• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Echo Nacyl

Not much to report, just a shiny Petilil at a SOS chain of roughly 49. Adamant with 31s in Atk, SpAtk, Def and Speed. I've put my MM hunts on hold for the moment, as I've been busy training things I've moved through PokeBank, among other things.

I'm trying to get myself to do my first BQ ever, on one of my favorite games. Haven't been SRing for long, but am currently at 700 SRs for my starter in SoulSilver.

Best of luck to TheMaster327 and Cyberra. I hope you guys get your starters soon!

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
I decided to try for another eevee (This time for an Umbreon) hoping not to have the 1,000+ eggs that happened with my Leafeon.

Well it didn't take that many eggs this time and a shiny (unfortunately no HA) careful male on egg 112.

So, I've found 8 shinies on Sun since I last posted here.

I don't have pics, but here's what I've found: Araquanid, Cutiefly (now Ribombee), Exeggcute (now Exeggcutor), Hakamo-o (now Kommo-o), Meawth (now Persian), Cubone (now Marowak), Grubbin (now Vikavolt), and Pichu (now Raichu).

So basically, I've been hunting a lot.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Strange; everyone's talking about Sun and Moon shinies, but I haven't got a single one yet. Though I guess that comes from not doing the SOS. Still, from what I hear people are more lucky with the random shiny encounter in Gen 7

While Minior is undoubtedly my favorite shiny of this generation and it might actually be my new favorite of all, Mimikyu is a really good shiny

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
Well I was looking for a drowzee to start ev training my umbreon and I ran into a Shiny Smeargle.

He's Adamant natured and called Picasso.

Now I'll continue ev training now.

Scherzando

scare-TZAN-doe
Just a few more 5IV projects before I start my next MM, for which I will be using the Magikarp swap method again! At first I thought it was just to save time, but now I see how useful it is when trying to get a specific ability/gender combo so you don't have to keep breeding the same one over and over if you don't get what you wanted the first time. I have it all planned out:
If the Magikarp is male with HA, I'll swap to Swirlix.
If it's male without HA, swap to Litwick.
Female with HA, Eevee. (I actually want a male but it'll still be a 75% chance of getting it)
Female without HA, Oricorio.
THIS IS THE FUTURE OF SHINY BREEDING! :D I can see how a lot of traditional shiny hunters might hate it and everyone who exploits it.

...I wonder if Game Freak knew this would happen when they changed the mechanics. What do you guys think? I bet they want to patch it out in the next game. That's what they get for trying to punish those of us who SR'd after hatching eggs to save on Daycare fees.

EDIT: I think I now kinda distrust this method.... 159 eggs (sets of 30) I went through to hatch a shiny magikarp, as it was male I swaped it for Deino and on that egg... No shiny. The only thing which I think could of thrown it was the fact I had placed an everstone on my 6iv Hydregon but still it's really upseting I lost a shiny I have always wanted to no apparent reason...

The everstone's not supposed to mess anything up though, it's only if you (re)move the destiny knot. The only thing I can think of is maybe you miscounted the eggs? all the guides recommend hatching one set of 30 at a time so it's easier to keep track while still being enough to give you a decent chance of a shiny in that set. Sorry you lost a shiny :(

Last edited:

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
Well my opinion of the Magikarp swap is kinda indifferent really and I will only be using it for specific pokemon like Deino or Salandit (Which is what I am doing right now) but if one doesn't care for ability or gender and the hatch cycle doesn't take a fornight I'll go do it the traditional MM way because if I hatch the shiny I want like the Litten or Eevee from yesterday I can skip the remeber what egg hatched the shiny while away from the house.

So right now I am doing the Deino/Salandit/Mudbray/Cubone/Slowpoke/Poplio/Seel/Mimikyu hunt, oviously since Gender is uncertain if I get a female magikarp I'll hatch for Salandit but if it's not a female when the Salandit shows up I'll reset and go Deino.

EDIT: I think I now kinda distrust this method.... 159 eggs (sets of 30) I went through to hatch a shiny magikarp, as it was male I swaped it for Deino and on that egg... No shiny. The only thing which I think could of thrown it was the fact I had placed an everstone on my 6iv Hydregon but still it's really upseting I lost a shiny I have always wanted to no apparent reason...

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Spoke too soon. I was level grinding, and suddenly I come across a green Pelipper. Not my ideal because I have a shiny Wingull, but that could be for trade fodder. It was a pleasent surprise

Echo Nacyl

My understanding is that it (Swap Method) should work as long as you're using MM/Shiny Charm and Pokemon with a Gender ratio, and leaving the D.Knot in place. Would really like to know if I'm missing something there, because I was setting a few things up to work towards a Salandit, with alternatives for males.

Generally I'd rather hunt my target specifically. I'm only interested in making an exception for Salandit because 4 male shiny Combees were enough of a pain, and I never even got that female. I gotta have my shiny lizard though.

Last edited:

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
I must've of taken the D.knot out at some point... The guide I read of it didn't mention it...

Same here really.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Scherzando on Magikarp/Ralts, maldoror on Sandshrew, Manakete-Girl on Litten and Eevee and Smeargle, RedJirachi on Pelipper, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thanks for the good luck, maldoror and Samayouru :)

-------------

I can’t even freaking deal with my games anymore. I am SO UNBELIEVABLY SICK OF THIS CRAP. Phanpy was swarming on Platinum again. What do I end up with? A Machop. Again. How the hell am I possibly this unlucky? What even are the odds to continuously find these duplicates over and over and over again? That makes 4 of my 6 shinies this year completely useless.

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/z1DA46o.jpg[/IMG200]

I seriously don’t even understand it. And then I waited to find a Machop after capturing this shiny. How many encounters did it take to find one? 25. That’s 24 encounters without a single Machop. I do so many encounters without even coming across these duplicates yet somehow they’re all that shines. I just can’t comprehend it.

Good luck, everyone (especially Cyberra, TheMaster327, Bumblebee5253, umbreonfan3636, ChaoticInverse, CharlieDoryRose, SheroGH, G-Money, Martinzqx, tui, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

Crimson_Blazer

Managed to SOS myself another adamant physical attacker. This time a stufful. Unfortunately it ended up having Klutz instead of fluffy so I'll have to grind for an ability capsule at some point :/ named it Hunnee and caught it in a repeat ball

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
Just a few more 5IV projects before I start my next MM, for which I will be using the Magikarp swap method again! At first I thought it was just to save time, but now I see how useful it is when trying to get a specific ability/gender combo so you don't have to keep breeding the same one over and over if you don't get what you wanted the first time. I have it all planned out:
If the Magikarp is male with HA, I'll swap to Swirlix.
If it's male without HA, swap to Litwick.
Female with HA, Eevee. (I actually want a male but it'll still be a 75% chance of getting it)
Female without HA, Oricorio.
THIS IS THE FUTURE OF SHINY BREEDING! :D I can see how a lot of traditional shiny hunters might hate it and everyone who exploits it.

...I wonder if Game Freak knew this would happen when they changed the mechanics. What do you guys think? I bet they want to patch it out in the next game. That's what they get for trying to punish those of us who SR'd after hatching eggs to save on Daycare fees.

The everstone's not supposed to mess anything up though, it's only if you (re)move the destiny knot. The only thing I can think of is maybe you miscounted the eggs? all the guides recommend hatching one set of 30 at a time so it's easier to keep track while still being enough to give you a decent chance of a shiny in that set. Sorry you lost a shiny :(

I have been shiny hunting since B/W2 and the karp method doesnt really hurt my feelings regarding exploiting the fun.
The karp method is great, its not really ruining the fun if it saves you the pain of getting Shiny male Salandit's, non HA Nidoran or genderless mons who takes ages to breed.

I think I mm'd like 20+ mons on SuMo without the karp method and I got 6 shiny's with the Karp method in record time.
I'm addicted to the Karp method now since it is so fast and its not really cheating ( Although its arguable that its not how the develops want you to shiny hunt like this )
since you will still need to find that Shiny frame that links to your intern Shiny ID.

Anyway, if you have questions regarding the karp method
I can probably help you out with it since mistakes can be made easily when you are not aware of some stuff about it.

Good luck fellow shiny hunters !

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
With my karp experiance (Which I'll be doing till I get my Shiny Female Salandit) I did count it as 4th egg of second set so the 9th. I hatched 30 eggs to cover the miscount possiblity. I'll stop once I get the female Salandit.

I did do like 50 soft resets for Type Null but nothing, oh well I wasn't really trying...

Last edited:

LilyValley

Useless Sceptile
Hey, it sure has been a while. I have gotten back into hatching for shinies recently, and I left off with an unfinished Bruxish search. Last night I managed to bring the eggs hatched to a total of 99. Today, I hatched one more... it was shiny. So exactly at 100, I got my shiny Bruxish. This is so strange, right? Jolly, with decent potential and in a Quick Ball. Female too.

I'll think about what I want to do in Moon next. Regardless, I have a handful of hunts I would like to get done in Omega Ruby, because of the invaluable move tutors there. Until then, I'll see you later. Good luck and may your targets appear quickly!

Manakete-Girl

'Cause Dragon Types
Well I finally managed the swap! Because yet again the Magikarp is male I swapped for Deino and after what became a total of 525 eggs (Inculding the lost shiny...) I got my Shiny Deino at last!

Now for round 2! If Female Salandit and if male Mudbray! Tomorrow of course after I get my English test done.

Last edited:

AmethystLeslie

In my hopes to combine egg moves and pokeballs in Moon, a surprise shiny Axew was hatched.

Quick Ball, female, Adamant, Mold Breaker, with the moves Scratch, Iron Tail, and Dragon Pulse. IVs are Best/Decent/Best/Pretty Good/Best/Pretty Good.

Dammit, I wanted Beast Ball.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I did some more S.O.S. encounters on Moon version this afternoon, but sadly I've had no luck finding a shiny Mareanie or any shinies in general in the Gen 7 games so far. I didn't do any chain fishing for shinies these past few days cuz I was focusing on my shiny Mareanie and shiny Giratina hunts exclusively, the latter of which I've done a couple hundred more soft resets for this week hee hee.

Echo Nacyl

So, I was setting up some Pokemon that share Salandit's 87.5M/12.5F ratio. Among these are some starters that I bred together a special ball and the HA, now that that's possible. While doing this, however, one decided it didn't want to cooperate and popped out shiny before its egg moves and IVs had been set up. Fortunately, I had saved just two parties of eggs earlier, so I swapped it out for my shiny Oshawott instead. Shell Armor, Moon Ball, Adamant, 31/31/31/31/Pretty Good/31, Night Slash/Copycat/Brine. One of my favorite shiny starters.

Up to 1300 SRs for my SS starter.

How many seconds does it normally take you to complete one SR cycle
Um...I have no idea. I haven't timed it and have no real interest in doing so. If I focus wholly on it, I can do SRs pretty quickly. However, I rarely put my full focus on SRing, so it does go slower than it could.

Last edited: