• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

The wait is finally over after 3 days of SR, I got my Shiny Type: Null, I synched for Naive Nature, his IV's are 31/4/31/7/22/31, I'm just so excited :)

[img139]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p269/vegitto3045/image_zps3elu0nxs.jpg[/img139]

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
I should have said this yesterday when I updated the CH completion, not sure why I forgot lol.

Everyone, you can start PM me your ideas for January CH. :)

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck in your ongoing hunts!

On Tuesday I hatched a shiny Popplio! He is modest nature and outstanding overall potential. After EV training and evolving Popplio, I switched to MM hunting Rowlet. He shined in less than 100 eggs! He is adamant nature with outstanding overall potential. I am finishing up EV training Rowlet and will then move on to MM hunting Stufful. Special attack EV training in Sun and Moon is so frustrating. The best option is Orocorio and their SOS chances are dreadful.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
I was hatching some Abra in Moon a few days with my foreign Ditto ago to get Synchronizers aaaand bam. One of them was shiny. It was a pleasant surprise, although I'm not really a fan of the Abra line nor their shiny forms. Unfortunately it also came with a crappy nature (wasn't using Everstone for Synchronizers, obviously), Inner Focus and it inherited all the wrong IVs (SpA and Spe both low, everything else 31). It's not even in a special ball, but I guess Ultra Ball's colour scheme fits Abra...

Welcome to the trophy box!
Also I guess that means I completed the community hunt?

Meanwhile my Sneasel hunt is going strong at 413 eggs hatched.

Last edited:

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I'm at 500 SRs for litten in Sun. Really hoping it shines soon because I'm getting sick of this cutscene and seeing Kahuna Hala's face

wobbanut

Team Awesome
After a few weeks of inactivity in shiny hunting, just playing Sun, I finally got a new shiny by SOS method, a shiny delibird. :D I named it Kwanzaa since I caught it on December 26. It's also the latest addition to my shiny Rocketdex (my attempt to get shinies of all of Team Rocket's pokemon), the first in some time. I'll try for growlithe on New Year's Eve, which is also on my Rocketdex list. Hey, James didn't have Growlie in a pokeball, but why not include it?

Shiny Lord

Over 600 eggs now for shiny Sandygast and nothing so far. Hopefully it decides to shine soon. This is my first sun and moon mm hunt to go over 600. No shiny charm yet.

Keovix

Congratulations everybody on your shinies!

Started a S.O.S. chain for Delibird on the 25th but I was slightly annoyed by how fast I had to switch the caller, after some fails I decided to try and breed my first MM shiny ever and hopefully also get one with 5 IV's, watched some guides about breeding and eventually I was getting 5 IV's Delibirds and after 658 eggs, shiny Delibird hatched, I picked Jolly nature and it has perfect IV's in HP, Attack, Defense, Sp. Defense and Speed.

Gonna EV train and level up and use it to get items since Delibird can learn Thief ;225;

I'm currently on a 65 S.O.S. chain for a shiny Bruxish.
Good luck to all those hunting!

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I'm still working on my shiny Giratina hunt on my Pearl game hee hee. I had been hoping to finish that hunt by New Year's Eve and take a break before beginning my shiny Heatran hunt, but I guess that won't happen on schedule unfortunately. Still, I'm continuing to shiny hunt on Y and Alpha Sapphire as well via chain fishing and Friend Safari hunting, so I hope to find a new shiny soon. :]

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
Congrats to Cyberra on Pumpkaboo, Zubat, Mime Jr. x 2, and Roggenrola, NintendoFan82 on Cubone, RedJirachi on Hoppip, Keovix on Comfey, Cubone, Vulpix, Meowth, and Delibird, Narshen on Feebas, Mrs. Oreo on Corphish, CharizardRulez84 on Spinarak, Ariados, and Type: Null, Charoshi on Magnemite, _Edu on Bagon and Geodude, Erron Black on Drampa, Atome on Spearow, Pikipek, Espeon, and Eevee, FowTech95 on Makuhita, Azulart on Oranguru, FairyWitch on Morelull, Echo Nacyl on Mankey, Dylz on Mimikyu, Psyduck, Mankey, Zubat, Bonsly, and Cubone, maldoror on Popplio and Rowlet, xerxes on Abra, wobbanut on Delibird, and anyone else I may have missed on your shinies!

Thanks to Waves01 and Cpchris for the congrats!

Wow, not bad. Wish my owl would turn minty soon. 5,415 SRs at the time of typing. Kill me...

Oh man, that sucks... I really hope you get your green bird soon, those SRs are brutal.

My White 2 luck is back! ^_^ After only 703 SRs, the Volcarona curse has been broken with a shiny Virizion!

I'm so glad White 2 decided not to troll me twice in a row... Virizion has been on my list of targets for a very long time and is one of my favorite shinies from 5th gen. I found it while watching a movie with my family, which resulted in probably my most lame shiny reaction ever. XD The pink antelope was a stubborn bugger though... I was 4 PP away from having to use my Master Ball before I finally caught it. Its name is Grace and it has a Quiet nature, which is terrible but that's ok. It's also my 4th shiny this month, which is the most I've gotten in a single month the entire year!

I didn't know when I'd ever get to say this, but my White 2 BQ is only one shiny away from completion now! I'll be hunting in the Giant Chasm, hoping for Metang, Lunatone or Solrock. I'll have to come prepared for this hunt, though... Metang's low catch rate and potential Lunatone/Solrock Explosions are scary. Still, I'm really excited to finally finish this quest after getting past the giant-a** roadblock that was Volcarona. XD

Good luck to all of you on your hunts, and may 2017 bring good luck, health and happiness to everyone!

Atome

Snowy Poochyena
Two more eevee to add to my count tonight, one even came in under 40 sos calls! (It only have 3 perfect IVS and I had recently started the sos battle)
At this rate I'll have every eeveelution except for my umbreon, whom I'm hoping to hatch. (breeding eevees in moonballs for it)

Zenn of Ascension

Been a while since I've posted so it's time to update with the shinies I've managed to get this month!

I don't really hunt in the newer gens because of the increased odds, but there are some really cool shinies this gen that I wanted so I decided to get the shiny charm and get to work. My first hunt was for Type: Null which took 3,200 SR to get which was longer than I expected for a hunt with a shiny charm.

[spoil][IMGSIZE=500]http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o620/ZennofAscension/20161209_212950_1482642017834_zpsoycanyf5.jpg[/IMGSIZE][/spoil]

It's Jolly and has all the IVs it needs except speed which I need to Bottle Cap. Immediately after I completed this hunt I decided I would go and SR Porygon and boy was that a mistake lol. This hunt was unbelievable as I had to get to 8,325 SR before it finally managed to shine. I thought the shiny charm was supposed to help? Absolutely garbage IVs, so thank god for Bottle Caps.

[spoil][IMGSIZE=500]http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o620/ZennofAscension/image_20161224_201421_1482642117910_zpsalt3y9e4.jpg[/IMGSIZE][/spoil]

Since Porygon was taking a long time to appear, I decided to simultaneously hunt for Ferroseed on my 5th gen games using Magnet Pull and a repel trick and after only 1,207 RE she shined.

[spoil][IMGSIZE=500]http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o620/ZennofAscension/20161216_184717_002_zpsbooraomn.jpg[/IMGSIZE][/spoil]

[spoil][IMGSIZE=500]http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o620/ZennofAscension/20161216_195126_zps4go7kqv8.jpg[/IMGSIZE][/spoil]

Got incredible lucky with the nature and good IVs which is unusual for shinies that I find. After such a quick hunt I was motivated and moved on to hunt another 5th gen Pawniard. Using the same method as I did for Ferroseed she shined after only 1,561 encounters.

[spoil][IMGSIZE=500]http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o620/ZennofAscension/20161217_215748_003_zpsjuqqe5cr.jpg[/IMGSIZE][/spoil]
[spoil][IMGSIZE=500]http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o620/ZennofAscension/20161217_220520_zps91eb3xmf.jpg[/IMGSIZE][/spoil]

Really happy that it managed to appear so quickly. Both the Ferroseed and the Pawniard both shined before Porygon which is absolutely incredible. Looks like I should hunt in the older gens where my luck is better lol. Congrats to everyone who has found a shiny and good luck to everyone hunting!

Cyclone

^ where it all began
Does anyone know if Synchronize makes it harder to find shinies in SOS battles? I have been using a Synchronize Kadabra and SOS chaining for Dewpiders for the past 3 weeks and I've only found 2 shinies -- one of which had a different nature than the Synchronize, and the other was found when a different Pokemon was in battle. I have a feeling that Synchronize is overriding the shiny odds, or am I wrong? (Please tell me I'm wrong)

(And yes I do know that Synchronize works a bit differently this Gen)

TheMaster327

I'm at 500 SRs for litten in Sun. Really hoping it shines soon because I'm getting sick of this cutscene and seeing Kahuna Hala's face

You think you have it bad? Try coming back after 6,421 SRs and still not getting a mint owl. I'm so depressed.

Why don't you try the Masuda Method instead of SR ing which of course is full odds? And no, i'm not whining, I am genuinely wondering if anyone has been able to successfully Synchronize an SOS shiny, because I have a feeling it is disrupting the odds.

Not gonna do that, as this Rowlet's for my Trial Quest.

Last edited:

Cyclone

^ where it all began
You think you have it bad? Try coming back after 6,421 SRs and still not getting a mint owl. I'm so depressed.

Why don't you try the Masuda Method instead of SR ing which of course is full odds? And no, i'm not whining, I am genuinely wondering if anyone has been able to successfully Synchronize an SOS shiny, because I have a feeling it is disrupting the odds.

Erron Black

The Outlaw

It's not disrupting the odds. Apparently the odds max out at a 70 chain at 1/683-ish and resets at 255. I can't say whether you're unlucky or not, but if you want a nature that bad, just Masuda Method.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
How are the chance affected by S.O.S?

Erron Black

The Outlaw
How are the chance affected by S.O.S?

There's no way to manipulate S.O.S odds, they simply max out at 1/683 at a 70 chain and resets when you hit a chain of 255.(I still am in disbelief of this. None of my S.O.S shines have ever gone above 255)

The only way to manipulate a shiny in any way in Gen 7 is the Masuda Magikarp Method. Even then your odds are still the same Masuda Odds, it just makes getting the shiny WAY faster.

Draknir

Fear the Deer
So, it's been a few months since I last posted, so congrats to all of the Shinies since then!

Back in September, I finally got the hang of Gen VI Pokeradar and got myself a Shiny Skiddo in 35 resets. Then, I got a Shiny Bulbasaur in only 24 eggs, making it my fastest MM hunt ever. After that, I got a Shiny Larvesta after 1013 Friend Safari encounters. My last Gen VI shiny of the year was a Shiny Nidoran F after 501 hordes.

Now, on to Gen VII. My first Shiny was a completely random Haunter while trying to find a Mimikyu to SOS hunt for. Ended up shelving that hunt for now. Next, my first Gen VII Pokemon as a Shiny, Popplio, came after 178 eggs. Then I decided to try and find a Shiny Grubbin, and after only 35 SOS encounters I found one. Next, I went for a Shiny Alolan Grimer (Basically, I'm hunting for Shiny versions of my team for Moon), and after 103 SOS encounters I got a HA Shiny one. Then, yesterday I thought "It's been a bit since I got a random Shiny" while grinding in a Sun Wedlocke. Less than 10 encounters later, a random Shiny Pelipper appeared. Definitely a case "Ask and you shall receive." Then, I decided to go for a Shiny Mudbray, and after only 25 SOS encounters I got one.

Treecko, Ralts, 4 Oddish, 2 Tentacool, 2 Magikarp, 4 Feebas, 2 Carvanha, Luvdisc, 2 Skrelp, Poliwag, 3 Poliwhirl, Sableye, Skarmory, Weepinbell, Frogadier, 2 Whiscash, 7 freaking Wailmer, 2 Horsea, Nosepass, Goldeen, Uxie, Basculin, Whismur, Rufflet, Vulpix, Latios, Metang, Zekrom, Zigzagoon, Poochyena, Illumise, Vanillite, Zubat, Mesprit, 3 Porygon, Hawlucha, Manectric, Skiddo, Bulbasaur, Larvesta, Nidoran F, Haunter, Popplio, Grubbin, A-Grimer, Pelipper, Mudbray.

Total: 69 (+27 from last year)
Random Shinies: 4
Best month: January (36)
Favorite Shiny: Treecko
Most annoying Shiny dupes: WAILMER

Yep. I think 2016 was a good year for me as far as Shinies go.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
A 2016 shiny year in review doesn't seem to bad of an idea. I'll gather up a list of what I got over the past year and post them!

Currently doing some breeding reqs so Sandshrew is on hold for now. Hope I can get a Slush Rush one!