1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Dangertrout, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Waves01

Waves01 Shiny Hunter

Started my first MM hunt in pkmn moon it's a Minior hunt already hatched over 65 eggs. Hope I get one soon. I'm breeding it with a foreign ditto and the Minior I'm breeding has a naive nature.

2. Marvs

Marvs Shinneeee!

Got my shiny charm this weekend (only half way through the game too!) and decided to test it out by hatching Wimpods, I got a random shiny one on Wondertrade with decent IVs and used that as a parent. About 45 eggs later a little red legit wimpod hatched! Moved straight onto Vulpix in excitement, but not so much luck there, think I am on around 200 eggs now.

3. maldoror

maldoror Well-Known Member

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck in your ongoing hunts!

On Saturday, Rockruff shined after a few hundred eggs. She didn't get the Attack IV, but she is still awesome. While EV training her in speed, a shiny Cutiefly appeared! Perfect SpA, Speed, defense, and SDef. Ribombee was the MVP of my Sun playthrough so I had hoped to MM one eventually but this one is awesome.

I am now SOS hunting Cubones and will go back to MMing Fomantis when this chain breaks.

4. Waves01

Waves01 Shiny Hunter

Awesome I didn't get my shiny charm till after I beat the game. and now I'm hunting Minior atm the MM way abt 105-110. good luck with the vulpix hunt and I hope I get my black meteorite soon.

5. Marvs

Marvs Shinneeee!

Thank you! I used Carvanha to get most of the Pokemon (excluding some of the rarer trade whilst holding pokes) so if anyone needs any help that's the pokemon I would advise breeding in bulk!

After Vulpix I need to continue with the story, shiny hunting distracts me too much!

6. Waves01

Waves01 Shiny Hunter

NP. Cool i used fearow for most of mine then i used my pinsir for mimikyu and smeargle for the rest. and how did u get those sprites for ur signature?

7. AmethystLeslie

AmethystLeslie Well-Known Member

This is what I get for trying to breed 5IV Castform. Force of habit at this point.

Just hatched a shiny one. Male/Timid, Best/Best/Pretty Good/Best/Best/Best.

Breeding some just to give to people in case they want Castform for the dex. Just felt like breeding 6IV ones, and giving them Cosmic Power and some levelup moves.

8. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

Got my Shiny Comfey in 207 SOS encounters. This one was a PAIN. Draining Kiss and Wrap got very annoying, I had to keep the 20+ leveled ones alive as they don't have Draining Kiss, but they still have Wrap. :/

My shiny is Sassy with 4IVs and I named her Leila. Now going for Spinarak since I was going to go for one in Gen 6, but I would've had to breed, this is much easier. :)

9. Scherzando

Scherzando scare-TZAN-doe

Just caught a nice dark red Rattata! I went to Route 2 to EV train and it was the first pokemon to show up. Without lowering its HP (I wasn't going to risk losing a shiny by using Toxic, my team's only status move), I caught it in a Premier Ball because I like the contrast of the white/red ball with the Rattata's dark red. Now I have a shiny regular Raticate and a (eventually) shiny Alolan Raticate. :D

I did that too. I put apricorn Eevees on the GTS and they go in SECONDS. Deposit, browse a bit, exit, and revisit the GTS and it's traded.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  10. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

I actually recommend catching a Pokemon in an Apricorn Ball that is in high demand and breeding them. I got more than 60% of my dex completed because of Love Ball Komalas.

11. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

What Alola forms do you think have better shinies than their normal variant counterparts, and which do you think have worse?

12. Cyberra

Cyberra pain in the ***

I'm excited about Gen 7 because WE CAN FINALLY HAVE OUR LEGIT MOON BALL UMBREONS!

*inhales deeply, exhales slowly*

Anyway, I'm at 1,100 eggs for pumpkaboo. Realized the one I was breeding was small or medium, so I... upsized.

13. Echo Nacyl

Echo Nacyl Well-Known Member

^This
    So much that. I plan to collect Apricorn Ball Eevees to breed at least one of each. Moon Ball Umbreon is actually pretty high on my MM list for this gen.

Currently double MM'ing, alternating between Wimpod and Cutiefly

14. Keovix

Keovix Well-Known Member

Congratulations to everybody on your shinies!

Found 3 shinies since my last post!

Fomantis appeared after 174 encounters, Hasty nature and Perfect IV's in HP, Sp. Defense, Defense and Speed.

Grubbin after 220 encounters, Rash nature and perfect IV's in Attack, Sp. Attack, Sp. Def and Speed.

And Bounsweet after 781 encounters, Modest nature and perfect IV's in HP, Defense, Sp. Def and Speed, so far my longest hunt.

Just started s.o.s. for shiny Comfey.
    Good luck to all those hunting!

15. Blastonite

Blastonite Dream Crusher

Since hatching double Dhelmise to finish my first 6 shinies(technically 8 with double Crabrawler and Dhelmise) I decided to actually fill my Alola dex by actually having the pokemon not just the entries from trading and such. I am now deciding to go after Gift Porygon then Gift Aerodactyl. Since Type: Null can be shiny I imagine they can be too. I'll update within a week with both hopefully if they can be!

16. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

Just got my Shiny Spinarak! Took 85 encounters, she's Bold nature with Insomnia. I think I'm going to Masuda Method for Drampa now! :)

17. Conquering Storm

Conquering Storm Driver of the Aegis

Well, I haven't gotten in any progress on my Gen VI hunts because I was distracted by playing Sun, but I restarted White 2 yesterday and while I was level grinding in Floccesy Ranch prior to the Aspertia Gym battle, I stumbled across a shiny Lillipup! Caught her on the first Poké Ball and named her Lucky; she's now the third member of my team.

18. Charoshi

Charoshi Charmander is best

So I restarted the Omega Ruby Badge Quest I started a month back. I got up to about 600 soft resets for Treecko when I decided that I was going to go after a Ralts to serve as my starter instead. I ground a Surskit up to learn sweet scent, and started horde hunting not to find a shiny, but to try to boost up my dexnav odds because it was being disagreeable. Ralts is rare in hordes but I figured I wouldn't find another shiny, but I was wrong.

[Img139]https://s23.postimg.org/c923tgyzf/IMG_0884.jpg[/Img139]

Zigzagoon was pretty low on my want list, like near the bottom, but its a nice shiny and I got a quick hunt like I wanted. So Beggars can not be choosers! Now to beat Roxanne with nothing but Ziggy..

19. Congrats to everyone on their wonderful shinies! :D I haven't posted in a bit since I was very busy with S/M and helping my friend with her VGC team, but I did get to go after a Shiny after I was done!

I got a Timid Shiny Cutiefly with perfect IVs in all but... Sp. Atk. Which was a huge bummer, but at least]/i] I can use a Bottle Cap on it :)

Right now I'm just kind of casually hatching eggs of Pokemon I want to use competitively, but I'm also hoping for Shinies too. I'm hatching Mimikyu right now, which is another Shiny I want to have.

I want the starters, but first, I have to take care of the other Shiny starters in my Shiny starter project, and I also kind of want to wait until Intimidate is released for Litten...

20. Marvs

Marvs Shinneeee!

So I am trying the (possibly not so) new method of MM for my Vulpix hunt, it basically takes advantage of the new pre-determined egg stats in Sun/Moon. You substitute a magikarp for your desired Pokemon, as magikarp requires a tiny 1280 steps to hatch, then you either collect 30 eggs and stop the breeding, hatch all the eggs and check for a shiny or do what I am doing (which I hope works, it should) but just keep continually hatching like normal and every 10-15 eggs save your game (but make sure you have no eggs on you or that the daycare isn't holding eggs). Keep doing this until you get your shiny magikarp and then SR to your last save which shouldn't be more than 10 eggs or so back, remove magikarp from daycare and put your desired Pokemon in and it should shine on the very same egg magikarp did!

I hope this isn't against the rules, no external devices are used or anything but if it is just delete this! If anyone wants anymore info just drop me a PM, I will update you all with my results :)