor-Not changed in the slightest
* Meowth-It looks like a shiny, so I'd change the color of the coin
* Raichu-Like Cradily, they could recolor it to resemble Pikachu more
* Marowak-It could become red(thus sinister) or change the color of its fire
* Rattata line-Darkish purple, or make it a spooky white rat

New Pokemon
* Rowlett-Given the alchemy theme, perhaps more whiter to represent salt
* Litten-A sulphurous yellow in place of red
* Popplio-A dark gray to represent seals
* Rockruff-Colored lead
* Komala-Darker fur, or green fur to represent koala's arborel habitation
* Pikipek-A blue streak instead of reddish-orange
* Cutiefly-Make it light blue for that fairy aspect
* Togedemaru-It's Sonichu done right, so if they want to make an in-joke have it become yellow. I want to see Chris-Chan's reaction
* Mimikyu-Makes the most sense to resemble Shiny Pikachu
* Mudbray line-I can imagine a darker, blacker coat
* Minior-Paint it black so it comes off as a burned meteor
* Pyukumuku-Color it green, so it looks even more like a cucumber
* Turtonator-Give it the same coloration as Bowser
* Crabrawler-Reddish, and with coconut brown claws

TheMaster327

So. After a LONG 11,333 SR hunt, blue doge finally shows up!
[img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CseYY85XYAEPiB6.jpg[/img139][img139]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CseYaWrWYAA3WYC.jpg[/img139]

Shiny Suicune! Modest sync worked, and the IVs aren't too bad. IVs: 6, 7 / 31 / 31 / 25 / 25 / 31

At least now I can move on to hatching Kabuto!

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck in your ongoing hunts!

I haven't posted any of my shinies here in a while (since July 1). During that time I have been focusing on breeding competitively viable shinies in preparation for a tournament this coming weekend. Thanks to my Japanese 6 IV Ditto I got from the GTS way back on Black (of very dubious legitimacy), getting 4 and 5 IVs hasn't been that difficult. Here are my MM shinies from these hunts:

July 5 – Adamant Carvanha 5 perfect IVs (missing attack)
July 6 – Modest Skrelp 5 perfect IVs (missing attack)
July 13 – Modest Litwick 5 perfect IVs (missing HP)
July 20 – Adamant Scyther 4 perfect IVs (missing defense and sp. Defense)
July 21 – Modest Horsea 5 perfect IVs (missing attack)
August 3 – Timid Porygon 5 perfect IVs (missing HP)
August 8 – Jolly Starly 4 perfect IVs (missing sp attack and speed)
August 16 – Adamant Kangaskahn 5 perfect IVs (missing defense)
August 18 – Jolly Buneary 4 perfect IVs (missing special attack and speed)
August 19 – Timid Charmander 4 perfect IVs (missing attack and sp. Attack)
August 26 – Impish Skarmory 5 perfect IVs (missing sp. Attack)
September 2 – Modest Exeggcute 5 perfect IVs (missing attack)
September 8 – Jolly Ponyta 5 perfect IVs (missing HP)

These have all been fully EV trained and all but a few are at level 100 (the rest will get there tonight). I have also caught 3 shiny Gabites in a Y friend safari while hunting a Sliggoo for my daughter. I am going to hatch some more Slowpoke eggs today in hopes that it shines before the tourney.

**EDIT** Slowpoke shined! She is Bold, with Oblivious and 5 perfect IVs (missing sp def).

If anyone is going to J1 Con in Philadelphia this weekend I will be the 6'5" Lt Surge.

Last edited: