• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Official New and Improved General Shiny Thread

Cyberra

pain in the ***
In the interest of finally getting my shiny rock puppy and inability to get my hands on an adrenaline orb, I instead went for a different solution. I went back to Y and chain fished up a shiny magikarp. Male, named Kaiser ("Emperor" in German), hardy nature and loves to eat, with Swift Swim. I'm currently stuffing it with Speed and ATK EVs, then will send it ahead to Sun as a gyarados and Intimidate the stupid rockruff into calling for help. It should also be helpful in getting me a shiny grubbin should I choose to hunt one of them later.

umbreonfan3636

Hey everyone, it's been a while. After a little over 1k eggs around half of which were via the Magikarp switch method in Moon, I got my Adamant Technician Scyther. Unfortunately it is missing a 31 IV in Attack, but I will bottle cap it soon and it will be a part of my Battle Tree team!

Next I think I will try to finish my Platinum BQ.

Congrats to everyone on your recent shinies, special congrats to cpchris on that Miltank, it is one of my bucket list shinies (and it looks way better in 4th gen as a sprite).

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I hear people have been the luckiest getting random shinies in the current Sun and Moon games. When in your playthrough did you get your first random shiny in that game? Me, it would be Pelipper after Seafolk Island but before Hapu's trial

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
GUYS

SOMEONE'S FIGURED OUT HOW TO GET PAST THE SHINY LOCK FOR THE TAPUS USING FIRMWARE AND A RANDOMIZER!!!!

HALLELUJAH PRAISE HELIX MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN ANSWERED!

*ahem* Now that I've learnt about this I am going to definitely hunt for the Tapus when I'm done with my other hunts going on. I'm kinda sad that it'll be semi-legit but Game Freak's forced my hand one too many times for me to care about their dumb rules any more.

I'm nearing 4,000 SRs for Bulbasaur. I managed to score a legit copy of Leafgreen so I can quad hunt for that like I did with Squirtle. I haven't actually touched my Turtwig hunt in a while and I stopped after 10,000 REs on my Route 114 hunt to take a break and do other things for a while.

Congrats to all the recent shinies and good luck with all of your hunts! May the odds be in your favour!

EDIT: well it seems that the odds were in my favour today because a shiny Treecko appeared in Omega Ruby today! My phone's damaged and needs repairs, so no pics. D:

It's male and the nature is Brave. Named him Ivan. So now I can officially say that the Hoenn starter trio is complete now!

Last edited:

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
So, decided on a whim to go for a shiny Rufflet SOS hunt after my shiny Chikorita hunt came out so well! I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Vroomer

Yay! Finally! After a few days of dry spells. Friend Safari in Y. Shiny Helioptile!!! Digging the red look.

Current Shiny Hunts:
VC Red: Mewtwo
HG: Articuno
Y: Friend Safari of my choosing
OR: Breeding Litwick

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I was doing some idle WT'ing while shuffling the visitors in my festival plaza and someone traded me a lvl 100, female, modest, pixilate shiny sylveon. She's Korean and holding a choice specs. According to the summary it came from Hoenn. Dunno if she's legit (sorta doubting it), but I'm going to keep her anyway. No IVs marked, so dunno what her spread is.

Terra Force

<-- Current Hunt
Checking in with some shiny hunting news. I've picked up my charmander hunt after quite a while in the hopes that I can play through my firered with a shiny charizard. I'm currently at 9,600 SRs. Best of luck to everyone on your hunts.

TheMaster327

I was doing some idle WT'ing while shuffling the visitors in my festival plaza and someone traded me a lvl 100, female, modest, pixilate shiny sylveon. She's Korean and holding a choice specs. According to the summary it came from Hoenn. Dunno if she's legit (sorta doubting it), but I'm going to keep her anyway. No IVs marked, so dunno what her spread is.

You can get Eevee from Route 116 in Hoenn in ORAS post-Groudon/Kyogre. DexNav exclusive I think.

So I've started up my next hunt on the STQ. Wela Volcano Park for anything but a male Salandit. Got a male Igglybuff Cute Charm lead just in case. 1,125 REs so far.

I would use Sylveon. You're very likely to have a male Eevee, and thus the rare female Salandit/Combee isn't an issue. Speaking of which, does the Cute Charm trick need the front party to be Cute Charm or not?

I already had a male Igglybuff on me, also, Sylveon's a pain to evolve. And yes, the Cute Charmer does need to be leading the party. Even if it's dead.

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
You can get Eevee from Route 116 in Hoenn in ORAS post-Groudon/Kyogre. DexNav exclusive I think.

So I've started up my next hunt on the STQ. Wela Volcano Park for anything but a male Salandit. Got a male Igglybuff Cute Charm lead just in case. 1,125 REs so far.

I would use Sylveon. You're very likely to have a male Eevee, and thus the rare female Salandit/Combee isn't an issue. Speaking of which, does the Cute Charm trick need the front party to be Cute Charm or not?

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!

Yes it does but you can faint the Cute Charmer if it has trouble dealing with what you're trying to catch. For SOS battles though the Cute Charmer has to not be fainted and be in the battle for it to work. Same applies with Synchronise.

maldoror

Congrats to all on your recent shinies and good luck on your ongoing hunts!

Yesterday morning, while I was taking a break from hatching Growlithe eggs, my dog Rocky knocked my 3DS from my table which dislodged the cartridge. I had already hatched 2 of the 3 boxes of eggs I had gathered, so I restarted from the end of the 3rd to work my way back. The 5th egg of that group was a shiny adamant male Growlithe with intimidate. I named him after Rocky, but gave him one of Rocky's nicknames instead; one earned from one of Rocky's more disgusting habits. Yucky is now an Arcanine well on his way to level 100 to bottle cap the defense he missed out on.

Grinding to level 100 in Sun and Moon is brutal. I am taking a break in hunting to get my competitive team leveled (and bottle capped where needed) for Zenkaikon this coming weekend and the tournament. I haven't settled on my team, so I have about 20 shinies to finish leveling up in the next few days. Luckily I have about 44 bottle caps from loading my festival plaza with lottery booths.

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to maldoror on Beldum, GuessWhosMac on Cynadquil, TheMaster327 on Psyduck, Requiem Aeternam on both Nidoran, Nutter t.KK on Litten, umbreonfan3636 on the swap/Scyther, maldoror on Growlithe, and everyone else on your shinies!

Thank you for the congrats, umbreonfan3636 :)

-------------

*sigh*…I honestly am not really sure why I even bother hunting on Platinum at this point. This game all but refuses to give me my targets. After 19,728 REs, on the 528th RE of the day, a shiny Starly appeared.

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/muZaTdl.jpg[/IMG200]

Zigzagoon was swarming again so I was hunting it on route 202. My previous Platinum shiny was also found for the same reason, except it ended up being a Bidoof after 11k REs…So I guess at least Starly is better. But before that, it was a duplicate Machop instead of the swarming Phanpy; before that, a 30% Bibarel for the 5th time on that route instead of 20% Ralts (or at the very least, Roselia); before that, a Snorunt, which I really wanted so Platinum must have messed up there; and before that, another Machop, again while hunting swarming Phanpy.

The swarms are 40%. So I’m supposed to have a pretty decent chance of getting them already. Throw in repel tricks for some of these, and it should be closer to 50%. Yet somehow, I get unwanted duplicates instead. Out of the 6 times I’ve found a shiny during a swarm on Platinum, only once has it actually been a swarm target. And out of the 5 times that weren’t my swarm target, 3 of them had a pretty decent chance of at least being something that would be useful to me. But nope. Never. Always the things that serve no purpose.

I’m stubborn so I keep hunting, but it seems incredibly futile hunting anything that isn’t 100% on Platinum (hell, even on Black 2 I seem to frequently get the unlikely, low-percentage trash, though they’ve at least been new shinies). If I hunt something that’s even 99%, pretty sure it would give me the 1% useless junk. It just gets frustrating when this happens so often. I get that finding the unlikely non-targets is bound to happen sometimes, but nearly every time? That’s freakin absurd.

Good luck, everyone (especially Terra Force, TheMaster327, Crimson Penguin, Bumblebee5253, umbreonfan3636, CharlieDoryRose, SheroGH, G-Money, Martinzqx, tui, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Yes it does but you can faint the Cute Charmer if it has trouble dealing with what you're trying to catch. For SOS battles though the Cute Charmer has to not be fainted and be in the battle for it to work. Same applies with Synchronise.

That, like Geodude SOSing, sounds like a major hassle

Requiem Aeternam

Dance like an eggplant!
Congrats to everyone on their new shinies :)

I'm now nearing 1680 eggs for my shiny, 0 attack female Nidoran. This shiny is really making me work for it. I ended up switching out my 6IV Ditto for a 5 IV, 0 attack Squirtle from my OR to give myself a better chance of getting the attack IV I want especially given that all 3 of the shinies I've hatched so far have had high attack IVs. With the new parent the only way I'll get the wrong IV is if attack is the IV that is randomly generated which I really hope doesn't happen. I really want this hunt to end soon. I finished last night with 18 eggs left to hatch so I put them all in Pelago to let them hatch while I'm at work. Hoping maybe one of them is the shiny but I'm not getting my hopes up. Not sure what my next target will be. I was thinking Decidueye.

Good luck to everyone in their hunts :)

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I wasn't shiny hunting, but I came across a shiny Alolan Raticate on Poni Island. It kinda surprised me.

Congratulations! Would you say it's better or worse than a shiny Kanto Raticate?

Echo Nacyl

5600 SRs in SS, still no dice.

However, I did get myself a shiny Tauros in Moon after what felt like far too many eggs (didn't count). He's Jolly, 5v missing SpDef, and has the wrong ability, so I'l haved to capsule it, but still glad to finally have him.

Krokodyl

Hello everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. I'd been meaning to join earlier, but my luck's been among the stars today so I figured now was as good a time as any.

So I'm doing a type quest in Pokemon Sun, where I catch one new shiny (Gen 7 or Alolan form) as a representative of each type for a total of 18 shinies before challenging the Elite 4. I've got most of the ones I need (I'll list them out when I get my next member) but I decided to take a break and farm some Heart Scales from the Luvdisc in Melemele Sea. However, one of my item swipers is also my SOS hunting Fearow, so I thought that just for fun if a Corsola came up I'd chain it for a bit, since I'd seen a few people here trying to SOS Mareanie. So I started today (college had kept me away a while) and first thing that comes up is a Corsola. I false-swipe it down, use an Adrenaline Orb and idly start chaining. First call, normal Corsola. Second call, and I thought, "That Corsola looks like the wrong shape and colo... OMG!" Shiny Mareanie on the second call! Caught it in a Poke Ball without a struggle. Mild nature, Limber, and somewhat garbage stats, but I don't play competitively, so I don't care.

Then, less than an hour later, I had gotten my Heart Scales and was training some Grass/pseudo Grass types on Hano Beach. I'd just gotten my Comfey to my target level and thought about leaving, but I only had two sand spots left and my Leafeon was about to level up, so I stayed. I ran into the next spot and BOOM- white star with blue core, Shiny Staryu! Naughty nature, Illuminate, and again somewhat garbage stats, but again I really can't complain.

I do have the shiny charm to help with the type quest thanks to my completed Moon, but this has still been a crazy day! Good luck to everyone else on their hunts!

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I did some more egg hatching this afternoon for my ongoing shiny Mareanie hunt on Moon version using the Masuda method and I spent some extra time cleaning my PC boxes cuz the hatchlings were clogging them up ha ha. I did some chain fishing on Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby as well last night and I was planning on working on my shiny Regigigas hunt as well, tho I ran out of free time earlier today, so I'll have to attempt that tomorrow I guess. :]

Cpchris

Shiny Hunter
Congrats to Ashcot on Raticate, Echo Nacyl on Tauros, Krokodyl on Staryu, and everyone else on your shinies!

-------------

Larvitar was swarming on Platinum today, so that was my target. But after 1,539 REs, on the 339th RE of the night, I ended up finding a shiny Gligar!

[IMG200]http://i.imgur.com/qyUT7iA.jpg[/IMG200]

Certainly wasn’t expecting this to shine. It’s normally 10% at night here, so I believe it’s less when you factor in the swarm. So once again, my swarm hunt was thwarted on Platinum by a non-swarm shiny >.< But at least it was something new! Which is especially good considering there ARE Machop on this route…Unfortunately, it’s a Mild nature with pretty bad IVs, so I think I’ll leave it unevolved and hope I find a better one in the future, which will probably be a very long time…

Good luck, everyone (especially Terra Force, TheMaster327, Crimson Penguin, Bumblebee5253, umbreonfan3636, CharlieDoryRose, SheroGH, G-Money, Martinzqx, tui, markasdarkas, RaichuArcanine, pokemaster13, Tina, Shy, Ruru_star, skilax1234, Pluski, ElectricBassClef, and Nakashima)!